Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
He probably won't be QUITE the hitter Egan is (and who else in the entire GAME can say that?), but he'll certainly play a more premium position, so there's value in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Yeah obviously he won't hit as well as Egan but even if he falls short of being a shortstop because the team that drafts him has a lovely fielding coach, he'll still play 162 games of drat good CF/3b defense with good baserunning to top it all off.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah worst case scenario he's a perennial MVP candidate Gold Glove third baseman.

Think I'm gonna offer Milwaukee his pick of any three of my guys at rollover, but I probably don't have enough to get it done :v:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
If Milwaukee even sees him.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He's got 16 in college. I'd send in a ticket if I didn't see that guy at 16.

And I don't know what Cincinnati is on about this draft being bad. Looks fairly deep to me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gyro was at 14 the year he didn't see Glen Little with the first overall pick. It wouldn't surprise me.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

gyro was at 14 the year he didn't see Glen Little with the first overall pick. It wouldn't surprise me.

I still get mad about that

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

gyroball posted:

I still get mad about that

I don't

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't

Not surprising, if I see Little arguably you don't have him or Egan right now (though god knows how else other things would have unfolded)

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Had a couple players finish 1-2 in MVP voting in another world, separated by one vote. Who would you vote for?

1B Virgil Lewis
159 games, 588 AB, .318/.387/.607, 43 HR, 148 RBI, 80 XBH, 61 BB, 41 K, 2 E, +0/-6 on D

2B Taylor Turner
156 games, 632 AB, .313/.383/.560, 27 HR, 130 RBI, 89 XBH, 71 BB, 51 K, 9 E, +0/-8 on D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

To me, Taylor Turner wins it pretty handily between positional adjustment and more plate appearances.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Turner in a loving landslide yes B-B-B-BUT DINGERS

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

The way some teams handle their minor leagues blows my mind

L61

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Seems like my minors from Ruth, if you have zeroed out all scouting/development/coaching for the minors whats the point in caring and wasting 2m on it?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

L61
L120

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

The thing that bothers me the most about that is the lower case team name

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ivan Drago posted:

L120

Was it L158 for nasboat's progressive league team?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Power of Pecota posted:

Was it L158 for nasboat's progressive league team?

IIRC he went 2-160 (both wins came against my team)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm picking in the supplemental so I get no comp D if I gently caress up. When a guy is asking to be picked in the first does the supplemental round count?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Depends, but that guy is worth risking it anyway

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
Made the playoffs in Alexander with Salem, if any of the 15 former owners care.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This IFA just signed in Hometown for 21m. This is a world where they had to cap prospect budgets at 30m because of rampant IFA spending.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

God damnit as if I don't have enough problems to deal with on Madison's team.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

This loving wild card.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

And to think you were about to give up on your season a few weeks ago!

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

And to think you were about to give up on your season a few weeks ago!

I did give up on my season i traded half my starting pitching for a young guy at a position I already have. Not my fault that actually lead to winning!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

This IFA just signed in Hometown for 21m. This is a world where they had to cap prospect budgets at 30m because of rampant IFA spending.

100 velocity with a 100 fastball :swoon:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Just had two separate OL seasons end, anyone in for a goon rush, chime in.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I'd be in sometime this weekend.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i have a team built that i've been waiting to use

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

I'd be up for one

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

In other news, here's a neat league

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Time for another round of "AV Complains About HBD Sparky" and while it is partly me venting whenever I bring him up, I am honestly trying to better understand how the sim works, so if anyone can enlighten me here I'm all ears.

The game in question. My starter, Vic Molina, goes 7 shutout innings, gives up 3 hits and 2 walks on 97 pitches. He's cruising. He gets pulled at the beginning of the 8th for one of my setup men, even though his TPC/MPC is 100/120. It's AL so there was no pinch hitter. On top of that, the reliever who is put in is a lefty and the next three batters are righties. You're starter is averaging less than 14 pitches per inning, you have a 23 pitch cushion to work with, you've got a string of righties coming up...why would Sparky pull him there? Why?

I'm sending in a ticket on this one because I can't find any reasoning for this at all. I need to have this explained to me because it makes no sense.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
This is so far the most fun team I've ever had.

Leading the league in wins, runs allowed, errors, + plays, third in runs scored. The inevitable regression will be sad but man this owns.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

This is so far the most fun team I've ever had.

Leading the league in wins, runs allowed, errors, + plays, third in runs scored. The inevitable regression will be sad but man this owns.

A Dave Kingman with only 2 hr in 90 at bats, a shameful Kingman

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Ok friends, enlisting your consultation. In GW1, we're just before ST, and I got a big offer for Virgil Lewis, the guy I always talk about. The offer goes so:

Virgil Lewis - 24-year-old 1B. Recently signed to a 5/$35M contract that bought out 2 free agent years. Multiple MVP top 5s. Contact and power. Defense not so much, even at 1B.

I'd give him up for:

Vern Ryal - 26-year-old position-less bat. Contact lacking but good power. Performance history shaky. Two more arb years of control.

Yoo-Nah Martin - 23-year-old SP. Control a little iffy, good splits and decent pitches. Has no ML service time, so 6 years of control.

Hank Haynes - 32-year-old 1B/DH that would immediately fill in for Lewis. D is a bit better, bat ratings on the whole are a bit down from Lewis but above 80 where it matters. Signed for $5.3M, $5.3M and $6.5M over three seasons.

Thoughts?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I wouldn't even seriously consider that, but IIRC Iowa City has a bunch of bigger fish you might be able to get.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

I wouldn't even seriously consider that, but IIRC Iowa City has a bunch of bigger fish you might be able to get.

What am I missing? I love Lewis, but I replace a good chunk of his offense immediately, plus upgrade my pitching, and none are rentals.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

What am I missing? I love Lewis, but I replace a good chunk of his offense immediately, plus upgrade my pitching, and none are rentals.

Lewis is the best commodity in the trade by a mile. Ryal is a league average 3B and that production is not hard to get at all, Martin is a 3/4 type starter, and Haynes is older than Lewis, worse, and already declining.

GW1 also has a higher than average talent level, so the value of the superstars goes up because the average guys are easier to acquire.

If I offered that trade in Dimaggio it would be vetoed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I took a look at Iowa City's roster and my old GW spreadsheets and basically if you're making a deal with him for Lewis you need to get back Bocachica, Rosado, or Kennedy as the centerpiece, and preferably also get Rafael Aquino who is his High-A stud pitching prospect. The Ryal/Martin class should be the extra third piece of a three piece deal, not the important stuff, and I think you can get a Hank Haynes type guy for really cheap to begin with.

• Locked thread