Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Sunday's adorable! I love her coloring :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think Abby qualifies for this thread, especially since she's huge for a female greyhound (76 pounds!). She turned four last week -

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

rear end Crackers! posted:

Holy gently caress, there are not enough :3:'s enough for this picture!

Don't they just start out as the cutest little potatos? :3: Happy Birthday Sunday. And Abby. I hope she's doing better with her UTI (or was it a kidney infection? bladder infection?)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

UTI. She's doing fine though I'm still in the process of cleaning the carpets!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

rear end Crackers! posted:

Holy gently caress, there are not enough :3:'s enough for this picture!

That was from when we visited her for the first time, I think she was 6 weeks old then. She wasn't great at walking yet, she was super wobbly and would fall over. My heart melts just thinking about it. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I think Abby qualifies for this thread, especially since she's huge for a female greyhound (76 pounds!). She turned four last week -

I must have a birthday hat for Sunday!!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Veruca Salt posted:

This one killed me, thanks! :laugh:

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
I have a question for the dane owners in here. My dane, Remy(he's 16 months btw)seems really skinny to me. My breeder told me this is normal for danes until they're full grown but I just wanted to get yalls opinion about it. All I have is a lovely cell phone camera at the moment so I can't get a good picture, but his ribs and spine are clearly visible. Otherwise, he has a soft shiny coat, is very active, and is pretty darn strong(made my wrist sore for a week after a tug of war session). He gets fed twice a day with half a can of wet food and a 64 ounce cup of dry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All dog food has different calorie measurements, so it's kind of hard to tell if he's getting enough. What're you feeding him?

And a picture will help when you can get a good one.

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
We feed him eagle pack large breed adult which is what the breeder suggested and feeds all her dogs.

Edit: the half a can of wet is a random flavor of alpo. I'll try to get a better picture.

Riscas fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 27, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Riscas posted:

We feed him eagle pack large breed adult which is what the breeder suggested and feeds all her dogs.

Edit: the half a can of wet is a random flavor of alpo. I'll try to get a better picture.

Ugh, I had a huge post typed out to you then I closed the window: :doh:

For starters, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394882 . Eagle Pack isn't the worst food out there but it's definitely not the best. Good breeders usually feed an 'okay' food simply because of how much it costs to feed so many danes. My breeders on both sides feed nutro and I wouldn't touch the stuff these days. If you really want to stay Eagle Pack for dry, maybe consider going to something like Wellness or Blue Buffalo for wet? Alpo is nothing but garbage and you're wasting your money, man. So I won't be including it in the calorie count.

Speaking of, I'm curious. Why are you mixing wet and dry for him?

And are you sure you're measuring the food out right? According to your post you're feeding him sixteen cups of food per day. That's over 6000 kcal. Your dog should be the size of a cow, puppy or not, unless he's running 10-20 miles a day. Puppies need more but my adult danes get between 1500 and 2000kcal a day to give you an idea.

In any case, yeah puppies are usually ribby and gangly and made of goofy looking points. Sunday, a few posts back, can easily show off her rib cage outline in most of those pictures and she's a couple pounds heavy for my taste in danes. She's 12 months old. I can easily see one or two points of my dogs' spines and the outlines of their ribcage/waist. The vets I've used are happy about proper weight danes because a dane overweight can really, really put stress on joints and bones that really don't need it. You know?

But I know you're having some issues getting pictures to upload. Here's a comparison-

This dog is really thin, going on emaciated. You can see the ribs clearly, the spine, the hip points without really trying:

This, on the other hand, is generally the shape you're going to want to start seeing now or very soon with your dane, and this looks like a younger dog. You can see a slight rib or two, there's a visible waistline, the body is well fleshed and the dog looks as if it could go all day:

This is the typical great dane you see running around. It is overweight, though not obese or anything like that. It's also an older dane, but it's the only one I could really find. Losing 5-10 pounds wouldn't hurt this dog at all:

E: :gonk: Tables! Sorry!

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

Its been a couple of months since I've seen my sister's dog Rigley, a 3 (going on 4) year old Bernese Mountain Dog. While I was there it snowed quite a bit to the delight of this big ole goof!

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

informative stuff.
I realised today that the cup is a 32oz cup not a 64. He usually doesn't finish the entire thing.

I would say he looks similar to the second dog you posted but maybe just a little bit skinnier so that makes me feel better.

I mix wet food and dry food because it was the only way I could get him to eat when I first got him and now he just stares at the food bowl when I don't add it in.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Riscas posted:

I realised today that the cup is a 32oz cup not a 64. He usually doesn't finish the entire thing.

I would say he looks similar to the second dog you posted but maybe just a little bit skinnier so that makes me feel better.

I mix wet food and dry food because it was the only way I could get him to eat when I first got him and now he just stares at the food bowl when I don't add it in.

Sunday was like this too, and we started mixing the dry food with water instead of wet food and she likes that. She won't touch food that's completely dry. We mix in wet food sometimes, too, especially when she goes through phases where her appetite drops off for a short periods of time, but I'd highly recommend switching your dog off of Alpo. They make high quality wet foods that aren't that expensive. One of Sunday's favorites is made by Evanger's-- we get her the Pheasant flavor, and it's almost 100% pheasant. Good for supplementing but it's not a complete diet.

nildrohain454
Nov 17, 2006

Conk-a-reeeee!!!

Veruca Salt posted:

Sunday was like this too, and we started mixing the dry food with water instead of wet food and she likes that. She won't touch food that's completely dry. We mix in wet food sometimes, too, especially when she goes through phases where her appetite drops off for a short periods of time, but I'd highly recommend switching your dog off of Alpo. They make high quality wet foods that aren't that expensive. One of Sunday's favorites is made by Evanger's-- we get her the Pheasant flavor, and it's almost 100% pheasant. Good for supplementing but it's not a complete diet.

Mason is the same way. Dry food, he won't touch for hours (I guess he really starts to feel like he's starving and figures out that nobody's adding anything to it). Add a little water, he'll stand there and eat the whole thing in one go. Some dogs just don't like dry food I guess.

Bonus pic for the dorkiest thing he's ever done. He wanted to sit next to my Dad, but also wanted to be in a better position to chew his bone. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, all I had on me at the time.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I just pulled a bunch of pictures off my camera and had to post some Sunday photos :)

I feel like Sunday's look is always very expectant; like, "Yes? Can I help you?"

I love her puddle of lips in this picture:

Sunday and Cooper very excited about a man walking by, I guess:

Sunday is eagerly awaiting your replies.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Sunday is just so happy to see that guy.

How tall is she now to the withers?

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Oh my gaaaawdddd, Sunday looks like the lankiest cow in the world. She's adorable.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
She's gorgeous! I want a horse-dog so bad :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: Sunday is just so happy to see that guy.

How tall is she now to the withers?

I'm not sure, I'll have to measure her when I get home. I saw her playing with some male Danes at daycare the other day, and I was surprised to see that she seems to be just about as tall as the ones that were there, although she's definitely not as bulky. I'm dying to see what her full size is roughly a year from now :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

400 pounds of speckled blue and black couch potato. Guarantee it. And it'll be awesome. Though at about a year they tend to slow down growing a ton. She's probably just about adult sized right now. She might fill out a little bit more, but I think she looks great.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

400 pounds of speckled blue and black couch potato. Guarantee it. And it'll be awesome. Though at about a year they tend to slow down growing a ton. She's probably just about adult sized right now. She might fill out a little bit more, but I think she looks great.

Now that you can see her full figure better, do you still think she could stand to lose a few pounds? I'm just curious, it freaks me out how skinny she is, I have to keep reminding myself that they aren't supposed to be roly-poly like Cooper ;)

Oh no, a little dog in the giant dog thread! Don't tell Cooper he doesn't belong here, he doesn't know he's not big. ;)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What kind of dog is that! That isn't a horse! Get that thing out of here! :3: Cooper's so cute.

I think it was a further back picture that I was basing it off of. She looks really good right now. Looking back, I think it's just the angling with her on the bed and sprawly. She looks almost identicle to the ideal picture I posted, actually:

And that's awesome. I think the above picture might have a little more muscle, but it's a dog, not a bitch, too. Sunday looks awesome. I wanna rub her ears.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Oh I wasn't offended by what you said or anything, I just literally have to force myself to not shove food down Sunday's throat when I can see her last couple ribs and remind myself that she's not starving, that's how she's supposed to look!

Also I do all kinds of ridiculous things with Sunday's ears. Like tie them in a knot over her face when she's trying to sleep... she loves me. :3:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Get Sunday another kitten.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Oh I wasn't offended by what you said or anything, I just literally have to force myself to not shove food down Sunday's throat when I can see her last couple ribs and remind myself that she's not starving, that's how she's supposed to look!

Also I do all kinds of ridiculous things with Sunday's ears. Like tie them in a knot over her face when she's trying to sleep... she loves me. :3:

Yeah, I pretty much continously have to do the same thing with Balen. He's got an old man ribcage rockin' these days and every now and again I want to compulsively stuff him full of treats. Not that he'd mind.

I think I need proof that Sunday's ears tie in a knot. :colbert:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think I need proof that Sunday's ears tie in a knot. :colbert:

Me too. :colbert:

Sunday is so pretty. :allears: How many times do you get shouted at for her being "too skinny?"

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Wulfolme posted:

Get Sunday another kitten.

omg this x1000. That was the most adorable thread :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha I would LOVE to get Sunday another kitten! However we just MIGHT be getting her another Great Dane... I will update on this matter after the weekend... ;) IF that doesn't pan out, I'll definitely consider finding her another kitten. It's just not very often that you stumble on a really "special" animal like Pippa was. She had a little something extra.

It's funny that you ask about the too skinny comment-- my mother, who is mad at me about God knows what and is very passive aggressive by nature, just posted on my Facebook yesterday out of the blue about how thin Sunday is and how she looks anorexic. Which maybe she does, if you put her next to my mother's obese dogs. :rolleyes: Thanks, Mom, for implying I don't take care of my dog you've never met! Other than that, people do occasionally talk about her being very thin, but never anyone who's familiar with Danes.

I will definitely take pictures of Sunday's ears in a knot this weekend! Is that weird? I thought all Danes had such ginormous ears!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Veruca Salt posted:

It's funny that you ask about the too skinny comment-- my mother, who is mad at me about God knows what and is very passive aggressive by nature, just posted on my Facebook yesterday out of the blue about how thin Sunday is and how she looks anorexic. Which maybe she does, if you put her next to my mother's obese dogs. :rolleyes: Thanks, Mom, for implying I don't take care of my dog you've never met! Other than that, people do occasionally talk about her being very thin, but never anyone who's familiar with Danes.

The only logical thing to do is post on her wall about how her dogs are obese and isn't it sad.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Veruca Salt posted:

I will definitely take pictures of Sunday's ears in a knot this weekend! Is that weird? I thought all Danes had such ginormous ears!

You should explain how they're more like beefy, doofy greyhounds than fattyfat mastiffs.

I want a Dane. :(

ETA Also I want a greyhound. Abby is the most beautiful creature.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I want a Dane. :(

ETA Also I want a greyhound. Abby is the most beautiful creature.

Danes are pretty much heavier oversized dumber greyhounds that are slower. So in other words they are nothing like a greyhound and I have no idea what I'm typing.

Balen's ears are pretty long, but Amy's are bizarro ears (like everything else about Amy) and they'll actually stand straight up if you tug them the right way, and stay like that. I don't think she was a crop job gone horribly bad or anything. She's just got really retarded ears.

She also likes to put them over an eye.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
They're much lighter built than some people expect though. More on the greyhound end of the big dawg spectrum than the mastiff end.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

They're much lighter built than some people expect though. More on the greyhound end of the big dawg spectrum than the mastiff end.

They SHOULD be much lighter built than some people expect but a bunch of assholes are pretty stubborn about making danes 200 pounds or some stupidity and I hate them. :colbert:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yeah, that's just stupid... I dunno why you'd want to do that, it seems like asking for trouble.

Also the lighter ones are way more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Like how I prefer deerhounds over wolfhounds. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

No new Great Dane for us yet :( We were supposed to be adopting this little girl:

Who'd been tied up in the backyard for four months and had cuts in her neck from the chain. But they decided they couldn't wait until the next day for us to come get her, and adopted her out from under us to someone Friday night. I'm pretty disappointed.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Veruca Salt posted:

No new Great Dane for us yet :( We were supposed to be adopting this little girl:

Who'd been tied up in the backyard for four months and had cuts in her neck from the chain. But they decided they couldn't wait until the next day for us to come get her, and adopted her out from under us to someone Friday night. I'm pretty disappointed.

Awww :( That sucks that they couldn't wait. She's very pretty too!

...Y'know what'll help? Getting Sunday another kitten :3:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Shebrew posted:

...Y'know what'll help? Getting Sunday another kitten :3:

QFT.

These huge dogs look so goofy and lovable, I'd love to just pet them and loaf about with them. They look like they require a lot of space though! I especially love the poofy bermese mountain dogs :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Do any of your giant dogs have really bizarre fears? I always think it's hilarious when an enormous beast of a dog is terrified of something ridiculous.

For example, Sunday's two biggest fears are guitars and thresholds. We're very musical in our house and there's guitars everywhere and she HATES them. If you start playing a guitar next to her, she jumps up and leaves the room. If you so much as move one around near her, she's out of the room like her tail is on fire. Also she often REFUSES to cross any doorway that has a threshold. She plants all four feet and there is no getting her across unless you physically pick her up. Generally after meeting the same threshold a couple times, she gets over it. It's new ones that she balks at.

My dog can't be the only enormous wuss, what are your dogs afraid of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen is not and has never been fond of doorways. But that's probably because he got his tail crushed as a tiny puppy in his breeder's door. He goes if I asked him to, but he always looks back at me to make sure it's safe the first time he goes through a door. He also hauls rear end away from kitchen sink spray hoses as soon as they're lifted out, not necessarily because of fear, but because he totally knows I'm going to spray him.

Amy still approaches people with her head down, ears back and tail tip wriggling madly between her legs, but at least she approaches them now. She is also absolutely horrified of loud things happening behind her. She'll knock something over with her rear end and go tearing away from it because oh god, scary.