Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

frumpsnake posted:

SuaveHD isn't a bad theme, but once you theme your device you enter the world of hunting around for and/or making replacement icons for all your apps.

The macthemes.net forums is full of random lockscreens and theme packs if you're willing.
I miss SuaveHD. But I don't think I'm ready to JB again just yet.

Is anybody working on updating Winterboard? It's kind of absurd that themes are so universally loved among the JB community but the tool for doing it is now fully 2 OS point versions behind (unless I've missed an update).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
BiteSMS is really winding me up now. A couple of days ago my free trial ran out so now it's running with ads. That's fair enough, but at pretty much the same time it now runs unbearably slow. From my Springboard if I tap on the icon to bring up the app and send a text, it will just show the message history screen for about 10 seconds before I can interact with the keyboard.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

frumpsnake posted:

(theme chat and pictures)

That looks wonderful. What theme is that one?

e: I've got an issue where when I use winterboard and apply a theme it overrules my springboard wallpaper. Happens whether or not I have the "User Wallpaper" option checked in the theme section. Anyone know a fix for this? I've been using the Suave HD theme.

baram. fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 8, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Baram posted:

That looks wonderful. What theme is that one?

e: I've got an issue where when I use winterboard and apply a theme it overrules my springboard wallpaper. Happens whether or not I have the "User Wallpaper" option checked in the theme section. Anyone know a fix for this? I've been using the Suave HD theme.

The theme itself is specifying a wallpaper (it has nothing to do with any other option selected).

You will have to dig into the theme's files and remove the wallpaper part.

I'm sure the dozens/hundreds/thousands of themes with Wallpapers on Cydia made sense on the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, but it's pretty stupid for those things to exist any more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

First time jailbreaker here. Just broke my iPhone 4 in. I've been reading a handful of pages on here, but what are the best themes I should try out?

100% of themes look like poo poo. Don't bother.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

100% of themes look like poo poo. Don't bother.

I understand some people want to have their phone look unique, but this is how I feel about themes: who do I want designing my phone's appearance, some of the best designers in the world who are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by Apple or a 16-year-old on deviantArt making GBS threads out themes in a pirated version of Photoshop?

There are really only two or three that are even passable, and sometimes I want to change that picture in the op so people don't just think jailbreaking = pretty themes, but I don't know what else to put there.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

maduin posted:

There are really only two or three that are even passable, and sometimes I want to change that picture in the op so people don't just think jailbreaking = pretty themes, but I don't know what else to put there.

5 row keyboard? SBSettings? PerPageHTML? Maybe even something like a biteSMS notification. Just throwing some ideas at you.

But yeah, some of the coolest things can't even be shown in a screenshot, like Zephyr, GV extensions or the no accessory splash mod.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

obi_ant posted:

Sweet Christ. I'm using FakeClockUp at 10x and holy poo poo. It's like a completely different phone! I suggest that everyone download this immediately.

Jesus... I never changed the setting so I didn't really know what it did. I had to go down to 5x, I was getting anxiety working at 10x.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

obi_ant posted:

Sweet Christ. I'm using FakeClockUp at 10x and holy poo poo. It's like a completely different phone! I suggest that everyone download this immediately.

I did, and wow. This is sweet. Maybe not 10x, but the "speed up" is awesome. Thanks for bumbling my memory, and getting me to download it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Jesus... I never changed the setting so I didn't really know what it did. I had to go down to 5x, I was getting anxiety working at 10x.

One of the interesting things about UIs is that when something happens too fast, consumers don't appreciate it. For instance, when you load up a list on a webpage, if the page loads up too fast, customers don't believe the results listed are valuable. When there is some lag and "busy" signals associated, the results are considered more valuable.

I suspect this is why the animation for iOS is the way it is - it provides people with that sense of movement within the interface.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally gave FakeClockUp a try. :lol: the loading spinning icon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The icon wiggling when you move something is pretty good too.

Use it at a fast speed for a week, then move it back to normal. It's ridiculous how slow it seems.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shadowhand00 posted:

One of the interesting things about UIs is that when something happens too fast, consumers don't appreciate it. For instance, when you load up a list on a webpage, if the page loads up too fast, customers don't believe the results listed are valuable. When there is some lag and "busy" signals associated, the results are considered more valuable.

I suspect this is why the animation for iOS is the way it is - it provides people with that sense of movement within the interface.
Not suggesting you're lying but do you have a link to a study on this? I love this kind of thing and would love to read about some of the research.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Not suggesting you're lying but do you have a link to a study on this? I love this kind of thing and would love to read about some of the research.

I don't have a study unfortunately, but its similar to what's being said here:

http://www.useit.com/papers/responsetime.html

I like to think about it like this:

When I press a button in a game, if it doesn't display to me the button press (because its too fast), I don't feel like I'm manipulating the UI.

When I press a button and it does display the button press, then I feel like I manipulated the environment.

When I press a button and it takes forever to do anything, I get frustrated and throw away my Droid Eris.

Its really more about compromise than anything. With the speedup application, I find that 1.6x is usable, but anything faster makes me frustrated and anything slower is just stupid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there anything like remindmelater (add snooze to calendar alerts) that currently works on ios5?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Nevermind. I'm dumb.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2012

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Not sure if this is an iOS problem or a jailbreaking problem but sometime today, seemingly randomly, the little location services icon appeared in my status bar and hasn't left since. I've rebooted the phone, closed out all running processes, and even done a DFU reset and it's still there. Any idea why it's happening?

Edit: Just realized that the "local weather" section of the weather app is missing. Strange.

coldplay chiptunes fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 9, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shadowhand00 posted:

I don't have a study unfortunately, but its similar to what's being said here:

http://www.useit.com/papers/responsetime.html
Awesome, thanks :) I love Jakob Nielsen's website.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Not sure if this is an iOS problem or a jailbreaking problem but sometime today, seemingly randomly, the little location services icon appeared in my status bar and hasn't left since. I've rebooted the phone, closed out all running processes, and even done a DFU reset and it's still there. Any idea why it's happening?

Edit: Just realized that the "local weather" section of the weather app is missing. Strange.
Did you set a location-based Reminder?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm still working out the bugs of incorporating Lockinfo into iOS5 the way that I like it. As it is now, I'm using the default notifications, but keeping the stocks, calendar, and weather plugins on the lockscreen and shelving all the other notification plugins on the infoshade. This is working well for me. The only downside is that when I receive a new text/fb push/etc the sound is played twice, making me think two notifications were received. Can you guys think of any setting I can adjust to address this? Feels like it should be something simple, but I'm missing it.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Anyone ever experience issues updating App Store apps?

I've had this issue for quite some time now, but have just ignored it. Unfortunately now there's some updates I want, but I can't update any of my apps. The update process begins, but never finishes. It's like iPhone blue balls.

Initiating the app update process via the App Store or via iTunes makes no difference. The only way to get an update is to uninstall an app and re-install it.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I've had this issue for quite some time now, but have just ignored it. Unfortunately now there's some updates I want, but I can't update any of my apps. The update process begins, but never finishes. It's like iPhone blue balls.

Initiating the app update process via the App Store or via iTunes makes no difference. The only way to get an update is to uninstall an app and re-install it.

Infinity blade refuses to update on my iPad no matter how many times I tell it to. Haven't cared enough to worry about it, really.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

furushotakeru posted:

Infinity blade refuses to update on my iPad no matter how many times I tell it to. Haven't cared enough to worry about it, really.

It's a bit of a piss off, because I have to lose my app data to update an app. Now sure, I can backup the data with DataDeposit, but who's to say that the saved data from the current version of the app is going to be 100% compatible with the new version? Sure, maybe it'll work the first time you load the app, but maybe that "bad" data is a ticking time-bomb that ends in misery.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I still have this problem, and the only way I've found to get App Store updates to finish is by respringing into Safe Mode before I initiate the process. Otherwise my phone never finishes installing the updates and resprings itself periodically for no discernible reason.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

This happens to my girlfriend on her 3GS running 4.2.something. Drives me nuts because every time I look at her phone, I see 35 updates available. Of course it drives her more nuts because she can't update Diner Dash.

Sometimes signing in and out of the AppStore works 24% of the time.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Updating via iTunes works for me, but is a pain in the rear end to do every time.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So here's a question. I just picked up a new iPhone 4S, and on my old 3GS I had some sort of tweak or app that made little symbols appear in the upper right hand corner near the battery if I had missed a text or an email.

Even though apparently there's an in depth notification system in iOS 5, I can't seem to figure out how to make this work. I'm assuming I need to download something but I can't remember what it was. I looked through some of the notification style apps on Cydia, but nothing quite like what I had.

I mean it's pretty simple and straightforward, but damned if I can't find it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

CADPAT posted:

So here's a question. I just picked up a new iPhone 4S, and on my old 3GS I had some sort of tweak or app that made little symbols appear in the upper right hand corner near the battery if I had missed a text or an email.

Even though apparently there's an in depth notification system in iOS 5, I can't seem to figure out how to make this work. I'm assuming I need to download something but I can't remember what it was. I looked through some of the notification style apps on Cydia, but nothing quite like what I had.

Lockinfo, probably.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

CADPAT posted:

Bitesms will display a little indicator when you have an unread text, not sure about email.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

CADPAT posted:

OpenNotifier

Last time I had it installed on 5.0.1, it caused crashes to Springboard. YMMV.

Hermi On Me
Dec 30, 2002

That's totally barbaric!

Question Mark Mound posted:

BiteSMS is really winding me up now. A couple of days ago my free trial ran out so now it's running with ads. That's fair enough, but at pretty much the same time it now runs unbearably slow. From my Springboard if I tap on the icon to bring up the app and send a text, it will just show the message history screen for about 10 seconds before I can interact with the keyboard.

This happened to me too, and I didn't know if it was something related to BiteSMS going to ads and if it was intended, or if it was just some weird bug. Either way, it was too frustrating to get texts and have to wait 10 seconds to answer them, so I ended up going back to iMessage for now.

Meant to check back to see if there was a fix for it, since I didn't want to buy it yet, incase the behavior to stays the same. But forgot all about it till you mentioned it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hermi On Me posted:

This happened to me too, and I didn't know if it was something related to BiteSMS going to ads and if it was intended, or if it was just some weird bug. Either way, it was too frustrating to get texts and have to wait 10 seconds to answer them, so I ended up going back to iMessage for now.

Meant to check back to see if there was a fix for it, since I didn't want to buy it yet, incase the behavior to stays the same. But forgot all about it till you mentioned it.
To be honest, all I want is the quick reply. If any of the other quick reply apps worked like BiteSMS I'd uninstall it in a second!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I don't usually like most themes but I've been using glasklart since its fairly minimalist, and with a black and white background image it looks pretty good.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Question Mark Mound posted:

To be honest, all I want is the quick reply.
So what's stopping you from using only the quick reply?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is the "1.0.13" firmware unlockable?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

status posted:

OpenNotifier

Last time I had it installed on 5.0.1, it caused crashes to Springboard. YMMV.

Thanks! That's on par with what I was looking for.

The original app I had was called "Reminder" but I can't find it, so I'm guessing it ceased to exist.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

status posted:

So what's stopping you from using only the quick reply?
One main thing that bugs me is that I can't change the Open button on the quick reply to point to Messages rather than BiteSMS (unless I'm being an idiot and missing something really obvious).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
BiteSMS on iOS4 used to let me open a missed text by tapping the missed text icon at the top of the screen, but this doesn't seem to work in OS5. Is it just me?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

jojoinnit posted:

BiteSMS on iOS4 used to let me open a missed text by tapping the missed text icon at the top of the screen, but this doesn't seem to work in OS5. Is it just me?
It's not just you.

I was actually going to write them an email complaining about all the little changes in the new version that suck and begging them to simply release an iOS5 compatible version of the old BiteSMS.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jojoinnit posted:

You can still do it on the lock screen. Home screen you pull down the notification thinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
edit: nevermind somehow I figured it out.

Damo fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2012

• Locked thread