Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
To anyone who's been having framerate issues with the new MSGO (particularly around water):

On a whim, I tried deleting all of the shaders, then re-downloading XE and extracting those shaders into my Morrowind directory. I then re-ran distant land with reduced settings (10 cells distance) and turned off all the shaders, and I now get a steady 25-30fps pretty much everywhere. I put some additional tips in the OP under the new steps for MSGO.

If you do try this, I suggest you back up the original Shaders folder, as there's no telling how unstable deleting everything there might make things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So, are there any of these graphics mods that won't bring an old laptop with a Win XP, 1.7ghz dual core, 1GB of Ram, and lovely intel 950 shared memory graphics to its knees?

Or should I just not bother? I'm guessing the 'don't bother'. :smith:

I mean something like MSGO is obviously right impossible, but what about better bodies/heads? I can live with the world textures, but man, the original NPCs are uuuuugllly.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 1, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, are there any of these graphics mods that won't bring an old laptop with a Win XP, 1.7ghz dual core, 1GB of Ram, and lovely intel 950 shared memory graphics to its knees?

I mean something like MSGO is obviously right impossible, but what about better bodies/heads? I can live with the world textures, but man, the original NPCs are uuuuugllly.

If you can run the game, there's no reason you'd have trouble with the better bodies / better heads mods.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, so I downloaded the Morrowind Code Patch, Wrye Mash (Standalone), and Oggumogoggums' pack, however, after installing MCP/Mash and putting the Oggumogoggums stuff in the correct places according to the readme and then pointing Mash to them nothing shows up in the installers tab. What did I do wrong? :ohdear: Couldn't find anything of use in the Wrye Mash readme.

[edit] Nevermind, figured it out, Wrye Mash has to be installed in the Morrowind install directory. Of course the stand-alone installer doesn't mention this and tries to install to some random file path that has nothing to do with morrowind. :downs:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 2, 2012

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The only things which wouldn't work for you are MGE, MGE-XE and MSGO (because it includes them). In your case, I would recommend using Morrowind FPS Optimizer, which should still be floating around on the internet somewhere. Any mods would be fine and Ogg's megapack in the OP should give you everything you need (and more).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I got the game going and it seems to be doing ok. FPS isn't too hot, about 10-20 in most areas, both outdoors and indoors, but thats liveable.

However, I'm getting weird clipping issues on people's bodies. Their scalps and flicking and clipping through hair and arms and feet through clothes and shoes occasionally. Kinda weird, I thought better clothes was supposed to prevent that with better bodies?

Then again, better clothes might not be working, the game complains at me when it starts up and tells me to look at warnings.txt which says this:

code:
One of the files that "Passive_Healthy_Wildlife.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One of the files that "time2x.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "vgreetings-hit.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "vgreetings-thief.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "betterclothespatch.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. 
Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.
Texture "Textures\Tx_BC_rock_03.tga" count 3.
Texture "Textures\_land_default.tga" count 3.
Texture "Textures\menu_thick_border_bottom_right_corner.dds" count 2.
Is this a problem with load order? I used the one recommended in Ogg's readme (at least, for the components I used), that is, I adjusted all their modified dates to be sequential in the proper load order (thats how you're supposed to do it, right? :ohdear:).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 2, 2012

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I'm new to modding, but crave more Elder Scrolls after finishing Skyrim. I have both Morrowind and Oblivion installed. Graphically, is MGSO 2.0 better than Morrowblivion? I like the idea of playing Morrowind in the Oblivion engine but have not tried it yet. Anyone tried it?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

adamarama posted:

I'm new to modding, but crave more Elder Scrolls after finishing Skyrim. I have both Morrowind and Oblivion installed. Graphically, is MGSO 2.0 better than Morrowblivion? I like the idea of playing Morrowind in the Oblivion engine but have not tried it yet. Anyone tried it?

In my opinion I find the likes of MGSO makes Morrowind look better than Morrowblivion, but Morrowblivion is by no means terrible and if you positively cannot stand the mechanics of Morrowind, Morrowblivion would be a good route to take.

Dystonym
May 20, 2011
Edit: If I'd read up about 4 posts I would have found the solution. Thank you to Galaga.

Dystonym fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 7, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dystonym posted:

Edit: If I'd read up about 4 posts I would have found the solution. Thank you to Galaga.

The Wrye Mash thing? You're welcome, nice to see I wasn't the only one. :downs::respek::downs:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Dystonym posted:

And now, thanks to both of you, the OP is now updated with a helpful line for installing Mash.

Important Notice Regarding MGE-XE
Since XE's release, Hrmchand has been silently updating it with various bugfixes. The current version is 0.9.6, so if you haven't downloaded XE in a while, you might want to update it. In fact, you should probably update it anyway. The link is still the same.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Does anyone know if the LGNPC mod was ever ported to Morroblivion, or if it's compatible?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
So, I was looking around on Google for some Morrowind stuff just now when I somehow managed to find this thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Eat a bag of hell!

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

adamarama posted:

I'm sure you've decided one way or the other by now, but in case anyone else is wondering, many of armour meshes in Morroblivion are absolutely hideous to the point where it ruined everything else for me (the environments are fine, quests seem to be implemented properly)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vulturesrow posted:

I am about to lose my poo poo. I cant seem to get the parts downloaded without 7zip taking a poo poo all over itself when I try to extract them

7zip handles multipart archives very poorly unless you specifically extract the FIRST part. Like if you have .rar, .r00, .r01, .r02, etc, it'll tell you to suck it unless you right-click and extract the .rar file.

It's never failed for me on a multipart once I figured that out. First file or bust.

WinRAR, to its credit, doesn't care. It'll do it no matter which part you pick.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How is Tamriel Rebuilt? I heard the title music for it and just found out it was a mod after a quick search. It looks kind of neat, but it sounds like it could be pretty awful. 200 modders is a lot of chance for terrible content to slip through

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Lord Solitare posted:

How is Tamriel Rebuilt? I heard the title music for it and just found out it was a mod after a quick search. It looks kind of neat, but it sounds like it could be pretty awful. 200 modders is a lot of chance for terrible content to slip through

Tamriel Rebuilt is really super awesome and high quality work.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Upmarket Mango posted:

Tamriel Rebuilt is really super awesome and high quality work.

Is this sarcasm or not? :v: Just asking because some of their concept art was done in crayon and it's hard to tell with goons sometimes

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
While I haven't used Tamriel Rebuilt myself, I've only heard good things about it. IIRC, this was one of those projects that took absolutely forever to finally be released after it was announced, although time spent in development doesn't always correlate with quality.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
It looks like they haven't even released the full thing yet. There's only two sections done out of the eight they have planned. Looks like they bit off more than they could chew, but I'll still give it a shot

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lord Solitare posted:

It looks like they haven't even released the full thing yet. There's only two sections done out of the eight they have planned. Looks like they bit off more than they could chew, but I'll still give it a shot

3 sections, actually. Check the latest forum thread on the Bethsoft forums.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Lord Solitare posted:

Is this sarcasm or not? :v: Just asking because some of their concept art was done in crayon and it's hard to tell with goons sometimes

I was being completely serious. It's a quality piece of work.

DESTROY ALL GOATS
Aug 13, 2009
I installed the Morrowind Overhaul mod on my steam installation of Morrowind, but now the game crashes everytime the sun sets. Anyone else experience something similar?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

DESTROY ALL GOATS posted:

I installed the Morrowind Overhaul mod on my steam installation of Morrowind, but now the game crashes everytime the sun sets. Anyone else experience something similar?

I just tried it for the first time, it runs smooth and beautifully, but it crashes every time I try to exit the ship for Seyda Neen the first time. I got past that once, and saved in the trader's post. Now whenever I try to leave the post for Seyda Neen it crashes. The work looks so drat beautiful, but I guess I'll have to try vanilla.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

DESTROY ALL GOATS posted:

When, specifically, does the crash happen? Does the night sky texture show up properly, or does it crash after the sun goes below the horizon? Have you tried waiting for a couple hours indoors during sunset, going outside at night, and seeing if the game works? My guess is it's either a corrupted texture or .ini file setting.

What Fun posted:

I just tried it for the first time, it runs smooth and beautifully, but it crashes every time I try to exit the ship for Seyda Neen the first time. I got past that once, and saved in the trader's post. Now whenever I try to leave the post for Seyda Neen it crashes. The work looks so drat beautiful, but I guess I'll have to try vanilla.

Do you have distant land on? Can you go outside when it's turned off? Have you tried disabling shaders?

Also, this is a friendly reminder to download MGE-XE again, as Hrmchand just updated it (twice). He's also indicated that he's going to get back to work on the Morrowind Code Patch once he's done with it (if that ever happens).

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Definitely done with Skyrim for a little bit (I'll pick it back up again when the best of the initial mods rise to the top). Almost time for another Morrowind run . . . I keep coming back to this goddamn game.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
Starting a new run but had to restart as I had forgotten the weird leveling system.

Any point in Spears? Is the reach advantage worth while?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

isoprenaline posted:

Starting a new run but had to restart as I had forgotten the weird leveling system.

Any point in Spears? Is the reach advantage worth while?

Depends. I always keep one out of habit and once you've started on Tribunal you get a really nice spear with 30pts shield and (I think) +15 to spear as a constant effect.

There's also a rather nice one in a Nchurdamz, however I remember having to go through a fuckload of centurions to get to it.

That being said, if I have another weapon skill and block, I generally tend to level that skill up first and then switch over to spear at about 80 in the other skill. Having a shield makes a large difference in your survivability.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there a working mirror for the last version of Morrowind Overhaul? I can't seem to find any after the whole Megaupload debacle :ohdear:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Elman posted:

Is there a working mirror for the last version of Morrowind Overhaul? I can't seem to find any after the whole Megaupload debacle :ohdear:

Unfortunately Kingpix is dealing with some personal business right now and doesn't have any new mirrors up yet. There is the one on this forum, but you need to register first and it's in Italian.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm probably going to make an rear end out of myself by asking this, but... Well, I'm trying to play Morrowind for the first time and I think I've followed the OP rather thoroughly. Everything works, but my grass looks like this:

Help?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Banana Yaya posted:

I'm probably going to make an rear end out of myself by asking this, but... Well, I'm trying to play Morrowind for the first time and I think I've followed the OP rather thoroughly. Everything works, but my grass looks like this:

Help?

Shot in the dark, but when you use MGE to generate land, you enable the grass / groundcover .esp so that MGE knows to use it. But when you play the game, you need to make sure these very same .esps aren't enabled.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Shot in the dark, but when you use MGE to generate land, you enable the grass / groundcover .esp so that MGE knows to use it. But when you play the game, you need to make sure these very same .esps aren't enabled.

Hm, I've decided to just kill off the grass. I can live without the grass. However, I can't live with the trees looking like this:

This is literally the only thing keeping me from enjoying the game now.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Banana Yaya posted:

The problems you posted are probably related. Can you post your sysytem specs? This might be related to your video card or its settings. Also, what trees are you using?

Note for the thread: I won't have access to Morrowind for the forseeable future until at least next wednesday and can't easily post links. If anything important happens (like Kingpix coming back and creating an MSGO mirror), please post it. I'll update the OP when I get the chance.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 17, 2012

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Musical_Daredevil posted:

The problems you posted are probably related. Can you post your sysytem specs? This might be related to your video card or its settings. Also, what trees are you using?

Note for the thread: I won't have access to Morrowind for the forseeable future until at least next wednesday and can't easily post links. If anything important happens (like Kingpix coming back and creating an MSGO mirror), please post it. I'll update the OP when I get the chance.

C2D E8500
GTX 460 (1 GB)
4 GB RAM
Win 7 Pro

Not the best system, but overhaul 2.0 runs rather smoothly. Apart from the trees, that is :( I just have whatever tree mods that came with the overhaul: Vurt's Grazelands Trees, Vurt's Ashlands Overhaul, Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II. I've tried enabling and disabling those to no avail. In MGSO Options I've tried going with "simple trees", but that didn't help. Note: when I actually approach the trees, the weird blocks disappear and they look like they're supposed to.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 18, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Banana Yaya posted:

C2D E8500
GTX 460 (1 GB)
4 GB RAM
Win 7 Pro

Not the best system, but overhaul 2.0 runs rather smoothly. Apart from the trees, that is :( I just have whatever tree mods that came with the overhaul: Vurt's Grazelands Trees, Vurt's Ashlands Overhaul, Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II. I've tried enabling and disabling those to no avail. In MGSO Options I've tried going with "simple trees", but that didn't help. Note: when I actually approach the trees, the weird blocks disappear and they look like they're supposed to.

I'm not sure how MGSO handles this, but when (if) you were generating distant land, did you have an option of setting Distant Mesh detail? It looks like the detail for distant tree meshes is being rendered at like 10%.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Sorry, forgot to post an update, it seems that the only thing standing between me and success was that I really did have to disable UAC in Windows. Not for the installation, not to start the game, but to reliably access outdoor areas. It makes no sense to me, but my fault for ignoring the OP.

The totally separate issue I'm having is that my character feels really slow, and I have trouble finding specific caves for quests. But it really does look great, thanks again for the OP.

Enthusiasm
Jul 11, 2010

NEVER go back for any reason.

What Fun posted:

The totally separate issue I'm having is that my character feels really slow, and I have trouble finding specific caves for quests. But it really does look great, thanks again for the OP.

I moved through Morrowind by almost exclusively holding strafe and forward to run at an angle because of how pressing two directions at once moves you faster due to how "acceleration" is handled (at least it feels this way) and slamming on jump as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

What Fun posted:

Sorry, forgot to post an update, it seems that the only thing standing between me and success was that I really did have to disable UAC in Windows. Not for the installation, not to start the game, but to reliably access outdoor areas. It makes no sense to me, but my fault for ignoring the OP.

There is a fantastic morrowind online map that is a god send if you are having trouble finding a specific cave.