Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Q_res posted:

Yep, it's you, you're the exact person Coredump was talking about.

For what it's worth, I've never had an ATI card die because of a driver update...

Not really? I was calling out AMD fanboys for their CPUs in a post earlier about a guy I met who was balls out excited for Bulldozer because of all the cores :supaburn:. I don't have an opinion either way about AMD GPU users except that they were undeniably the smarter ones when the R300 launched. (I did buy a X700 for my P4 box I think)

For drivers, AMD/ATI drivers wasted a lot of my time back in the day (subjective and me being bitter I admit), the Linux support is terrible (I don't care that nvidia delivers binary blobs, because they work). Didn't AMD not have drivers ready at launch for BF3, Rage, etc? I would have been pretty angry if I couldn't fly jets into the ground on launch day.

I guess I missed all the lovely nvidia card + driver combos, I went from a 6800GT->7900GT->8800GTS->GTX 460 only really upgrading because eVGA RMA'd me a newer card. So, I don't know anything about drivers murdering cards or whatnot. :shobon:

And lastly I need CUDA, which is probably only the second objective point in this post aside from AMD drivers sucking on Linux and having "issues" at launch of AAA titles.

e: I'm usually a midrange card buyer too, so $500 is a bit much for me anyways. Also top-of-page, yell at me more for being mean to AMD :downs:

movax fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm really looking forward to not having to look at texture shimmering anymore when I finally upgrade to a 7000-series card. I just wish they weren't releasing the 7800-series last, by the time they're out I'll be sufficiently employed to just buy a 7970.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

I'm really looking forward to not having to look at texture shimmering anymore when I finally upgrade to a 7000-series card. I just wish they weren't releasing the 7800-series last, by the time they're out I'll be sufficiently employed to just buy a 7970.

Article posted:

For Southern Islands AMD has changed the kernel weights of their anisotropic filtering mechanism in order to further reduce shimmering of high frequency textures. The algorithm itself remains unchanged and as does performance, but image quality is otherwise improved. Admittedly these AF changes seem to be targeting increasingly esoteric scenarios – we haven’t seen any real game where the shimmering matches the tunnel test – but we’ll gladly take any IQ improvements we can get.

So is this the driver setting specific registers in the GPU or some kind of hard-coded values? Seems like the former would make more sense and mean it can change independent of silicon.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

frumpsnake posted:

Or if you wanted to run Rage, BF3, or Batman last year at launch.

BF3 was a far bigger debacle for nvidia (talk to any sap with a 560ti) and batman still doesn't work for poo poo on anyone's hardware because apparently the developers are worthless.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

BF3 was a far bigger debacle for nvidia (talk to any sap with a 560ti) and batman still doesn't work for poo poo on anyone's hardware because apparently the developers are worthless.
Rocksteady is hardly worthless, but yes whoever did their DX11 implementation is retarded.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It is pretty horrible, but you can fiddle with it to get it playable. Well, on at least a 570, don't know about anything less than that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

It ran awesome on my 460, old hardware supremacy I guess :iiam: I do remember people in #pcgaming complaining with 560 Tis and black-screens though. I wonder how these things escape QA sometimes (they got rushed through/QA was non-existent :ssh:)

I did buy Arkham City, but haven't finished Asylum yet, so good to know I have problems awaiting, wooooo :pcgaming:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Don't run it in DX11 mode and you'll have nothing to worry about

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
DX11 mode is a hambeast but it scales well. It's completely playable and almost entirely buttery smooth on CF 6850s, even where "as much GPU" in a single card apparently still drops to single digits.

The biggest performance driver there is tessellation. I don't use much of it.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

movax posted:

It ran awesome on my 460, old hardware supremacy I guess :iiam: I do remember people in #pcgaming complaining with 560 Tis and black-screens though. I wonder how these things escape QA sometimes (they got rushed through/QA was non-existent :ssh:)

I did buy Arkham City, but haven't finished Asylum yet, so good to know I have problems awaiting, wooooo :pcgaming:

I don't think the problem with GTX560Ti blackscreening were the drivers, problem was that some vendors like Gigabyte overclocked the cards without increasing the voltage so when the cards were really running at 100% they black screened. I had the problem and updating firmware on the card that increased the default voltage fixed it, no black screens since.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

tijag posted:

The midrange is very much stagnated.

I got my 5850 for $260 over 2 years ago. The part to upgrade to right now would be the 6950 for about the same $$, and although it does have more performance, it's not appreciably enough so for me to drop ANOTHER $260.

At least not right now.

Because of AMD moving the 79xx up in price to 550/450, this means the 78xx will be slightly faster than the 69xx, while costing as much, or slightly more. Leaving me nothing to upgrade to at $260 that feels compelling.

I'm hoping that the GK104 is as competetive with Tahiti as has been rumored, forcing AMD to lower prices to $415/$330 for the 79xx, making the 78xx probably $300/$240 or so. Maybe finally I'll be able to afford an upgrade.

It's time to build a new computer this year to replace my E8400 box. So IVB + the best price/perfromance video card + 240/256GB SSD is what I want for this spring.

Some are excited about 7970/7950 but the rest of us midrange users are indifferent to both, because we judging from the price/performance we know anything from AMD below $300 is not going to be a worthy upgrade from the old 5870/5850/GTX 460 we bought a looooong time ago or the $150 6870s we have now.

That said, now I'm pretty :smug: about that $120 GTX 460 1GB I snagged last year...

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

movax posted:

Didn't AMD not have drivers ready at launch for BF3, Rage, etc? I would have been pretty angry if I couldn't fly jets into the ground on launch day.

Seriously? No, you could play BF3 just fine at release with an AMD card. When somebody says AMD "didn't have drivers ready", they don't mean people with Radeon cards were sitting around waiting for AMD to push out drivers that would allow them to play the game. They're saying that a set of drivers specifically made to improve performance in BF3 hadn't been released yet.

*edit* Sorry about dogpiling and all but that was a pretty big piece of misinformation

BEAR GRYLLZ fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 10, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
AMD's coming out all-guns-blazing with a 7990 for Q1 2012:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/radeon-hd-7990-coming-in-q1-sports-6gb-of-gddr5/14341.html :toot:

Also, GPUReview just added leaked 6XX specs to their site's card comparisons. It's alot of best-guesses, but they've been correct repeatedly in the past with these kinds of things (given the pushed-back release this is clearly all speculation). Yields could certainly affect it, but the pixel fillrate/memory bandwidth of the "680" looks fairly impressive:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=663&card2=667

If the "690" is anywhere close to this at release though it'll certainly win back the performance crown while costing a small fortune: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=663&card2=668
e: Max Power Draw: 700 W

future ghost fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 10, 2012

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What happened to all that stuff from a while back where nvidia was disabling part of the Fermi core in order to meet the PCI-E power draw spec? 700W :lol:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

MeramJert posted:

What happened to all that stuff from a while back where nvidia was disabling part of the Fermi core in order to meet the PCI-E power draw spec? 700W :lol:
The 700W figure is just an estimate (but holy gently caress) as he details on the front page. Even 350W for the "680" is on the high-end though.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

LooKMaN posted:

I don't think the problem with GTX560Ti blackscreening were the drivers, problem was that some vendors like Gigabyte overclocked the cards without increasing the voltage so when the cards were really running at 100% they black screened. I had the problem and updating firmware on the card that increased the default voltage fixed it, no black screens since.

I'm not even talking about blackscreening, there was horrific triangular artifacting happening primarily on 560tis, even at stock clocks for months after the release of BF3.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MeramJert posted:

Do you actually believe that number? A GTX590 draws around 550W so something around that number sounds much more realistic.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Seriously? No, you could play BF3 just fine at release with an AMD card. When somebody says AMD "didn't have drivers ready", they don't mean people with Radeon cards were sitting around waiting for AMD to push out drivers that would allow them to play the game. They're saying that a set of drivers specifically made to improve performance in BF3 hadn't been released yet.

*edit* Sorry about dogpiling and all but that was a pretty big piece of misinformation

Nah, it's cool, thanks for setting me straight.

e: ^^ I had horrible triangles on my 460 as well, dropping textures to High fixed it :iiam:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LiftAuff posted:

Do you actually believe that number? A GTX590 draws around 550W so something around that number sounds much more realistic.

No, I knew it was just an estimate but still, the fact that people can estimate it being potentially that high is ridiculous. 550W is crazy too

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

MeramJert posted:

No, I knew it was just an estimate but still, the fact that people can estimate it being potentially that high is ridiculous. 550W is crazy too

Actually that estimate sounds like it got pulled out of his rear end. He took the total system power draw guesstimate for a GTX680 and just doubled it which is just dumb.

AMD Radeon 6990 (~490W) vs Nvidia GTX590 (~550)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

7700 started showing up for preorder
http://www.excaliberpc.com/612645/asus-radeon-hd-7770-1gb.html

7770 specs displayed in GPU-Z
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Radeon-HD-7770-Specs-Confirmed-by-GPU-Z-Screenshot-252488.shtml

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 14, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

movax posted:

For drivers, AMD/ATI drivers wasted a lot of my time back in the day (subjective and me being bitter I admit), the Linux support is terrible (I don't care that nvidia delivers binary blobs, because they work).

I guess I missed all the lovely nvidia card + driver combos, I went from a 6800GT->7900GT->8800GTS->GTX 460 only really upgrading because eVGA RMA'd me a newer card. So, I don't know anything about drivers murdering cards or whatnot. :shobon:

I think we're internet twins in regards to our nvidia cards. Blobs have always worked perfect for me and I bought nearly identical cards and missed the nvidia murder tales.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
The Tech Report just released their review of the new 7770. Basically, it would be a good card if it were priced lower than the 6850.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
At $125 it'd still be a dubious proposition for anybody not running a 1440x900 or below res because the 6850 is the minimum where you start getting pretty decent framerates across the board regardless of resolution and can be overclocked to hit near/at/above 6870 speeds, and a good 6850 can be found for $135 AR. I can't think of a current price right now where this thing could be recommended other than a $110 replacement for the few people that should be picking up a 5770. $160 is absolutely laughable.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

The Tech Report just released their review of the new 7770. Basically, it would be a good card if it were priced lower than the 6850.

This is new card with a price/benefit ratio resembling of Bulldozer proportions.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
On the other hand, the Radeon HD 7570 1GB does seem like a pretty good option, given that it's only slightly more expensive than the Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 and will thoroughly kick its rear end with lower power consumption. It's a decent upgrade option for OEM systems with weak power supplies too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alereon posted:

On the other hand, the Radeon HD 7570 1GB does seem like a pretty good option, given that it's only slightly more expensive than the Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 and will thoroughly kick its rear end with lower power consumption. It's a decent upgrade option for OEM systems with weak power supplies too.

True, but then again the market for "I want to play modern games but don't want to buy a PSU bigger than 300" is pretty small, I'd imagine.

Nice that something good came out of those cards, but it's not much of a victory.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Pretty weak performance for such a massive shrink, and not entirely great value. 5770 is on Newegg with a rebate bringing it to $99 right now.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Are they high with that pricing? I don't wanna get all conspiracy theorist, but I'd hate to think they were planning on phasing out barts so they could sell these unopposed. They have to be aware of how poorly these are positioned in the market space.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The GPU market is all about price discrimination. Eventually, these will be good buys. At launch, they don't really differentiate from current offerings on performance, so they'll suck money out of people who buy computers and parts with :effort: and enthusiasm for big numbers.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I can't remember the last time something launched at a price this unattractive relative to its direct competition and eventually became a good buy. The 550ti launched at a bad point, but it's still a bad buy. As did the 450. I guess when the 5770 launched it was SORT of a bad buy since it basically dropped straight into the 4870 price slot with a (at the time) 5% performance deficit, but that's nowhere near this magnitude.

Come to think of it, I legitimately can't think of the last time when a card launched with a price tag this inappropriate, period, nevermind whether it ever went on to become good value or not.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

You mean just between ATI and nVidia, right, because overpriced, horseshit performance cards were a staple of the rat race that got us to the big-two situation.

And that is kind of analogous to this, or at least there are some contributing factors that are similar - other companies REALLY NEEDED MONEY because their products in general weren't doing so well and they ended up screwed once the necessary cost to the customer for the company to stay in business outran the value of the product to the customer.

ATI is part of AMD, AMD needs money like nobody's business, they just hosed the dog in public in the x86 market but when it comes to graphics they're running unopposed by anyone but themselves for the time being and I don't blame them for milking it while they can.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Well yeah, I guess I should clarify that my memory and understanding of graphics cards only extends back about 4 years. I'm sure there's lots of stuff from before that that could put the 7770 to shame in terms of sheer, unadulterated bad value.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
How stupid would I be to go out and purchase a 6850? The pricing for the AMD stuff lately is extremely confusing. I really only care about being able to play BF3 at 1920x1080 round about 60 FPS or so.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Goon Matchmaker posted:

How stupid would I be to go out and purchase a 6850? The pricing for the AMD stuff lately is extremely confusing. I really only care about being able to play BF3 at 1920x1080 round about 60 FPS or so.

BF3 is one of the most graphically demanding games on the market today. Two 6850s could do it if you don't do dopey stuff like use the MSAA (because it's a total hog in that game, it's unconventional for MSAA and acts more like FSAA - use the FXAA option if you turn settings up). FXAA looks just about as good and has a fraction of the performance hit.

1080p is not low resolution. It's not SUPER high resolution, but that's where you start needing to bring some real power to bear in order to get good framerates with pretty stuff turned on. A single 6850 is a pretty good value choice if you don't mind turning down graphical settings to get more FPS. Two of them is one of the better price:performance choices at the moment, offering performance similar to a GTX 580 (minus PhysX, of course) for a lot less money because of excellent crossfire scaling. You won't be playing Metro at its highest settings at a constant 60 but neither will most people.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Agreed posted:

Two of them is one of the better price:performance choices at the moment, offering performance similar to a GTX 580

On that note, if I were dropping $300 on graphics cards all at once, and doing so today, an overclockable GeForce 560 Ti-448 would be my preference. No CrossFire headaches, similar performance, slightly lower power consumption plus you get PhysX for your troubles.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Alereon posted:

In addition it's looking like the switch to GCN is a smart one over VLIW-5.

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2012/amd_radeon_hd_7700_test/index4.php

With 7770 at 5770 clocks, it has a 25% less theoretical GFLOP's than the 5770 does. Even with that, it generally outperforms or is the same performance than the 5770.

GCN looks really good, but the pricing for these products is off. Eventually I suspect the 68xx's will all be sold out and this card can settle down in price. Probably 115-120 for the 7770.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

On that note, if I were dropping $300 on graphics cards all at once, and doing so today, an overclockable GeForce 560 Ti-448 would be my preference. No CrossFire headaches, similar performance, slightly lower power consumption plus you get PhysX for your troubles.

And for those who don't know, FF is using two 6850s in crossfire now - the 448 is a good competitive product on the nVidia side, and as it turns out a surprisingly good overclocker, too, if you buy from a non-poo poo brand. Never -count- on great overclocking, but people have reported good results from Zotac, EVGA, MSI, and Asus using the 560Ti 448. But spending $300 on graphics cards at this exact moment is something to do only if you really have to, since the next gen is dropping now and we haven't seen the price:performance champs of it (and likely won't until nVidia gets in the game with their 28nm process based cards). $300 is a lot of money for a stopgap, but if you need a card right now, there's always the best-value choices of the moment regardless. Just avoid the 7700s from ATI and don't buy a GTX 580 if you're going all-in, the 7970 eats its lunch for about the same price.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

If you are okay with medium settings it should be do able. I can double check, I normally am find with 45FPS though, so I tune my settings around that not 60 and I'm fine with a 6850 in BF3. I think I have a mix of mid and high and maybe 1 ultra or something that's low intensity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The difference between 1920 Battlefield 3 at 30 versus 60 frames is, unfortunately, a lot of money.

• Locked thread