Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really wish they hadn't glossed over the poor safety records of Chinese cars. Obviously they were taking the piss with their "tests", but a lot of Chinese cars perform very poorly in crash tests. In Australia some models are even being recalled because their safety is so poor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fpmvWBZw8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

bolind posted:

I recently bought a tarp for the equivalent of one (1) US Dollar. That includes 25% VAT, profit, pay for the dude selling it to me, and it was made, sown, packaged, stuffed into a container, shipped from China to Europe and trucked the rest of the way. That's not really sustainable.

I really agree with this, I think the solutions to a lot of the resource problems in the future will come from the past. Ie making something that's robust and have people trained to fix them when they go wrong.

Chinese cars have made their way to Aus, Great Wall produce a series of utes and 4wd's for about 30% less than equivalent Toyota. I haven't read a review of them yet where the journalist hasn't gone into it without a "this will be crap" frame of mind though.

Speaking of cars you might actually buy, think there's any chance the BRZ/FT86/FR-S will make it onto the show, this might be the first new car I ever buy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ecstatic posted:

Chinese cars have made their way to Aus, Great Wall produce a series of utes and 4wd's for about 30% less than equivalent Toyota. I haven't read a review of them yet where the journalist hasn't gone into it without a "this will be crap" frame of mind though.

The first lot of Great Walls were... umm.... bad. However they have improved so fast it's mind blowing and they now get 4 stars on NCAP. Also the quality has likewise improved out of sight.

The handling and ride is pretty much 5-10 years behind but again, improving rapidly. The other thing of note is that the Chinese seem to be able to make tooling changes much quicker and hence you can have noticeable differences in the car over a year as corrections and changes are made.

The reality is that the Chinese are doing the exact same thing the Koreans and before them the Japanese did - built copies, learned from mistakes, began design for themselves and then leave the ones they copied behind. The Chinese in this case are doing it faster and to me I have no doubt they will produce a genuinely good car within this decade of their own design.

http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=356 NCAP for Great Wall X240. I believe no car anymore can gain 5 stars without ESC (Which to me is bullshit but eh not the one working this stuff out)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 7, 2012

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Clarkson really had a good point. In 5 years they went from building bike/trike/motorcycle car things to building solid, if not "meh" cars. In another 5 years, they're probably going to be churning out some really good stuff.

A few years ago I would have never considered seriously looking at a Hyundai or Kia. Now the Velocter Turbo and the Optima Turbo are on my radar as cars that I'd really like to own. I'm willing to bet that once the Chinese start building cars at that same level of quality and are priced competitively they're going to do really well.

We'll probably see giant import tariffs on Chinese cars in the USA, if only to allow GM/Ford/Chrysler to compete against them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

The first lot of Great Walls were... umm.... bad. However they have improved so fast it's mind blowing and they now get 4 stars on NCAP. Also the quality has likewise improved out of sight.

The handling and ride is pretty much 5-10 years behind but again, improving rapidly. The other thing of note is that the Chinese seem to be able to make tooling changes much quicker and hence you can have noticeable differences in the car over a year as corrections and changes are made.

So you're saying that at the current rate of improvement and growth that in five more years we'll all be driving Chi-UMF ACK HELP IM BEING ATTACKED.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

djdanno13 posted:

I got a laugh when they introduced Hammond as the pace car driver to... a couple claps. I keep forgetting that outside of our little community on the internet and their 6 min segment on 60 minutes almost two years ago they are virtually unknown over here.

This is a moment that at least to me comes off as scripted. If there is one place in the US that knows everyone in Top Gear, it's a NASCAR event.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

sbaldrick posted:

This is a moment that at least to me comes off as scripted. If there is one place in the US that knows everyone in Top Gear, it's a NASCAR event.

Maybe they were disappointed they didn't get Jeremy; I assume "yobbo" aligns pretty well with the stereotype of NASCAR fans.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I just moved from California to middle America, and you are so wrong. I asked a co-worker who was a NASCAR fan and he wondered if it was a copy of the history channel show.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The people that were there and knew what Top Gear was probably assumed Top Gear covering NASCAR would not be a very positive endorsement of their BELOVED SPORT.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I bet Hammond would have got a cheer if they'd introduced him as Richard J Cheeseburger.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Luke Skywalker Kick.gif

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

sbaldrick posted:

Looked like the pre race drivers meeting, full of all the drivers and bigshots, so i have a hard time believing TG UK would be able to organise a scripted event in that case. If anything maybe they organised to have Hammond introduced right after some army general dude or whoever he was.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

You overestimate the average NASCAR fan/employee, and I say this as a NASCAR fan. SAS NASCAR is hip to TGUK, but we're an anomaly.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

uPen posted:

The Montage
Which reminds me of how jarring it is when they change the music for BBC America/Netflix/iPlayer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

I work at a bike shop where we see a lot of Chinese motor scooters in for service, and the thought of cars made in that mold terrifies and despairs me. They are universally horrible and I pity their owners.

Another guy at the shop spent some time in central/south america, and tells the story that he saw in action down there a segment of the Chinese motor industry. He would say that if you've got X number of dollars, something in the few tens of thousands, you can hook yourself up with an east Asian supplier and just tell them "I want a shipping container full of Harleys" and they'll just send you one. Who knows how they make it, but it'll be a copy of a Sportster or whatever. Right off the bat when you open up your shipping container of Harleys, 30% of them won't work, 30% of them will never work, and you can sell the rest locally and still make a profit.

Look at it another way. If there weren't people willing to buy that stuff, their wouldn't be people making it.

If I were an aspiring businessman and my research tells me that there is a market for cheap terrible junk (:ssh: take my word for it, there is), where would I make it? Switzerland? Most cheap junk is made in China because everything is made in China, not because the Chinese only know how to make junk, If you are willing to pay a little more for a little better quality, you get iPhones. Otherwise you get exactly what you pay for.

The 2 cars they tested, the Roewe 350 and the GAC Trumpchi, both get full marks on the Chinese NCAP which is not surprising since they are based on foreign engineered platforms. The Roewe was primarily developed in Britain by the old MG Rover folks who now work for SAIC and the Trumpchi like Clarkson said is a re-skinned Alfa Romeo 166. I'm almost certain both are much safer than junk like the Nissan Versa(bestselling subcompact car in America).

I don't even know what Clarkson's problem is with the 1.5l 105hp engine, that's the same as the engine in a Yaris or a Fit and they come with 4 speed autos, not 3 speed AFAIK. I've ridden in one and they're...just ho-hum economy cars. But then again, they aren't really that cheap either, Maybe 10% or so cheaper than an equivilant Chinese assembled Honda Civic or Chevy Cruze after rebates. Again, if you want cheaper, you can find it, but it will be worse.

I highly doubt that any Chinese branded cars are going to be coming to North America, though. Considering how terrible they've been at even gaining a foothold in China. Toyota and Honda didn't start their inroads into the US market when Japan was dominated by VW and GM like China is today. There will probably fewer car makers in the US market as GM/Ford/Chrysler are turning around with a vengence on the back of government assistance and a depreciating dollar. Suzuki and Mitsubishi probably won't survive much longer and FIAT is floundering, and any of them are easily 100x better run than any Chinese company.

At best some of the foreign JV companies will start producing in China for the North American market. Honda is already importing the Fit from China to Canada. In that case it's largely because of their terrible luck at having both Japanese and Thai facilities suddenly end up under water at the same time but it shows that they're pretty confident with the quality.

Also parts.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
SIARPC next week is Ryan Reynolds.
Suddenly it's all A-list celebs

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

So much for American cars.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Hermansen posted:

SIARPC next week is Ryan Reynolds.
Suddenly it's all A-list celebs

I think it's pathetic that in order for TGUK to get A-listers they have to shamelessly plug their lovely Hollywood remakes. It makes me sad that even people who are gearheads can't even go on that show without thinking how they can make a quick buck.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I thought the Chinese section was really well done. But I bet the Prime Minister of China said he'd have to look at their footage before letting them out of the country.

It's probably why stuff like these Chinese crash test wasn't shown.

40mph truck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D827IxEJVS4

It's a common myth that chinese people are small. In truth, those bigger than a matchbox are culled off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpDM8wVrUQ&t=22s

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

sigtrap posted:

I was referring to making a Top Gear USA that is more similar to the UK original. One difference right up front is the fact that the networks in the states are ad-revenue supported, so from what I understand a lot of your flexibility for saying "The new Chevrolet _____ is a complete pile of poo poo" goes out the window. Even though it's LEGAL to say that (within reason) GM still has their lawyers on the phone in nothing flat, threatening to pull all their advertising (and that of their corporate holdings). So, if you don't have complete freedom to 'tell it like it is' then you're stuck having to be positive about almost everything.

Can't they just put it on HBO or Showtime or something?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Ak Gara posted:

40mph truck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D827IxEJVS4

I'm 90% sure that's a real VW T3(?) and the reason it's disintegrating is because they loaded the bed up with three times the allowed load in lead shot or something...

Edit: rumour has it, that it was crashed at 100kph and was loaded up with a ton of stuff, in order to test/showcase a new ADAC crash test facility. There's a suspicious lack of crash test dummies and other paraphernalia, too...

bolind fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 8, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Was watching the killer 959 vs F40 segment on youtube the other day, and suddenly it's really obvious how often they blur out the windows to hide the fact that it's not Hammond driving.

Can only imagine that the owners wanted to be driving their own cars around the camera cars rather than risk one of the TG crashing into them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So wait how can I see Katy Perrys big tits bouncing singing a song with Elmo?

BookaT
May 29, 2003

echoplex posted:

Can only imagine that the owners wanted to be driving their own cars around the camera cars rather than risk one of the TG crashing into them.

Alot of the shots you see here are done after Hammond or whoever does the talking bits. They go back out and film more footage with other drivers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

echoplex posted:

Was watching the killer 959 vs F40 segment on youtube the other day, and suddenly it's really obvious how often they blur out the windows to hide the fact that it's not Hammond driving.

There was a shot in this week's Merc segment where 'Jeremy' had decidedly ginger hair. The switch to HD must have been a nightmare for them in that respect.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

This is pretty cool:
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-a-100002-13260688-1.html
(Adblock strongly recommended for any .cn site)

Back in December, when Top Gear was filming in China, some random Chinese Top Gear fan happened to stay at the same Beijing hotel as May. The guy recognized him in the morning and proceeded to stalk May from the hotel to the filming site, where he proceeded to take a bunch of candid pictures of them filming.

He got some pretty cool photos of Top Gear behind-the-scenes; worth a look even if you can't read Chinese.

Did you know both James and Jeremy smoke?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wedesdo posted:

This is pretty cool:
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-a-100002-13260688-1.html
(Adblock strongly recommended for any .cn site)

Back in December, when Top Gear was filming in China, some random Chinese Top Gear fan happened to stay at the same Beijing hotel as May. The guy recognized him in the morning and proceeded to stalk May from the hotel to the filming site, where he proceeded to take a bunch of candid pictures of them filming.

He got some pretty cool photos of Top Gear behind-the-scenes; worth a look even if you can't read Chinese.

Haha I like this pic, it's like Jeremy is contemplating his entire life and every decision he's ever made:

I can just hear James whining in this pic "But I want to go into the factory and look at all the machines!!"

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

what I kinda expect them to do was get the knockoffs and test/rail them, like get the pseudo x5 and compare it to a real x5

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Wedesdo posted:

I thought Jeremy said he quit years ago. Anyways that was pretty cool, thanks for finding it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I thought Jeremy said he quit years ago. Anyways that was pretty cool, thanks for finding it.

I think Jeremy has quit and started smoking again more times than James has re-arranged his spanner set.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If you've ever seen a HD close up of Clarkson's teeth, you'd think he munches on cigarettes laced with brick dust.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

EvilMoFo posted:

what I kinda expect them to do was get the knockoffs and test/rail them, like get the pseudo x5 and compare it to a real x5

Doubtful that the Chinese government would let them do that.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Hah, proof this show is scripted!

But I still love it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Nonsense, those are just the instructions from the Chinese government on what they can't say. You can't script things like those banners ripping in the India special.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
The only thing I disliked about last week's show was there were no predictable Robin-like rollovers in the Chinese 3 wheeler.

fivre posted:

Nonsense, those are just the instructions from the Chinese government on what they can't say. You can't script things like those banners ripping in the India special.

Or Arse Biscuits and Penis Oils. Man I loved that episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That 24-hour race one was one of the best ever. Mixed in with the scripted dorkiness was a huge amount of real live honest-to-god experience, stuff like Hammond hitting the Mosler and James accidentally parking in front of the other guys' bay. And at the end you could tell the emotional bond they'd forged with the car was real as hell.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fermunky posted:

The only thing I disliked about last week's show was there were no predictable Robin-like rollovers in the Chinese 3 wheeler.

Pretty sure they'd die if they tried to roll that thing.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

_firehawk posted:

Hah, proof this show is scripted!

But I still love it.

It could just be notes, field notes about the cars, the stupid names that sort of thing, could be what camera theyre walking towards, THERE IS A poo poo TON OF STUFF THIS COULD BE besides a script with dialogue written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've always pondered how people believe that James May, a man who CANNOT REMEMBER HIS DRIVE TO WORK after 18 seasons, would be able to remember a weekly script?