Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
A - My understanding of the clans is that they are all about not wasting materiel, and this seems like the logical move to achieve their goals for minimal investment.

RC2 - Take all the good tech, but don't get greedy. Time, it is a wasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Voting A.

Voting RC2 because both gently caress Capellans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I dunno where I'm gonna land on this one, frankly.

The implications of the Red Corsair vote are a lot harder to parse since there's one Greedy vote (which might bite us in the rear end, but bites the Mariks even harder), one Charity vote (that certainly could wind up biting us in the rear end), and one Balanced vote in between (which might or might not bite us in the rear end). Who knows what hidden variables (ROM Agents on the sidelines, how Duncan Marik reacts to each choice) lie beneath each variation? Though leaving ComStar dropships, even just a few, would lead to some hilarious Marik anti-ComStar setups in the future, though. Another power running counter to its canon fate is always interesting.

Skye probably won't end up the winning party out of any deals with the Steel Vipers but it beats getting burned and subjugated, and at least this way we'll have another New Power capable of shaking up the scene on the Sphere Map. The other power I can name are those Nefariously Mysterious NRWR guys, who probably wouldn't exist if the Knights of the Inner Sphere were around. As an aside, I'm still interested in them and wonder if they're really badguys and a bad influence on Duncan or just remarkably pragmatic (seeing as how they're Periphery and all).

However it's also entirely possible, with PTN's enigmatic remarks, that the votes don't necessarily mean what their obvious implications state. A vote for B might not necessarily mean Skye would lose should the time come, and there might be a plot twist when the Steel Vipers attack Skye. Should the Clans prove to be less honorable than they make themselves out to be (forgoing old debts in favor of peer-pressure from the Grand Council) the attack on Skye might be carried out with lowered morale. There might even be a small but significant-enough defection or the escape of some bondsmen, however unlikely. Even more unlikely is the possibility of a full-blown Clan Steel Vipers-in-Exile parked in Skye space led by a bunch of people who think Caesar Steiner is a Totally Cool Guy and that the Grand Council-fearing elders can go eat several bags of dicks.

Ain't gonna happen, but a guy can dream. :allears:

EDIT: Caesar Steiner doesn't have to be a pretender Khan or anything, he just has to be himself.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 10, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Caesar Steiner as Better Phelan Kell is all part of the plan.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
B and RC2.

Clansmen friendlier than average to the Inner Sphere or not, working with an Inner Sphere power as an equal just would not sit well with most Clansmen.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dramatic Blackmail for Voting A - The Influence of Literature in Democracy

I really want to vote B because Clans, but I'll be damned if the flavor doesn't strongly encourage a vote for A.

Vote: A

And also

Vote: RC1

All of it!

Patchouli
Mar 30, 2011
A and RC1

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
A

RC2

This is a really hard vote...

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
B - Clanners don't negotiate.

RC2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Further thoughts.

Hoping for a powerful, independent Skye out of B is a bit of a Hail Mary pass, while it's easier to hope that the Steel Vipers integrate themselves into Skye as fully as the (ahem) Dark Age Bears of the Rasalhague Dominion eventually would. Here's hoping they go native in addition to taking advantage of the Skye corridor into Terra, which they certainly will.

If this is the first step in a Steel Viper-led new Star League empire, I'd be terribly interested in how things pan out in the timeskip for everyone else once we've got a brand new elephant in the Inner Sphere room (FedCom? Who needs 'em!). I'll just need a calendar date for a frame of reference, I've already forgotten what the exact year was. 3036?

And I do want to see the Mariks get good things, of course I do. I'd also like to see the Kell Hounds rolling with some sweet SLDF Royals (Hey, Melissa, how's the BLR-1Gb?) and maybe a bit of Star League know-how once poo poo goes down. They have enough time to make a copy of the Memory Core, right? Or does the smash-and-grab job preclude copying the actual Core?

Is RC3 secretly a "We take the Core for ourselves and leave the rest" choice? I know I'm not getting an answer out of PTN for that one, so that's rhetorical.

Even if it is, I think I'll vote safe on this one.

A for a Skye safe from predation, Lyran or Viper. And hopefully for a Viper-led Star League Empire we get to rebel against in the future.
RC2 for the least risky heist maneuver. It also plays nice with the Mariks, who I think could use some nice things for a change. Like the Helm Memory Core. That oughta be pretty good.

Hopefully the timeskip lets us play with more L2 IS tech. It'd be even better if by the time my turn rolls around, we're running Jihadtech with a political setup that looks nothing like the canon Sphere Map.

What? I don't dislike crazy Wobbie tech. I just dislike where the canon Jihad eventually leads. I really like those Celestial Omnis though and hope some show up in the most unlikely of places.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
If anything, it sounds like there's a possibility that Caesar might end up this continuity's Ragnar.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Voting A because the Steel Vipers continue to be entertaining and this seems to work out the best for independent Skye as well.

Going to go with RC1 because I don't like the idea of leaving Kell Hounds and Team Banzai mechs behind for the Free Worlds League for some reason. They still get the Memory Core, so it should still be good for them, I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking of the Dark Age Bears, they actually have a whole Galaxy say "Clan life is awful and I don't know why it took us so long to figure it out. We're going to go native now. Later."

That's my ultimate goal. But bigger.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If anyone can do it, Caesar Steiner can!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They usually defect when you start sending them a steady supply of consumer goods. It's what happened with the Nova Cats. They say some poo poo about visions, but it was really Uncle Chandy.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
A I want to see what a negotiation between Vipes and Skye when Ceasar Steiner is a bondsman of the Vipes.

RC1 Taking everything back to Skye I suspect doesn't just help out the Corsairs; remember that the routed Highlanders are retreating to Skye to rebuild...

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In my personal alternate timeline, all of Kerenskys troops ended up on the Far Country planet and was never heard from ever again.

Suffer not the Clanners to live. Skye Independant. :colbert:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Heh. My vision is of a independent, techonologically advanced Skye that provides well for its people while being defended by mechs armed with Clan tech level melee outfits.
Hyper Assault Vibrohammer Ahoy!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GenericOverusedName posted:

A and RC1 because I like bandwagoning and stealing everything I can get my hands on.

E: For those who may still be curious, all of the panic rooms for this past mission can be found here.

The turn 8 doc is special. :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

B and RC2.

Clansmen friendlier than average to the Inner Sphere or not, working with an Inner Sphere power as an equal just would not sit well with most Clansmen.
Worked fine for the Wolves, Ghost Bears, Nova Cats and Snow Ravens.

Keru posted:

In my personal alternate timeline, all of Kerenskys troops ended up on the Far Country planet and was never heard from ever again.
There's a map floating around that has the Tetatae Imperium invade post-Jihad and conquer a huge part of the Inner Sphere using their super-advanced mechs gained by reverse engineering the ones from Far Country (because lolol time travel guis). It's from a writer's conference so it was taken as real for a while.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
A and RC3

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A and RC1. Free Skye, supported by the Vipers, with a load of star league era mechs.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Incidentally, even if thatbastardken doesn't get a proper go around, I think he ought to be made Lorebastard of the thread. Even if we only roll Spheroid from hereon out.

Does it strike anyone as funny that Skye seems to be a flashpoint for a lot of people right now? Nobody, not even ComStar (who engineered the modern "Free Skye" to maintain the balance of power in the Sphere), could've seen this coming.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Incidentally, even if thatbastardken doesn't get a proper go around, I think he ought to be made Lorebastard of the thread. Even if we only roll Spheroid from hereon out.

Not to worry, the Loremaster would just chronicle the journals and reports of the great warriors of the Inner Sphere before they are ruthlessly destroyed by the mightier Clan Mechwarriors.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
A and RC3

Make sure Marik knows that the mechs were deliberately left for him. We may have lied to him, but can still salvage this as doing him a big favor. Having a friendly leader when Melissa regains her throne is worth a few mechs. Besides, trying to fight deck by deck on a ship the size of those dropships will get ugly really fast.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
A and RC2

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
Steel Viper Grand Council Vote:
A) Possibility to go a long ways towards your goal and save mechs/materials in the process? Go for it -- and mock the other Clanners who do it the other way and thus are slow to reach the prize

Red Corsairs Vote:
RC2) "Hey, have some dropships! And other goodies as a consolation prize."

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
A and RC2. As much as I'd love to give Skye and the mercs every advantage I could, Marik could use some immediate help, instead of waiting who-knows-how long for that memory core to be utilized.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A
rc1

Enter the own zone!

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
A, RC2

Give Skye first-among-equals status within the reconstituted Star League, but don't completely screw over Marik. He did help when he didn't have to after all. The Helm memory core won't matter to Skye if they get true Clan tech, anyways.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey, the Helm Core is a lot more than weapons schematics. It's like finding a second Library of Alexandria after the first one got torched.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A
RC1

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A
Diplomacy is king :colbert:

RC1
Steal everything.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Defiance Industries posted:

Speaking of the Dark Age Bears, they actually have a whole Galaxy say "Clan life is awful and I don't know why it took us so long to figure it out. We're going to go native now. Later."

That's my ultimate goal. But bigger.

This is why Clan Ghost Bear is the best Clan and I am their biggest shill.

GHOST BEAAAARRRRRRRSSSS! :sweden:

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback

Carbolic posted:

B - Clanners don't negotiate.

Don't think of it as negotiating. Think of it as winning the low bid, and having to take Skye with nothing but a smile. I figure a lot of clanner courtship must work this way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not voting for villainy.

Well, I am, but not any more than anyone else. My point is, I get the distinct impression that in this universe, mostly everyone is a villain.

Anyway also, if the clan invasion reaches Skye as a front, that might actually prompt Inner Sphere powers to be forced to recognize them and even support them, because the alternative would be to allow the clans to conquer them and gain more ground. On the other hand, it's possible that clan negotiations with Skye result in a breakdown of negotiations and no deal, but just the fact of the negotiations lead IS powers to attack them.

Or a third possibility is that by allying with a clan, Skye ensures its own total destruction.

So what I'm getting at is that there's certainly no guarantee that voting A is voting for Skye's survival, or that B is voting for their destruction.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
A and RC2. Corsairs deserve to grab some of the goodies.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
A
RC1

Take all the shiny things, and then sell them back to the Marik's

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
A
RC1

This just looks like the most exciting set of options. I'm even breaking my usual 'max carnage' rule for Skye here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
B The invasion goes well, there is no need to negotiate with IS scum who sit complacent for centuries and only move against the pretenders when the wind shifts.

RC2 We need the SLDF mechs a billion times more then Marik does, and it's not like he can do poo poo about it for the forseeable future. Leave him some scraps and the core, and if he raises poo poo after the Capellans run out of steam politely remind him you handed the facility to him on a loving silver platter.

• Locked thread