Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any good 27" 120hz monitors? What is the best 24ish one?
I'm also wondering this.

Right now I have a Planar 2311W (23.6" 120Hz) and it's a bit too small for me.

I'm tempted to go for the Acer HN274H, but everybody says that 1080p @ 27" is really going to look bad. It also doesn't help that it's a TN panel.

I'd be more-than-happy for a 1920x1200 true 24" monitor (120 Hz) but none of those exist either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I remember downgrading to a FX5200 from a ATI 9700 to force me to study & stop playing games, however everything about it was terrible. Video playback was choppy, and dual monitor support was unstable. The quality on the 2nd monitor was so bad I stopped using it

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

dud root posted:

I remember downgrading to a FX5200 from a ATI 9700 to force me to study & stop playing games, however everything about it was terrible. Video playback was choppy, and dual monitor support was unstable. The quality on the 2nd monitor was so bad I stopped using it

Well, I don't exactly put high demands on my machine, but I have noticed that it doesn't handle video terribly well. I didn't really see any of the problems Factory Factory's test graphic was supposed to identify, but maybe the new monitor is a good excuse for a hardware upgrade anyway. Time to shop around.

Thanks for the information, folks.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
The internal TMDS on the FX 5000 series GPUs could not handle the full DVI bandwidth. Only cards with an external TMDS chip could handle 1920x1200.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Right now I have a micron 2100ex 21" monitor and was looking to replace it with a lcd. How would this be? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176198&Tpk=HP%202311

I do have a Nvidia 450 GTS video card. Mostly game.

amishmatrix
Mar 21, 2009
So I recently picked up a Korean-made IPS monitor and I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it seems like I've got such a sweet screen for so little money.

I'm genuinely baffled as to how cheap these are. The last monitor I bought was a 23" Dell TFT and that ran me around $220. Now, for $240 I've got a 27" IPS-S Monitor with a glass front and a resolution of 2560x1400.

Now, I'm no connoisseur of screens and I hardly know what a contrast ratio even is but this thing seems to be pretty decent. There's no lag or ghosting, colors are vivid, bright and accurate, and the viewing angle is pretty much 180 degrees either way.

Why have I never seen these in North America and why doesn't everyone have one? It doesn't even compare with my Dells back home...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Good question. Any detail on the model number?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Vinlaen posted:

I'm also wondering this.

Why do people want 120Hz? For 3D glasses? To reduce tearing when gaming?
But do you have a GPU that can drive your game at more than 60 FPS anyway (particularly at 27" resolutions like above 1080p)?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
What's the black depth like on the U2412M? My understanding with regard to TVs is that LED back-lit (as opposed to edge-lit) TVs are capable of quite good black depth due to local dimming of the lights. Do LED back-lit monitors do this?

Also, how do blacks on Dell Ultrasharps in general compare with run-of-the-mill TN panels in this regard? I know vertically aligned LCDs win the contrast wars hands-down, but is there much of a difference between the other two types as far as this is concerned?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cwapface posted:

What's the black depth like on the U2412M? My understanding with regard to TVs is that LED back-lit (as opposed to edge-lit) TVs are capable of quite good black depth due to local dimming of the lights. Do LED back-lit monitors do this?

Ironically, it's almost impossible to find actual back lit LED TVs that do real local dimming now, because you can't make them as outrageously thin as the edge lit models. Edge lighting still advertises local dimming, but the control is so much more coarse that it ends up looking like poo poo. Progress!!!

That said, I don't think monitors generally do local LED dimming. Samsung likes to do crap they call dynamic brightness and contrast, but I don't think that is the same thing.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

I'm also wondering this.

I'm tempted to go for the Acer HN274H, but everybody says that 1080p @ 27" is really going to look bad. It also doesn't help that it's a TN panel.

I'd be more-than-happy for a 1920x1200 true 24" monitor (120 Hz) but none of those exist either.

I use the Acer HN274H for 3D gaming and personally I think it looks very, very nice (the actual image itself - I'm not a fan of the monitor's design). I've never noticed anything that would make me think even once "man this looks kind of stretched out".

amishmatrix
Mar 21, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Good question. Any detail on the model number?

Yeah, it's a Shimian QH270 IPSBS. There's literally no information on the internet about them. The only reason I thought to look for one is that they're VERY popular in PC Rooms around Korea, pretty much every other one uses them.

One PC Room worker that spoke English informed me that he heard they use LG panels, not sure if that's true or not.

I've used the big Apple monitors at work and I'd say this one comes close. It definitely is trying to look like one with its bezel-less glass front. It's blacks aren't quite as deep as Apples but the brightness and crispness certainly seems on par.

http://search.danawa.com/dsearch.php?k1=shimian&module=goods&act=dispMain&x=0&y=0

amishmatrix fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 8, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I know LG and Samsung make a lot of panels, so perhaps it would make sense that Korea has some kind of advanced LCD technology.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Glass Hand posted:

Well, I don't exactly put high demands on my machine, but I have noticed that it doesn't handle video terribly well. I didn't really see any of the problems Factory Factory's test graphic was supposed to identify, but maybe the new monitor is a good excuse for a hardware upgrade anyway. Time to shop around.

Thanks for the information, folks.

If you don't game, I would just get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131451

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

That said, I don't think monitors generally do local LED dimming. Samsung likes to do crap they call dynamic brightness and contrast, but I don't think that is the same thing.
I figured as much. But how is black depth going to be in comparison to your regular, big, built-for-gamers TN panel?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

amishmatrix posted:

Yeah, it's a Shimian QH270 IPSBS. There's literally no information on the internet about them. The only reason I thought to look for one is that they're VERY popular in PC Rooms around Korea, pretty much every other one uses them.

One PC Room worker that spoke English informed me that he heard they use LG panels, not sure if that's true or not.

I've used the big Apple monitors at work and I'd say this one comes close. It definitely is trying to look like one with its bezel-less glass front. It's blacks aren't quite as deep as Apples but the brightness and crispness certainly seems on par.

http://search.danawa.com/dsearch.php?k1=shimian&module=goods&act=dispMain&x=0&y=0
A different page on that same site lists that monitor as being 783,900W, which is over USD650. Where did you get it so cheap?

edit: shiiiit, I didn't mean to make a new reply. Sorry for the double post.

edit2: durrr, I guess that site you linked, which seems to be selling them. Ah, hmmm.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 8, 2012

amishmatrix
Mar 21, 2009

Cwapface posted:

A different page on that same site lists that monitor as being 783,900W, which is over USD650. Where did you get it so cheap?

edit: shiiiit, I didn't mean to make a new reply. Sorry for the double post.

edit2: durrr, I guess that site you linked, which seems to be selling them. Ah, hmmm.

In all honesty I don't know, through some seller on Danawa is all I can say for sure. I had a Korean friend of mine take care of the transaction since it's all in Korean.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

amishmatrix posted:

In all honesty I don't know, through some seller on Danawa is all I can say for sure. I had a Korean friend of mine take care of the transaction since it's all in Korean.
Are you in Korea, or did you get it shipped somewhere? If so, where to, and how much did that set you back?

edit: It also looks like that the one I linked is a different model. Well, not different model, but a different iteration of that model or something. There seem to be different kinds for different prices with slightly different features.

amishmatrix
Mar 21, 2009

Cwapface posted:

Are you in Korea, or did you get it shipped somewhere? If so, where to, and how much did that set you back?

edit: It also looks like that the one I linked is a different model. Well, not different model, but a different iteration of that model or something. There seem to be different kinds for different prices with slightly different features.

Yeah, I'm in Korea. And yes, there's different versions for different prices. I think they're all the same panel but the more expensive ones have more output ports and stuff like speakers, swivel stand etc.

The 700 dollar one has a CCFL backlight and is 16x10 instead of 16x9.

I'm looking into whether they'll ship internationally since I've got some friends back in Canada who really want one. If I find out something I'll post.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm looking to get a monitor, with a budget of £350 or thereabouts.

It's going to be used 65% for PC work - a mostly home office work and internet, plus photos and some gaming (currently via a laptop with an ATI5650 and an i3, maybe on a gaming computer in the future). The other 35% of the time I'll be using it with my PS3, from a sofa a metre or two away.

I figure something with a 1920x1080 resolution would be the best, to make the most of the PS3. I guess HDMI inputs would be a good idea for the same reason.

I'm trying to work out whether I'd be better going with a 24" IPS monitor, or getting something bigger (to make the PS3 look better from the extra distance) but perhaps less quality.

Anyone got any advice or opinions?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just got my U2412M, but Windows seems to think it's a secondary monitor for some reason, even though it's the only monitor connected. Now I can't access any menus :( And I even rebooted.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
is there no such thing as a 24' 120hz monitor? My old 24' acer monitor is getting this thing where the edges of the screen are significantly brighter than the middle, and it's starting to get on my nerves. If I'm gonna replace it I'd like to grab a 120hz monitor, because I've seen movies/videos/games at 120fps and it's so smooth

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Cicero posted:

Just got my U2412M, but Windows seems to think it's a secondary monitor for some reason, even though it's the only monitor connected. Now I can't access any menus :( And I even rebooted.

Hit this key sequence: Hold the Windows key and tap P twice, then let go of the Windows key.

Let Windows rejigger things and see if that helps. Try that up to three times (the fourth will cycle back to the first setting)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Hit this key sequence: Hold the Windows key and tap P twice, then let go of the Windows key.

Let Windows rejigger things and see if that helps. Try that up to three times (the fourth will cycle back to the first setting)
I was able to resolve it on my own (although it still thinks there's another monitor attached, but this one is primary so whatever), but thanks for the tip, I'm sure it'll come in handy. :)

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
For those of you looking for a good 120Hz 27", look no further than the best on the market. The Asus VG278H. At a hefty 630-700, it's expensive, but highly worth it. It comes with nvidia 3d vision 2 instead of the original though, which is a vast improvement over the previous iteration. Its got nothing but great reviews(a lot of oh my god this changes my opinion on 3d reviews). I'll be picking one up near mid-end February, I'll update with more information on it then.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Anyone here ever buy a monitor from the Dell Outlet? I'm looking to get a U2412M and figured I'd get one that way to save a couple bucks, but would like to know if anyone has had any experience with their refurbs.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My ancient monitor died on me and I need a replacement. My budget is £100, +/- £10. I'm aware I'm in poo poo-tier TN territory here, but I'll have to make do. What's my best option? I would specify a usage profile, but that seems pointless at this price point.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Also this monitor totally owns. Compared to my old cheap 22" TN Acer, everything is so bright and crisp, it just looks fantastic.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Baram posted:

Anyone here ever buy a monitor from the Dell Outlet? I'm looking to get a U2412M and figured I'd get one that way to save a couple bucks, but would like to know if anyone has had any experience with their refurbs.

Got 3 of them through the Outlet, all perfect, no issues at all!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Seven Round Things posted:

My ancient monitor died on me and I need a replacement. My budget is £100, +/- £10. I'm aware I'm in poo poo-tier TN territory here, but I'll have to make do. What's my best option? I would specify a usage profile, but that seems pointless at this price point.

At this point, there's no specific advice. You can get yourself a 24" TN monitor for around this (£113), and although not spectacular, it'll probably be fine. Good for the money, at least.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 9, 2012

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

At this point, there's no specific advice. You can get yourself a 24" TN monitor for around this (£113), and although not spectacular, it'll probably be fine. Good for the money, at least.

Okay, thank you!

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
My ACER GD235HZ came in last night. I don't have my new computer yet so I hooked it up to my older computer. I adjusted it to the sexy 120hz mode and started up a game. I've gotta say, playing Left 4 Dead (medium settings) and actually seeing close to 100 frames was amazing. I can't wait to see this thing in action on my new computer.

I can agree with the advice I've been given from other goons after seeing this in action. If you're into max quality, you're better off going with 60hz especially if you're playing top of the line games. If you've got great hardware or don't mind reducing the video quality in some games, you might like 120hz. Best thing to do is go to a computer store and see it in action.

I've yet to try out the 3d capabilities. I plan on trying it out, but this wasn't the reason I bought this monitor. It's a nice kicker though.

It came with one dead pixel but I'm okay with that since I bought it as a refurb for $100 cheaper than the retail price.

Thanks for your help goons :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Budget IPS options that seems to have a "high" amount of input lag, but I don't know the exact details of Anand's input lag measurements. Regardless, the AOC-i2353PH-IPS may be nice for the casual gamer who also wants bitchin' color reproduction at a low price.

I need to compile a lot of these recent trip reports and throw them up in the OP as well.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

movax posted:

Budget IPS options that seems to have a "high" amount of input lag, but I don't know the exact details of Anand's input lag measurements. Regardless, the AOC-i2353PH-IPS may be nice for the casual gamer who also wants bitchin' color reproduction at a low price.

I need to compile a lot of these recent trip reports and throw them up in the OP as well.

Is there anything specifically I could test for / look for in order to give help aid with information gathering about the Viewsonic VX2336S-LED I have?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Due to the work I'm doing right now I decided it would be worth the annoyance of hooking up my old 2005fpw as an entertainment type monitor. By 'annoyance', I mean 'lousy Nvidia STILL can't figure out how to enable proper power saving on multi monitors by default'. Luckily a) my GPU has a much better cooler than it did the last time I tried this, and b) I learned you can manually 'fix' power saving with multiple monitors by using Nvidia inspector. I'm still playing with it now, and there were some hiccups, but it seems to be working so far. Much better than my card hitting 50C just to have both monitors hooked up.

Also jesus is the backlight on the old monitor yellow, especially in comparison to the LED backlighting on the U2412.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Do you have a Z68 monitor? I get around the power saving problem by plugging one screen to the motherboard's HDMI port. Curiously, games run at full discreet graphic speeds off this port too, I can't explain that one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nope, 2412 plugged into my DP port and the 2005 is plugged into DVI on my 580. My board is a P67, I guess dual monitors might be one situation where a Z68 is preferable.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I want a Dell monitor (2412M) but I literally have no way to get one without taking a day off. I'm not home during weekdays and my workplace isn't really suitable to delivery. I wish they would just sell them in shops, or at least use the normal postal service so I can pick it up. There don't seem to be any other good options in that price range and style either.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

ShardPhoenix posted:

I want a Dell monitor (2412M) but I literally have no way to get one without taking a day off. I'm not home during weekdays and my workplace isn't really suitable to delivery. I wish they would just sell them in shops, or at least use the normal postal service so I can pick it up. There don't seem to be any other good options in that price range and style either.

You can have them hold it for pickup after a 1st delivery attempt for UPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

David Tennant posted:

You can have them hold it for pickup after a 1st delivery attempt for UPS.
I don't have a car either so I can't pick anything up except from my local post office (ie I can't go to a courier's warehouse). I might have found a way to get it at work though, so hopefully that will work out.