Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think you mean a quick and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Here is a widefield image of the Owl nebula and M108 galaxy I took last night. The moon limited the number of objects suitable for a serious imaging run, and this one was the most promising candidate.

Wide Owl

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jekub posted:

A quick and dirty Orion Nebula.

The Orion Nebula by tmarkuk, on Flickr

25x60 second / 25x120 seconds, Canon 1000D on a William Optics ZS66SD.

That's amazing :stare:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
13 second exposure

Garden of the Gods by FullerFotos.net, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
Bulb mode. Can anyone explain how to use it well? What I can seem to understand is how long I should be exposing for.

For example, I'm going to check out some graffiti at night in an area I don't want stick around too long in. I know the shot is going to need > 30s exposure. But how do I know if it needs 45s, 60s, or longer? I'd like the correct exposure on the first shot if at all possible.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Bulb mode. Can anyone explain how to use it well? What I can seem to understand is how long I should be exposing for.

For example, I'm going to check out some graffiti at night in an area I don't want stick around too long in. I know the shot is going to need > 30s exposure. But how do I know if it needs 45s, 60s, or longer? I'd like the correct exposure on the first shot if at all possible.

Darn, and I was going to suggest taking test shots. :haw:

I'm sure there's math you could do to figure it out, but I always go lazy and take several shots until I get a decent one.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

xzzy posted:

I'm sure there's math you could do to figure it out, but I always go lazy and take several shots until I get a decent one.

This is what I do, too. Laziness! (And you get better at guesstimating reasonably accurately the more you do.)

So I'm doing a Project 52, wherein I make one night shot per week, for a year. Here is week 5.

Project 52: Week 5 by C. Wade Photography, on Flickr

The horizon is a little soft. Must have nudged the focus when I was adjusting the star filter. :byodame:

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

This is what I do, too. Laziness! (And you get better at guesstimating reasonably accurately the more you do.)

So I'm doing a Project 52, wherein I make one night shot per week, for a year. Here is week 5.

Project 52: Week 5 by C. Wade Photography, on Flickr

The horizon is a little soft. Must have nudged the focus when I was adjusting the star filter. :byodame:

How do you adjust your white balance to get this look? I have a terrible time adjusting white balance to get rid of the yellow/warm look of my night photos without turning them completely cold.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Falco posted:

How do you adjust your white balance to get this look? I have a terrible time adjusting white balance to get rid of the yellow/warm look of my night photos without turning them completely cold.

Shift towards blue until it starts to balance, then lots of desat on the orange/yellow.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

TheLastManStanding posted:

Shift towards blue until it starts to balance, then lots of desat on the orange/yellow.

Basically this. I struggled with it a little in this photo. Here's the original:

Brought oranges and yellows down individually, and a slight desat overall.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Excellent thanks!

mrs pooglyfoop
Feb 2, 2012

ncol posted:

Bad composition because I failed bringing a tripod on my trip :( Had to use a table.

Nikon D200 w/ 18-200mm VR lens.

no way. i think it's great the way you took it.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

P2047777 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

first go at this of the london eye from waterloo bridge, 30 second exposure, tripod, freezing cold night.

ataxia
Jan 21, 2012

Treesky. by Paul Baker2010, on Flickr

Here's one I took on a night out with a buddy to try and get a picture of the recent Aurora. Alas, no aurora but thought I'd get a few photographs anyway. On reflection I wish I had light up the trees more evenly and got a bit more of the ground illuminated.

Some of these images are incredibly, makes me feel like a complete novice!

ataxia
Jan 21, 2012

Bruges. by Paul Baker2010, on Flickr

Also, heres one from a recent trip to Belgium around Christmas.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What is the difference between stacking multiple exposures and just leaving the lens open for a long period of time (with star trails)? I can only think that stacking would be beneficial if it's a bright night, but all of my favorite star trails involve stacking 50+ exposures for one picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yoohoo posted:

What is the difference between stacking multiple exposures and just leaving the lens open for a long period of time (with star trails)? I can only think that stacking would be beneficial if it's a bright night, but all of my favorite star trails involve stacking 50+ exposures for one picture.

Shorter exposures reduce the risk of overheating the sensor perhaps?

I could see it helping with errors. With 50 exposures it's unlikely anyone would notice if you threw one or two frames out. With a single exposure, you just spent 30 minutes putting all your eggs in one basket.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

Shorter exposures reduce the risk of overheating the sensor perhaps?

It's mainly this. Most of the time especially on the lower model cameras, you stack images to reduce the amount of digital noise in the photo.

ataxia
Jan 21, 2012
Stacking multiple exposures allows you to cover a higher dynamic range. For instance, in a scene with a very bright ground an foreground such as a brightly lit building and a nice dark sky. You can make an exposure for the foreground and underexpose the sky, then do the same for the sky. You can then stack these and get a correct exposure for both.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

ataxia posted:

Stacking multiple exposures allows you to cover a higher dynamic range. For instance, in a scene with a very bright ground an foreground such as a brightly lit building and a nice dark sky. You can make an exposure for the foreground and underexpose the sky, then do the same for the sky. You can then stack these and get a correct exposure for both.

Right, but for night photography usually the exposures are pretty consistant. So the HDR effects would be neglagable. For me though I go with the one long exposure, it seems that my D70s doesn't like the short night exposures and throws a bunch of noise and banding in, but when I do a 10 or more minute exposure everything is just peaches. YMMV though.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Lord Rupert posted:

Right, but for night photography usually the exposures are pretty consistant. So the HDR effects would be neglagable. For me though I go with the one long exposure, it seems that my D70s doesn't like the short night exposures and throws a bunch of noise and banding in, but when I do a 10 or more minute exposure everything is just peaches. YMMV though.
You clearly don't understand how cameras work...

ataxia
Jan 21, 2012
I've always been of the understanding that theres always an increase in noise the longer you expose, but maybe I'm just talking crap.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This didn't turn out quite like I expected but it was the clearest one I was able to get with the tripod on my bed.

Bedroom Skyline by jg zkc, on Flickr

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
This was taken with a friend's telescope using his very nice S-Big camera and narrowband filters (Sulphur 2, Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen 3) in the classic Hubble palette. I think around 20 hours total data.

sh171 Narrowband by tmarkuk, on Flickr

The colour fringe around the bright stars comes from some nasty internal reflections caused by the filters, looks like he needs to send those back. Annoyingly each filter has reflected at slightly different angles, brightness and size hence the colour effects.

This is my first attempt at processing narrowband, it makes for a very different challenge than working single shot colour RGB images as I normally do, also makes me want to spend lots of money.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

P2117807 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Blown out street lights, but the cars where not travelling fast enough for a short exposure, needed 13 seconds between traffic light cycles.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

P2117807 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Blown out street lights, but the cars where not travelling fast enough for a short exposure, needed 13 seconds between traffic light cycles.

Looks like you were already pretty stopped down, but you can try an ND filter for this next time. Like the composition, though.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks for the advice, I will be getting access to a few grad filters in a couple of weeks.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Jekub posted:

This was taken with a friend's telescope using his very nice S-Big camera and narrowband filters (Sulphur 2, Hydrogen Alpha, Oxygen 3) in the classic Hubble palette. I think around 20 hours total data.

sh171 Narrowband by tmarkuk, on Flickr

The colour fringe around the bright stars comes from some nasty internal reflections caused by the filters, looks like he needs to send those back. Annoyingly each filter has reflected at slightly different angles, brightness and size hence the colour effects.

This is my first attempt at processing narrowband, it makes for a very different challenge than working single shot colour RGB images as I normally do, also makes me want to spend lots of money.

That's stunning, good god. I don't think I even want to know what a setup like that would cost. Haha. Spectacular results, though.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

ataxia posted:

Treesky. by Paul Baker2010, on Flickr

This is amazing. I love the tree how it is; would be interested to see more of the ground lit, but I don't think the photo requires it.

Well, here's week six:

project 52, week 6 by C. Wade Photography, on Flickr

Should have used a grad filter on the bottom I guess, and could live without the traffic trail, but it was 12 degrees! Get in, get out.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
1.5 seconds, just set the X100 on a guardrail, 2 shots stitched.

DSCF1679-Edit.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

ataxia
Jan 21, 2012
Thank you Ishki, always nice to hear compliments in between all the critique. You have some amazing shots on your flickr, makes me look comparatively puny! Also love the variety of colors in pimms, looks like a beautiful place.

Brewdog
Sep 4, 2011

Untitled by Benbrewer85, on Flickr

Unfortunately I didn't get any train shots with interesting light trails from the road underneath, but it's something to aim for next time. Something like a combination of the above 2 photos was what I was after. Also I think they're a bit light overall, but it was hard with the street light so prominent. I might try from the other sde of the bridge next time, or try for a higher vantage point if I can think of something.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

poopinmymouth posted:

1.5 seconds, just set the X100 on a guardrail, 2 shots stitched.

DSCF1679-Edit.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

I love this, the different coloured lights reflecting on the water are beautiful!

This thread really makes me want to go out and get some shots tonight.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

P2197870 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafalgar_Square

P2197820 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Eye

modulartribe
Feb 24, 2012

modular tribesman

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Do test shots at a high iso (3200-6400) to make sure the shot is all in focus and framed right, then drop it down. It's hard (but not impossible) to do a great exposure on the first shot, but I'd take a few just in case. There is nothing worse than going home after shooting and finding out that photo that looked great on your display looks terrible on your computer.

Also, invest in a shutter release cable if you haven't already... pretty cheap on amazon, and makes it way easier and less shaky.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I made a thing with what there cameras

Waikato Night by trambopaline, on Flickr

truncated aardvar
Jan 21, 2011

WARNING: Contents may contain traces of nuts.
That thing's sure a thing.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Trambopaline posted:

Great photo. Is it sunrise and a city on a horizon, or two cities?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Trambopaline posted:

Very nice, New Zealand looks great for dark skies: http://www.blue-marble.de/nightlights/2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Trambopaline posted:

This is incredible, great job. New Zealand stars are some of the clearest and brightest I have ever seen. I will never forget camping on a beach on Lake Tekapo and seeing the reflection of the Milky Way in the water (didn't have a camera with me :argh:)