Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well there goes my hopes of UU being the Handmaiden unless she majyyked her horns into a different shape or it's a pre-Scratch version or something. I should probably stop bending myself into a knot for this speculation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

quote:

TT: That's cool. I'm not trying to pass judgment here. Just curious.
TT: Do any of these stories about us by any chance involve...
TT: Romance?
UU: well...
UU: maybe jUst...
UU: Um.
UU: a wee bit. :u
TT: How wee?
UU: a smidgen or two.
TT: Which is it? One smidgen, or two smidgens?
UU: OK A WHOLE BLOODY LOT OF SMIDGENS. XU
UU: i'm sorry. unu

I would not be surprised if we end up seeing UU's fanfiction on Valentine's day. Like how we saw the first Mindfang journal entry last year.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, a few things I did note about UU's appearance...

The Sufferer's Sign didn't exist until after his death, and it was always grey--and taken from the execution tool used to kill him in the first place.

Plus, this half-cuff version was a bright red. I think we can either assume Hussie's going to retcon a few details, or this is not some kind of Mobius Reacharound and that we're talking to a young Sufferer.

Plus, while we may assume the horns are "Stupid Fantroll Stuff" (And they are), they also are shaped vaguely like the "Snakes" on her own Sign, put upside-down.

So yeah, UU's probably from the next universe, however that works out.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Alectai posted:

The Sufferer's Sign didn't exist until after his death, and it was always grey--and taken from the execution tool used to kill him in the first place.

Plus, this half-cuff version was a bright red. I think we can either assume Hussie's going to retcon a few details, or this is not some kind of Mobius Reacharound and that we're talking to a young Sufferer.

Plus, while we may assume the horns are "Stupid Fantroll Stuff" (And they are), they also are shaped vaguely like the "Snakes" on her own Sign, put upside-down.

The irons glowed bright red when the Sufferer wore them (they'd been heated in a fire). So possibly some versions of the symbol incorporate that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

I would not be surprised if we end up seeing UU's fanfiction on Valentine's day. Like how we saw the first Mindfang journal entry last year.

What do you think she ships? I bet it's something ridiculous like Jake <3< Jane :allears:

Really anyone <3< anyone would be weird enough.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

loquacius posted:

What do you think she ships? I bet it's something ridiculous like Jake <3< Jane :allears:

Really anyone <3< anyone would be weird enough.

Dirk <3< Auto-Responder?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
So, I'm not entirely sure why, but I've found myself watching end of act 5 reaction videos on youtube. I get a genuine kick out of watching people get amazed at the various landmines in the flash (WV getting impaled, exiles dying, god tier jade/rose/dave, sollux, etc) and the various emotions the viewers go through. One of my favorites was of two girls who were pretty much completely silent the entire time because they were so amazed and absorbed with what was happening.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Boneless Jogger posted:

I'm betting on Dirk revealing his feelings to Jake on Valentine's Day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Lord of Laughton posted:

So, I'm not entirely sure why, but I've found myself watching end of act 5 reaction videos on youtube. I get a genuine kick out of watching people get amazed at the various landmines in the flash (WV getting impaled, exiles dying, god tier jade/rose/dave, sollux, etc) and the various emotions the viewers go through. One of my favorites was of two girls who were pretty much completely silent the entire time because they were so amazed and absorbed with what was happening.

Oh god I thought I was the only person who did that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The irons glowed bright red when the Sufferer wore them (they'd been heated in a fire). So possibly some versions of the symbol incorporate that.
oh, of course. Because if Karkat wasn't hiding behind his lame gray anonymity, his symbol would be bright red.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So UU is every fantroll made canon and pre-scratch Sufferer and duedly firearms AND Calmesis? I think I'm going to need a lie down for a bit.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Alectai posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that hes in a new universe where theyre very aware of Sburb. Im guessing that they defeat English and establish a universe without him and now the kids, and probably the trolls too (they know about God-tier wings), are legends to them, as the people who saved them from the English cycle.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

KoB posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that hes in a new universe where theyre very aware of Sburb. Im guessing that they defeat English and establish a universe without him and now the kids, and probably the trolls too (they know about God-tier wings), are legends to them, as the people who saved them from the English cycle.

I'm still kind of weirded out by how UU looks like she's typing in an Exile terminal, though. Terezi said in a pesterlog back in Act 4 that Exiles are supposed to rebuild society in order to eventually seed another session. So I thought maybe it was still Earth, but in the far future. But then, how do trolls get there? And more importantly, why? Plus UU's terminal, from what we've seen at least, doesn't seem to work like the other exile terminals. Guess there's not enough information either way though.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just remembered that UU said that she was in another universe entirely.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, we've already had hints (during the intermission) that Kanaya might eventually be able to get her hands on another matriorb through alchemy shenanigans or something. That would explain how they could create a universe with trolls in it: go through the door at the end of the game, bring the matriorb, hatch it somewhere. End of Act 7 Act 1.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Finally giving this a try.. holy crap. I'm only on chapter 9 out of 22 in Problem Sleuth. This is pretty funny, but it's going to be a while before I can catch up to the current story I guess. I'll prolly go straight from PS to the current story so I can see things as they unfold. Cool and unique idea for a web comic.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Well, we've already had hints (during the intermission) that Kanaya might eventually be able to get her hands on another matriorb through alchemy shenanigans or something. That would explain how they could create a universe with trolls in it: go through the door at the end of the game, bring the matriorb, hatch it somewhere. End of Act 7 Act 1.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of why trolls would be on post scratch Earth instead of the new universe. But that's kind of a moot point unless UU is lying (I don't really buy into the "UU is evil" thing. Especially not after this update) or misinformed about not being in the same universe. (she almost definitely is misinformed about things, but probably not about this)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

go through the door at the end of the game, bring the matriorb, hatch it somewhere. End of Act 7 Act 1 Orson Scott Card's seminal work Speaker For The Dead.

Wait, I zoned out. What were we talking about? :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

glug posted:

Finally giving this a try.. holy crap. I'm only on chapter 9 out of 22 in Problem Sleuth. This is pretty funny, but it's going to be a while before I can catch up to the current story I guess. I'll prolly go straight from PS to the current story so I can see things as they unfold. Cool and unique idea for a web comic.

Good for you, I'd love to be able to read this stuff fresh again. Homestuck is a very different beast, by the way - it may be jarring at first if you go into it with expectations formed from Problem Sleuth. But it's very worth sticking with even if you're not entirely in love with the first act's inventory system jokes. (I was, though.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

glug posted:

No worries, take your time. It's not going anywhere, no need to burn yourself out by reading it all at once really fast. And ultimately a slow burn through the stories I think makes for a more satisfying experience.

And don't do what I did and get a lot of stuff spoiled by reading the MSPA wikia out of impatience :negative:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Hmm...maybe I'm imagining things, but aren't UU's horns kinda like the ones Gamzee's lusus had?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Transient People posted:

Hmm...maybe I'm imagining things, but aren't UU's horns kinda like the ones Gamzee's lusus had?

They're inverted copies of the snakes on the Rod of Asclepius. Whatever else that might mean, they're definitely unique to UU.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Corkscrew horns are not unprecedented. UU's lusus found:

Fittingly enough, this fellow is called a markhor, which is apparently derived from a Persian word meaning "snake" due to the horns.

(I spent some time googling for markhor images since I didn't like the ones on the Wikipedia article and eventually settled on this one because of the interesting clone brush disaster. While doing so I ran across a shitload of pictures of hunters with dead ones. There's only a few thousand of these left, guys, what the hell.)

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

quote:

UU: thoUgh i'm sUre i've said, he isn't qUite my brother. we are related, yes, bUt not in the way hUman brothers and sisters are.
UU: we are genetically similar, bUt in many ways qUite different. in fact, oUr blood coloUr is not even the same!

This makes me think that either UU or her brother will turn out to be a lime blood, with the other sibling red like Karkat. Didn't Hussie say that lime bloods occupy the "slot" in the hemospectrum that Karkat would have occupied if he weren't a freakish mutant? Which could account for "genetic similarity" between UU and her sibling if one were red-blooded and one were lime-blooded.

Also thinking that UU and her brother are going to play up the yin-yang thing even more, with one being the good/helpful sibling and one being the bad/antagonistic sibling. We already have UU as a Prospit dreamer and bro-UU as a Derse dreamer. Not to mention that the Suffer's symbol can be vaguely interpreted as a sort of yin-yang. I'm with whoever said that UU's bro will have the other half of the symbol.

~theories~

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Corkscrew horns are not unprecedented. UU's lusus found:

Fittingly enough, this fellow is called a markhor, which is apparently derived from a Persian word meaning "snake" due to the horns.

(I spent some time googling for markhor images since I didn't like the ones on the Wikipedia article and eventually settled on this one because of the interesting clone brush disaster. While doing so I ran across a shitload of pictures of hunters with dead ones. There's only a few thousand of these left, guys, what the hell.)

What disaster? I'm pretty sure every field has perfectly matched half-blown dandelion heads. :colbert:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Cabbit posted:

Edit: That was probably more aggressive than it needed to be. Pretend I said "Be Less Judgmental." in a much nicer way.

Sorry. I almost certainly shouldn't have posted that anyway, considering it was heinously dumb (people ought to stop doing harmless things? what the gently caress was I thinking), not something I feel particularly strongly about, and essentially worthless as a contribution to the thread. Live and learn I guess, I'll try to think more before posting next time, and probably cut it out altogether as just something to do when I'm bored.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 9, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

This makes me think that either UU or her brother will turn out to be a lime blood, with the other sibling red like Karkat. Didn't Hussie say that lime bloods occupy the "slot" in the hemospectrum that Karkat would have occupied if he weren't a freakish mutant? Which could account for "genetic similarity" between UU and her sibling if one were red-blooded and one were lime-blooded.

Also thinking that UU and her brother are going to play up the yin-yang thing even more, with one being the good/helpful sibling and one being the bad/antagonistic sibling. We already have UU as a Prospit dreamer and bro-UU as a Derse dreamer. Not to mention that the Suffer's symbol can be vaguely interpreted as a sort of yin-yang. I'm with whoever said that UU's bro will have the other half of the symbol.

~theories~

I think when he was saying "the slot Karkat should have occupied" he was talking more in that the troll session had members ranging the whole haemospectrum, except for a lime blood, with the variance in their blood colour being a consistent numerical difference on the hex codes, aside from Karkat, and that lime would be the one colour left, rather than any kind of genetic similarity between the lime blood and Karkat's mutation.

I'm pretty sure UU is a lime blood though, if just for the "limey" pun that is inevitable.

I'm personally still working on the theory that Calmasis is referencing UU, and the gender ambiguity is because while she is a girl, her alternate personality is her "brother", who is male. Or something. It's not very well thought out yet.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
That icon on the troll's sleeve. Seems like half of Karkat/Sufferer's sign.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Oxxidation posted:

Technically, but don't ever tell them that.

Also it's gotten a little harder for me to hold onto the "UU is secret sinister saboteur" angle after that conversation.

Yeah, the "UU is the Batterwitch" theory has pretty much tripped down an infinite flight of stairs at this point.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this characterization here. Mostly because it reminds me of a good friend of mine...

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Finally, what so many fans have wanted for ages, a fan troll in the canon.
Golly, I does enjoy that UU. I wonder, like pretty much everyone else here, who her brother is. Is it Ms. Paint? No... Is it Secret Wizard? No! Is Henry, the mild mannered janitor?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure I would say Dave was a "slave" to Time, however.

He totally was. He had to make sure all those time loops played out the way they were supposed to, any deviation would just result in dead Daves.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure I would say Dave was a "slave" to Time, however.

GC: BUT F1RST, 4R3 YOU SO SUR3 TH1S 1S TH3 SOURC3 OF YOUR H3S1T4T1ON, D4V3?
GC: K33P1NG TR4CK OF T3MPOR4L LOG1ST1CS?
TG: why wouldnt i be concerned about that
TG: if we make mistakes then dead daves start piling up
TG: and dead daves are the enemy remember

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Dave really is the most tragic character in the comic.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I want to live out the rest of my life blissfully unaware that somewhere out there, somebody has written an erotic fanfic about UU writing erotic fanfiction. Then I look at the Homestuck fandom, and my hopes are dashed.

I kind of like the thought that Dirk's role as Prince of Heart is to sink every ship, though. The coolest guy around happens to be a walking romantic apocalypse.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Thundarr posted:

The coolest guy around happens to be a walking romantic apocalypse.

A romantic apocalypse to which EVERYONE'S INVITED!

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

I'm a sucker for cute things, so I decided to try my hand at making some Homestuck plushies. I started with an Aradia grub, and I think she came out pretty well! (There's some more pictures on my tumblr).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
At this point I'm really hoping for Karkat or the other trolls to enter the new session and start harassing UU because of how nice she is and all of the references to troll society she drops. It's be awesome just to see if UU can keep her cool under Karkat being a huge jackass to her or UU be amazed that there were other trolls before hers came into being.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I'm a sucker for cute things, so I decided to try my hand at making some Homestuck plushies. I started with an Aradia grub, and I think she came out pretty well! (There's some more pictures on my tumblr).

Oh my god that is amazing...ly creepy. but no serious that's awesome. How do you even DO something like that? Good jorb.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Someone pointed out to me that if UU is the fandom/fantroll, the name/quirk can represent "You". Interesting touch if that is the case.

Also something I don't remember if I've read here or not, but I heard my friend today call Autoresponder "Shades Prick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Jewel posted:

Someone pointed out to me that if UU is the fandom/fantroll, the name/quirk can represent "You". Interesting touch if that is the case.

Also something I don't remember if I've read here or not, but I heard my friend today call Autoresponder "Shades Prick".

Does your friend look at skaianet? They're using it as an image tag now.