Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Goddamn bighead, you got the COTB thread locked.

edit: Son of bitch, I had the most posts in that thread. I'm not sure if I should be proud of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Dallan Invictus posted:

Really, nice job, but bragging in a thread full of people at least as smart as you is prone to backfiring. I'm sure there's someone here who blew both of us out of the water with similar ease.

(and they still don't have a job. Don't go.)

Ouch. Pretty sure the only bragging I was doing was of the "life is so easy north of the border" variety, but my bad if that came off douchey.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce
Question for the prosecutors in the house: I assume that over time you build working relationships with defence counsel, and have a decent feel for who is reasonable and who isn't.

If a historically reasonable defence counsel ends up taking a hyper-aggresive position because their client instructs them to, do you hold it against the lawyer? Or just shrug it off as clients being clients?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Schitzo posted:

Question for the prosecutors in the house: I assume that over time you build working relationships with defence counsel, and have a decent feel for who is reasonable and who isn't.

If a historically reasonable defence counsel ends up taking a hyper-aggresive position because their client instructs them to, do you hold it against the lawyer? Or just shrug it off as clients being clients?

Client being client, usually, depends on history w lawyer and how underhanded the tactics used are.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My wife took our 4-month-old son out of town to visit friends a few weeks ago - she was gone for Thursday night and Friday night. I was really excited because it meant I could stay at the office as long as I wanted - I think I went home around 9 pm or so both nights, after getting in around 8am. I probably could have stayed later but I felt like going home and getting my video games on.

Apparently she is going to go to Miami with our son for an entire week in March. I am thrilled at the possibility of an entire week where I can work as many hours as I want.

I love my family, but billing insane hours is delicious.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Question: got wind of this nbd 10 hour a week thingy to do on the side, but it wants a legal writing sample shorter than any that I have. Should I shoot the guy an e-mail or just...I don't know, will my other samples to be less pages?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solid Lizzie posted:

Question: got wind of this nbd 10 hour a week thingy to do on the side, but it wants a legal writing sample shorter than any that I have. Should I shoot the guy an e-mail or just...I don't know, will my other samples to be less pages?

Why can't you edit down one of your samples, or do an excerpt with a cover page summarizing the left out parts?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

All your writing samples are 90% worthless filler, just delete all that.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

entris posted:

Why can't you edit down one of your samples, or do an excerpt with a cover page summarizing the left out parts?
I'm more than willing to do this. I 've just never had the issue before and wasn't sure what the typical route is in this case. Editing down will be difficult given the difference in pages but I can do the latter.

Thank you.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

I usually just took something out and indicated that with elipses.

I then did a cover page stating that this sample contained, for example, three issues and I cut out two of them which dealt with x and y. Alternately, you could take the fact section out and put that in a cover page with a brief paragraph of what it was about.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465485

Well, that is certainly something. :stare:

beeradvocate
Dec 24, 2010
Well, anyone have any advice on finding out if you've been blacklisted somehow? I don't think they have any references for me, but I got a rejection. One of several. This last one was for a position where I was told several times that they reaaaallly needed people, so something clearly went wrong.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

beeradvocate posted:

Well, anyone have any advice on finding out if you've been blacklisted somehow? I don't think they have any references for me, but I got a rejection. One of several. This last one was for a position where I was told several times that they reaaaallly needed people, so something clearly went wrong.

What did you do to make you think that you've been blacklisted?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

beeradvocate posted:

Are you in Miami?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

beeradvocate posted:

Ask your friend who works at the company?

Could it just be bad economy for lawyers, especially those who graduated at the bottom of their tier 3 law school class?

Maybe they reaaaallly needed 2 people, got 12 resumes and at least 2 were better than you?

What is it that leads you to think you've been blacklisted?

beeradvocate
Dec 24, 2010

joat mon posted:

Ask your friend who works at the company?

Could it just be bad economy for lawyers, especially those who graduated at the bottom of their tier 3 law school class?

Maybe they reaaaallly needed 2 people, got 12 resumes and at least 2 were better than you?

What is it that leads you to think you've been blacklisted?

The fact that the company hired forty-two people over the course of a month and a half, then was bragging about needing a new location to house all the new employees and contractors they were planning on bringing in, plus the suggestion that they'd let me know right away immediately after the interview?
I know it's a bad economy, and to be expected, but after a while one becomes paranoid.

And Entris, I'm not in Miami at all, I'm in Cleveland. Why do you ask?

beeradvocate fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 10, 2012

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

beeradvocate posted:

And Entris, I'm not in Miami at all, I'm in Cleveland.

swooosh

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finished a p interesting mob action case. Defendant was shot and killed after the initial hearing. Still counts as a dispo.

Schitzo posted:

There's a definite sense of who is reasonable and who isn't, and people talk to each other about defence attorneys. I don't think anyone holds it against the defence attorney if the client is making them do it, as long as the argument isn't completely meritless and the attorney isn't a dick about it. On another note, it's nice when defence attorneys come up and have a friendly discussion about how the case may play out.

As an example, one incident that annoyed people was a case where we were trying to figure out the background of a defendant in court. The defence attorney said he hadn't represented the defendant before, and didn't know the answer. As the search progressed, the defence attorney admitted his firm had represented the defendant, but not him. Then we learnt it was him who represented the client and, welp, he just happened to know the answer to the question we had wasted our time looking up.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2012

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

beeradvocate posted:

The fact that the company hired forty-two people over the course of a month and a half, then was bragging about needing a new location to house all the new employees and contractors they were planning on bringing in, plus the suggestion that they'd let me know right away immediately after the interview?
I know it's a bad economy, and to be expected, but after a while one becomes paranoid.

And Entris, I'm not in Miami at all, I'm in Cleveland.
Maybe you missed some amusing pop culture during the interview and they decided they couldn't possibly work with you?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Why the gently caress can't partners use "track changes" on their loving computers?

YOUR CHICKEN SCRATCH NOTES ON MY GOD drat MOTION MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ME.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
For anyone considering going for publications as a student, let me caution you that while it's a neat thing to do it is a tremendous pain in the rear end when it comes to the editing process. I feel like I'm taking 18 credits this semester.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

For anyone considering going for publications as a student....
Tell me more about everything.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

sigmachiev posted:

For anyone considering going for publications as a student, let me caution you that while it's a neat thing to do it is a tremendous pain in the rear end when it comes to the editing process. I feel like I'm taking 18 credits this semester.

Win a baller writing contest, collect 4 g's, don't edit poo poo, then just fukkin coast...

not a humblebrag just a straight up brag

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
FAMILY LAW IS FULL OF HOT CHICKS attractive women.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

FAMILY LAW IS FULL OF crazy HOT CHICKS attractive women.

I met a client of a family law attorney that I know, this girl was a dead ringer for scarlett johansen. Amazing.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Green Crayons posted:

Tell me more about everything.

Some thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Do it with a prof who is going to be hands-on. I suggest independent study over a seminar for this reason, but it depends. If seminar, shoot for over the (likely) 30 page requirement. Explain to prof you have desire to seek publication as the reason you're going over. I've noticed a trend in journals accepting shorter works (40-50ish) as opposed to the more standard 50-70. But again this depends. If it's awesome at 40 and too bulky at 60, submit it at 40. And if no acceptances come you can always tinker and resubmit when it's better.

2. Before papering the universe, set up an Express0 account. Next, and this is important, go to your Dean of Students or whoever and ask if they will pay Express0 fees. A lot of schools do this. It may require professor approval. This will save you a lot of money. I saved a little over a hundred.

3. Paper the universe by sending to every relevant journal. For example, if you write an article about Citizens United fallout, send it to every flagship journal, every business law journal and every con law journal so long as it accepts student submissions. There will be a note on Express0 about which journals do or do not allow for student work.

4. Be prepared for a lot of silence, which means rejection, and to not get accepted at anywhere cool. The point at this stage of your career is to get a bluebook cite. Building a CV as a student will help with chances at more reputable journals when you submit future work or so I'm told (and hope).

5. If you get it accepted, ask what the timetable for publication is. This will let you tailor your schedule a bit well in advance. This way you won't be like me, take 16 credits (already too much because I'm a moron) and basically have to totally ignore a lot of other work right now.

6. Be sure you want it out there. If you ever did enter the professor meat market or use it for applying for a PhD, folks will track it down and use it in evaluations. Even if it isn't used as your job talk paper it's still a thing that exists alongside you the rest of your career. Your job talk paper is far more important but the point still stands.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 10, 2012

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

6. Be sure you want it out there. If you ever did enter the professor meat market or use it for applying for a PhD, folks will track it down and use it in evaluations. Even if it isn't used as your job talk paper it's still a thing that exists alongside you the rest of your career. Your job talk paper is far more important but the point still stands.

Related to this: if you work in anything remotely political, realize it WILL get looked at and brought up. Probably not a big deal if you wrote about an esoteric point in admin law, but potentially a huge problem for more controversial topics.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

HiddenReplaced posted:

Why the gently caress can't partners use "track changes" on their loving computers?

It's way easier to do a hand markup than track changes, especially if you're going to be printing things out to read in the first place (which you will if they're long documents).

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On the subject of "things you don't think will happen to your client but they do":

We had a client who was going to Haiti for some mission work for a week in February. This client was also the executor of an estate, and the estate held a house as one of its assets. The executor was going to put the house on the market for sale, but was very concerned that she would receive an offer during the week that she would be in Haiti, so she came to us and asked us to draft a limited power of attorney that gave a friend of hers the power to accept any offers on the house. This power of attorney would only be in force for one week.

When I got this assignment, I thought it was rediculous for several reasons: 1. In this market, who puts up a house and manages to sell it within a few weeks? 2. Even if an offer came in, the closing wouldn't take place until at least a few weeks later, so there would be plenty of time to get back from the mission work. 3. She could always verbally accept by phone.

So anyway I drafted the power of attorney document, and wouldn't you know it, but an offer comes in during the week the client is in Haiti.

What the hell.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Ani posted:

It's way easier to do a hand markup than track changes, especially if you're going to be printing things out to read in the first place (which you will if they're long documents).

The most ridiculous part of your reply is where you suggest that the partners are going to actually print out things on their own.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

HiddenReplaced posted:

The most ridiculous part of your reply is where you suggest that the partners are going to actually print out things on their own.
If you're going to have things printed out for you, I should have said, though for a short document, if you have a printer in your office, it's easier to print it yourself than to have your secretary do it.

It really is easier doing a hand markup; when I'm marking things up, I prefer to do it also. If you're fixing commas it is about the same, but if you want to say that a sentence or paragraph isn't very clear, it's easier to circle and write "reword" or something.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
My boss will call us into his office and tell us the changes he wants, because no one can read his writing.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Some thoughts off the top of my head:
Thanks for this; it's definitely helpful.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Ani posted:

It really is easier doing a hand markup; when I'm marking things up, I prefer to do it also. If you're fixing commas it is about the same, but if you want to say that a sentence or paragraph isn't very clear, it's easier to circle and write "reword" or something.

The thing I've never understood, if your going over the document, why not just add the loving commas yourself (not you directly). I understand handing it back to the associate if something needs rewording but I don't get handing a document back to an associate for minor punctuation or formatting changes.

The only rational I can find is that the normal process is more inefficient thus producing more billables.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Good news: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 10, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

The thing I've never understood, if your going over the document, why not just add the loving commas yourself (not you directly). I understand handing it back to the associate if something needs rewording but I don't get handing a document back to an associate for minor punctuation or formatting changes.

The only rational I can find is that the normal process is more inefficient thus producing more billables.

I think the idea is to point out errors so they don't happen again.

Civil law would have a heart attack regarding criminal motions. I'm a fairly good motion writer (I've been told this by a number of people who had no reason to kiss my rear end), but poo poo, perfect? Enemy of good and getting done in time to go through my other 100 cases.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Because you want to hammer home the lesson to the associate: don't gently caress up minor punctuation or formatting.

entris fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 10, 2012

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

hahaha yesssss
I got a brief back yesterday with a total of two comments, both handwritten

one was "sea." and the other was "!"

I'm planning on responding by fedexing the guy my poop

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

Your time either means pure profit to them, or nothing. Their time, eh. Plus given the disparity between your billing rate and theirs, if it saves them half an hour and costs you an hour and a half, its the right thing to do for the client!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Soothing Vapors posted:

hahaha yesssss
I got a brief back yesterday with a total of two comments, both handwritten

one was "sea." and the other was "!"

I'm planning on responding by fedexing the guy my poop

Star?