Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Dominion posted:

So I have an old (as in octagonal blue-flip-top old) pot of GW "Chestnut Wash". Is this the same as the old Chestnut Ink or is it even a different thing?

Im pretty sure its just chestnut ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PaintVagrant posted:

And yeah basically everyone should post model pics 24/7, lets break the internet with our bandwidth abusing

I don't have much new stuff but here's shots of my Haqqislam forces so far, a couple of WIP ghulam shots, and a.. something.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
With all the love for Reaper paints, here's a good a place as any to mention I just finished securing Reaper Miniatures as a prize sponsor for next years Oath thread. Another small spoiler: We'll be opening the contest to pretty much all lines of miniatures, so time to dust off those Infinity, Malifaux, etc. sets you've been meaning to take care of!

edit: VVVV At the moment I have my hands on a big cash gift certificate that I can buy stuff with, divide into smaller gift certificates, or cause a single goon's head to explode by giving it away as is. Discussing some options with one of my judges, but odds are it'll be gift certificate prizes in the end. That way people can get paints, minis or bits as they like! Reaper offered me even more 'once I go through that' but they can only give away so much at once. While I'm tempted to ask for more later, I don't want to kill a generous sponsor off the bat. Whoever takes over after me will likely be able to get -much- more.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 10, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thiswayliesmadness posted:

With all the love for Reaper paints, here's a good a place as any to mention I just finished securing Reaper Miniatures as a prize sponsor for next years Oath thread. Another small spoiler: We'll be opening the contest to pretty much all lines of miniatures, so time to dust off those Infinity, Malifaux, etc. sets you've been meaning to take care of!

Whoa, awesome. Are they supplying paints or minis or what?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have any tips for making bases/terrain that looks like it's had a recent rainstorm? Like, not "raining right now, let's jump in puddles while shooting dudes!" but "Great, it rained two days ago but it's still muddy as poo poo."

Here's (a lovely photo of) where I'm at right now:

There's some rocks in there that need picked out to break up all the brown, but since the dirt itself is so dark, I'd I like to try and make it look like a muddy foxhole.

Is it just a matter of adding some water effect puddles after a coat of varnish at this point?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

edit: VVVV At the moment I have my hands on a big cash gift certificate that I can buy stuff with, divide into smaller gift certificates, or cause a single goon's head to explode by giving it away as is. Discussing some options with one of my judges, but odds are it'll be gift certificate prizes in the end. That way people can get paints, minis or bits as they like! Reaper offered me even more 'once I go through that' but they can only give away so much at once. While I'm tempted to ask for more later, I don't want to kill a generous sponsor off the bat. Whoever takes over after me will likely be able to get -much- more.

This is amazing. Good initiative securing something like this for the kind goons on here. How'd you manage this? If you don't mind me asking/are able to say.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Not a viking posted:

Ugh. Fine!

Wanted to base coat my destroyer today, but I wasn't able to finish modelling it, so I finished these guys instead.

These guys are cool (I am totally gay for your chaos dwarves :swoon:).

This is genuinely great. Nice work!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 10, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

This is fantastic and I think you should get as many gift certs as possible, screw the next guy. Having great prize support will make the thread more popular right now and grow it, we can worry about future prize support in the future. Growing the thread's base and the contest will make it easier to get other sponsors the year after anyway.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

If you thought the gift certificates we're awesome, you should see what they're debating offering as (their own words) "a Grand grand prize". You guys will flip your poo poo and goons will start painting their pets just to participate.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nice get, buddy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's pretty drat sweet. I've never participated in an oath before. What sort of stuff is allowed? I don't 'ham or anything so painting armies of matching space mans isn't really my thing, but I bet I'd like to participate.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

That's pretty drat sweet. I've never participated in an oath before. What sort of stuff is allowed? I don't 'ham or anything so painting armies of matching space mans isn't really my thing, but I bet I'd like to participate.

In previous years it was all warhammer stuff but apparently this year it will be opened up to other systems. So basically whatever you want.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If you want to paint a bunch of epic minis, a bust of Darth Maul, your motorized WWII Tiger tank, or anime magic girls we'll find a spot for you. Pretty much anything goes!

Just expect somethings to be harder to do the monthly theme with than others.

Edit: And before I make another post about the contest, I'm accepting donations for the goblin grab bag if anyone wants to contribute. Since we're widening the categories, almost any mini can be donated (just please don't use it as a dumping ground for wrecked stuff). Either send me a PM or email me at the_modern_knight at hot mail dot com

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 10, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That sounds like some pretty sweet kool-aid which I would like to drink.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

If you want to paint a bunch of epic minis, a bust of Darth Maul, your motorized WWII Tiger tank, or anime magic girls we'll find a spot for you. Pretty much anything goes!

Just expect somethings to be harder to do the monthly theme with than others.

Edit: And before I make another post about the contest, I'm accepting donations for the goblin grab bag if anyone wants to contribute. Since we're widening the categories, almost any mini can be donated (just please don't use it as a dumping ground for wrecked stuff). Either send me a PM or email me at the_modern_knight at hot mail dot com

I mailed my donations today!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So for this battalion challenge I'm taking part in I have to convert a general for my army using only pieces from the box and also representing any magic items they might have. This is my attempt at a Slaughtermaster with Hellheart and Greedy Fist! The apron is made from a modified Ogre banner, while the Hellheart is a spare section of arm with a bit of green stuff to tidy up. I added the chef's hat and massive cheeks and double chin just to give him some more character.

Also it's hard to make out in this photo but I painted the veins on the heart in a deep purple. The only bit I want to work on some more is the shading on the apron's overhang but it's past 3am and I can't be bothered right now.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Bavius posted:

F that noise, call up GW and demand a replacement. Then, once you get another, demand they replace that. Repeat until you have a model.

Took your advice. Called GW, they sent a new one. Hope it's not absolute poo poo this time.

Hixson fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 10, 2012

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Blasted out a Shepherd today, static grass obviously going on post-sealant.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My most recent painting:

Mantis Warriors Rhino I painted for a broham. In total I'll be doing ~12 Rhino chassis vehicles for him. He's doing the MW logo with a custom decal, to be added to the side hatch.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fyrbrand posted:

My most recent painting:

Mantis Warriors Rhino I painted for a broham. In total I'll be doing ~12 Rhino chassis vehicles for him. He's doing the MW logo with a custom decal, to be added to the side hatch.

I would say this looks great but, dude, gently caress the mantis warriors!

see avatar

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I kept wanting to join in the oath thread but I kept getting confused. If when it says like, paint x for this month, would people mind me saying I have XXXXXXX which of these is suitable? I don't actually play any games I just paint so when someone says a warcaster or HQ I just try and find the most pointy model or the angriest looking one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Does this mean a new general oath thread? Screw winning, I just want some motivation to paint my Descent minis!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 10, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im excited about an all-inclusive oath thread.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

I kept wanting to join in the oath thread but I kept getting confused. If when it says like, paint x for this month, would people mind me saying I have XXXXXXX which of these is suitable? I don't actually play any games I just paint so when someone says a warcaster or HQ I just try and find the most pointy model or the angriest looking one.

Well, in the past it was a warhammer only thread but the new one will be open to any minis so I assume that means the whole structure with the force org stuff will be changing.

That said, if you want to have a few options and ask the thread what to oath I am sure no one would have a problem with that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
All will be made clear in the new OP that Thiswayliesmadness is working on; if you're still unsure, feel free to ask the judges if your piece is a valid oath (it probably will be).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

When does the new one start?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PaintVagrant posted:

Seconding this, I think that's what we all really want to know.

And while we wait: it sounded like there's a month-by-month assignment or something? I literally know nothing. What happens if I can't participate for a month or two? That okay? I'm moving in June and will definitely not be nerding for a little while.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

edit: /\/\/\ Missing out on a month or two is perfectly fine. You might not have enough points to go for some end year prizes, but I'm working on monthly and special prizes you could still get. Depends on what I can get for/from sponsors. There might even be something special people can do if they fail their oath... ;)

PaintVagrant posted:

Plan is to start it around the beginning of April. The current Oath Contest ends this month, and there'll be a month hiatus for people to recoup and buy more stuff. More details as things get closer.

Throw out almost everything you know about how the current contest works. The system is being gutted and re-tooled to work better for everyone. We'll find a home for almost anything you want to paint!

Edit 2: I need art help! If anyone would like to help with the contest's art, avatars or whatever, please let me know!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2012

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Seconding this, I think that's what we all really want to know.

And while we wait: it sounded like there's a month-by-month assignment or something? I literally know nothing. What happens if I can't participate for a month or two? That okay? I'm moving in June and will definitely not be nerding for a little while.

The old one worked where each month you could oath something (usually according to a monthly theme like, this month is elites and this month is troops or whatever), and you would get points for showing a WIP pic, finishing on time, or incorporating an Iron Chef style theme ingredient (like, say, freehand designs or lettering or whatever it was that month).

If you skipped a month, all that happened is that you weren't eligible for a prize that month and you didn't accumulate points. You weren't eliminated forever or anything.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

edit: /\/\/\ Missing out on a month or two is perfectly fine. You might not have enough points to go for some end year prizes, but I'm working on monthly and special prizes you could still get. Depends on what I can get for/from sponsors. There might even be something special people can do if they fail their oath... ;)

Plan is to start it around the beginning of April. The current Oath Contest ends this month, and there'll be a month hiatus for people to recoup and buy more stuff. More details as things get closer.

Throw out almost everything you know about how the current contest works. The system is being gutted and re-tooled to work better for everyone. We'll find a home for almost anything you want to paint!

Edit 2: I need art help! If anyone would like to help with the contest's art, avatars or whatever, please let me know!

Cool. I should be free for judging and whatnot this time around. I can also help write the rules or monthly "requirements" in regards to what people need to paint for various systems, since I am a game whore and have basically played almost everything at some point. Assuming you need that sort of help, I have no idea what sort of structure you are using

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
So the GW basing kits come with resin bits for decoration. They are very thick chunks of resin. Should I just saw off the bottom centimeter and be damned if it's not even?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm still slowly working on my Vampire Counts. I would love some feedback on them. Especially on how to finish the bases. I'm also considering painting Fleur-de-lis on the shields. I also have to fix the metallics. (sigh)

Click here for an actual size where you can sorta see my highlights!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beerdeer posted:

So the GW basing kits come with resin bits for decoration. They are very thick chunks of resin. Should I just saw off the bottom centimeter and be damned if it's not even?

You can sand the bottom if you're concerned about having a better surface contact for glue.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Nowhere near me sells the humbrol maskol I've seen modellers using. Is normal artists masking fluid pretty much the same thing? I want to do some weathering with it.

I'm using the upcoming new oath thread as an excuse to buy everything :D

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

Nowhere near me sells the humbrol maskol I've seen modellers using. Is normal artists masking fluid pretty much the same thing? I want to do some weathering with it.

I'm using the upcoming new oath thread as an excuse to buy everything :D

Vallejo makes some too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fyrbrand posted:

JEEZ don't you people knock?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alternatively: "Mom, get out of here!"

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
GW's flickr pool is amazing.

Look at this poo poo right here. This dude is a dude who has no fucks to give, whatsoever. He took that poo poo and RAN with it. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Oh my god it doesn't stop.

This one is labeled 'Tyrannosaurs Dreadnought'.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
He even incorporated the John Blanche Fist In The Air.

• Locked thread