Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

Wait, what do you recommend instead of Transmission?
Transmission isn't really in the same category of some of those other programs since it's at least still updated, but a lot of people have moved on to uTorrent. Transmission left a sour taste in a lot of folks' mouths after some versions of it got banned from trackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

yaoi prophet posted:

I think utorrent is the standard now.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Does utorrent have a web portal that you can access remotely? I remember when I looked at it last time, this was the biggest deal breaker.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Does utorrent have a web portal that you can access remotely? I remember when I looked at it last time, this was the biggest deal breaker.
Yeah there are a couple different options to do it now:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had not even heard of MplayerX. I just used VLC because I know that it's gimmick is 'it plays everything.' I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Transmission left a sour taste in a lot of folks' mouths after some versions of it got banned from trackers.

When and why did this happen? I've never been unable to connect to a tracker using Transmission.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

When and why did this happen? I've never been unable to connect to a tracker using Transmission.
I don't remember the details exactly, I just remember that some private trackers weren't happy with what it was doing and blacklisted until they changed something, and then you could use Transmission version x.xx and greater again.

edit: :google: for "transmission client banned" and you'll find some folks making mention of private trackers not allowing it, apparently because of issues with how it reports stats and the ability to spoof them.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just use MplayerX for everything.

The App Store version (free) or the one on mplayerx.org? Ostensibly they're the same thing..

There's also Mplayer OS X Extended but it hasn't been updated in a year..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The App Store version (free) or the one on mplayerx.org? Ostensibly they're the same thing..
They're the same, though the App Store version usually takes a day or two after the mplayerx.org version to receive updates.

Binary Badger posted:

There's also Mplayer OS X Extended but it hasn't been updated in a year..
Another OS X media player bites the dust.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

I don't remember the details exactly, I just remember that some private trackers weren't happy with what it was doing and blacklisted until they changed something, and then you could use Transmission version x.xx and greater again.

edit: :google: for "transmission client banned" and you'll find some folks making mention of private trackers not allowing it, apparently because of issues with how it reports stats and the ability to spoof them.

Interesting. I've never had a problem with it, and I actually prefer it on OS X to uTorrent. uTorrent is sparingly updated and if there's a way to add an IP blacklist ala Transmission or the Windows version, I've not seen it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

That Transmission getting blacklisted thing happened a few years back. The annoying thing was that after they fixed the issue, it took a while before private trackers started unblocking them.

yaoi prophet posted:

rtorrent on a plug computer at home. With a cronjob set up for flexget (a rss parser), I barely have to lift a finger. I mostly just start up Nativa once a week to see how the torrents are doing, maybe ssh in to edit my flexget config.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

Interesting. I've never had a problem with it, and I actually prefer it on OS X to uTorrent. uTorrent is sparingly updated and if there's a way to add an IP blacklist ala Transmission or the Windows version, I've not seen it.
Use whatever works best for you. I'm simply pointing out that there are OS X users out there who still think Transmission is the only torrent client, MacTheRipper is still the best disc ripping software, etc.

iusethis.com's most used apps can be depressing sometimes.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Transmission is the only torrent client, MacTheRipper is still the best disc ripping software, etc.

Well I feel like a scrub. :( Next you're going to say there's a better option than Stuffit Expander X.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lord funk posted:

Well I feel like a scrub. :( Next you're going to say there's a better option than Stuffit Expander X.
The Unarchiver, keka, etc. Take your pick.

No one's ever looked at the list of useful software in the OP, have they?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excellent, thanks so much for all the help guys :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not "x86"?
:goonsay:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The Unarchiver, keka, etc. Take your pick.

Do they even make Stuffit anymore?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Not "x86"?
:goonsay:

:colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

:colbert:
I could've complained about your choice of font instead :colbert:

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

lord funk posted:

Do they even make Stuffit anymore?

Yes. It's unbelievably bloated and clunky.

Hey, my dad still pays up for the WinZip license he's probably been using since at least Win95. I can only assume the people who still use StuffIt for everything are mostly Mac old-timers who've been using it since the only way to get it was to mail a check to the kid who wrote it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adobe will be the downfall of our society.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
OK, so when I do diskutil list, I do not have a Recovery HD in there. What do I do to recreate it? Do I have to reinstall?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

I could've complained about your choice of font instead :colbert:

My secret shame :(

... will remain secret because my dock is hidden 99% of the time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

vkeios posted:

That Transmission getting blacklisted thing happened a few years back. The annoying thing was that after they fixed the issue, it took a while before private trackers started unblocking them.

rtorrent on a plug computer at home. With a cronjob set up for flexget (a rss parser), I barely have to lift a finger. I mostly just start up Nativa once a week to see how the torrents are doing, maybe ssh in to edit my flexget config.

Holy hell, Nativa looks great. Thanks for this.

I use rtorrent/flexget and as much as I don't mind SSHing in to check status that is a really nice way to do it when I'm at home.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

OK, so when I do diskutil list, I do not have a Recovery HD in there. What do I do to recreate it? Do I have to reinstall?

Yes, but if you reinstall you won't lose anything. OS X installs don't wipe the disk. If you don't have a disc or a thumb drive of Lion, boot into network recovery if you have a recent Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Always back up your important stuff to be safe.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

If you don't want to reinstall, I found these with some quick searching:
http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20110730045914590
http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/creating-a-never-booted-10-7-image-with-included-recovery-hd-partition/

Still back up beforehand of course.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is there a good guide to permissions and terminal commands for changing them?

I helped a friend swap a near-dead HD from her laptop and found that the "dead" drive would mount when placed in a USB enclosure. I was able to grab all the important files off the drive and tossed them in the shared directory of my storage. (A WD My Book Live)

Now, when I try to copy the files over to a portable drive for her, I get errors that I don't have permissions to copy those files. I've no experience with that weirdness, only ever run into write permissions before. And using the permissions pane of the Get Info window gives the same error.

I've googled around and seen some info, but it's terminal stuff which I know exactly zero about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apple has a guide on permissions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bob Morales posted:

Apple has a guide on permissions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

Thank you.
That wasn't, as it turns out, what the problem was! Hah, but that gave me the right terms to start googling and I found (I think) a solution.

Turns out it was an issue with the My Book Live. Copied the files over logged in as guest, which set the owner as "Nobody". Had to learn how to ssh into the drive and chmod the directory in question. We'll see if it worked, it's doing that whole "preparing to copy files" thing.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Do Network Locations have to persist between users? I'd like location changes made with one user to not effect other users on that machine.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Is there a way to get a Share function in the contextual menu that comes up when you right click on something?

I've been getting used to the Share function on my Android that lets me upload to imgur or gmail or dropbox or whatever and I feel like I should be able to control click on a photo and upload it from the desktop.

There's an imgur dashboard widget that supposedly lets you drag from the desktop onto the dashboard widget but I can't figure out how to open dashboard via hotkey anymore. I remember it used to be f12 but now I can't seem to open dashboard unless I three finger swipe, and this doesn't work while I'm trying to drag-drop a photo.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Open up System Preferences, go to Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. You can change the dashboard shortcut under the Mission Control section.

And see the Services section in there too? thats probably your best bet for your other question. Wouldn't be surprised if Dropbox themselves offered a service or something.

Edit: you can always work something out with Automator (I found Imguru here).

vkeios fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 10, 2012

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

That was like six years ago. :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

That was like six years ago. :psyduck:
I found people discussing trackers banning it as recently as 2010, and I believe that's around the time I had issues as well.

Like I said, there's nothing necessarily wrong with using Transmission now, but alternatives exist and its had issues in the past that prompted people to switch.

edit: I wish I'd never even mentioned Transmission.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 11, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I had a problem with adding mp3 in iTunes today, said I didn't have the permission to write on Macintosh HD. I repaired the permissions in Disk Utility, it repaired a couple of thing, but I still had the problem.

I then tried a couple of things before finding the solution was to simply apply my permission to ~/Music/ to enclosed items. (Still don't know why that broke) All is well, but now I'm having problems with some apps. Dropbox is asking me for permissions everytime I log in, and fails to sync. Sparrow will always tell me I have 1 unread email, BootChamp asks my password and then tells me it couldn't change the boot volume to my Windows partition. I tried to uninstall all these using AppCleaner and reinstall, but to no avail...

What can I do to reset my permissions? I have a Time Machine backup but it's not a complete backup so I'd like to fix it as opposed to a restore..

EDIT: Solved my Dropbox issue by creating a new account, installing dropbox, and closing that account. (????)

Same with the BootChamp issue. It seems it's a problem with helpers, like, in my account the apps don't seem to have the permissions to create them or something. How to fix that?

Is there a way to say, give this account the same rights as this other account?

Just found out I can't install anything from the Mac App Store (Unknown Error)

Olivil fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2012

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Having an issue with some streaming video. YouTube videos, ESPN.com, Hulu, etc. all play fine, but when I try to stream some live sports, I run into a problem where the video just stutters non stop. My fans aren't revving up and the processor load doesn't seem terrible, but the video just seems to throw in a few extra frames every second. Audio comes through fine as well. Any ideas?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Olivil posted:

I had a problem with adding mp3 in iTunes today, said I didn't have the permission to write on Macintosh HD. I repaired the permissions in Disk Utility, it repaired a couple of thing, but I still had the problem.

I have the same problem after doing the 10.7.3 combo update. My iTunes library is on a NAS and it won't let me download apps anymore and gives me that error. I tried the apply all contained permissions thing in finder but I don't know if I can use disk utility to repair permissions on a network drive? I will try it out when I get home. Or would doing a chmod -r a+rw on /volumes/media/iTunes also work?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

priznat posted:

I have the same problem after doing the 10.7.3 combo update. My iTunes library is on a NAS and it won't let me download apps anymore and gives me that error. I tried the apply all contained permissions thing in finder but I don't know if I can use disk utility to repair permissions on a network drive? I will try it out when I get home. Or would doing a chmod -r a+rw on /volumes/media/iTunes also work?

Quite sure you can do it on any mounted partition. You could also try diskutil repairpermissions /volumes/media/iTunes but I guess that will do the same as the button in the pretty menu.

As for my problem, backed up what wasn't backed up by my time machine and restoring to yesterday, my account permissions are hosed.

edit: Talking about 10.7.3 annoyances, anybody can fullscreen in VLC 1.2.0rc1? Since the update it's broken.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 12, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Joe Don Baker posted:

I had not even heard of MplayerX. I just used VLC because I know that it's gimmick is 'it plays everything.' I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

VLC plays some things better, MPlayerX plays others better. I keep both around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Olivil posted:

Disk Utility actually doesn't touch your home folder permissions. For those, you need to boot off your Recovery partition (assuming you're using Lion), go to Utilities > Terminal, type 'resetpassword' and in the window that appears you can choose your user account and hit 'Reset'.

If you're using Snow Leopard you'll need the install disc.