Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
To be honest, I've found that not bothering to look at the question and continually hitting one button until you've got the answer works wonders for completely negating the helpfulness of the captcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

lessthankyle posted:

To be honest, I've found that not bothering to look at the question and continually hitting one button until you've got the answer works wonders for completely negating the helpfulness of the captcha.

well great, now you've made it even harder to get up in the morning if i can just cheat the system. THANKS A LOT BUDDY

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I'm the same way with Gentle Alarm. The math is just x*y+a*b. They make me solve 2, but it's the same formula. Is there any way to make these a bit harder?

You can increase the difficulty to two digit numbers, increase the number of equations you have to solve(up to 5), and decrease the time limit, but it's always that formula.

e: And there's that "remember the path"-puzzle, but that's even easier

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.dellvoice.ca/

This seems to be new to Canada only and will let you make calls over wifi instead of using your plan's minutes. Been playing with it tonight and it doesn't seem too bad.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

gariig posted:

Playing with the stock AOSP Contacts app you can't do this. You can hide/show groups but it's buried under 3-4 button presses. I don't see a way to browse contacts by groups/circles like you can in the GMail contacs. That's fine with me but I probably have only 100 contacts on my phone and only use a dozen that are my favorites. Maybe Go Contacts EX or another contact replacement would work?
Thanks for this. I'll download and install it and see if she likes it.

Is there a mototorch like app for the galaxy nexus?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Tamba posted:

You can increase the difficulty to two digit numbers, increase the number of equations you have to solve(up to 5), and decrease the time limit, but it's always that formula.

e: And there's that "remember the path"-puzzle, but that's even easier

You people should try going to bed earlier.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Camera button wanting guys, have you considered app sliders with Widget Locker? In addition to normal unlock, I have a camera slider and a Shazam slider set up, which unlock the phone directly to the respective apps.

I have thought of buying Widgetlocker but before that, I have questions about it.

Can you put widgets behind sliders? I thought of having the Grooveshark widget on my lock screen but then it would suck if I accidentally turn on the screen in my pocket and then the play button gets accidentally pressed. The purpose a lock screen is to prevent exactly that from happening. A slider that reveals the widget would make it better.

Can you have a security lock (draw pattern to unlock) on the widgetlocker lock screen? My idea was to have the security lock and the grooveshark widget on my lock screen so people can interact with music but nothing else on the phone.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I keep getting a notification on my phone that storage space is getting low. It's not though... Why is this popping up (won't go away)?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
How big is your Contacts app?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How big is your Contacts app?

Contacts - 524KB
Contacts Storage - 1.16MB

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Undead Zombie posted:

I have thought of buying Widgetlocker but before that, I have questions about it.

Can you put widgets behind sliders? I thought of having the Grooveshark widget on my lock screen but then it would suck if I accidentally turn on the screen in my pocket and then the play button gets accidentally pressed. The purpose a lock screen is to prevent exactly that from happening. A slider that reveals the widget would make it better.

Can you have a security lock (draw pattern to unlock) on the widgetlocker lock screen? My idea was to have the security lock and the grooveshark widget on my lock screen so people can interact with music but nothing else on the phone.

I don't think so. You'd have to just put the widget on a home screen and unlock to that if you're worried about it. I have a google music widget on my lock screen though and I haven't had any issue with pressing it accidentally in my pocket.

You can use the pattern lock with Widgetlocker, but it works the same way it does with the lockscreen: once you unlock the phone using the slider, you have to input the pin or pattern. As far as I know, there's no way to put the pin input on the lockscreen itself.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

IT Guy posted:

Contacts - 524KB
Contacts Storage - 1.16MB

What phone do you have? Older phones have a limited app data partition and so it fills up quickly after you install a lot of apps. The HTC Incredible has an ext4 mod that increases the partition size and its easy to flash, I don't know about what phone you're using.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

az jan jananam posted:

What phone do you have? Older phones have a limited app data partition and so it fills up quickly after you install a lot of apps. The HTC Incredible has an ext4 mod that increases the partition size and its easy to flash, I don't know about what phone you're using.

Well it shows his data partition as around 2gb and having plenty of free space in his picture.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

az jan jananam posted:

Galaxy S Captivate

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

IT Guy posted:

Galaxy S Captivate

I don't know what the datadata partition is on that so either you'll have to clear out the cache from a lot of your apps, delete some apps, find a way to move the app data to your SD Card, or find a way to expand the partition. NotEnoughSpace can analyze your partition and figure out what's taking up space and then move app data to the SD card with various degrees of success.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Jesus Christ
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/10/google_wallet_again/

You can just clear the data for the Google Wallet application and the next time you start it up, you get asked for a PIN. The card details stay in the secure element, so they're still there after you clear the data.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Jesus Christ

You can just clear the data for the Google Wallet application and the next time you start it up, you get asked for a PIN. The card details stay in the secure element, so they're still there after you clear the data.

I love the URL.

Google Wallet. Again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Jesus Christ

I was wondering about this. I reset my Nexus S 4G back to factory and when I fired up Google Wallet, all it did was ask to make a new PIN and I was in without any problems.

I wonder how they can fix this, if they can. Then again, I don't think people will make too big of a deal since you have to actually have your phone taken first (though that does happen and could happen more if people realize which phones officially have Google Wallet).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IT Guy posted:

Galaxy S Captivate

If I had to venture a guess the Captivate probably has a dedicated partition for apps that doesn't really get reported correctly to Android. Try shoving all those big apps to the external SD and see if that helps.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder how they can fix this, if they can. Then again, I don't think people will make too big of a deal since you have to actually have your phone taken first (though that does happen and could happen more if people realize which phones officially have Google Wallet).

Yes it's only a problem if someone physically has control of your device and can bypass your lockscreen. The fix is to maintain the pin/password on a secure server remotely (with your bank). This fix will likely be a huge pain in the rear end to implement and to use once done. Personally I prefer to just have some security on my device and a number to call/way to wipe my device remotely if it goes missing.

edit: though I guess a better solution would be once Google Wallet data is cleared the SE should be cleared as well.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 10, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If I had to venture a guess the Captivate probably has a dedicated partition for apps that doesn't really get reported correctly to Android. Try shoving all those big apps to the external SD and see if that helps.

I started moving some apps to SD and the notification went away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I posted a day or so ago about sound systems. Now this is leaked:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/google-building-home-entertainment-system-for-wireless-music-streaming.ars

Damnit, I wanted something in the next few months, but now I am tempted to "suffer" waiting for this. Realy white people problems right here.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Glimm posted:

edit: though I guess a better solution would be once Google Wallet data is cleared the SE should be cleared as well.

Really, though, why wasn't that the case to begin with? "wipe data" should mean "wipe data," and if it doesn't actually wipe data, well, that's an important thing to tell your customers. I know on the google wallet FAQ they mention google wallet doesn't directly access the secure area, but surely there's some method of modifying the data there, and so erasing it. Seems like a silly oversight, if not a dire one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do you check the /system folder size using EStrong's File Manager? I know there's a way to do it on a non-rooted device as I've done it before but I forgot how.

Was this changed in more recent versions?

Glimm posted:

Yes it's only a problem if someone physically has control of your device and can bypass your lockscreen. The fix is to maintain the pin/password on a secure server remotely (with your bank). This fix will likely be a huge pain in the rear end to implement and to use once done. Personally I prefer to just have some security on my device and a number to call/way to wipe my device remotely if it goes missing.

That does sound like a big hassle. I'm pretty sure my bank wouldn't even know how to do any of this as their idea of a smartphone app to access your bank account is to spam your phone with SMS every time you get at least $0.01 deposited or withdrawn...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

So I posted a day or so ago about sound systems. Now this is leaked:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/02/google-building-home-entertainment-system-for-wireless-music-streaming.ars

Damnit, I wanted something in the next few months, but now I am tempted to "suffer" waiting for this. Realy white people problems right here.

Don't wait for that, the story only says they're building it - if it comes to market, it won't be for at least a year. And can anyone name a Google product that was worth buying on initial release? Much as I love them, they seem to rush a lot of stuff out of the gate before it's really mature.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Anyone use this yet: Paperkarma

You take pictures of your junk mail and it tries to unsubscribe from you. I don't have junk mail to try it with aside from weekly local ads, but it seems that it works.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Sounds awesome. I've been getting camel ads in the mailbox 15 years and 4 moves since I stopped smoking them. Let's see what happens there.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Manky posted:

Don't wait for that, the story only says they're building it - if it comes to market, it won't be for at least a year. And can anyone name a Google product that was worth buying on initial release? Much as I love them, they seem to rush a lot of stuff out of the gate before it's really mature.

FWIW the original source says they've been working on it for "years", and the "Project Tungsten" prototype devices they demo'd last year at I/O 2011 seem to be strongly related, if not the same device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD3Q4kJhD5w&t=375s

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good Twitter app? I think the official Twitter app is causing random wakelocks for no reason and when I reset my device, it all went away. I'm not sure if it's Google+, Facebook, or Twitter but it's really seeming that it's Twitter at the moment.

If there isn't a decent replacement for the offical Twitter app, is there a way I could set it up to lower the chance of wakelocks on my Nexus S 4G? If there's a way I should set up the Google+ and Facebook apps, that would help too.

I've tried Twicca so far and it feels too unfinished for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
People seem to like Plume a lot.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

hooah posted:

People seem to like Plume a lot.
Yeah, I like Plume and I've been using it for a long, long time now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll give Plume a shot. Thanks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've grown tired of the terrible calendar widget that comes with GO Launcher EX, and in general I'm pretty underwhelmed by the stock calendar on Gingerbread. I'm looking for something with a widget that does a month-grid thing and some way to set appointments with alarms that actually get my attention rather than maybe beep once. Also, and this is the tricky part, I need one that will let me ignore my Facebook friend's birthdays.

The default calendar and the TW Launcher month widget do the birthday and widget bit, but I can't get the widget in GO Launcher, and as I said, the default calendar's reminders/alerts are worthless.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Inspector_71 posted:

I've grown tired of the terrible calendar widget that comes with GO Launcher EX, and in general I'm pretty underwhelmed by the stock calendar on Gingerbread. I'm looking for something with a widget that does a month-grid thing and some way to set appointments with alarms that actually get my attention rather than maybe beep once. Also, and this is the tricky part, I need one that will let me ignore my Facebook friend's birthdays.

The default calendar and the TW Launcher month widget do the birthday and widget bit, but I can't get the widget in GO Launcher, and as I said, the default calendar's reminders/alerts are worthless.

Except for a small issue with the default length (which I think is an Android setting), I've been pretty happy with Android Widgets Pro.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hooah posted:

Except for a small issue with the default length (which I think is an Android setting), I've been pretty happy with Android Widgets Pro.

That widget looks like what I'm looking for, I'll have to play with the settings tonight. Thanks.

EDIT: Yeah, this will do for the widget, need to figure out how to get my drat phone to actually notify me when things happen.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 11, 2012

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

datajosh posted:

Yeah, I like Plume and I've been using it for a long, long time now.

I've asked this a couple of times in the past few pages of this thread but since I haven't gotten an answer. Do you know if there's a way to create more than the stock 4 columns in Plume? That's the only reason I'm sticking with Tweet Deck for the time being. There are a couple of hashtags I read regularly and don't want to have to search each time I want to see what's going on.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

highme posted:

I've asked this a couple of times in the past few pages of this thread but since I haven't gotten an answer. Do you know if there's a way to create more than the stock 4 columns in Plume? That's the only reason I'm sticking with Tweet Deck for the time being. There are a couple of hashtags I read regularly and don't want to have to search each time I want to see what's going on.

If there is a way, I haven't figured it out yet. This is the only reason why I still have tweetdeck installed too. But I mostly just use Plume and check Tweetdeck occasionally for a couple of saved searches.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Inspector_71 posted:

need to figure out how to get my drat phone to actually notify me when things happen.

Is it not working at all or are you looking for something that goes off every X minutes until you dismiss it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't have a 2.3.7 device to check, but can't you set as many reminders as you'd like per-event on the stock calendar? You could also use Lightflow to enable a persistant repeating notification tone for the Calendar event (along with a constant LED if your device supports such magic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is it not working at all or are you looking for something that goes off every X minutes until you dismiss it?

I don't know about him, but that's what I need. I constantly get meeting requests due to calendar events, but I sometimes don't feel/hear it in my pocket. At that point it defeats the purpose of me having the damned thing on my phone if it isn't going to bug me until I shut it off.

I'm using the default calendar that comes with the phone, and it just does a tiny vibrate and a notification. I want it to play alarms for up to five minutes or something.

I just grabbed Business Calendar, but all it is is just a reskinning of my actual Calender. Is there a way to replace how the calendar notifies the user?

• Locked thread