Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was bored and remembered someone linked me to a CPS2 soundfont a while ago.

Insomnia and no internet is a very dangerous combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Nate RFB posted:

No worries, take your time. It's not going anywhere, no need to burn yourself out by reading it all at once really fast. And ultimately a slow burn through the stories I think makes for a more satisfying experience.

Man, I don't know how much of this is the community or the author, but seeing weird callbacks like punching Q-bert in the nose to establish superiority get a good laugh out of me. Also, the final, final boss being like chapter 12 of 22 is insane.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Hmm, if I ever build that rulebook for how to run an Sburb play-by-post RPG, I might do away with the gender limitations for the classes since they feel a little unfair to me. I don't understand why men can't be rogues and women can't be bards. It'll also just be trouble for gender-fluid people or people with no gender.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I thought Rogue and Thief just tended to be female. Because if not, uh oh the rogue in our group is a boy! Oh no.

Prince being male-only makes sense though, as does Maid being female-only. Bard was surprising to me, though.

And gender-fluid people get to be anything they want~

glug posted:

Man, I don't know how much of this is the community or the author, but seeing weird callbacks like punching Q-bert in the nose to establish superiority get a good laugh out of me. Also, the final, final boss being like chapter 12 of 22 is insane.

It's... sort of both. Hussie and the early community were a wonderful mix, and it's one of those things I miss with Homestuck (but it's made up for in many other ways).

And yes half of PS is the final boss fight. It's... it's something else alright. Also, I'm really glad you started with PS, it will make early Homestuck make so much more sense to you (and welcome to the comic and thread! We are all glad to have you).

VVVVV
Yeah, I figured every gender-specific title would have an equivalent for the other one, but we only know of a limited number of titles!

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You are correct, UU said that Rogue/Thief tended to be female but not were exclusive. Prince/Bard are exclusive. It also seemed implied that there were equal numbers of common/exclusive classes for both male and female.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Starmaker posted:

Prince being male-only makes sense though, as does Maid being female-only. Bard was surprising to me, though.

It makes sense to me name-wise, not so much what-they-actually-do wise. If I de-genderized the classes I'd probably rename Prince and Maid.

The latter possibly Serf, and the former possibly Chief? For "prince" I went to "queen" as female equivalent name since 'princess' is two syllables, then to "king" because apparently my brain thinks of the word 'king' as unisex, then from 'king' to 'chieftain', then 'chieftain' became 'chief'.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 10, 2012

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
A girl would probably be a little uncomfortable in that Bard costume.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Olivia42 posted:

Not if I made the codpiece 'uncanon'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lady of the Beech posted:

Not if I made the codpiece 'uncanon'.

Well if you are going to do that why not just ignore everything! Jeez!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So the Prince's class is like how the Prince of Tennis uses his skills on the court to destroy his opponents.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I'm a sucker for cute things, so I decided to try my hand at making some Homestuck plushies. I started with an Aradia grub, and I think she came out pretty well! (There's some more pictures on my tumblr).

Name your price.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Olivia42 posted:

No, come on, think of all the stuff you could pack around down there, with all the free space. You'd never need a purse again!

(A friend was trying to think of a female equivalent, and just kept coming back to a Madonna bra.)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 10, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Name your price.

You're probably joking, but Hussie and his team have said very explicitly that 3D stuff from the comic (like plush toys or clothing or whatever) being sold is not okay in their book.

Giving away is fine. Selling is not.

(Not trying to be a buzzkill, honest)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Those dirty communists hindering the glorious capitalist Homestuck Knockoff Product Industry

More like Homesuck, am I right

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Yet 2D drawings are perfectly legitimate ways to profit off someone else's work.

Drawings are art, you see. Anything else is a product.

(Not trying to start anything here, that exception just kind of irks me.)

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Olivia42 posted:

Yet 2D drawings are perfectly legitimate ways to profit off someone else's work.

Yeah, I don't understand that either.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

I think he was just trying to be lenient, and not too draconian with the rules. PR is tricky business, gotta give them something right? (Not that they aren't still complaining.)

It's more for comissions, and stuff. Like "man I love your art could you draw Karkat and Nepeta riding in a car shaped like Karkat?" I don't know why things like plushies are off limits, but someone smarter than me explained it awhile back. I think it had something to do with the ease of reproduction in 3d, like sewing patterns and designs and junk. It does specifically say nothing mass-produced. Plus things like pins and plushies and whatever are usually pretty common at conventions, whereas individual, comissioned fan art is not.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Olivia42 posted:

This great debate over selling unofficial Homestuck merch has been filling up my Tumblr feed for days, don't you even think about bringing it here :argh:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Oh, sorry about that. I've read some of the Tumblr complaints, and their whining about not being able to make money anymore just makes me feel even worse. As someone who would never sell my work for fear that monetizing it would cheapen it, to be lumped in with those guys makes me want to stop knitting and take up ukulele or something. :smith:

Torgover fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I'm a sucker for cute things, so I decided to try my hand at making some Homestuck plushies. I started with an Aradia grub, and I think she came out pretty well! (There's some more pictures on my tumblr).

The pain of knowing that I can't have my own plush grub is too much to bear :(
How hard is it to start learning to knit?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Starmaker posted:

Bard was surprising to me, though.

This could be a reference to Final Fantasy Tactics, in which Bard/Dancer are the male/female restricted classes, respectively. Hussie has said that he doesn't actually play that many games, though, so it could just be a coincidence.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Olivia42 posted:

makes me want to stop knitting and take up ukulele or something. :smith:

You should do that anyway; ukelele is fun, easy, and cheap :D

e: take up ukelele I mean, not stop knitting :shobon:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 10, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Well Manicured Man posted:

This great debate over selling unofficial Homestuck merch has been filling up my Tumblr feed for days, don't you even think about bringing it here :argh:
As I see it, privately asking someone who does commission art and offering them money for a fanart is ok. Openly advertising that you draw homestucks and people can buy said homestucks from you is not.

Something like that, I don't care.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

So I kept hearing about this MSPA thing and decided to check it out, and basically marathonned through Problem Sleuth and Homestuck over the course of the last month. Now my brain is half-liquid due to so many absurd jokes, bits of hilarity, terror, and awe. Now I have to adapt to life without a nigh-infinite amount left to read.

Seriously I think my girlfriend was giving me strange looks because I was fairly often giggling like a maniac at my screen.

What else should I dive into? Are there any side aspects of this whole shebang worth reading? The above two sagas are all I've really read. Though I'm tempted to start Homestuck from part 1 again just to see what else I catch on a second read.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should definitely watch his humorous Star Trek TNG videos.

http://www.jandrewedits.com/

I wish he would make more. He stopped making them when Homestuck's popularity exploded.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
You can also try some of Andrew's older comics. I would recommend And It Don't Stop because A) it's great and B) you will suddenly understand Dirk's life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nighthand posted:

So I kept hearing about this MSPA thing and decided to check it out, and basically marathonned through Problem Sleuth and Homestuck over the course of the last month. Now my brain is half-liquid due to so many absurd jokes, bits of hilarity, terror, and awe. Now I have to adapt to life without a nigh-infinite amount left to read.

Seriously I think my girlfriend was giving me strange looks because I was fairly often giggling like a maniac at my screen.

What else should I dive into? Are there any side aspects of this whole shebang worth reading? The above two sagas are all I've really read. Though I'm tempted to start Homestuck from part 1 again just to see what else I catch on a second read.

Although they're nowhere near as good as Problem Sleuth and Homestuck, if you're interested in the complete picture, you should read Jailbreak and Bard Quest as well. You can knock 'em both out in an hour and suddenly you'll understand why pumpkins are so central to everything MSPA.

Also bards and codpieces.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dark Grapefruit posted:

You can also try some of Andrew's older comics. I would recommend And It Don't Stop because A) it's great and B) you will suddenly understand Dirk's life.

On that note if you can find a copy of Whistles get it, because it pretty much explains why anything clown related in Homestuck tends to be so hosed up.

Edit: Now that I think about it, alot of the stuff in Homestuck is essentially an extended callback to Hussie's older works. The Midnight crew got it's start in Problem Sleuth, everything about Dirk and rap came from And It Don't Stop, even Neon Ice Cream Hedache could be seen as a really early prototype for what would eventually become the concept of Sburb. So basically this site is pretty much our gospel.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 10, 2012

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Oh my god that is amazing...ly creepy. but no serious that's awesome. How do you even DO something like that? Good jorb.

Thanks! :) Anyway I started sewing by making a couple of Scalemates following Eyes5's scalemate tutorial (unfortunately, she's taken it down), and then once I had the hang of making stuff when given a pattern I tried making my own. If anyone else is interested in trying sewing, I'd recommend doing something similar - make a few things following patterns to start. (Eyes5 has some other patterns for non-Homestuck things on her website, and her materials and techniques page is really helpful regardless). I didn't find it too hard to make plushies when working from a pattern, though the actual sewing can be kind of tedious and a bit finicky. Making a pattern myself didn't seem too bad, either - that involved some trial and error and some spatial vizualization.

As for selling them, I'm obviously not going to do that since Hussie doesn't allow it. (I'm not sure I would have wanted to anyway, since at the very least I'd need to make a few more to get the pattern finalized and figure out how much time and materials it took to make one, and I don't know if I could have found a price that would be worthwhile to both me and a hypothetical commissioner). I do plan on posting the pattern I'm using, after I've made a few more grubs and am happy with it, though!

FrictionlessEmu fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 11, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Captain Snoop Dawg bust is back. :aaa: This is an awesome update.

And what's with the little Lord English-influenced Skaianet poster near ol' Snoop?

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 11, 2012

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
I might just be slow, but am I to assume that UU is involved in a 2-player session? Has she mentioned anybody else?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am more than prepared for something to actually loving happen already.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I am more than prepared for something to actually loving happen already.

Same here. I'm very interested in seeing if there will be kernalsprites in the first place because Prospit and Derse don't have prototyping towers. We're pretty close to the moment Jane should be getting hers, so I just want Hussie to and start the game already to see how this session will play out.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Captain Snoop returns? What a magnificent update.

Also yeah, I guess in this universe L.E. runs Skaianet?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I was NOT prepared for the glorious return of Captain Snoop. This is the new BEST THING.

Also, I say "cheerio" sometimes. My grandfather used to say it a lot and I got it from him. I guess it's an old fashion commonwealth thing because I'm Australian. I recall a South African friend as well who never said good bye any other way.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

I was NOT prepared for the glorious return of Captain Snoop. This is the new BEST THING.

Also, I say "cheerio" sometimes. My grandfather used to say it a lot and I got it from him. I guess it's an old fashion commonwealth thing because I'm Australian. I recall a South African friend as well who never said good bye any other way.

Maybe he was pretending to be british???

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's Jake's symbol, though. And he ran Skaianet in the pre-Scratch universe, didn't he?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So then the English-face logo on Jake's shirt, in addition to whatever else it signifies, is a parallel with B1 Jade's Atom logo. Nice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Who's that douchebag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

KoB posted:

Maybe he was pretending to be british???
Nay! I bet you she/he/it WILL be British somehow.

Let's face it, stranger things have happened.