Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Stanley Kubrick box set containing Lolita, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut for 25 GBP?

gently caress yes.

e: The packaging is, apparently a bit worse than the US version, and the set doesn't contain Spartacus or Dr. Strangelove. FYI
Dr. Strangelove is Columbia and Spartacus is Universal so there's no chance they'll be on a WB collection of Kubrick but $40 for 7 Blu-Rays is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Island Nation posted:

Dr. Strangelove is Columbia and Spartacus is Universal so there's no chance they'll be on a WB collection of Kubrick but $40 for 7 Blu-Rays is pretty good.

Um...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like All Quiet on the Western Front is quite good:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/All-Quiet-on-the-Western-Front-Blu-ray/34353/#Review

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I'm still hesitant to buy the Kubrick set after they reused the old, lovely transfer for A Clockwork Orange, despite the fact it was restored & screened at Cannes in 2011 and video from a clearly superior source is used in one of the extras on the very same disc.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

The Conversation dropped to $11.49 on Amazon. Amazing movie and the Blu-Ray does it justice.

It's $7.99 at Best Buy right now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So is it really normal for Blu-Ray software companies to stop providing compatibility updates just a few years after your version comes out

Because jesus christ, I do not want to have to pay $100 every two years if I want to keep being able to play Blu-Rays on my computer

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

frumpsnake posted:

I'm still hesitant to buy the Kubrick set after they reused the old, lovely transfer for A Clockwork Orange, despite the fact it was restored & screened at Cannes in 2011 and video from a clearly superior source is used in one of the extras on the very same disc.

The difference between the Blu-Ray and the restored version is amazing and makes me wonder about the other Kubricks, especially Eyes Wide Shut, which has the same blimpy look as the ACO blu.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Fag Boy Jim posted:

So is it really normal for Blu-Ray software companies to stop providing compatibility updates just a few years after your version comes out

Because jesus christ, I do not want to have to pay $100 every two years if I want to keep being able to play Blu-Rays on my computer

Yeah that was my experience with blu-ray/HD-DVD on PCs a few years ago. With player prices down to $100 or so it's not worth the pain to try playing blu-ray on PC IMHO.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

frumpsnake posted:

I just bought this set last week and am very pleased with it. It is a shame about A Clockwork Orange (especially as it is one of my favourite films ever), but the set itself is so nice and Space 2001 is one of the best blu rays I have ever seen. Also, there is no real problem with the packaging. Yes, the disks are a little difficult to get out, but it really is not that huge a deal.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sporadic posted:

Um...

Explains the Limited part of that box set but every studio has their price.

I'll take for 7 for $40 over 9 for $100 still.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com confirms Disney schedule

The Lion King 2 and 1 1/2 - March 6th
Pocahontas - Summer '12
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under - Summer '12
The Aristocats - Aug. 7
Cinderella - Fall '12
Aladdin - Spring '13

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a good lineup.

What I wouldn't give for Hercules by next summer, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does the Tree of Life Blu-Ray have anything good on the visual effects used in the film?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does the Tree of Life Blu-Ray have anything good on the visual effects used in the film?
Nope. No commentary either. The only special feature is a half-hour behind the scenes featurette.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wait, seriously? The big 30-dollar package of a film that was in production for like, what, six years is essentially barebones? There are so many deleted scenes aaaaa

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fenix down posted:

Nope. No commentary either. The only special feature is a half-hour behind the scenes featurette.

I'm still holding out hope that Malick releases a 6 hour director's cut, with all the trimmings. I don't know what the hell could possibly be in there, besides everything. Literally everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would really like to see a special feature on the special effects, they sound so cool :( Serious lack of Douglas Trumbull-centric features, also considering that 2001 special effects documentary got cancelled.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A standalone version of Ben-Hur is getting released February 7th. Preorder is already up at Amazon.

$13.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0074JOW5Y

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com confirms Disney schedule

The Lion King 2 and 1 1/2 - March 6th
Pocahontas - Summer '12
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under - Summer '12
The Aristocats - Aug. 7
Cinderella - Fall '12
Aladdin - Spring '13

Too much to hope for news on US ghibli releases? The answer is yes.:(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just to make sure, the french release of Silent Hill (the one that doesn't suck) doesn't have english subtitles right?

Because this says it does but others have stated it doesn't...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's $7.99 at Best Buy right now.

Nice, Amazon just pricematched them.

The Conversation

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005FUTBZA

If somebody previously ordered it, call Amazon. They should give you the difference as a "one-time consideration".

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just to make sure, the french release of Silent Hill (the one that doesn't suck) doesn't have english subtitles right?

Because this says it does but others have stated it doesn't...

It does.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sporadic posted:

Nice, Amazon just pricematched them.

The Conversation

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005FUTBZA

If somebody previously ordered it, call Amazon. They should give you the difference as a "one-time consideration".

Thanks for the heads up, just called them and had them change the price since it hadn't been shipped or charged yet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

frumpsnake posted:

It does.

What the hell, I could've sworn it said it didn't on the back. Thanks a lot!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I love this scene in Wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ddEPN-38s#t=1822s

The zoom, it keeps going! :psyduck:

It's also a really funny scene with great drunk acting. It's really true that silent actors had to play their parts with their eyes not their voice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's a track, not a zoom :) Great shot though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Se7en/Copycat/Taking Lives three-pack dropped down to $14.99 on Amazon. That's the cheapest it has been.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00634ML5E

The Searchers/Wild Bunch/How The West Was Won three-pack is the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00632KSCY

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Man, I'm bummed that Western pack isn't availible in a European version. The slim PS3 can't play US imports, right? :(

Also, is the cut of Blade Runner I want to get The Final Cut? It's the only one in blu-ray on the UK Amazon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

csidle posted:

Also, is the cut of Blade Runner I want to get The Final Cut? It's the only one in blu-ray on the UK Amazon.
Yes, get The Final Cut.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does anyone know anything about the Akira blu-ray? I haven't seen the movie in years and I was just thinking about it so I looked up the blu-ray and it is out of print. I thought this was odd considering that it only came out in 2009. Was there something wrong with it? And are there plans to reissue it. I'd like to know that before paying a stupid price for it (well, also if it's even worth having because I still have the DVD edition). If done well I'd imagine that it looks great on blu-ray.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

csidle posted:

Man, I'm bummed that Western pack isn't availible in a European version. The slim PS3 can't play US imports, right? :(

Actually, it should. Warner titles are usually region free.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Akira blu-ray? I haven't seen the movie in years and I was just thinking about it so I looked up the blu-ray and it is out of print. I thought this was odd considering that it only came out in 2009. Was there something wrong with it? And are there plans to reissue it. I'd like to know that before paying a stupid price for it (well, also if it's even worth having because I still have the DVD edition). If done well I'd imagine that it looks great on blu-ray.

I've got it and I think it looks pretty drat good, and DVDTalk gave it a positive review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36318/akira/

Couldn't tell you why it's out of print, but if you like the movie I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

EDIT: drat, it's going for over $80 used on amazon... Probably not worth that much. I would assume it will get a reissue at some point.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 11, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Daveski posted:

I've got it and I think it looks pretty drat good, and DVDTalk gave it a positive review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36318/akira/

Couldn't tell you why it's out of print, but if you like the movie I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

EDIT: drat, it's going for over $80 used on amazon... Probably not worth that much. I would assume it will get a reissue at some point.

I'm seeing it in some places for 30-50. There's no way I'd pay more than that for a blu-ray. I thought it was strange that it was out of print, especially since it was issued so recently.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I'm seeing it in some places for 30-50. There's no way I'd pay more than that for a blu-ray. I thought it was strange that it was out of print, especially since it was issued so recently.
I've never seen it below $35. It's one of my favorite movies so I got it anyway, and I'd say it was worth it. The picture quality is excellent, and the Japanese audio sounds better than the DVD. One drawback is that the special features are basically nonexistent. Also it regretfully doesn't have the English dub from the VHS.

But I still have the 2-disc DVD set with plenty of special features so it's all good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

I've never seen it below $35. It's one of my favorite movies so I got it anyway, and I'd say it was worth it. The picture quality is excellent, and the Japanese audio sounds better than the DVD. One drawback is that the special features are basically nonexistent. Also it regretfully doesn't have the English dub from the VHS.

But I still have the 2-disc DVD set with plenty of special features so it's all good.

Are people still up in arms about the original English dub? I managed to find a copy of the VHS at a thrift store a few years back so I'm convered if I ever want to see that version again, but I had no idea until recently that it was such a touchy subject. From what I've heard the English dub from 99 was a much better translation. I remember when I first saw the newer version I noticed it was changed, but I was always fairly indifferent about it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Are people still up in arms about the original English dub? I managed to find a copy of the VHS at a thrift store a few years back so I'm convered if I ever want to see that version again, but I had no idea until recently that it was such a touchy subject. From what I've heard the English dub from 99 was a much better translation. I remember when I first saw the newer version I noticed it was changed, but I was always fairly indifferent about it.
I'm not, but I assume some people are (on the internet). It would just be fun, that's all. I have a VHS copy, but it's blurry enough to offset any nostalgic factor the old audio could provide.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

I'm not, but I assume some people are (on the internet). It would just be fun, that's all. I have a VHS copy, but it's blurry enough to offset any nostalgic factor the old audio could provide.

Yeah I haven't ever felt like watching it, so I have no idea how it looks. I just figured that for a dollar it was worth having specifically because it's an alternate version of the movie. The internet being the way it is, there's probably someone who made a "fan edit" that adds the original English dialogue to the restored version of the movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of stuff going out of print, I was shocked to discover that the director's cut of zodiac is out of print and fetching ridiculous prices (at least in the minds of amazon marketplace sellers). Is this going to be a thing with blurays, where there's just an initial run and if it sells too slowly the studio abandons it?

And the original dub of Akira is great because everyone sounds like a ninja turtle. It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've only seen it twice--that has to grant it some kind of status making it historically significant enough to preserve on a home video release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

And the original dub of Akira is great because everyone sounds like a ninja turtle. It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've only seen it twice--that has to grant it some kind of status making it historically significant enough to preserve on a home video release.

This is no coincidence. That version of the movie is famous for having some of the Ninja Turltes voice actors doing the voiceover work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Speaking of stuff going out of print, I was shocked to discover that the director's cut of zodiac is out of print and fetching ridiculous prices (at least in the minds of amazon marketplace sellers). Is this going to be a thing with blurays, where there's just an initial run and if it sells too slowly the studio abandons it?

http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-Directors-Blu-ray-Mark-Ruffalo/dp/B0013BCWEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328942312&sr=8-2

This one lists it for 25, and Amazon claims it's all regions.

• Locked thread