Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So after a conversation with a raving lunatic earlier I am curious, does the U.S. military currently use Jeeps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

I am so unbelievably loving jealous. I searched for a year for a shorbed MJ and didn't find anything in this rust haven.

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/2844264889.html so much rust :sigh:

Rhyno posted:

So after a conversation with a raving lunatic earlier I am curious, does the U.S. military currently use Jeeps?

In what sense? We have legacy vehicles and derivatives of the M151 MUTT but for the most part no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

commissargribb posted:

In what sense? We have legacy vehicles and derivatives of the M151 MUTT but for the most part no.

This guy was telling about how he was going to "import an Army spec Wrangler with the sweet Volkswagon diesel."

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

commissargribb posted:

I am going to smack the poo poo out of you for linking that.

If it were 500 bucks I'd probably buy it. Even though I really need to stop loving with jeeps and stick with subarus.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Rhyno posted:

This guy was telling about how he was going to "import an Army spec Wrangler with the sweet Volkswagon diesel."

Sounds like he is talking about a J8 and is fuzzy on the details.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like he's getting confused with the 2.8 diesel Wrangler we get over here, but that's a VM engine, not VW.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Rhyno posted:

He's probably referring to the J8 Diesel sold in the middle east with the VM [not VW] Diesel. $80K+ a pop and impossible to import. He may be able to buy one from AEV as a kit but that's expensive.

http://www.jgms.com/

http://www.aev-conversions.com/

AEV took down their J8 page, I guess they didn't have permission to call it the J8.

There's a new modernized version of the MUTT. The military has a few dozen of those somewhere.

http://www.capitaldefense.com/AmericanGrowler.shtml

And off course the direct spawn of the military jeep, the HMMWV/H1.

http://www.amgeneral.com [AM as in American Motors, they even used the AMC logo until the 90's :( ]

And there's the Icon 4x4 versions which are nice:

http://icon4x4.com/overview/cj/models

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Sounds like he is talking about a J8 and is fuzzy on the details.

Yeah, really fuzzy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This afternoon, I removed the original owner's Trafficmaster and obsolete phone kit (I sodding hate phone kits) from the WJ, relatively easy job. I did it without disconnecting anything so the radio wouldn't reset, and of course this meant I promptly shorted out the power supply and blew the fuse anyway. So much for that good idea. The only evidence they were there is a 20mm hole in the trim below the instrument panel where the Trafficmaster button went - I've put a blanking grommet in it for now, will have to decide what I want to do about that. There's a 6mm or so hole in the centre of the dash where it meets the screen that the wire for the GPS bee went through - not that noticeable, though, I may just leave it and see if I forget it's there.

Also removed the K&N kit the PO put on, luckily he'd kept the original air box stuff in place, so all I had to do was refit the top half. The lower doesn't seem very solidly attached, but is ok when it's all clipped together - I reused the K&N's aluminium trunking to at least try and direct some cool air toward the air box intake, may not do anything but worth a try.

There's a taped-up hose barb on the plenum, and while the K&N had a corresponding barb (also taped over), the original setup does not. Where would that normally be routed?

Back to the interior/electrical, I'm intending to remove the CD changer in favour of an iPhone adaptor, anyone used one that they can recommend? The changer seems quite temperamental anyway, doesn't recognise any of my CDs except for The Village People. Make of that what you will...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you remove the reusable, more efficient filter?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ozmiander posted:

Why would you remove the reusable, more efficient filter?

Pretty sure K&N filters let more crap through. They are mostly hype and higher costs. They let in more air because the holes are bigger and those holes let in more dust.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Atticus_1354 posted:

Pretty sure K&N filters let more crap through. They are mostly hype and higher costs. They let in more air because the holes are bigger and those holes let in more dust.

Definitely not getting in to THAT argument :suicide:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

It isn't scientific, but my K&N let more dust in. I could tell a difference between it and a paper filter by the residue that was left in the box. Also you are the one who brought it up in the first place, so I wont argue if you don't want to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got my XJ back today and it passed inspection! :woop:

The guy did an amazing job welding the plates underneath. My dad said when it was being inspected today the guys in the shop were all crowded around commenting on how well hidden the seams are. Also, apparently the seat was lower because of the rusted floor because it sits noticeably higher now. Christ. I'm glad it didn't make a chair-sized hole in the floor as I was speeding down the highway and dropped me out the bottom.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

OneOverZero posted:

On another note, my $650 find to be picked up this weekend:

gently caress me sideways, somebody snuck in with more money. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

You don't have to, it's something of a secondary reason here - the K&N would be classed as a modification, and I can't be bothered having to declare it on my insurance (even if it wouldn't make much of a cost difference) when it probably makes little difference to the performance.

Besides, it wasn't really sectioned off from the warm air in the engine bay as well as it should be, the solution to which would have been more effort.

Doesn't mean I'm not mildly concerned with how well it would filter, and given it's a Jeep rather than a regular car, I feel more comfortable with the paper filter.

OneOverZero posted:

gently caress me sideways, somebody snuck in with more money. :(
drat, I detest people who do this. If you agreed a sale, you agreed a sale. To then accept another offer is... Dishonourable, I suppose. Might seem stupid and a little :wotwot:, but to me it matters.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 11, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe it's egyptian. They use wranglers in their military.

http://www.allpar.com/photos/jeep/J8/long-wheelbase-wrangler.jpg

no roll bar and wheel well seats - reminds me of one of those new Mahindra licensed jeeps they make in india.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
K&N is crap. They let more dust in, the oil fucks with meters downstream, and they don't offer any extra horsepower in most engines, because the filter is not the bottleneck.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

commissargribb posted:

Maybe it's egyptian. They use wranglers in their military.

http://www.allpar.com/photos/jeep/J8/long-wheelbase-wrangler.jpg

no roll bar and wheel well seats - reminds me of one of those new Mahindra licensed jeeps they make in india.

allpar is blocking that link, try http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/J8.html

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

grnberet2b posted:

allpar is blocking that link, try http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/J8.html

I have this photo from a while back too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks for all the info guys!

In other news, we registered the new XJ this morning and since it's cold as hell I opted to have my mechanic do the brakes. He's doing new rotors, pads and a flush for $170. It doesn't hurt to have a guy who loves Jeeps doing your work!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
"The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!"

2006 Rubicon with 24k miles on it. I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler since I was around 5 years old and now that I have one I feel like I am 5 :)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

"The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!"

2006 Rubicon with 24k miles on it. I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler since I was around 5 years old and now that I have one I feel like I am 5 :)

Lucky you. Looks nice. I can't wait till I can afford to get a Wrangler.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Thanks for all the info guys!

In other news, we registered the new XJ this morning and since it's cold as hell I opted to have my mechanic do the brakes. He's doing new rotors, pads and a flush for $170. It doesn't hurt to have a guy who loves Jeeps doing your work!

I was going to say you are silly for paying someone to do that, but 170 isn't bad for that job. Did you check if the lines are at all rusted? I have only one jeep that hasn't had a brake line blow on me, and it weighs 20 thousand pounds, so I am checking brake lines end to end on it next time it's nice out.

Some friends came over today (my yard has 3 different people's parts jeeps plus a friend's tractor parked in it, so it often serves as an impromptu meetup/cookout location) and we fixed up the tractor and got it driving again, I fixed my white MJ and we took it for a spin down some local trails, then we warmed up the 5-ton and took it for a spin too. The head gasket is getting really bad in that thing, so it looks like I won't be able to drive it until I have time to fix it again :( fortunately I also finished my carport/garage shed today, so I can work on it even if the weather is horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

I was going to say you are silly for paying someone to do that, but 170 isn't bad for that job. Did you check if the lines are at all rusted? I have only one jeep that hasn't had a brake line blow on me, and it weighs 20 thousand pounds, so I am checking brake lines end to end on it next time it's nice out.

It's just too loving cold outside to do it myself and I don't have access to a garage AND we needed it ASAP so better it done by a pro who I trust as he's done all my major work in the last 3 years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just got back from a 250 mile run in the WJ, and yeah, it doesn't feel in the least bit different to drive without the K&N kit, so it's staying off. I can probably eBay the thing, thinking about it, still got the box for it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

JEEVES420 posted:

I have wanted a Jeep Wrangler since I was around 5 years old and now that I have one I feel like I am 5 :)

That describes the vast majority of us. Welcome to the party! :toot:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
5 year old me just had the wind knocked out of him :( Neutral Disconnect broke and my jeep wont start. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to get it fixed.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

On my 98 4.0 XJ there is a clanking kind of like a ball bearing in a can sound coming from either the A/C clutch or mechanical fan clutch as they are stacked on top of each other. AC on or off doesn't change the sound, and the mechanical fan clutch seems to pass the spin tests. Any one know what's probably causing the noise? If my description is too vague I'll go make a video, but its balls cold outside.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

5 year old me just had the wind knocked out of him :( Neutral Disconnect broke and my jeep wont start. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to get it fixed.

Welcome to jeep ownership. poo poo will go wrong, and it will need to be fixed. It's always cheap and (relatively) easy to fix though.

beatdown posted:

On my 98 4.0 XJ there is a clanking kind of like a ball bearing in a can sound coming from either the A/C clutch or mechanical fan clutch as they are stacked on top of each other. AC on or off doesn't change the sound, and the mechanical fan clutch seems to pass the spin tests. Any one know what's probably causing the noise? If my description is too vague I'll go make a video, but its balls cold outside.

Pull the AC fuse in the engine bay. That will rule that out (if you have the HVAC settings on defrost it will keep polling the AC unit).

Other suggestion to diagnose it besides videoing it would be get a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope. JUST BE CAREFUL ABOUT STICKING A SCREW-DRIVE IN THE ENGINE BAY WHILE THE MOTOR IS SPINNING THE BELTS AND FANS.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

I tried a real stethoscope on the A/C and it didn't really seem like it was coming from there, could the fan clutch make that noise? Good point on the defrost, I think I was dumb when testing and put it on that for "off".

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

beatdown posted:

I tried a real stethoscope on the A/C and it didn't really seem like it was coming from there, could the fan clutch make that noise? Good point on the defrost, I think I was dumb when testing and put it on that for "off".

Do you mean a medical stethoscope? I think the pickup on that would be too large to not get all the ambient noise in the engine bay.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Could also be water pump. Just recently had a similar sound and it turned out to be that, after thinking it was a loose pulley.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
My 2000 XJ has trouble shifting into 4x4 most of the time. There is a grinding noise in 4HI that is constant, if it's in 2wd it will grind during loss of traction.

I'm getting a quote for opening up the T-case to have a look. Anyone experience these symptoms before?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

freestyl posted:

My 2000 XJ has trouble shifting into 4x4 most of the time. There is a grinding noise in 4HI that is constant, if it's in 2wd it will grind during loss of traction.

I'm getting a quote for opening up the T-case to have a look. Anyone experience these symptoms before?

Try getting new fluid in there. If that's not it, could be the chain or (sadly) the gear itself. Opening the T-case is not that hard, you can do it easily with 3-4 hours of your time and basic tools.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET

Steiler Drep posted:

Try getting new fluid in there. If that's not it, could be the chain or (sadly) the gear itself. Opening the T-case is not that hard, you can do it easily with 3-4 hours of your time and basic tools.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment with no room to work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Buy a junkyard transfer case for ~100 and pay someone to swap it in. NP231s are dirt cheap and very common in the yards.

Just check to make sure there isn't too much play in the case before buying it. Stick it in 4wd and try turning the front output yoke while holding the rear output yoke stationary, it should not turn much.

Anything from a 96 through a 2001 will bolt into your jeep with no mods. You need a small prybar, a 9/16" gearwrench, a stubby 9/16" gearwrench, a 9/16" shallow socket and low profile ratchet (can be done with a regular one, but it's a bitch), a six-point 5/16" box wrench, plus some wheel chock blocks, old bricks, etc. A 5/16" gearwrench as well will make the job faster but isn't required. If it's an auto you will also need (iirc) 13mm and 15mm sockets to drop the transmission crossmember.

It took me less than two hours to do it in a random vacant lot in the ghetto back when I did not have a place of my own to work on my jeeps. Drove it there, crawled under and did the swap, drove it home.

e: to change the fluid it's either a 10mm allen key or a 30mm socket depending on the year of manufacture. Make sure to clean the allen socket in the plug out well before trying to turn it or it can round off, and preferably apply some heat... and always pull the fill plug first to make sure it will come out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, the WJ's front passenger window just quit working, and when I was moving it back into the closed position, I heard the rattle of bits of broken plastic falling down the inside of the door.

Sounds like a regulator replacement is in my immediate future, I guess.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

jonathan posted:

K&N is crap. They let more dust in, the oil fucks with meters downstream, and they don't offer any extra horsepower in most engines, because the filter is not the bottleneck.

Indeed, there's a guy on another forum I hang out on with 2 identical trucks and he did an experiment for a year and ran an K&N on one and left the other filter as OEM.

Granted this was a turbodiesel, but he sent the oil changes off to Blackstone Labs for an analysis.

The K&N truck received 5-10x the amount of silicon [dirt] than the control and 10x the amount of aluminum and iron [engine parts wear] the tech at the lab wasn't aware of the test being done and asked blindly if one truck had an K&N filter installed, if not check for leaks in the intake system...

I think it may help some cars on the street, but for off road vehicles kicking up heavy amounts of dirt/dust, I'd stick with the original OEM.

That being said, elevated levels are one thing, and the test was overkill only to find microscopic levels of additional wear, but I haven't heard of a dealer rejecting warranty claims for running an K&N filter [although the guys near me will replace it with an OEM paper filter doing warranty work and return the K&N to the customer in a bag upon vehicle pickup...]

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seriously considering a TJ Wrangler now that I finally can afford one, although it's gonna have to be a cheap one. Should I avoid the first year TJ? IIRC it had some issues but I may be wrong. I may be tempted by a YJ if I can get an Islander or Rio Grande.