Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hah, PTN's comments are really starting to cause me to second-guess my choices. I can't help but wonder if a Skye independent of the Vipers while armed with a full contingent of SLDF Royal 'Mechs to replace the losses suffered by the Kell Hounds and Highlanders wouldn't be the best choice. But I've already cast my ballot for the Viper Empire and a small thank-you gift to Duncan, so I'm really just putting this idea out to any lurkers who haven't yet voted. And to guess what might have been, which is occasionally worth wondering about.

The Cardassian's cryptic words are causing unease? :monocle:

Don't worry too much. It's just an envoy. I mean, it's not like the product of a hyper-aggressive warrior society is going to react poorly upon seeing the leader of Skye is a dwarf. Right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

I mean, it's not like the product of a hyper-aggressive warrior society is going to react poorly upon seeing the leader of Skye is a dwarf. Right? :ohdear:

This is how Boatmurdered got started, isn't it?

Joining the A train.

RC2. RC3 would mean Marik thinking "Melissa" is coming on to him.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What I've learned from these votes is simply to do what you would like to see the actors do in a given situation - you're not going to be able to predict the consequences (because PTN is awesome)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^ Agreed.

A, RC1

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

What I've learned from these votes is simply to do what you would like to see the actors do in a given situation - you're not going to be able to predict the consequences (because PTN is awesome)

Yeah I mean who among us could've said they'd see Frederick Steiner turning on Aldo Lestrade based on our voting decision as to whether or not the Lyran Commonwealth would attack a suddenly independent Skye?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I mean who among us could've said they'd see Frederick Steiner turning on Aldo Lestrade based on our voting decision as to whether or not the Lyran Commonwealth would attack a suddenly independent Skye?

I don't know BattleTech lore well enough to know if you're agreeing with me or being snarky :shobon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, Frederick Steiner is known by a much more famous name in canon. Though that only happened after his misguided association with Duke Lestrade nearly got him killed. So we probably won't be seeing it here.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

I don't know BattleTech lore well enough to know if you're agreeing with me or being snarky :shobon:

I wasn't trying to be snarky, and I apologize if it came off that way. To be honest even though I know who Frederick is in the FASA-timeline, I still didn't see him turning on Lestrade coming in the PTN-timeline

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Narsham posted:

RC2. RC3 would mean Marik thinking "Melissa" is coming on to him.

And this is a bad thing because...?

Hurriness
Feb 23, 2011
College Slice
B

RC3

Because PTN called me out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Narsham posted:

RC3 would mean Marik thinking "Melissa" is coming on to him.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried to estimate the political ramifications (and fallout) of this vote (or, specifically, the combined elements of this vote) to second guess me.

A lot of the votes where I give two options have different outcomes depending on the combination of both votes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A lot of the votes where I give two options have different outcomes depending on the combination of both votes.

Well now! I'm going to be keeping this in mind from hereon out.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried to estimate the political ramifications (and fallout) of this vote (or, specifically, the combined elements of this vote) to second guess me.

Well, I think the crowd has sussed out the importance of bringing more mechs back (outfitting the Highlanders and giving Skye more of a chance of surviving as a political entity) and creating Skye Snakes is going to bring a whole mess of hurt on the entire region (can we do some war WarShip combat between Romstar and the Vipes?).

So, basically, by picking RC2, we create an almost-destined-to-fail Skye and possibly force Comstar to mobilize.

Which means, I think we're about to move into the End Chapters of this LP, aren't we?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The exact ramifications are almost impossible to fathom, especially since our options are dealing with fairly vague assessments of material resources.

For example - it could be that the clan enovy will be dismissed, succeeding only in causing the Steel Vipers to lose face in front of the other clans. As such, an anti-Crusader faction is able to politically outplay the divided Crusaders causing the clan invasion to lose momentum.

Or it could be that the envoy will create an alliance between Skye and the Clans that the Corsairs cannot tolerate, causing them to turn on the Skye leaders in hopes of blocking the alliance. The quantity of war material they took from the Brian will determine their success, so that the low-resource answer causes Skye to retain autonomy and the alliance goes through, the high-resource answer causes Skye's leaders to fold and the alliance doesn't happen, and the middle answer to cause Skye to descend into intractable violence and become no longer an attractive ally for the Vipers.

Perhaps picking the option which involves taking the most Mechs will cause the surviving Highlanders to fold themselves into the Corsairs in order to get some new Mechs, or perhaps the increased competition makes it hard for them to compete in Skye and they ultimately fold? Maybe going for the Viper alliance causes them to flee into some other State's service (or even the periphery!), or maybe it'll get the Highlanders hired by the clans?

Or perhaps choosing the option where the Corsairs leave the most behind in combination with the Viper vote will cause Marik to start making gains against the Capellans, but since the FWL are fairly anti-Comstar, Comstar overextends itself by sending support to Capella, making invasion easier for the Vipers, which in turn only succeeds in antagonizing Hanse into attacking through central space toward the Vipers instead of cutting through DC space to the Horses.

I could do this all day, and that's with just a surface understanding of the lore. That the thread isn't overrun with speculation is actually a credit to the restraint of the many Battletech fans herein.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

I could do this all day, and that's with just a surface understanding of the lore. That the thread isn't overrun with speculation is actually a credit to the restraint of the many Battletech fans herein.

Speculation is LosTech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The other possibility is that people are voting for what sounds good without really caring about the rammifciations.

Or more cynically, they might not care. If you come to a fork in the road and you don't know where any of the branches lead, there's nothing that stops them from all eventually ending up in the same place.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Which means, I think we're about to move into the End Chapters of this LP, aren't we?

I hope not. I'm thoroughly enjoying this LP.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A
RC1

Let's do our best to screw with Comstar and leave them with admittedly interesting gear.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Let's not forget that Skye might appreciate some of this shiny new gear.

A

RC1

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

B

RC1

Because I feel like this is the best bet for a big, awesome fight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

I hope not. I'm thoroughly enjoying this LP.

Battletech keeps going and going. Thats just how it is.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
A

RC1

For the Republic Beneath the Steel Skye!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

Or more cynically, they might not care. If you come to a fork in the road and you don't know where any of the branches lead, there's nothing that stops them from all eventually ending up in the same place.
In a situation like this where a faction has multiple options and voting for one faction does not preclude the chance of influencing another I go with the thing that I would try were I running them as my faction in a game of Succession Wars.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

B

RC1

Let's see some combat in Skye.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I had any background or past history with Battletech beyond this thread and the Crescent Hawk computer games, I'd give it a shot.

My general instincts suggest:
Strong Skye might reject a Clan overture; weak Skye can't afford to. Conversely, if the Clan attacks, Skye's strength matters to their ability to resist... but Marik might be more willing to provide assistance if "Melissa" treated him well.

The biggest issue with the A choice, if Skye does cut a deal with the Vipers, is that Marik might believe that was always part of the plan. Melissa not only played him and screwed him over on the rewards of the plan, but was already planning to betray the IS as well, presumably expecting to get whatever she's forced to leave behind back as Marik's territories are conquered.

I simply don't have enough grasp on the larger setting to predict how Comstar would respond. But then, Comstar so far in this story hasn't been accounting too well for itself and I'm not convinced their leadership is particularly strong. They seem apt to wait for too long before taking direct action, though that's partly because the goonvote kept passing on the Comstar scenario.

Ditto for the Clans. One triumphs; a second cuts a deal with an IS world. How are the others going to take that? (Betting the answer will vary wildly by individual clan.)

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009
A

RC3

Maybe the FWL will be helpful to Skye if we're nice to them :)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Narsham posted:

Strong Skye might reject a Clan overture; weak Skye can't afford to. Conversely, if the Clan attacks, Skye's strength matters to their ability to resist... but Marik might be more willing to provide assistance if "Melissa" treated him well.

Cooperation is LosTech. Seriously, nobody ever plays nice with each other in Battletech, unless one of the two people playing nice is a surgically-reconstructed doppleganger or secretly a WOB agent. The only way for Skye to survive is to be strong. I don't think the strength of their forces has anything to do with the Steel Viper's overture--remember PTN was saying that the different combinations of votes would lead to different outcomes, not that the outcomes of the two votes are necessarily tied together (they might be, and this vote could be a sort of proxy for how Skye is dealing with other such situations, but if not, I can't imagine an extra regiment of mechs is going to suddenly make Skye feel so much more powerful that it would change the way they respond to the Snakes' proposal).

But I cannot believe that there's any real possibility for cooperation. That never happens in Battletech or, if it does, it so pisses off the fan community and the game designers that they quickly destroy it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In other words, cooperation only happens in so far as it allows the writers to set up a future sudden but inevitable betrayal.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

W.T. Fits posted:

In other words, cooperation only happens in so far as it allows the writers to set up a future sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Right, or the downfall of the entire Inner Sphere. It's sort of a coin flip.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
My informal count has us at roughly 41-50-38.

I think if the Corsair decides to fight Skye there'll probably be a combat vote for selecting it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

cwDeici posted:

My informal count has us at roughly 41-50-38.

I think if the Corsair decides to fight Skye there'll probably be a combat vote for selecting it.

This is probably true. I can't wait until PTN forces a "Romantic Love Triangle" vote on us...

Option D, Everyone Gets Married

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Option E: The Dominion invades Cardassia and we the players must save it in giant robots.

Wait, wrong game. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TildeATH posted:

Cooperation is LosTech. Seriously, nobody ever plays nice with each other in Battletech, unless one of the two people playing nice is a surgically-reconstructed doppleganger or secretly a WOB agent.....

....But I cannot believe that there's any real possibility for cooperation. That never happens in Battletech or, if it does, it so pisses off the fan community and the game designers that they quickly destroy it.
Apart from the Ghost Bear Dominion, the Nova Cats/Irece prefecture, the Wolf in Exile/Arc Royal Defence Cordon, the Raven Alliance.....

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Arquinsiel posted:

Apart from the Ghost Bear Dominion, the Nova Cats/Irece prefecture, the Wolf in Exile/Arc Royal Defence Cordon, the Raven Alliance.....

Yeah, besides PTN is writing this, things will be more logical.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Arquinsiel posted:

Sea Fox/Diamond Shark Interstellar Commerce Sector with Headquarters on Ferenginar.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm hopelessly mired in a c. 3052 understanding of the universe...

You kids get your RACs off my lawn!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It can be hard to shake out of it. I at least had the advantage of making it to the end of the Civil War before I disowned canon.

Jonatir
Apr 9, 2010
I've been lurking this thread for a while, but I just had to throw out a question (something for everyone voting to think on) and thought on the political vote.

What kind of impact would a mixed force of IS mechs and SLDF mechs create (from a first impression visual perspective rather that a firepower one) compared to one that contains SLDF mechs only, if the steel vipers were to send an envoy to Skye?

From what I've read, it seems like the clans are a superstitious lot(of varying degrees) and both options can create very different situations for everyone involved.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Jonatir posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, but I just had to throw out a question (something for everyone voting to think on) and thought on the political vote.

What kind of impact would a mixed force of IS mechs and SLDF mechs create (from a first impression visual perspective rather that a firepower one) compared to one that contains SLDF mechs only, if the steel vipers were to send an envoy to Skye?

From what I've read, it seems like the clans are a superstitious lot(of varying degrees) and both options can create very different situations for everyone involved.
I'm not an expert either, but SLDF mechs are generally more advanced and come with more advanced weapons and equipment. They're considered Tier 2 mechs while the mechs that have been constantly used through the Succession Wars are Tier 1 due to being significantly downgraded over the years. Having a bunch of SLDF mechs can turn the tables in the Sphere's favor since it closes the tech gap vs. Clan mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonatir
Apr 9, 2010
Yea, there is that to consider, but I was more focused on a possible political effect the choices might have.

For instance, would the Steel Vipers react negativity to the appearance of the mixed force, perceiving them to be looters of a legacy belonging to the clans?
Or would the Vipers see the SLDF mechs as a good omen/legitimizing(whether by accident or on purpose) their course of action, encouraging them to fully ally with Skye?

Just something that came to mind when reading the vote.

• Locked thread