Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

debasuuuh posted:

I bought a card to send overseas (England). It didn't dawn on me until now that the post office might not like that 1) the card is largish and square, and 2) the envelope I picked up with it is bright red. Is this gonna get returned to me as undeliverable if I send as-is? I have a feeling the answer is yes. :(

You should see some of the envelopes we've sent in the Goon mail thread. Hooo doggy.

You have nothing to worry about unless it is extremely oversized, and/or extremely heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

jmarquis710 posted:

When I sign for a certain TIP on a restaurant bill, in addition to the actual cost of the food, who verifies that the paid tip equates to the one I wrote down ???

I could sign for $5 but so couldn't some jerk type in for a dollar more ???

Make sure you do your math correctly, because whichever way nets the server more is the one that's getting entered.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Hoops posted:

Yeah, as long as the right postage (I'm assuming an airmail stamp?) and address is on it it will be fine. They don't care at all about the colour. The shape is fine too, the British Royal Mail go by weight.

This is not true, they go by size as well. The three main sizes are Letter, Large Letter and Packet.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why did 45 RPM records have that cutout in the middle, requiring a plastic adapter to be snapped into it to play on most turntables? Couldn't they just have extended the plastic to the centre like with larger records, or does it have something to do with the rate of rotation?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why did 45 RPM records have that cutout in the middle, requiring a plastic adapter to be snapped into it to play on most turntables? Couldn't they just have extended the plastic to the centre like with larger records, or does it have something to do with the rate of rotation?

The best I can find is a line on Wikipedia that implies that the large hole was made so that the records could be used in mechanical jukeboxes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

haveblue posted:

The best I can find is a line on Wikipedia that implies that the large hole was made so that the records could be used in mechanical jukeboxes.

Showing my age, but I can confirm this to be correct.

Not all of them were like this, many had normal-sized holes in them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

Showing my age, but I can confirm this to be correct.

Not all of them were like this, many had normal-sized holes in them.

I've seen some that have a regular hole and a bit you can break out giving you the bigger hole.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I had the top comment on a youtube video, but I checked again later and some other comments were there instead of mine, even though mine still had the highest number of "likes". Does it rotate or can the creator of the video take comments down from the top?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We're having an apocalyptic movie night. What do y'all recommend? So far we're collecting everything from Children of Men to Shaun of the Dead.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

We're having an apocalyptic movie night. What do y'all recommend? So far we're collecting everything from Children of Men to Shaun of the Dead.

Omega Man

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Golbez posted:

12 Monkeys
Tank Girl
The Road Warrior
Mad Max
Delicatessen
Six String Samurai
Class of 1999
The Warriors
The Road
Threads
Book of Eli
Independence Day
Blade Runner
Escape from New York/LA
28 Days Later
Waterworld
Tomorrow, When The War Began

edit: if you're including stuff like Shaun Of The Dead you may as well go with the Resident Evil movies, Dawn of The Dead, Day of The Dead, and Land of The Dead.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 11, 2012

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Golbez posted:

Zombieland.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Postman. Loved it.
I watched this at 1.7x speed, so it might not have been as insufferable as people say it is at normal speeds.

e: Cloverfield? Though it doesn't have the classic dried out desert last-stand sort of setting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Miracle Mile featuring Denise Crosby and Anthony Edwards. A scared kid in a missile silo accidentally calls a random dude in payphone to let his dad know it's Armageddon and tips him off about the ensuing nuclear exchange.

Also, everything WHEEZY said. Especially 12 Monkeys.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Golbez posted:

I have two words for you: Barb Wire.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Class of 1999

You have taste. I'm surprised Solarbabies wasn't on this list.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Golbez posted:

"Strange Days" was underrated I thought.
Seconding "The Omega Man" even though I actually thought "I Am Legend" was pretty awesome too.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I know that you guys probably mean the original Omega Man with Charlton Heston, but I Am Omega with Mark Dacascos is the only film by The Global Asylum that I've enjoyed.

It's a campy, low-budget movie, that's a given, but it did capture the feeling of post-apocalyptic media like A Boy and His Dog and the Fallout series. Practically every person who watches it says the same thing: "You know, for an Asylum film, it's not terrible."

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWskbJrz1T8

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
If you're into black and white movie kitsch, the original Vincent Price version of this is so fantastic. It's one of my favorite black and white films. I'm a classic horror/dystopia fan.

Honky MoFo
Aug 22, 2000

There are some mother fucking snakes on my mother fucking face!

Golbez posted:

Damnation Alley
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075909/
It's the first movie I remember watching on Showtime or HBO.
"In an post-apocalyptic world, a group of survivors travel and find other settlements in huge custom designed all terrain vehicles."

I wanted a custom designed all terrain vehicle so much I would play in my dad's car and pretend it was one of them.
:krad:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Very Strange Things posted:

"Strange Days" was underrated I thought.
Seconding "The Omega Man" even though I actually thought "I Am Legend" was pretty awesome too.

I was gonna post Strange Days as well. It's kind of dated, but it is a hosed up movie.

Wheezy got the rest that I know of, but seconding Blade Runner, especially now that you can buy the CORRECT version with the right ending on Blu Ray.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So what do people actually mean when they talk about "decompression" in the emotional sense? Is it just basically getting all that poo poo off your mind and pulling yourself back together mentally, or what?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, when people say that they really just mean relieving stress, usually by doing something relaxing like taking a walk, or maybe a week off from work where you don't actually take a trip but just relax for a week.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Stake Land is a good and under-seen film.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Lawnie posted:

I'm generally loving terrible at waking up in the morning to an alarm. I want to try some sort of "gently caress you, you have to get up you lazy sack of poo poo" alarm clock, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid that with most of them, I'll do the mundane task of getting up and picking up this thing rolling around my room, turn it off, and go back to sleep. am I a lost cause already?

Any recommendations on an alarm clock that will get me up and alert pretty quickly would be great.

Something like this 500W Halogen Work Light plus a timer switch works for me. Your body is programmed to wake up to bright light and this thing is like something out of sunshine

I would imagine that it's even more effective if you get some blue gels for it to simulate natural early morning light, I haven't done that yet.

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 11, 2012

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why the hell does my hair grow so fast? I'm a guy and used to be one of those kids in high school (mid 00s) with the super moppy hair that looked retarded. Since college, I've been trying to wear it shorter and shorter each year but eventually gave up altogether because it has gotten to the point of cutting it nearly to a crew cut once a month and it literally grows about four or five inches all around. My facial hair & nails also grow back at an alarming rate (I'd honestly have a full rear end beard if I didn't shave for a week and a half, no exaggeration), and I detest shaving more than any other activity on the face of the Earth so this is also irritating. I'm going to be graduating within the next few years and I highly doubt anybody would want to hire an idiot with what looks like emo Justin Bieber hair. I also can't afford to have a $20 haircut every two weeks, either.

Any ideas? Is there anything I can do to slow my hair growth rate down? It look absolutely wild right now. It looks something like this immediately after I get it cut and right now-maybe a little more than a month later- it looks a lot like this. I always get tons of compliments on how "clean" it looks and such but really, I just don't want to look like this anymore. It just doesn't jive with my sense of style & personality. I'm not punky in the least.

And please don't suggest for me to cut it myself. Dear God, I can't even imagine the travesty I'd produce.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 11, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Go to super cuts and get a shave with a 2" guard every two weeks for 8$. Or buy your own clippers and have a friend do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SlenderWhore posted:

Any ideas? Is there anything I can do to slow my hair growth rate down? It look absolutely wild right now. It looks something like this immediately after I get it cut and right now-maybe a little more than a month later- it looks a lot like this. I always get tons of compliments on how "clean" it looks and such but really, I just don't want to look like this anymore. It just doesn't jive with my sense of style & personality. I'm not punky in the least.

Live with a frequent haircutting schedule. Better to have a too much hair problem than too little. You'll change your tune down the road if/once you start thinning out.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've got a mesh dome filter covering the fan above my stove, and it's gotten pretty gross. Where can I get a new one? Do they have those at, like, a grocery store? A hardware store?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got a mesh dome filter covering the fan above my stove, and it's gotten pretty gross. Where can I get a new one? Do they have those at, like, a grocery store? A hardware store?

Hardware store is where I'd look, though I don't know if those are things that come in standard sizes, or are specific to your range hood. I'm guessing it's just coated with years of grease and assorted detritus that's gotten stuck to it? Maybe you can remove it and clean it off some, oven cleaner would probably cut through the grease pretty well.

My question: Maybe better suited for the legal questions thread, but I got a parking ticket today that I would like to challenge in court. The specific law that was cited from the municipal code states that I have to be in accordance with a law from the state code. I looked up that law, and it was repealed, effective last summer. Assuming that the municipal code is up to date on the city's website (I've already emailed the clerk to make sure), do I have a fighting chance in court?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Gravity Pike posted:

You can clean those with something like CLR and they come up really nice. Mine was even shiny, blew my mind.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I am looking for the following book "The Mathematical Theory of Infectious Diseases and Its Applications" by N. T. J. Bailey to make sure something I reference is correct, but I cannot find it anywhere that it is not out of stock or costs something ridiculous like $400 if they did have a copy. Any ideas of how I could get my hands on an ebook version of it? I don't belong to a university so interlibrary loan is out of the question.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Zegnar posted:

Something like this 500W Halogen Work Light plus a timer switch works for me. Your body is programmed to wake up to bright light and this thing is like something out of sunshine

I would imagine that it's even more effective if you get some blue gels for it to simulate natural early morning light, I haven't done that yet.

Jesus, does that work? That seems like a really horrible setup.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jose Cuervo posted:

I am looking for the following book "The Mathematical Theory of Infectious Diseases and Its Applications" by N. T. J. Bailey to make sure something I reference is correct, but I cannot find it anywhere that it is not out of stock or costs something ridiculous like $400 if they did have a copy. Any ideas of how I could get my hands on an ebook version of it? I don't belong to a university so interlibrary loan is out of the question.
If you're near Boston you can see (but not check out) a copy from Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, or Tufts. Maybe enter your zip and see if there's a library that'll let you take a look?

http://www.worldcat.org/title/mathematical-theory-of-infectious-diseases-and-its-applications/oclc/2325489

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jose Cuervo posted:

I am looking for the following book "The Mathematical Theory of Infectious Diseases and Its Applications" by N. T. J. Bailey to make sure something I reference is correct
If you just need to see a page or two to confirm something it says, e-mail me.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I got a letter in the mail, and the envelope was stuffed pretty full. There was $0.85 postage on the letter. Rubber-banded to the envelop was one of those "sorry we missed you" package slips, but that part was scribbled out, and on the back was "Please leave 45¢ for this letter. Thanks - Dave."

Since then I've left $0.45 (in change) in my mailbox on top of the note, but Dave (I'm assuming Dave is my mailman) hasn't taken it or left another note. Anyone know what's going on?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Zegnar posted:

Put THIS right outside your window on a timer.

Or you could just get something like this which is just basically a much prettier version of what Zegnar does. You don't really need a 500 watt halogen to wake yourself up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dumb question and I know I'm overthinking it, but:

I just remembered that I left a box of Crystal Head Vodka in my car. According to weather.com, its about 16oF there. Maybe a bit more, since it was in a car, in a garage.

Now, let's say its around 70oF inside the house. Or my hands are 98 degrees. I'm not risking any thermal shock of the glass shattering, am I? As far as I'm aware, thermal shock is about drastic changes, and this might not be drastic... but like I said, I'm prolly just overthinking it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hahaha, no. Dear god no. You're like an order of magnitude off. Your hands, which are probably about 80 degrees are not going to break a thick glass bottle that's at 16 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

thelightguy posted:

Hahaha, no. Dear god no. You're like an order of magnitude off.

I was hoping this would be the answer. I really dig the stuff, and I would be really irritated if the thing shattered outside of dropping the stuff.