Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

How can I restore just messages?

I can't find the exact app that gets recommended around here but something like this allows you to read the backup files on your PC and extract anything from it. From then it's a not-so-elaborate process of copying the appropiate stuff (texts in this case) into a new backup from a fresh install/restore.

You may have better luck asking in the Jailbreaking thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've done some research into this but I was hoping someone could tell me from experience: does iCloud backup save all of your app data?

edit: Sorry, this may be more of an iPhone question than an iTunes question. The reason I posted it in here is because I'm assuming iTunes and iCloud are closely related. I am new to i-things.

TACD posted:

Yes.

Sort of, at least as of iOS 5.0.1. It backs up data that the app says isn't cached data, so stuff like music and movies that it can pulled back down from iTunes aren't backed up via iCloud/iTunes backup, although they are effectively backed up since they're in iTunes on your computer. Goodreader for example will back up most PDFs except the ones in the Download folder, which don't get backed up. It's up to each app to decide what is cached data and what should be backed up.

edit: added more context since it's a new page.

fordan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 6, 2012

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I'd like to try to consolidate my itunes library with my boyfriend's. Here are the details; what's the best way to go about this? I'm fairly new to itunes because I always hated it, but I'm trying to learn

-he has a Mac, I have a PC
-I have itunes match on my account, he doesn't
-he has a ipod touch and an iphone, i only have an iphone

Is there a way to get our libraries combined into one big itunes matched library that we can both access and won't delete everything on his ipod touch? I've tried reading up on things but there are a ton of moving parts (or so it seems to me)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Any reason why you're doing this? Do you just want all the media files on one computer? Because if you wanted two libraries on one computer, you can hold option on a Mac (so probably Alt on a PC) to ask you to load a different library file. You can have the same music, but with different play counts and ratings, etc. Just make sure if you do that that you don't delete a song and then have it move the file to the trash, as the other library will probably be using that file too.

Otherwise, just move the media files over to the computer, drag them into the library, tell iTunes to show you duplicates, and then sort by date, delete the duplicates of the ones added "today".

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

IUG posted:

Otherwise, just move the media files over to the computer, drag them into the library, tell iTunes to show you duplicates, and then sort by date, delete the duplicates of the ones added "today".

Only interesting piece around this is iOS app and/or video that may be DRMed to one user or the other.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
I guess I was also a little skittish with how it would handle apps, since we've both bought stuff under our own apple IDs, and how the cloud/match would work. If i move everything to my computer, and then itunes match it, would I just sign into iTunes match on his computer and then we'd both have access to everything?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

helsabot posted:

I guess I was also a little skittish with how it would handle apps, since we've both bought stuff under our own apple IDs, and how the cloud/match would work. If i move everything to my computer, and then itunes match it, would I just sign into iTunes match on his computer and then we'd both have access to everything?
Assuming you have the newer non-DRM copies of music files then you can just import the media files and they'll play without fuss on anybody's device. And yes, once they're all on your account and matches you should be able to log into iTunes on his machine and download everything.

Apps will still be tied to the iTunes account that bought them - you can have apps from more than one account on a device but you'll need the purchasing account's password to update (not use) them.

I guess this is personal preference but just thinking about having apps on my phone from more than one account and needing multiple accounts / passwords gives me a headache. It upsets me enough that some of my apps are from the UK store and some are from the US store.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

IUG posted:

you can hold option on a Mac (so probably Alt on a PC) to ask you to load a different library file.

It's the shift key in Windows.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

helsabot posted:

I'd like to try to consolidate my itunes library with my boyfriend's.
iTunes Home Sharing is ideal for this purpose.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

iTunes Home Sharing is ideal for this purpose.

We just turned this on, and I can see all of his music now, but he can't see any of mine. I'm guessing it's because all of my stuff is in the cloud? I thought that was supposed to be a seamless transition but maybe I just made that up in my head

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

helsabot posted:

We just turned this on, and I can see all of his music now, but he can't see any of mine. I'm guessing it's because all of my stuff is in the cloud? I thought that was supposed to be a seamless transition but maybe I just made that up in my head

Make sure you've turned on Home Sharing on both computers, and checked off "Share This Library On The Local Network" in the Sharing tab under Preferences on both computers.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I used to be able to to move the horizontal scroll bar with alt+scroll wheel, but now I can't. I think it was the iTunes update that brought Match that changed it. Is there a way to re-enable that?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Make sure you've turned on Home Sharing on both computers, and checked off "Share This Library On The Local Network" in the Sharing tab under Preferences on both computers.

Also remember that the iTunes account you enter for Home Sharing must be the SAME account on every computer you want to share with.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
What the heck, I finally gave in and decided to get iTunes Match, and it matched around 4,500 songs and is now uploading like 18,000. I thought the library they had was pretty big but I guess not.

edit: Oh, cool, if it locks up while uploading and you quit iTunes it starts the whole process over! :thumbsup:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

What the heck, I finally gave in and decided to get iTunes Match, and it matched around 4,500 songs and is now uploading like 18,000. I thought the library they had was pretty big but I guess not.

edit: Oh, cool, if it locks up while uploading and you quit iTunes it starts the whole process over! :thumbsup:
Are you sure it's actually uploading 18,000 songs? I've heard a lot of people say that they thought it was uploading a lot of songs, but it turns out it was really just uploading the album art for most of them. I guess it's not always obvious what it's actually doing during the upload process.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Are you sure it's actually uploading 18,000 songs? I've heard a lot of people say that they thought it was uploading a lot of songs, but it turns out it was really just uploading the album art for most of them. I guess it's not always obvious what it's actually doing during the upload process.

I guess that's possible, but when it started again after I quit iTunes, it insisted on rescanning 18,000 songs, so probably not.

edit: Well also, it did finish the scanning process once but the music showing up on my iPhone is only a small subset of what I have, so I think it's just that I listen to a lot of music iTunes apparently doesn't sell.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 9, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Jesus, this is gonna take days. This upload is slow as hell.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had the opposite problem when I signed up for Match this week. It matched most of my stuff (only around 4000 songs) and uploaded the obviously unmatchable stuff (comedy albums, AC/DC stuff) but what really bugged me was the little stuff that wasn't matched but should've been.

A track or two from every few albums wouldn't get matched and would get uploaded instead. I checked the iTunes store and saw it there but no dice. A little googling found that this is somewhat common but there's no surefire explanation as to why. :sigh:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
What the heck, iTunes told me my upload was finally done, all my music is availabe in iCloud. Great! But tons of songs are still greyed out and unselectable on my iPhone. I've tried resetting the phone and now I did "update library," but what the hell. Some of these even have the little cloud next to them in iTunes, so... they should be there.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Upon rescanning, iTunes came up with another 5,000 songs it wants to upload. Weird.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So I just noticed that the 'iCloud status' and iCloud icon columns were missing in iTunes. Went into my iTunes account page and there was a button offering me the chance to 'Add this computer to iTunes Match'. I only have this one computer. What the gently caress?
Edit: Actually, I bet it disassociated this machine from iTunes Match when I tried to change my region to the UK to buy a UK-only app. Sucks I can't do that anymore :(

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Upon rescanning, iTunes came up with another 5,000 songs it wants to upload. Weird.

If you right click on the column headers you can add a column called iCloud Status that will tell you the exact status of the song as iCloud sees it (either matched, uploaded, or some others if it failed or hasn't gotten to it yet)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

DarkJC posted:

If you right click on the column headers you can add a column called iCloud Status that will tell you the exact status of the song as iCloud sees it (either matched, uploaded, or some others if it failed or hasn't gotten to it yet)

Sick. But why does the cloud show up for some that show as waiting, and then not show up for some that were matched? I don't think I quite understand what's going on here.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
Is there any way to check which files in a folder aren't in iTunes? I have a large Music folder, and over time I've removed albums from my library, or deleted duplicates, but the files did not get deleted. I'm running really low on space and I'm trying to figure out if there is an easy way to see which songs are not currently in my library so I can delete them. I'm using Windows.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Anybody know anything about iTunes Match disbanding genius on devices? I started to use iTunes Match and it seems to have deleted the genius button on my iPhone. Then when I synced the iTunes match to my iPad, it again removed the genius option. Is there something I'm supposed to enable in iTunes on my computer or something? I really liked genius and I'm kind of annoyed iTunes match seems to have issues with it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Sick. But why does the cloud show up for some that show as waiting, and then not show up for some that were matched? I don't think I quite understand what's going on here.

The cloud icon doesn't show up for ANY of the songs in my library and they've all been uploaded/matched. The only time a button appears in the 'cloud' column is if the song isn't locally stored on my computer. So that cloud might be an indicator that the song still has to be processed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lt Moose posted:

Is there any way to check which files in a folder aren't in iTunes? I have a large Music folder, and over time I've removed albums from my library, or deleted duplicates, but the files did not get deleted. I'm running really low on space and I'm trying to figure out if there is an easy way to see which songs are not currently in my library so I can delete them. I'm using Windows.

If you're low on space I'm not quite sure. However if you can use another hard drive temporarily you can tell the settings to have the library there, have it consolidate your library (move your media files organized by iTunes to the new location), and then delete the old location. Do it again to move them back to where they should be.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I had the opposite problem when I signed up for Match this week. It matched most of my stuff (only around 4000 songs) and uploaded the obviously unmatchable stuff (comedy albums, AC/DC stuff) but what really bugged me was the little stuff that wasn't matched but should've been.

A track or two from every few albums wouldn't get matched and would get uploaded instead. I checked the iTunes store and saw it there but no dice. A little googling found that this is somewhat common but there's no surefire explanation as to why. :sigh:

If you right click on the uploaded track and hit convert to MP3, delete the original and then update itunes match, it'll match a lot of the time. No idea why this works but there you go

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
I have some people bugging me about sharing iTunes media in the office. I don't use it so I really don't know if this is possible. What they want is to be able to all share the same songs, even though they have different iTunes accounts. Let's call them Bob and Jane.

Bob's music is saved on his computer in the iTunes folder. Likewise, Jane's stuff is saved in her iTunes folder. They are using totally different apple accounts for online purchases.

I see in the iTunes advanced options I can change the location of the media folder. Is it safe to make both of their iTunes computers point to the same data folder on their office server? That way any subsequent purchases would get saved there and hopefully show up on both of their computers.

This is trivial with any other media player. However I know how iTunes can be with these sort of things and need professional advice.

I want to avoid Computer-to-computer sharing if possible. There are actually 5 people in this office that want a central location for all their iTunes stuff.

edit: I realize that sharing iTunes music may be a no-no. If that is indeed the case I can tell them it's not possible. However they have a large collection of burned CD's as well, so the question still remains.

tjl fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 12, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

tjl posted:

I have some people bugging me about sharing iTunes media in the office. I don't use it so I really don't know if this is possible. What they want is to be able to all share the same songs, even though they have different iTunes accounts. Let's call them Bob and Jane.

Bob's music is saved on his computer in the iTunes folder. Likewise, Jane's stuff is saved in her iTunes folder. They are using totally different apple accounts for online purchases.

I see in the iTunes advanced options I can change the location of the media folder. Is it safe to make both of their iTunes computers point to the same data folder on their office server? That way any subsequent purchases would get saved there and hopefully show up on both of their computers.

This is trivial with any other media player. However I know how iTunes can be with these sort of things and need professional advice.

I want to avoid Computer-to-computer sharing if possible. There are actually 5 people in this office that want a central location for all their iTunes stuff.

edit: I realize that sharing iTunes music may be a no-no. If that is indeed the case I can tell them it's not possible. However they have a large collection of burned CD's as well, so the question still remains.

What's your objection to sharing music through iTunes? There's no particular reason you couldn't set your library to be a network drive and then mash "consolidate library," I suppose, although if their collections are large it will chug for a while.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tjl posted:

You know what else is in the iTunes Preferences?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, but he said he wanted to avoid computer-to-computer sharing for some reason.

One of the cool things about dorm life was being able to check out other people's music libraries and make unfair judgements about them. IMO.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Yes, I saw the share library setting; that may end up being what I tell them to do.

I guess what I'm asking is can there be one central library with five users/contributors, instead of five libraries across different computers? Like I said I would like to avoid that type of sharing for a few reasons. They don't backup their workstations so I want to store it on the office server. It's a safer place for the media. It could save me hours of messing with media files if/when I need to reinstall their computer operating system. And the computers wouldn't all need to be on to see all the music in iTunes.

I feel like what they are asking for is far from what Apple had in mind when it comes to iTunes though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
And you can't set their libraries to the same network folder because...?

It seems kind of strange that you are spending this much company time/energy on preserving people's music collections though. I mean I would think a lot of places wouldn't even let you use iTunes, let alone have the IT guy actively trying to back up your music.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both myself and my housemate have pretty big libraries (albeit with some overlap) running on our respective machines and also iTunes running on the HTPC in the lounge. As most of our friends also own iPhones, I thought it'd be pretty neat to give Remote access for all the music in the house to them.

So far the best method I've found is:

Add the libraries from each machine as a share to the HTPC
Add the iPhones Remote IDs as controllers
On Remote go to 'More' then 'Shared', pick a library then choose 'Artists' from the bottom menu

This works pretty well if you know which library you want to attach to, but any guests to the house won't know what's where.

Anyone know of a way to unify the library on the remote view? We can't use a joint Apple ID as we both need our individual logins, and I have Match running which I'm sure would confuse matters to no end.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So it has finished for real, but some songs that show as "uploaded" on iTunes are still not selectable on my phone. What the hell is with this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why does iTunes glitch out every time I add something to my iPod? I usually keep it in mini player mode but have to maximize it when I fiddle with the iPod, but after I'm done, iTunes won't go back to mini player but instead stays maximized and the top part of it glitches out. I can still interact with it and put it in fullscreen (where it just stays maximized albeit with the grey background) and back again which makes it go back to normal. But hitting the green "+" just glitches it out again until I restart iTunes.

Minor niggle in the end but it's still a bit odd.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using iTunes 10.5.3 on OS X 10.7.2 - does anyone know if there's a way to reduce the resolution of the visualisation? I only discovered iTunes has one yesterday and I like it, but it rapes my CPU a bit much.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Anjow posted:

I'm using iTunes 10.5.3 on OS X 10.7.2 - does anyone know if there's a way to reduce the resolution of the visualisation? I only discovered iTunes has one yesterday and I like it, but it rapes my CPU a bit much.

It uses about 30-40% of one CPU on my laptop, but I am running a 2011 MBP with an i7. It shouldn't be making your computer unusable. What are you running it on?

You can type ? to get help for commands you can type into the visualizer, or you can switch to the classic visualizer (View->Visualizer) and see if that takes up less CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

IUG posted:

If you're low on space I'm not quite sure. However if you can use another hard drive temporarily you can tell the settings to have the library there, have it consolidate your library (move your media files organized by iTunes to the new location), and then delete the old location. Do it again to move them back to where they should be.

Yeah, I think this is what I might end up trying. I also though about making a small app that could crosscheck files against locations and vice versa, but for now I'm going to have to put that on my never ending "projects to try if I have time" list.