Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Totally gratuitous post incoming:

Here's some of my footage from the Maxim shoot. See if you can spot the matte box in the shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5WZbYO3vlU&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

I sure can spot the flash banding in the shots. Who cares about the matte box.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Is there anything that can prevent that? A filter of some sort? Or are we stuck with the rolling shutter no matter what?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

I wanted to keep watching, but the music is awful. As far as the banding, you are stuck with it because of the design of the CMOS sensor. The flash is not on long enough for the sensor to scan fully so you only get bands of it. I have not found a way around it. I have come across the same issue when recording guns being fired. The flash will appear in the top, or bottom, or middle. Changing shutter speed has no effect to fix it.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

A lot of Panny cameras have flash band compensation on them. I'm not sure if it really works, but I think it lessens the effect.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
IIRC, only the newer (CMOS) HPX's have flash band compensation on them. I think the Sony EX1/3 have it as well.

There's no real fix for it outside of compositing in some white frames, but if you have a shot where there's a ton of strobes going off at different times, this might not be feasible.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Walnut Crunch posted:

A lot of Panny cameras have flash band compensation on them. I'm not sure if it really works, but I think it lessens the effect.
Neither here nor there but I really hate the word Panny...don't know why but it just rubs me the wrong way. Anyway, back to the rolling shutter discussion. :toot:

Oh and thanks for the explanation of the differences between RedCode36 and the new ratios! Very helpful :)

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

Funny about the term "Panny" just kind of slipped into that, mostly because it is easier to type by a few letters.

I personally have a bizarre instant hate relationship with things like "check out my awesome new timelapse", even more so when they are in a tweet and contain the word vimeo, and hashtag #kesslercrane.
Even more so if philip bloom pocket dolly is included.

That said, we've got a cineslider and a basic controller. Works really well 1000:1 on macros.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

chimheil posted:

I wanted to keep watching, but the music is awful.

Heh, while I was watching I was thinking that it was my favorite part about the video.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
So we got our F65 yesterday, here it is.

It's the first one that Abel Cine Tech has sold, cool points. :c00lbert:

Apparently I was wrong about something on the camera. I thought that it was a global sensor, but it turns out that it's a regular rolling sensor and the mechanical shutter really is there to minimize the effects of the rolling nature of the sensor. Basically every pixel is active by the time the mechanical shutter opens and doesn't stop capturing the frame until after the shutter has closed. I can see how this would fix flash banding but I still don't see how that would fix rolling pixel issues, can anyone explain this to me? There is no clear literature that I can find that explains thoroughly how this works.

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012
I'm not 100% on whether or not it's appropriate to ask on here but do any of you guys know of any independent filmmakers with a film they'd be willing to submit to a film festival? My University is working pretty closely with the White Sands Film Festival in New Mexico and I thought maybe the film goons might know someone who would want to enter a submission.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm so close to dropping 1800 on one of these. I shouldn't..but i should.

edit: i like that who ever lit the product shot for kino just said 'screw it, we'll use the egg crate as a cookie. hand me that 650 and bastard amber' effort++

edit 2: green version of what i just said = they used the kino grid aka egg crate as a cucoloris aka
"cookie" over a hardlight (650w, maybe a 1k, who knows) and threw a non color correcting (not CTO or CTB) color on there which to me looks closest to a deep bastard amber.

and most likely keyed the product with another kino flo. I can't imagine they used a chimera or book light setup instead, what with the access to kinos and all.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 30, 2012

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

From the Dorkside posted:

I'm not 100% on whether or not it's appropriate to ask on here but do any of you guys know of any independent filmmakers with a film they'd be willing to submit to a film festival? My University is working pretty closely with the White Sands Film Festival in New Mexico and I thought maybe the film goons might know someone who would want to enter a submission.

Are shorts included? I've got one I finished recently that I'm starting to submit to festivals. It's already been shortlisted to some pretty major ones. PM me or send me an email: bill dot mcguire at iinet dot net dot au

I'd give you a direct link to it here, but it's a screener copy that can't be posted to the general public online. I'm happy to email you a link instead.

Edit: here's a quick production still from it.

schmuckfeatures fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 30, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

butterypancakes posted:

Really? My copy works just fine.

Backup your install media then, cos afaik its been dropped.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

SquareDog posted:

So we got our F65 yesterday, here it is.

It's the first one that Abel Cine Tech has sold, cool points. :c00lbert:

I'll see that bad boy Tuesday. I'm coming in with Andrew to gently caress with it.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I emailed sales @ Kinefinity to ask about their upcoming S16 digital cinema camera. They said they expect it to be available to US customers in Q3 2012 and priced in the range of $4-6k. I think the lower end of that spectrum is still attainable for hobbyist filmmakers. Mechanical shutter, RAW, 2K, XLR Inputs, and off the shelf SSD media is just incredibly sexy.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

One of my best friends just finished up post on his first feature film, starring Coolio. I worked on it with him and had a blast. Now he's just doing the festival thing and looking for potential distributors.

https://www.200kdirty.com

Any and all eyes on the film are good.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

At least now I finally know what happened to Coolio

From the Dorkside
Jan 5, 2012

ogopogo posted:

One of my best friends just finished up post on his first feature film, starring Coolio. I worked on it with him and had a blast. Now he's just doing the festival thing and looking for potential distributors.

https://www.200kdirty.com

Any and all eyes on the film are good.

It seems cool, I will definitely tell the festival people about it/contact your buddy. If it's been in theaters they don't want it :iiam: at least to me anyway. A weird policy. Oh, schmuckfeatures, that email was no good.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Oh, schmuckfeatures, that email was no good.

My bad. There's no dot between bill and mcguire. That'll teach me to mash the keyboard with my forehead instead of typing normally. :haw:

Try this one instead:

(Not that any of this probably stops spammers from harvesting my address, but oh well)

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

It seems cool, I will definitely tell the festival people about it/contact your buddy. If it's been in theaters they don't want it :iiam: at least to me anyway. A weird policy. Oh, schmuckfeatures, that email was no good.

It hasn't been released anywhere at all, so it's clean. Maybe White Sands could be it's premier festival! Haha.

It's absurd, really. Coolio is such a weird, funny, and nice guy, but man...the dude is old and really out of it.

Anyways, thanks, and I hope something can work out!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Well well well, what have we here?

I'm loader for a FSU thesis film this week. Should be fun!

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/WjV4b.jpg[timg]

I think it's awesome schools are still shooting on film. I'm so glad I got to work with it. It really makes you slow down and consider everything methodically while shooting, even if you move to digital straight away.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BeavisNuke posted:

I think it's awesome schools are still shooting on film. I'm so glad I got to work with it. It really makes you slow down and consider everything methodically while shooting, even if you move to digital straight away.

I was lucky enough to shoot a lot of 16mm in undergrad, so I'm glad to be involved in our 35mm show.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

What stocks are these? Film is a blast. Shot 35mm for my senior commercial project and loved it.

EDIT: link because it's the only thing I've ever done that's worthwhile - http://vimeo.com/22919651

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

EnsGDT posted:

It's sad that I see film cans and automatically assume that it's for a student film.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

ogopogo posted:

What stocks are these? Film is a blast. Shot 35mm for my senior commercial project and loved it.

EDIT: link because it's the only thing I've ever done that's worthwhile - http://vimeo.com/22919651

15,000' of 5219, 3,600 of 5213, 2,400' of 5230 (I guess Kodak was pushing it on them so whatever), and a 400' recan of 5201 that there's no way we use.

SquareDog posted:

It's sad that I see film cans and automatically assume that it's for a student film.

Oddly enough this is our only 35mm thesis film. Almost every other show will be Red MX 4k, and one show will be the guinea pig for our two new Epics.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

ogopogo posted:

Great mickey-mousing on the beats. I only ever got to shoot with 16 mm - do you still load 35 in a light-tight bag and all that?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BeavisNuke posted:

Great mickey-mousing on the beats. I only ever got to shoot with 16 mm - do you still load 35 in a light-tight bag and all that?

Sure do!

Live from set!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't suppose we have a thread anywhere for special effects, specifically organic/natural/in-camera effects?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I had an opportunity to spend my first day with a DaVinci Resolve panel yesterday.

My first impression was that, for the price of $30k, the build quality is really disappointing (compared to the Tangent CP200 panels for example). The rotary encoders and buttons are made of very cheap plastic and the trackballs don't run evenly smooth and have quite a considerable resistance to them (you can't throw them) (EDIT: After a couple of days of using the panel, the trackballs run a lot smoother now). You can press the rotary encoders to reset their values, but the click feels very mushy. The built-in screens are full-color LCDs, which is nice. All keys are backlit, and very brightly so. In a dim color grading environment I only found a very low brightness and desaturated color pleasing. The buttons are not all painted evenly thick though, so some had light shining though them. Also, the button lights vary in color tint when set to neutral RGB values (so no real "white" light, but rather a mix of magenta/green tinted lights all over the panel). The buttons' shapes are all the same (apart from a few rectangular ones). They are thin, have beveled edges and are packed closely together. This makes it difficult to feel for the right button, without looking for it. They should have put some of those little dots on important buttons, like on the F and J keys on computer keyboards. The panel's slide-out keyboard has to be pulled out manually. It slides in and out without hardly and force and since doesn't have a way to fix its slid-out position, I often ended up with it sticking half-way out of the panel. The biggest downer with it, is that it isn't backlit (seriously?!) so you need a separate lamp to be able to read the black keys, which are packed very closely together as well. Also, after half a day, an only glued-on lid came off below the keyboard, exposing some circuit boards. Lastly, the T-Bar is made of toy-like plastic too, but it has a nice resistance to it.

Functionalitly-wise, the panel offers a lot of features to control Resolve without a mouse conveniently. They even came up with a pretty nice solution for navigating and editing the node tree and for editing curves. You have a lot of keys on the panel twice, so you can either use your right or left hand to reach those features. The LCD screens with their context sensitive soft buttons make it possible to dive even deeper in Resolve's functionality and thus also offer a lot of features that are found on the panel. Like this, you sometimes have three buttons that do the same thing. This is alright I guess ... BUT then there are some features that are missing on the panel or need a shift key to be pressed beforehand, when they clearly had space/buttons available (there are also a lot of unmapped buttons for future releases on the panel). The worst offender in the "missing" category is, that the rectangular window (mask) doesn't have an aspect-ratio control on the panel, so you have to use the mouse to get it from rectangular to a square shape, or to shear it for example. The aspect-ratio rotary encoder for the circular window, which is available, is not mapped in rectangular mode. I know Resolve doesn't offer an aspect ration slider in the GUI either, but changing the aspect-ration of a window is such a frequently needed task that a fast solution would have been nice. I also haven't found a way to apply a still to a clip, only memories (their "quick-recall" stills). Something that I found a little confusing is that you don't get feedback when using toggle buttons. For example the preview-grade button behavior is really hard to follow if you don't really concentrate on it (which you shouldn't need to). It's the same with the right trackball's mode. You can toggle it to control the color picker in in viewer, to pan/tilt an active mask or to control curve points. This made me move a lot of masks, accidentally, because I forgot that I set it to that mode 15 minutes ago. A nice button feature is, that the panel always colors the last used button yellow and if you pressed shift, it colors the buttons with shift-functionality cyan. It also does it for the LCD soft button's text, which can get confusing though, because if you press a button there, you might enter a new menu screen with different button configurations, so the button's new configuration will be colored yellow.

Alright, I'll leave it at that for now. As you probably noticed, I'm a little disappointed. I know all panels have issues, but this one was made just for Resolve alone and thus could have really delivered an outstanding experience. Nevertheless, the Resolve software is still great and the panel does offer a lot of features on clearly labeled buttons, that work well with it. It most certainly is better than using a third party panel, but I still hope that they fix some of the issues in future (firmware) versions.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 9, 2012

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

FLX posted:

I had an opportunity to spend my first day with a DaVinci Resolve panel yesterday.

Thank you for that wonderful review. I never get to actually play with the gear when I'm grading so it's very interesting to hear this sort of thing :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Thank you for that wonderful review. I never get to actually play with the gear when I'm grading so it's very interesting to hear this sort of thing :)
Sure thing. I never get to play with those cameras, which is why I love those trip reports here too.

On a way less "high-end" note, I did a quick grading for a friend's 30-minute school project this weekend on a MacBook Pro. I tried out the free vWave iPad app by Tangent for that, which is mainly a PR gag, but still surprisingly more convenient than using only a trackball-mouse/touchpad combo.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, ok, that's pretty loving cool. One more reason to get an iPad I guess.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Yeah, ok, that's pretty loving cool. One more reason to get an iPad I guess.

It only works with Color though, but the setup is a breeze. You just install the Color plugin from the Tangent website and once the Mac and the iPad are on the same WiFi network, it automatically connects when opening the App.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

FLX posted:

It only works with Color though, but the setup is a breeze. You just install the Color plugin from the Tangent website and once the Mac and the iPad are on the same WiFi network, it automatically connects when opening the App.

I've been toying around with the idea of connecting my DJ midi controller as a control surface for coloring. It would be completely ridiculous but it beats the hell out of using a mouse.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 30, 2014

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

exponentory posted:

My fav changing tent. I usually affix my watch to the top part before I go in.

You dummies; just plug the hard drive in, you don't need a changing tent when dumping the footage.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Tiresias posted:

You dummies; just plug the hard drive in, you don't need a changing tent when dumping the footage.

Note to self, try and convince one of the first year students that the RAID we dump footage to must be in the dark or else they'll expose what we shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
I just got one of these for my Sony NEX10 E-Mount video camera:

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-lenses-NEX-VG10-adapter-Manufactured/dp/B004KW1OKO/ref=pd_vtp_p_3

Works like a dream with the three Nikon lenses I have (the 50mm 1.8 Nikkor looks gorgeous). Love the sony cameras, but find the lenses to be bulky and difficult to zoom in/out with.