Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkstitch
Dec 10, 2006

Humming the Bassline

mitztronic posted:

So... you're selling your mix or giving it away for free?

We're hustlin? Essentially "Hey want a mix? Thanks for taking it do you have any change?". My girl has fun drawing on the cd's too and we meet a lot of connects for random poo poo that way.

Whatever I never said I was hot poo poo or anything, and I'm actually reading up on Sidechaining right now because honestly I have no idea what that is.

I have no internet at home so I just do this for fun. Club speakers are especially fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is there a place on SA where I'm allowed to ask for Facebook likes for a DJ competition? Can I just post it in here?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

keevo posted:

Is there a place on SA where I'm allowed to ask for Facebook likes for a DJ competition? Can I just post it in here?

If for a specific mix you have online, maybe here?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

vas0line posted:

OH GOD NO NO NO STAY FAR THE gently caress AWAY FROM AFTON NO NO NO

It's a form email. Afton Shows sends that poo poo out nonstop if you somehow found yourself on their email list. They make you sell tickets to their shows. It's really stupid. I played one Afton show with my band a few years ago and it was a really stressful sketchy experience.

This is basically how most clubs and gigs work though, just they are more blatant about it. If you aren't spamming your friends about it on all your social networks you get some strongly worded email or text about needing to promote more.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Old Man Pants posted:

This is basically how most clubs and gigs work though, just they are more blatant about it. If you aren't spamming your friends about it on all your social networks you get some strongly worded email or text about needing to promote more.
True, but at least in my experiences normal clubs/promoters don't hold you to contractual financial obligations should you fail to draw.

edit: also this: http://neverpaytoplay.com/Afton/&NP2Pafton.htm

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 10, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bonobo live at the boiler room right now http://boilerroom.tv/live/
He used a number of tracks from this mix http://soundcloud.com/bonobo/solid-steel

Wait is this not the thread to post mixes? :ohdear:

Sorry

epswing fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 9, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

In 500+ shows, multiple states, multiple "scenes", couple of years I personally have never dealt with this once.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

In 500+ shows, multiple states, multiple "scenes", couple of years I personally have never dealt with this once.

To be fair, I think he's describing college nights

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Anyone have a recommendation for a great 2 channel mixer, or should I just save up for a Sixty One? My little Vestax has seen better days.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
The new DJM 350 looks great. I'm not sure about the Xone counterpart because last I heard the 2 chan counterpart (the 32 I think) has gain knobs on the back (wtf?) and its filter is a lovely fader. I could be wrong though.
The 350 has a dedicated colour knob so you get the filter effects of the 800 and they sound beautiful.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

vas0line posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a great 2 channel mixer, or should I just save up for a Sixty One? My little Vestax has seen better days.

What about the TTM-56?

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo
ecler nuo 2/3 are good too. rane empaths are great used also. (3ch)

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

This is my review of the 62:

OWNS, best two channel mixer ever,

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I want one but I'm already sitting on top of $1200 worth of gear that I need to sell...I don't need to add my mixer to that pile.

PS: I have a lightly used Numark NS6 and a pair of CDJ400's (with cases) that I need to get rid of.

edit: how are the buttons on the 62? hard plastic or Traktor X1 soft rubber style?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

TheWevel posted:

I want one but I'm already sitting on top of $1200 worth of gear that I need to sell...I don't need to add my mixer to that pile.

PS: I have a lightly used Numark NS6 and a pair of CDJ400's (with cases) that I need to get rid of.

edit: how are the buttons on the 62? hard plastic or Traktor X1 soft rubber style?

They're hard plastic like the color effect buttons on the 800. Sell that poo poo though, this is probably the best mixer I've owned since the 56, feels like a true successor to the 56 as opposed to the 57.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I wouldn't mind owning both an NS6 and a 62. I need to find a job. :negative:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
How are the faders on the 62? I don't know if I could give up the faders on my 57sl.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

How are the faders on the 62? I don't know if I could give up the faders on my 57sl.

Same Rane magnetic faders!

Played out with it over the weekend and the dual USB ports for Vs set I did owned bones.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was really hoping to hear otherwise... now I want one.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone here with Serato use smart playlists? I've been avoiding itunes and just been using folders, but I'm realizing that's self-defeating.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Anyone here with Serato use smart playlists? I've been avoiding itunes and just been using folders, but I'm realizing that's self-defeating.
I have smart playlists that organize my library into increments of 10 bpm. There are smart playlists for 0-59, 60-69, 70-79, and up to 190-199. I separate my "dj tracks" from the rest of my library by adding a tag in comments that says "trax".

Stole the idea from Flosstradamus.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

i just throw all my music in itunes, then make new playlists inside of itunes for everything, then use that inside of serato. After messing around with bunch of different ways of doing it, i think its the best way because you can update your playlists using itunes so you can listen to them or whatever when youre changing stuff.

yea yea i know, itunes, but it works great for this purpose.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I tried using the iTunes integration for a while, but I didn't like having to wait for my whole music library (most of which is not at all useful while djing) to load with Serato.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I tried using the iTunes integration for a while, but I didn't like having to wait for my whole music library (most of which is not at all useful while djing) to load with Serato.
Definitely a drawback. Fuckin iTunes.
I'm curious... How large is your iTunes library? Mine's around 70 gigs and it takes SSL about 15 seconds to start.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vas0line posted:

I'm curious... How large is your iTunes library? Mine's around 70 gigs and it takes SSL about 15 seconds to start.
mine is about 100gb and it takes about that long, i never even noticed it took so long.

even if its a minute, is it really a big deal?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Mines around 571... not including videos :gonk:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Mines around 571... not including videos :gonk:

you need therapy or something. should we call a&e and tell them we have a hoarder?

571 gb!!!!

You crazy son.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

you need therapy or something. should we call a&e and tell them we have a hoarder?

571 gb!!!!

You crazy son.

Well that's what triggered this, that's 10 years worth of poo poo and vinyl wav rips. Going through and deleting all non- 320s and finding replacement versions. So much of this poo poo isn't even tagged right.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

oredun posted:

mine is about 100gb and it takes about that long, i never even noticed it took so long.

even if its a minute, is it really a big deal?
Nah... I usually restart while I'm setting up for the night anyway. An extra 15 seconds isn't bad. The only time it's really sucked is during the extremely rare occasion when SSL crashes... Even then I switch over to emergency iTunes until SSL comes back up. :)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I do. I usually have tags in each song and each playlist will find a specific tag and add it to that playlist. It's really useful in that if my library crashes for whatever reason, it's not difficult to re-create that library. But I really hate that I can't create the equivalent of a sub-crate in iTunes. It would be really useful. Also the way the way that Serato reads ID3 tags is annoying.

drat, 571 gigs?! Mine is about 46 and I'm going through it and deleting songs from my hoarding phase.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

vas0line posted:

Oh, I'm around 300 gigs. It took forever every time that library had to load.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Finally made the leap to digital, so I have a couple small questions. I'm not going to be using iTunes, but I have a question about how to keep your Serato library updated.

I typically grab tracks that I'm going to DJ with, and keep them in a separate folder from my itunes library. So when I add 20 new songs to that folder, do I just click and drag the whole thing into Serato? Or is there a way to tell Serato "scan this folder every time you boot up" ?

Do you guys tag cue points and loop points on everything, or just do it as you go? I've been loading up a song, I set a cue point at the start, a second at the big drop, and a third with a loop on the last big section. I figure if I start running out of time I can loop out the ending if I get in a bind. Any tips for a digital newbie?

Edit: I decided to just do 320 MP3 for everything, I think I'll run out of space a little too quick if I go for lossless, and everyone I've talked to seems to think 320 is totally fine. I've been listening back to 320s on all different systems, and I can't really tell a difference. Anyone really ride for lossless?

reichsten fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 12, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

Finally made the leap to digital, so I have a couple small questions. I'm not going to be using iTunes, but I have a question about how to keep your Serato library updated.

I typically grab tracks that I'm going to DJ with, and keep them in a separate folder from my itunes library. So when I add 20 new songs to that folder, do I just click and drag the whole thing into Serato? Or is there a way to tell Serato "scan this folder every time you boot up" ?

Do you guys tag cue points and loop points on everything, or just do it as you go? I've been loading up a song, I set a cue point at the start, a second at the big drop, and a third with a loop on the last big section. I figure if I start running out of time I can loop out the ending if I get in a bind. Any tips for a digital newbie?

Edit: I decided to just do 320 MP3 for everything, I think I'll run out of space a little too quick if I go for lossless, and everyone I've talked to seems to think 320 is totally fine. I've been listening back to 320s on all different systems, and I can't really tell a difference. Anyone really ride for lossless?

whats wrong with itunes? it does exactly what you are asking for. 320 is fine, really, 256 is fine every now and then, and 192 is alright if you have a request you have to download real fast at a gig.

just set cues where you need them and delete the ones you dont use, its really easy to trip up and hit the wrong cue. looping, i guess if you had some sort of super tight routine then i guess you could set them ahead of time, but imo, its better just to hit loop when you need something looped.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

oredun posted:

whats wrong with itunes? it does exactly what you are asking for. 320 is fine, really, 256 is fine every now and then, and 192 is alright if you have a request you have to download real fast at a gig.

just set cues where you need them and delete the ones you dont use, its really easy to trip up and hit the wrong cue. looping, i guess if you had some sort of super tight routine then i guess you could set them ahead of time, but imo, its better just to hit loop when you need something looped.

Well, I have hundreds of gigs of itunes music, and I don't intend to DJ with any of it. My whole iTunes is populated with 192 rips of stuff that I will never DJ

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

Well, I have hundreds of gigs of itunes music, and I don't intend to DJ with any of it. My whole iTunes is populated with 192 rips of stuff that I will never DJ

youre supposed to use play lists. you just put ALL your music in itunes, and make playlists and then pull that off your main itunes.

then you can see your playlists in serato. like i have a breaks, funk, top40, house, womp, certain routines, etc into their own playlists.

that takes care of the keeping everything up to date.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

oredun posted:

youre supposed to use play lists. you just put ALL your music in itunes, and make playlists and then pull that off your main itunes.

then you can see your playlists in serato. like i have a breaks, funk, top40, house, womp, certain routines, etc into their own playlists.

that takes care of the keeping everything up to date.

Ah perfect! So I can just drop everything into iTunes, and pull only certain playlists into Serato, keeping loading times down. Perfect, thanks!

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Well, my S4 channel B is almost completely out. Seems like a common problem for a lot of people after almost a year of fairly regular use. The channel "creeps" up and down on its own and it's gone from manageable with a quick adjustment to practically unusable. Also one of my effects buttons is becoming really stiff.
Only known fix is to send it in for warranty, which Im very happy I still have, but I'm assuming the whole process will take a while.

For those wondering, I gig with this thing regularly and play it regularly, at least several days a week for a few hours each day, and I've had it for about 8 months now.

Time to burn CDs!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I want to upgrade the old rear end Caffeine record bag I've had for the last decade or so. I don't even use it for records any more. Sad, really. It's just barely not big enough to fit everything.

Anyone know anything about this: http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp ?
It's gotta fit a 2-channel mixer, 13" laptop, SSL interface, needle case, and all the other usual poo poo.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

JohnnyMondo posted:

You don't need to use iTunes at all to use Serato. Simple drag-and-drop works just fine if you'd rather not deal with iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vas0line posted:

Anyone know anything about this: http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp ?
It's gotta fit a 2-channel mixer, 13" laptop, SSL interface, needle case, and all the other usual poo poo.

I've got their Fader bag and it's really high quality. You probably can't fit a mixer in there though, I'd suggest you look at the internal dimensions.