Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

apparently hutts are hermaphrodites and swell up when they're pregnant.

e. this is the most EUist top of the page post. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I was pretty sure they used the Episode I CGI model (slightly retextured) for the Episode 4 scene, so there shouldn't really be a weight difference.

Now if you're talking about the "original" 1997 Special Edition, well, there's just absolutely no excuse for the downs syndrome Jabba they used in that one.

Really? Guess I was thinking of the one from 1997 because in my mind Jabba was pretty drat thin.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Decius posted:

I also like the battle on Naboo itself, the Jar-Jar antics aside. The problem is rather Jar-Jar, who is simply annoying the Gungans, the Jedi and the audience.

The most memorable things about the Naboo battle to me are the music when the droid army takes position and a scene where one of the shield generators that is mounted on random dinosaurs explodes, and the dinosaur is just standing there, not giving a gently caress.

I liked the music, but the reaction of the dinosaur to the shield generator on his back being blown up was pretty much my reaction to the entire scene.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Paragon8 posted:

apparently hutts are hermaphrodites and swell up when they're pregnant.

So Jabba was pregnant when Leia killed him?! :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pththya-lyi posted:

So Jabba was pregnant when Leia killed him?! :ohdear:

Just as well really, considering how retarded Zorba acted in those Jedi Prince books things would have just gotten worse from there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guys, we can all rest easy now. It has now been clarified: Greedo always shot first.

George Lucas posted:

The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

I don't know what I feel more: anger that Lucas is now resorting to blatant lying to justify his changes, or humor that his explanation is literally, "Greedo always shot first but I didn't have the technology to realize my vision until the special editions."

Another choice quote:

George Lucas posted:

If you look at Blade Runner, it’s been cut sixteen ways from Sunday and there are all kinds of different versions of it. Star Wars, there’s basically one version — it just keeps getting improved a little bit as we move forward.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw that on Gizmodo earlier :ughh:

This fucker shouldn't be allowed anywhere near his creation. He doesn't understand the charm of it in its original form. Nothing's being improved by adding terrible, out of place CGI to replace the awesome practical effects that were there in the first place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the weird thing is that there is a huge consensus that The Final Cut of Blade Runner is the best by far, and only made improvements to the material, instead of huge terrible changes.

who really suggests any of the other cuts to a new viewer?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

alg posted:

the weird thing is that there is a huge consensus that The Final Cut of Blade Runner is the best by far, and only made improvements to the material, instead of huge terrible changes.

who really suggests any of the other cuts to a new viewer?

There's actually some legitimate disagreement in how the different cuts try to cut the divide between the debate over whether or not Deckard is a replicant.

Nothing to the same level of "not getting it" as the changes to the OT and the entirety of the PT themselves demonstrate, of course.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Instead of seeing The Phantom Menace 3D in theaters tonight for opening night, I re-watched Plinkett's review of the movie on Red Letter Media. It really reinforces how much I absolutely hate this movie for not even achieving half of what it could have been, and how I have zero desire to ever watch it again.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan
Is the Plinkett TPM commentary track worth listening to?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Instead of seeing The Phantom Menace 3D in theaters tonight for opening night, I re-watched Plinkett's review of the movie on Red Letter Media. It really reinforces how much I absolutely hate this movie for not even achieving half of what it could have been, and how I have zero desire to ever watch it again.

A few years ago a few friends and I decided to rewatch Phantom Menace for shits and giggles. When it started I got kind of caught up in nostalgia for the pre-TPM hype. And for the first 15 minutes, it was fine, and I started to think maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Then literally the second Jar Jar showed up on screen, I lost all interest.

One thing that really struck me is how badly the podracing scene fared. I don't know if the effects are just really dated now, or if it was really just a lot more thrilling back in 1999, but I remember when I saw it in theaters, I thought it was at least one cool part. And I remember a lot of reviewers at the time talking about how great the podracing segment was. But in that rewatch, all I could think of was how tedious and dragging it was.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Saw it tonight with a goonette friend of mine, plenty of snide remarks throughout. At one point we thought we were watching a comedy, since we already knew when all the "wacky" parts were coming, particularly with Jar Jar.

Still a fun ride though. And does anyone else feel like there were twice as many podracing scenes added? I feel like they gave screen time to every single podracer when I don't think they did in the original. Also there's a part where Anakin's pod gets disconnected from his starboard engine and he's spinning around and has to use a claw thingy to reconnect...or was that in the original and I don't remember it?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Saw it tonight with a goonette friend of mine, plenty of snide remarks throughout. At one point we thought we were watching a comedy, since we already knew when all the "wacky" parts were coming, particularly with Jar Jar.

Still a fun ride though. And does anyone else feel like there were twice as many podracing scenes added? I feel like they gave screen time to every single podracer when I don't think they did in the original. Also there's a part where Anakin's pod gets disconnected from his starboard engine and he's spinning around and has to use a claw thingy to reconnect...or was that in the original and I don't remember it?

The extended podrace scenes have been in there since the dvd release, but weren't in the original or vhs release.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

alg posted:

I've only ever seen Blade Runner once in my life, so I'm really not the expert, but if I'm not mistaken one of the huge differences is that the original version (and several in between) are freely available on various box sets.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Suenteus Po posted:

Is the Plinkett TPM commentary track worth listening to?

It's not a commentary track, more sort of a video rant or a very weird kind of documentary.

And yes, a thousand times yes. Force yourself through the first five minutes to get used to the voice, the purposely crappy editing and over the hurdle of the "I'm a creepy old man who chains up hookers in his basement and killed his wife" persona shtick, and there's a real wealth of revelations in there by a guy who obviously knows his stuff about movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

alg posted:

This argument works in favor of Lucas though, because he is fully convinced that the next batch of changes will turn the Special Edition movies into the beautiful butterflies he always intended them to be, and then finally people will understand and agree that this is the best version like they did with Blade Runner.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Grendels Dad posted:

This argument works in favor of Lucas though, because he is fully convinced that the next batch of changes will turn the Special Edition movies into the beautiful butterflies he always intended them to be, and then finally people will understand and agree that this is the best version like they did with Blade Runner.

There is, however, a small group with the opinion that having the film show that Deckard is a replicant undermines most of the themes established throughout. For those people it is possible to quite easily obtain the original cut and watch that - they're not forced to hook up an ancient VCR and watch tapes released in 1996 or track down a laserdisc edition and a working player just to watch the version they prefer.

Even if people do wind up preferring the Star Wars: Global Hyperfighting Edition EX or whatever it gets called, not making the originals available is some combination of arrogance, stubbornness and rank stupidity on Lucas' part.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The best fix for the prequels would be just to make Naboo into Alderaan.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

The best fix for the prequels would be just to make Naboo into Alderaan.

With the rest of the plot remaining unchanged? I really don't see how that would fix anything.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's not a commentary track, more sort of a video rant or a very weird kind of documentary.

And yes, a thousand times yes. Force yourself through the first five minutes to get used to the voice, the purposely crappy editing and over the hurdle of the "I'm a creepy old man who chains up hookers in his basement and killed his wife" persona shtick, and there's a real wealth of revelations in there by a guy who obviously knows his stuff about movies.

I was asking about the new one, which is definitely a commentary track.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Suenteus Po posted:

My bad, but thanks for bringing this to my attention! I didn't know he had a new one.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

draize_train posted:

With the rest of the plot remaining unchanged? I really don't see how that would fix anything.

It just adds a better sense of context. It doesn't automatically make them better movies. They're terrible but it does fix some things.

For people seeing 4-6, having Naboo be Alderaan immediately gives it some weight and ties back into the narrative of the original trilogy rather than just being a coy reference that Lucas otherwise went for. It makes the narrow plot of the Trade Federation squeezing a planet out better because it introduces us to a planet we all know about but has little backstory.

For people new to star wars, it gives them emotional weight in episode 4 when they see a planet that they have spent a trilogy involved with being blown up. It also just fixes up some things like it makes more sense for Leia to go to a family on the same planet her mom is from rather than just a random senator from a planet we'd not had mentioned until then.

Finally it means all the Gunguns die.

Obviously it's not going to fix everything or really that much, but it is such a simple thing that I have no idea why Lucas didn't go with it to begin with.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chairman Capone posted:

Guys, we can all rest easy now. It has now been clarified: Greedo always shot first.

Sweet Space Jesus, this is 'Bagdad Bob' level of denying the historical record.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

Paragon8 posted:

For you SWTOR fans, how much better would it be if not only was Naboo actually Alderaan, but we can replace gungans with House Thule?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Suenteus Po posted:

Yes it is. It's sort of a weird hybrid between a Plinkett review and a riff track. He does go on bizarre tangents and sometimes the review goes quiet, but it's very funny.

I got more than $1.99 worth of entertainment out of it.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Man, those movie journalists are so soft, you know, no bite or anyth...

... :stare: Well, that's one one way to put it. What do you think about that now, George? Was it worth it? Do you feel you got your artistic vision across?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

For people new to star wars, it gives them emotional weight in episode 4 when they see a planet that they have spent a trilogy involved with being blown up.

These two cancel each other out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Cross-posting from the comic megathread.

I like the little AT-AT pilot helmet in the corner.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I managed to get a free ticket to the Phantom Menace thanks to a friend, and saw it at 4:15 yesterday afternoon. The theater was a little over 1/3 full (MAYBE approaching 1/2, but everybody was spread out) and I'd say it was 90% parents there with kids under the age of 10.

I only went because it was free, and it still wasn't really worth it. The 3D depth in some scenes was admittedly pretty neat, and I'm actually looking forward to being able to see the OT on the big screen again (not particularly happy about the circumstances, but oh well), but walking out of the building I felt like I had entered a time machine just to remind myself what it was like to have George Lucas punch 13 year old me in the balls all over again.

Edit: Is there some new post-credits thing added to this version? I read something earlier that made it sound like there's something other than the sound of Vader breathing like in the original release. I left almost as soon as it ended so I didn't stay for the entire credit sequence.

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 13, 2012

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Ouch... After hearing how the Vow and Safe House were going to dominate, I figured based on Friday's performance that TPM 3D would still be third, so they could start the whole, "See the #1 3D MOVIE in America!" adverts.

But thanks to Journey 2 beating it out, it can't even do that.

Maybe they'll do, "See the #1 STAR WARS MOVIE IN 3D in America!", instead. Technically, that's not a lie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Journey 2 beat TPM? :laugh:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Suenteus Po posted:

I wish I'd known about it before I went to the movie theater. :smith:

Oh well, at least it was an okay movie date.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
I saw a free industry screening of TPM3D last week. It hurt my brain so much I spent most of the second half of the movie mentally planning this 'shop: http://imgur.com/nXBRh

Fool me once, Lucas...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

megapuppy posted:

I saw a free industry screening of TPM3D last week. It hurt my brain so much I spent most of the second half of the movie mentally planning this 'shop: http://imgur.com/nXBRh

Fool me once, Lucas...

drat, I had erased what Gungans look like from my brain but gently caress, that poster makes me angry and sad again.

My Star Wars :smith:

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
I just saw this on Tumblr.

I'm so sorry you had to see that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That makes no sense. How would she have learned to forceghost?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I like the look of mild annoyance on her face myself.

Lady your son started a career as Space Himmler with killing a bunch of kids, betraying his friends and buddying up with Space Hitler.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know, I've been ruminating lately that Star Wars needs to be more terrible. I'm not sure why I feel this way. Maybe it's because I'd rather see the franchise put out of its misery than continue to watch it wallow like an 800 lb leperous gorilla in the room.

Bring Back Karen Traviss! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Despite their avowed liking of Karen Traviss's poo poo and ... SWTOR's storytelling ... I do heartily agree with their core assertion here: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/hope-springs-eternal-4th-panel

Sith-of-the-Week is still worse.

And Darth Andeddu has been there since near the very beginning of the modern EU.