Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

I feel your pain, that happened to me when I did a shoot at -22F and felt bad for the model and screwed up royally. I think you did far better than what I did. The scenery is awesome and they do seem into it. You're being harsh on yourself, which is good but you deserve a tap on the back for your good work :)

Next time just take it easy and see how they naturally react with the elements around them. My shoot consist of 30-40% "pose like that" and 60-70% of "wait stay exactly like that but raise your chin/look at me" :)

Edit: For example I was shooting this model

IMG_7831-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

She was kind of resting like that in between shots and since she's so skinny I saw it would work for her (usually having your arms close to your body makes you look wayyy bigger)... so I just told her right away "could you stay like that, cross your legs and slightly look my way"... *click*

I also like to see how people see/stand naturally... usually give you some ideas that you can go from which will reveal a lot from their character... since they usually look like that.

Yeah, it's been like +10 in Calgary all winter so of course the weekend they came down and we did this shoot, it was -22C or something. I did feel pretty rushed because of the cold, and my sister and her boyfriend were there too and I was too concerned about everyone being bored and stuff. I always say "take your time next time" and I always end up feeling rushed. Grrr.. Just keep practicing I guess.

I think the major saving grace of these is the scenery, for sure. It's so gorgeous out there, and I tried to incorporate it into as many photos as I could while still maintaining a more intimate feel. Unfortunately it was snowing, windy, super overcast so everything was just white or gray, but eh, could have been worse I suppose!

I like your suggestions on posing...the first shoot I did with them in the summer tended to go more that way. They just kind of did their own thing and it turned out feeling much more candid and intimate. Unfortunately it was like 2 months after I got my camera so the composition/focus/anything technical is just garbage. I am shooting some of their wedding photos so hopefully I can combine the two sessions into one super awesome session!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

I like your suggestions on posing...the first shoot I did with them in the summer tended to go more that way. They just kind of did their own thing and it turned out feeling much more candid and intimate. Unfortunately it was like 2 months after I got my camera so the composition/focus/anything technical is just garbage. I am shooting some of their wedding photos so hopefully I can combine the two sessions into one super awesome session!

Do it again like that and you'll see how you've progressed :) And for people I don't really know I found that going for a coffee beforehand makes a nice difference when I shoot them. But I guess it's a bit harder on us guys because I mostly do that to be like "See, I'm no creep." which helps when it comes to shooting.

Edit: A personnal favorite

IMG_7645 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 8, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

xenilk posted:

Do it again like that and you'll see how you've progressed :) And for people I don't really know I found that going for a coffee beforehand makes a nice difference when I shoot them. But I guess it's a bit harder on us guys because I mostly do that to be like "See, I'm no creep." which helps when it comes to shooting.

I go for coffee with models/clients, and they rarely call me back, or rip off the ideas we discuss. Does this mean I'm a creep?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

red19fire posted:

I go for coffee with models/clients, and they rarely call me back, or rip off the ideas we discuss. Does this mean I'm a creep?

I don't talk about my ideas over coffee just overall vibe of the shoot/how to dress/make up.

I'd be curious as to why they don't call you back tho, do you go over rates before meeting them?

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
A couple of cosplay shots which I took recently.

Kami Sama no Memo-chou: Alice by CorneliusK, on Flickr

Kami Sama no Memo-chou: Alice by CorneliusK, on Flickr

We were very tired by the time we took these shots, didn't turn out as nice as we hoped but the basic idea was there.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

red19fire posted:

Are you using Model Mayhem?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

Are you using Model Mayhem?

...yes. :negative:

They contact me to shoot their portfolios, we meet up to plan, then I never hear from them again.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

red19fire posted:

...yes. :negative:

They contact me to shoot their portfolios, we meet up to plan, then I never hear from them again.

Yeah that might be (and probably is) the problem, MM is flaky as hell. I go with friends/people in agencies/contacts that are studying in fashion school.

Another way that works is asking people blatantly, if you have somewhat of a portfolio to back you up it's pretty easy to pull off people that way.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

On another note it looks like I'll be shooting a model this month in a presidential suite while a production company will shoot a video using a RED Epic (insane camera that shoots in 5120x2700 RAW). Can't wait.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Whenever I feel discouraged by trying to shoot with agencies I'll check out model mayhem to cheer myself up immensely.

Obviously there are some good people there but you have to do a lot of legwork.

It's weird that someone would commit to meeting up for coffee but then not show up to a shoot. Do they give off a weird vibe at all?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I got bored of Model Mayhem really quickly after some girl chatted ideas with me and then promptly went elsewhere to try said idea out. Poorly. Can't be hosed with time wasters.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

I got bored of Model Mayhem really quickly after some girl chatted ideas with me and then promptly went elsewhere to try said idea out. Poorly. Can't be hosed with time wasters.

haha, the best is now I'm getting model mayhem people who have ignored my messages trying to chase me down for shoots. Yeah, I really think I'm going to give my time to someone who didn't have the courtesy to even say "no thanks"

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

haha, the best is now I'm getting model mayhem people who have ignored my messages trying to chase me down for shoots. Yeah, I really think I'm going to give my time to someone who didn't have the courtesy to even say "no thanks"

What's your MM url? People must go crazy over your stuff.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I haven't updated it in a while but http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/733482/

London is surprisingly terrible, I suppose it's that anyone worth anything is already agency repped.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I haven't updated it in a while but http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/733482/

London is surprisingly terrible, I suppose it's that anyone worth anything is already agency repped.

You assist Lara Jada? Very cool. I remember when I was a teenager and all she was doing was self portrait.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

You assist Lara Jada? Very cool. I remember when I was a teenager and all she was doing was self portrait.

hah, yeah. I've assisted a bunch of other people now though so that's fairly out of date. I normally only take paid assisting work now so I don't work with Lare too much now

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Teehee - excellent.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm looking to move to London in the Fall... I hope I can manage to find some good people to work with when I arrive. It sounds pretty iffy. :/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I'm looking to move to London in the Fall... I hope I can manage to find some good people to work with when I arrive. It sounds pretty iffy. :/

I think you should do pretty well, there's a pretty big alt scene and I think those girls are always willing to shoot with a competent photographer. Let me know when you're over here and I can point you towards some people!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

Yes, this is what happens to me. They even offer to pay me to shoot them! Meet up, discuss overall ideas, looks, locations, then never hear from them again. I'm willing to bet they've gotten a GWC to shoot exactly what we discussed.

Granted, I've worked with several models who have been professional and great, but the majority of MM is "I created a profile, now I'm a pro on par with Giselle/Klinko."

I basically need to build a better portfolio and move to a higher stratosphere. I was actually turned down for a job shooting for a modeling company because I'm "overqualified" and would want to be paid; instead they want an "intern" that will work for hours on end (12 models, 6 looks each) for free. So it's probably for the best.

Anyway, enough :qq:, hot off the press:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 9, 2012

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

IMG_3245 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_3218 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Boyfriend needed new photos for the company website. I like the expression in the second one best, but the lighting is a little flat. That being said, the right side of his face in the first one is too dark, I think. Good thing I bought a reflector so that I can forget to use it!

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_3245 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr
Boyfriend needed new photos for the company website. I like the expression in the second one best, but the lighting is a little flat. That being said, the right side of his face in the first one is too dark, I think. Good thing I bought a reflector so that I can forget to use it!
I don't think the light is flat at all, but on my monitor you've lost all detail in the jacket it's just a glob of black. But maybe it's just my monitor. I like the lighting, very clean.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

red19fire posted:

I basically need to build a better portfolio and move to a higher stratosphere. I was actually turned down for a job shooting for a modeling company because I'm "overqualified" and would want to be paid; instead they want an "intern" that will work for hours on end (12 models, 6 looks each) for free. So it's probably for the best.

That's exactly what I did for the first three days of this week and, man, I feel sorry for the poor sap who does that for free, because it's a long day.

As for building a portfolio - just shoot everyone who is willing to be shot, post on here, get crit, shoot some more!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Carrotflowers, I think your light source is a bit high. You're getting shadows in your subject's eye sockets. You really don't want that for this type of headshot.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

red19fire posted:

Pull back a little, really tight CUs are nice and easy and all but a wider shot can convey so much more about the subject.

Demi-2 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Additionally, try some location work, reflected natural light is so much kinder on people (most of the time) than artificial light.
On that note: How's my traditional portraiture? An actor wanted some headshots done, excuse the frizzy hair, the humidity was thick enough to cut. Second image was more of a candid that I sent along anyway.

I so rarely shoot normalcy that I have to admit lacking the crutch of some ridiculously flashy subject matter was a tad hard.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 9, 2012

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Mathturbator posted:

I don't think the light is flat at all, but on my monitor you've lost all detail in the jacket it's just a glob of black. But maybe it's just my monitor. I like the lighting, very clean.

drat, that's what I was trying to avoid. It looks okay on mine but I've had issues with my monitor before. I'll try to check it out on a different one.

McMadCow posted:

Carrotflowers, I think your light source is a bit high. You're getting shadows in your subject's eye sockets. You really don't want that for this type of headshot.

Yeah I see what you mean. I don't know why I always put my light source so high. I'll try it again this weekend.

Thanks for the input, guys. Always appreciated!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_3218 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

It's 90% there but I think that the 2nd photo would benefit greatly from moving the light source a little lower, slightly more frontal, and consider bouncing some light back into his face.

His left eye is nearly all a big blob of shadow in the first photo and better in the 2nd.

Overall I think the shadows are too dark and as mentioned previously, my monitor displays his jacket, 3/4 of his hair and some of his eyes as a big black blob. Your highlights look good and nothing seems to be blown out but if you lighten those shadows a bit everything else will feel a little less harsh.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Just for the record Carrotflowers, I can see some detail in that jacket. It's not as much of a glob of black on my monitor. Could probably do with being slightly lighter, though.

Shot from yesterday which I thought was nice, although it's more to do with the hair and make up / accessories than my input:

Today's editorial was a disaster and I'd rather not talk about it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Today's editorial was a disaster and I'd rather not talk about it.

Why do we fall, master bruce? so we can learn to pick ourselves up.

A good way to look at a bad shoot is that you tend to learn more from them than the good ones.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

Why do we fall, master bruce? so we can learn to pick ourselves up.

A good way to look at a bad shoot is that you tend to learn more from them than the good ones.

Thank you, and yes, you're right - I did learn some really important things from it: mainly that I should spend 20% of the interview time getting interview shots and 80% of the interview time looking for locations that look visually interesting. It's not a jolly and no matter how much I want to listen to the interview, I have a job to do.

They're not that awful now I've stopped being an insufferable artist and told myself "dude - it's a 60-odd year old businessman in a tiny office with 5 to 10 minutes to work with - what did you expect to get?" - they're just not very interesting at all. *shrug*

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Thank you, and yes, you're right - I did learn some really important things from it: mainly that I should spend 20% of the interview time getting interview shots and 80% of the interview time looking for locations that look visually interesting. It's not a jolly and no matter how much I want to listen to the interview, I have a job to do.

They're not that awful now I've stopped being an insufferable artist and told myself "dude - it's a 60-odd year old businessman in a tiny office with 5 to 10 minutes to work with - what did you expect to get?" - they're just not very interesting at all. *shrug*

Look at it this way - you probably took the best photograph of that guy that has ever been taken.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I wasn't going to post anything from it but I thought I'd put up the headshot, because I realised that not feeling like posting a shot means I should probably definitely post it, if you see what I mean? This isn't Flickr, after all - well, I'm hosting it there, but youknowwhatImeanjeez

Basically, when I'm scared a client won't be pleased with my results, I turn to :siren::siren:PROCESSING!!!!!:siren::siren: as a means of distraction.

And here's some light relief to make us all feel a little better:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

I wasn't going to post anything from it but I thought I'd put up the headshot, because I realised that not feeling like posting a shot means I should probably definitely post it, if you see what I mean? This isn't Flickr, after all - well, I'm hosting it there, but youknowwhatImeanjeez

Basically, when I'm scared a client won't be pleased with my results, I turn to :siren::siren:PROCESSING!!!!!:siren::siren: as a means of distraction.

And here's some light relief to make us all feel a little better:

I think you're being hard on yourself. I'm sure your client will love it :)

Not to be picky but on the left picture of Jade her chin has 3 odd colored spots, I think those could be safely removed :P

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
These any better? I'm going to try to reshoot this weekend, but figured I'd give it a shot in post.

IMG_3218-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_3245-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CarrotFlowers posted:

Personally, I prefer more contrasty, short lighting for men; but for a vanilla office portrait, I think these are both pretty spot on.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Gazmachine posted:

That's exactly what I did for the first three days of this week and, man, I feel sorry for the poor sap who does that for free, because it's a long day.

As for building a portfolio - just shoot everyone who is willing to be shot, post on here, get crit, shoot some more!

Yes. I just took out 5 girls from my part-time job, did 2 looks each with a hair stylist/make-up artist and spent a good 13 hours on set (the stylist was supposed to have an assistant, but she never showed...). I can't imagine doing that on someone else's expectations and not get paid for it.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Gazmachine posted:

This is not bad at all, you nailed the focus, DOF and you've got a very pleasing ratio between his face and the framing (background, sweater). I think you did a pretty good job :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

CarrotFlowers posted:

These any better? I'm going to try to reshoot this weekend, but figured I'd give it a shot in post.

IMG_3218-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Much better, my taste personally would be to still bring in just a touch more detail to the jacket but you can see the lapels on his jacket now so thats already big improvement over last time. His eyes also seemed to gain a little bit of color (which is good).

Looks good.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Thank you, you lovely folk. They were basically fine with it - I think I was far more bothered by it than anyone else, client included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A couple more new ones from me; a co-worker who's leaving the company shortly.

mister abate by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr