Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sole.Sushi posted:

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, allow me to elaborate:
The Oath Thread for the last couple of pages causes my web-browsing to slow down to a pace a snail would laugh at. Just that thread. No other websites or threads in the forums.

I haven't had any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
It could just be me then.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
No problems here either... tried clearing your cache and temp stuff?

Does anyone know if there are pictures of primed models with washes on them? I'm looking for what the different washes look like on a primed white models.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

No problems here either... tried clearing your cache and temp stuff?

Does anyone know if there are pictures of primed models with washes on them? I'm looking for what the different washes look like on a primed white models.

http://www.awesomepaintjob.com/index.cfm/resources.recipes has pictures of his washes on stuff

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hixson posted:

First time I've actually put any effort into painting aything. They still need basing, and the helmet lenses need painted. Otherwise I'm pretty proud of them.

Tear my hard work apart!

rest here -
http://imgur.com/a/NWGRq#2N40q

I don't care for the dudes with the pure white helmets, the faceplates need to be black I think. Otherwise you did a pretty great job. Black's a tough color to highlight, and you nailed it. The effect is a little off on the close up photos, maybe try a mid-highlight between the black and the highlight you're using to take a bit of the edge off of your lines?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sykic posted:

Decided to finally get off my rear end and paint some more, ended up with this.

First ever attempt at a face and cloth too. Aside from figuring out what to write on it, fixing a few tiny errors, and giving it a bit more wash, it's pretty much finished. I like to think I'm getting better at this :shobon:.

You are. You're well above being tournament legal ("tabletop" quality, as in can be literally fingerpainted so long as three colors are on the model). This is good enough to get the grudging respect of whatever resident :reject: is selling lazily drybrushed figures out of the store at twice their legitimate value (every store will have one at some point).

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
(nearly-finished) WIP: Gobber Bellows Team

The guy on the right needs some work on his goggles and teeth, along with some cleanup/better highlighting on the skintone and some weathering on the bellows/tank.

Bases are still unfinished, need shading highlights, and maybe a bit of static grass.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

My most recent painting:

Mantis Warriors Rhino I painted for a broham. In total I'll be doing ~12 Rhino chassis vehicles for him. He's doing the MW logo with a custom decal, to be added to the side hatch.

If you don't pop out the hatch and add a techmarine with a red and white mullet I will find you and end you because seriously:

To give some C&C rather than just take the piss: I think you need to get some more grime on there. It's chipped to hell but otherwise pristine and that looks kinda weird. It might just be that you were planning to do that after the markings were on.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

UnsubRedun posted:

As long as it's relevant to painting/sculpting, are we cool on posting "concept art" here? I want to do another sculpt, to make a dude as a stand-in for Marbo that matches my army's theme. Like a ninja-nomad sort of dude, but I want goon feedback before I go in and make something balls-to-the-walls stupid.

I only want mildly stupid, here.

My Morbo is kind of a guardsman Bane. I don't have a photo of just him be he is in the bottom right of this photo.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Maybe I'm using the wrong term, allow me to elaborate:
The Oath Thread for the last couple of pages causes my web-browsing to slow down to a pace a snail would laugh at. Just that thread. No other websites or threads in the forums.

Because people timg 24563245x2563425 photos and your browser still has to render them. I get pretty laggy too when people post like 12 photos in a row that aren't resized.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Naramyth posted:

My Morbo is kind of a guardsman Bane. I don't have a photo of just him be he is in the bottom right of this photo.

I'm more digging the guy on the left with one arm in a sling and the other in a Power Fist.

"Doc, I don't know what an ulna is let alone how I broke it. Just gimme a Fist and put me back in!"

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!

Naramyth posted:

Because people timg 24563245x2563425 photos and your browser still has to render them. I get pretty laggy too when people post like 12 photos in a row that aren't resized.

Oops! that would be me then, will edit that post.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Shallow posted:

Did I ever post my battlescape? I don't think I did. Slap me around in a couple of days if I still haven't.

Oi Shallow, you lazy bastard. Post your battlescape.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't care for the dudes with the pure white helmets, the faceplates need to be black I think. Otherwise you did a pretty great job. Black's a tough color to highlight, and you nailed it. The effect is a little off on the close up photos, maybe try a mid-highlight between the black and the highlight you're using to take a bit of the edge off of your lines?

Thanks for the advice. I got some Dire Avengers on the way that I'm going to paint up the same way. I'll give it a try.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
gently caress you Maelok and your millions of little details. I'm calling you done.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

PaintVagrant posted:

VGC scurf green. Dont have image links to the pics, they are all imgur. This thread has em all tho

http://www.focusandfury.com/forum/index.php?topic=2547.0

i'm now tempted to do tyranids with jade armor...

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Arlaharen posted:

gently caress you Maelok and your millions of little details. I'm calling you done.

Looks like I get to be the first to say how ridiculous(ly amazing) this is.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah thats a great model. If you get a chance can you post your entire army Arlaharen?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Arlaharen posted:

:aaaaa: Wow! Nice job

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah thats a great model. If you get a chance can you post your entire army Arlaharen?

Can do, black tide incoming!

Warlocks

(Barnabas with Wrastler cameo appearance)

Warbeasts

Units

Solos

Now I'm just witing for the Swamp Horror and the Witch Doctor :dance:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Arg, why must I follow such a great painter with a better lighting setup :(

As I'm starting in Skaven shortly, I decided to repaint a Grey Seer I'd used as a D&D model about 8 years ago. It's lost a bit of the detail because I was impatient and just painted over the original coats instead of stripping it properly but I think it turned out okay.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm more digging the guy on the left with one arm in a sling and the other in a Power Fist.

"Doc, I don't know what an ulna is let alone how I broke it. Just gimme a Fist and put me back in!"

I actually have a dude almost exactly like that :v:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's the logical conclusion of the Cadian Command box:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Anyone want a lovely cellphone picture of a chaos unit of Death Cult Assassins with Crusader bodyguard?

I love the way the "warriors of chaos" look. and since I don't need to rank up I can turn the hands and heads to make much more dynamic poses.

These are so damned cool. How's the whole cultist army looking? The other shots of it were equally :krad:

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Edit 2: I need art help! If anyone would like to help with the contest's art, avatars or whatever, please let me know!
New Oath thread is sounding awesome. If you need any help, I'm happy to chuck a few models in/ do basic counting/ suggest stupid productive ideas for the irongobs. I've got no idea how to work MS paint though.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 11, 2012

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Naramyth posted:

He looks rad. Dig the ripper pistol conversion.

Naramyth posted:

Cthulu Carl posted:

ghetto wormhole posted:

I actually have a dude almost exactly like that :v:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This was the first mini I ever made for my army.

This is some freaky hivemind poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have been using ethanol to strip paint from my stuff, but it took a lot of scrubbing and didn't do squat to enamel paints. I was wondering about the whole thing about using Simple Green to strip paint, do any of you guys know which ingredient does the magic?

I was tired of the scrubbing and ethanol, so I tried an old trick used for cleaning decades worth of paint off of furniture. "Brown soap" (also known as "green soap" and "crystal soap" depending on your nationality) is a thick, sticky gel-like brown goop containing such delightful ingredients as potassium carbonate, sodium hydroxide (lye) and potassium hydroxide, ph is about 13-14. It's basically the soapiest soap that ever soaped.

Miniatures were slathered in the stuff for full coverage and then stuffed in a ziploc bag. Less than 24 hours I rinsed off most the paint under gently running warm water. Only a tiny bit of scrubbing to work paint out of various recesses was needed.

Keep in mind that these particular orks and ogryn had been painted in old-school enamel colors first and later painted over with acrylics, both liberally applied. I'm a convert, no more ethanol+scrubbing for me, I'll let :science: do the work!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Old school Gorkamorka Orks FTW. I have so many of those bits knocking around in my bits box, the Orks from that era have so much character. The Slaver guy with the whip and catchpole is one on my list for painting just cos he's fun.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

"Brown soap" (also known as "green soap" and "crystal soap" depending on your nationality)

Thats amazing, now where the hell do I get some?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

"Brown soap" (also known as "green soap" and "crystal soap" depending on your nationality)
This can actually strip paint? I'm so testing this today.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saalkin posted:

Thats amazing, now where the hell do I get some?

I have no idea, it seems to be mostly unknown outside of northern Europe. We mostly use it for cleaning tile floors, plastic surfaces and soap-treated wood, but it can be used to clean most things or even your dishes if you're adventurous. Just don't clean any painted surfaces with it, obviously ;)

If it help, it's a soy or linseed oil-based soap (30-40% soap by weight). The rest of the ingredients are water, potassium carbonate, potassium hydroxide, potassium silicate and sodium hydroxide, in that order. From my limited chemistry experience, I believe the hydroxides are the active ingredients when it comes to paint stripping.

Pierzak posted:

This can actually strip paint? I'm so testing this today.

I've stripped 20+ layers of paint off of woodwork using it. It needs to be wrapped or bagged in something airtight for best results. I believe it works pretty drat well as an oven cleaner, too. Just smear it on and leave a bowl of ammonium hydroxide inside the closed oven for 8-12 hours. Hey presto, no more baked-on grease!

Remember that it absolutely has to be the thick gel stuff that comes in tubs. The liquid stuff is no good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 12, 2012

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Flamers of Tzeentch! This was my first time using a fluid retarder for blending, to get the blue-white transition. It isn't the smoothest, but I learned a lot!

Group shot with bonus WIP Plaguebearers in background.

And I had Kharn sitting around so I decided to paint him too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Red Shoe posted:

The Flamers are really good, but this is exceptional, I wish I could paint my Berzerkers to that standard :)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

The Supreme Court posted:

New Oath thread is sounding awesome. If you need any help, I'm happy to chuck a few models in/ do basic counting/ suggest stupid productive ideas for the irongobs. I've got no idea how to work MS paint though.

Things have been coming together quite nicely so far so I'm good on my spreadsheet and art help now. Always willing to hear ideas and gladly take more stuff for the goblin grab bag! Drop me a line at the_modern_knight at hot mail dot com

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This thread makes me want to give up.

PV, what colour did you use for the aqua/surf green on this guy? I want to do up some marines in a similar colour scheme. http://tinyurl.com/83yj9wk

I'm getting a few AoBR tactical marines to round out my chaos squads - how hard will it be to file the eagles of their chests? What kinda tools will I need?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

KozmoNaut posted:

The Flamers are really good, but this is exceptional, I wish I could paint my Berzerkers to that standard :)

Thanks! I cut a few corners on the normal berzerkers compared to Kharn.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA loving awesome.

UnsubRedun posted:

He looks rad. Dig the ripper pistol conversion.

This was the first mini I ever made for my army.

This is some freaky hivemind poo poo.

:frogc00l:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I picked up some liquid green stuff and Im really liking it. Im using it to fill gaps on my grey knights and its working well.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Red Shoe posted:

I have models just sitting around... you want to paint those? :smug:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Quick and dirty Grey Knights itt:

These are for a commission I'm doing locally. The client asked me to keep them super simple, so he could try to recreate the paintjobs himself on other models. These were all already assembled, primed, and basecoated by the client.

I've got 6 or 7 GKT + Draigo, a dozen power armor dudes, two FW rifleman dreads, and a vindicare yet to do. Totally going to be over my desire to make a GK army of my own when this is done. :negative:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

field balm posted:

PV, what colour did you use for the aqua/surf green on this guy? I want to do up some marines in a similar colour scheme. http://tinyurl.com/83yj9wk

It's toothpaste, Crest I believe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I have models just sitting around... you want to paint those? :smug:

Only if I can keep them afterwards!

• Locked thread