Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sab669 posted:

And even if I did, I dunno... what would I contribute? I guess I lack confidence in my abilities even though I'd say I'm ahead of most of my fellow students.

Most projects on Github that are actively maintained probably have a long list of bugs or to-do items in the "Issues" list.

Find an open source project you like or use a lot and see if there's anything in the issues list that looks like it could be a low-hanging fruit. Or even just fix or cleanup some documentation if you see it.

To make the change, what's customary is that you "fork" the repository in Github, which is an exact clone of the repository as maintained by the project owner, except you own the fork. You check that out and push your changes back into your own fork.

Then, you create a "pull request," which basically is a message to the project maintainer to tell them "hey I've got a fix for issue #1234," and they can pull your changes from your fork into the master branch of the project. And at that point your name is enshrined in the commit history for that project forever and you can be all proud that you've contributed to a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

So I had my first ever interview today for an industry placement year in my degree. It went pretty well thanks so some of the great tips in this thread!

One thing that came up was the need to create a website to portfolio my work and the fact that it will be useful for future interviews. It was made pretty clear its a good idea. Does any one know a good way to go about this? Would a wordpress style blog do or would a more professional approach be appropriate?

The other thing I took away was the ability to code is utterly irrelevant if you cant vocalise it. Its a good idea to make sure you can verbalise the processes within your code well.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 11, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

jiggerypokery posted:

One thing that came up was the need to create a website to portfolio my work and the fact that it will be useful for future interviews. It was made pretty clear its a good idea. Does any one know a good way to go about this? Would a wordpress style blog do or would a more professional approach be appropriate?

What would a "more professional" approach be???

Just throw your code up on github.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jiggerypokery posted:

Are you a web developer then? The issue is that the line between developer and designer is fuzzy. As a designer, you almost necessarily need a visual portfolio of websites, but as a developer this is less important for even moderate scale web development. Along those lines, as a developer a wordpress blog is not a good demonstration of capabilities, but a well designed site could illustrate a number of design principles.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

baquerd posted:

Are you a web developer then? The issue is that the line between developer and designer is fuzzy. As a designer, you almost necessarily need a visual portfolio of websites, but as a developer this is less important for even moderate scale web development. Along those lines, as a developer a wordpress blog is not a good demonstration of capabilities, but a well designed site could illustrate a number of design principles.

Audio Software actually, its all C++.

Im just wondering how much time/effort to put in to the website, how to design it etc. (time that could otherwise be spent developing the content)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

jiggerypokery posted:

Audio Software actually, its all C++.

Im just wondering how much time/effort to put in to the website, how to design it etc. (time that could otherwise be spent developing the content)

None. Just throw up raw HTML, not really any CSS, put some .tar.gz files of code there. Actually just have a github or bitbucket profile and some links to that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

shrughes posted:

None. Just throw up raw HTML, not really any CSS, put some .tar.gz files of code there. Actually just have a github or bitbucket profile and some links to that.

Github or Bitbucket are really the way to go. If interviewers ask you for code samples (or really, if you're proud of your code, find a way to bring up the fact that you have samples), just point them to your online repository. These sites are simple, clean, and display code just beautifully. Don't waste a minute of your time designing a website when these sites do exactly what you want so very, very well.

I'm convinced having my code on GitHub and showing it to my interviewer, as low-quality as the code was, contributed to me landing my current job. There's no reason not to do it unless your code is just a terrible mess of spaghetti and no comments or indentation. And if it is, shame on you.

BitBucket lets you host private code for free, GitHub is only free for open source, so keep that in mind.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I have begun my job search for an entry level software developer position post graduation and I am wondering how much salary I should be looking for. I live in Pittsburgh and it seems that the average entry level is in the 50's which seems low relative what most people said in this thread. But it kind of makes sense since the standard of living in Pittsburgh is so cheap compared to other major cities.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Don Mega posted:

I have begun my job search for an entry level software developer position post graduation and I am wondering how much salary I should be looking for. I live in Pittsburgh and it seems that the average entry level is in the 50's which seems low relative what most people said in this thread. But it kind of makes sense since the standard of living in Pittsburgh is so cheap compared to other major cities.

50k for fresh out of college is about what you would expect nowadays if you graduated with maybe an internship and an OK academic record and no real experience.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

hieronymus posted:

50k for fresh out of college is about what you would expect nowadays if you graduated with maybe an internship and an OK academic record and no real experience.

No it isn't. It's about $10k below market for anything besides webapp and glorified accounting garbage, even for places with a low cost of living.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Don Mega posted:

Look at salary.com, and ask other fresh graduates in your area what they're making (if they'll tell you). Salaries vary so much from region to region, it's impossible for anyone outside your immediate vicinity to tell you what's reasonable. Small employers tend to pay less, as well.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Okay so I've been out of college for a while but I'm looking for a new job. Nearly every single company I've applied to has asked me a binary (search) tree question. Almost every single question about binary trees that you can find on Interview Websites I've been asked already (short of asking about balanced trees).

One company had me do an initial code sample, and two interviews where the programming portion was about BSTs. Granted what I gleaned about what they were doing I assumed part of the work involved Decision Trees. But all the other companies have asked me about binary trees, and while I understand their importance, I'm not sure why these companies want someone who can do a BST interview problem (as oppose to say making sure I understand what hashing does or asking me about sorting run-time, iteration/recursion and space/time tradeoffs.)

So my question is this: the only reason I have any depth of knowledge about binary trees was because I took the two AP tests while they were still in C++ and we must have gone over BTs and BSTs multiple times. Do they still teach BSTs in the Java version of the AP test? Do students in CS programs in college even deal with BSTs all that much? I can think of a couple of instances off the top of my head where they were used (decision trees for AI, and parts of my data structures class) and in those classes students were just expected to understand the concept of trees.

Obviously there are differences across different CS programs but I definitely don't remember that much time being taught about binary trees in comparison to how often a question about them comes up in Interviews. Any current students want to chime in on whether you even do coding assignments involving trees?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The whole second half of my data structures course was trees, starting with the general concept and going all the way to red-black. We had to implement several types for projects (this was all in Java.) The course was taught as if we hadn't heard of them before, so I think that's where they like to introduce the topic. This was at a state school, though, so I don't know how it's done at MIT or the like.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
BSTs are covered by every CS program, and everybody has (or should have) heard of them and written some code around them. Even if you haven't, they're easily explained. They're also a good way to ask a question for which any reasonable person would use recursion. At both companies I've worked at they're just trivial introductory questions that filter out the completely retarded. People that get flummoxed by BSTs won't be able to work with other kinds of trees and really suck at programming and life in general.

Trees are, after all, very important in CS and for inventing new data structures and also mundane things like directory traversal and HTML.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I didn't really mention them being difficult, just that they were asked more often than other types of problems. Maybe they're the right amount of difficulty that they can be asked and answered within a certain time period.

I'll try and find some college friends and see if we did as little as I thought on binary trees or if its just because those classes were from about 10 years ago. Honestly I remember the concept of binary trees being drilled into my head more in high school than in college.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I just finished my Ph.D. in Computational Science from a state university and I can't put myself through teaching another College Algebra or Micrsoft Office class. I want to see what there is in the private sector I can do. Preferably in a major city or outside of the US would be fine with me as well. This looks like the best thread for advice, so I would like to ask, what companies should I know about or what resources are best for finding a job in the high-performance computing industry? I'm most familiar with large-scale parallel (MPI) programming. I'm stoked on anything remotely related though (until it hopefully becomes my job).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SimpleCoax posted:

I just finished my Ph.D. in Computational Science from a state university and I can't put myself through teaching another College Algebra or Micrsoft Office class. I want to see what there is in the private sector I can do. Preferably in a major city or outside of the US would be fine with me as well. This looks like the best thread for advice, so I would like to ask, what companies should I know about or what resources are best for finding a job in the high-performance computing industry? I'm most familiar with large-scale parallel (MPI) programming. I'm stoked on anything remotely related though (until it hopefully becomes my job).

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but I mean, there are plenty of resources at hand.
Monster, Dice, Indeed, hell even Craigslist has some job postings
Your school's Career Services Department should have work as well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Some of the bigger companies have research divisions that aim for PhDs (MS and IBM come to mind), and I hear Google loves people who've been to grad school.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but I mean, there are plenty of resources at hand.
Monster, Dice, Indeed, hell even Craigslist has some job postings
Your school's Career Services Department should have work as well.

I'm just very ignorant to trying to find jobs not in a specific location. I've never searched for a job on a global scale. I feel like I have to do this city by city and find companies that do scientific computational type work. I'm not sure of the best way to go about that. I am curious if there are other sites like hpcwire.com and if there are companies that exist that aren't as well known as IBM and Google but also do this type of work. I realize the question is quite general, but I'm just beginning to explore my resources, such as the knowledge in these forums.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

SimpleCoax posted:

I'm just very ignorant to trying to find jobs not in a specific location. I've never searched for a job on a global scale. I feel like I have to do this city by city and find companies that do scientific computational type work. I'm not sure of the best way to go about that. I am curious if there are other sites like hpcwire.com and if there are companies that exist that aren't as well known as IBM and Google but also do this type of work. I realize the question is quite general, but I'm just beginning to explore my resources, such as the knowledge in these forums.

I would approach this in a couple of different angles. First, go talk to your PhD adviser about companies that do what your PhD is aimed toward. Talk to your on campus recruitment department and/or your college and see if they have companies that hire from your school or posted job openings.

Make a resume and have it looked over by your schools job placement department or hire a resume service (there is one on SA that is good and inexpensive). Then post your resume on Dice, Career Builder, Monster, StackOverflow Careers, etc. and be prepared to filter out a lot of crap recruiters. You will get recruiters calling for jobs all over the U.S. Use indeed.com tp start searching for jobs in part of the county/world you are interested in. Also, setup keyword searches that are e-mailed to you daily in places you'd like to live. Also, apply to big name companies (IBM, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc) and see if they are hiring.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

gariig posted:

I would approach this in a couple of different angles. First, go talk to your PhD adviser about companies that do what your PhD is aimed toward. Talk to your on campus recruitment department and/or your college and see if they have companies that hire from your school or posted job openings.

Make a resume and have it looked over by your schools job placement department or hire a resume service (there is one on SA that is good and inexpensive). Then post your resume on Dice, Career Builder, Monster, StackOverflow Careers, etc. and be prepared to filter out a lot of crap recruiters. You will get recruiters calling for jobs all over the U.S. Use indeed.com tp start searching for jobs in part of the county/world you are interested in. Also, setup keyword searches that are e-mailed to you daily in places you'd like to live. Also, apply to big name companies (IBM, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc) and see if they are hiring.

Thank you. This is the type of advice I am hoping for. Just like when doing research, I'm trying not to wind up skipping over any resources that could help me out because I was unaware. I was also skeptical of sites like Monster having a bad signal to noise ratio like how Craig's List is so full of scams now.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005
Has anyone interviewed at Amazon recently?

I am getting flown out there on Friday for a on-site Software Development Manager position and was curious if anyone had any hints on what to brush up on. I haven't interviewed anywhere in 7 years.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

My SDE onsite with them in September wasn't all that different from the phone interviews I had (except, of course, that they take all day rather than run just 45 minutes), so if my experience is anything to go on, if you've made it thus far you're on your way. Good luck!

edit: on re-reading your post, I realized that the onsite might be the first interview for you. If it is, this link has a set of typical Amazoney interview-type questions; even though it's old I had a representative sample from all the categories at some point while I was interviewing with them.

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 20, 2012

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005
Wow I simply could not have hoped for a better answer :).

They sort of blindsided me I wasn't even looking for a job but they found me on Stack Overflow and the recruiter was rather compelling. But now that I have made it this far I am excited about the opportunity and don't want to blow it.

The vast majority of questions so far have been "soft skills" type of questions like what is my management style, how do I deal with difficult deadlines and only a couple of technical questions. Design a database for a meter reader system and design a cache that will be hit a bazillion times a second, but it wasn't anything to difficult.

If you don't mind me asking did you get an offer? What was the culture like there? Is it as bad as glassdoor makes it seem?

Sorry to bombard you. I live in Boulder, Co currently so my ties to Seattle are very limited and no one I know has any answers. The offer is going to have to be pretty sweet to get me to move out that way I think.

Edit: ohh sorry I didn't make it clear what interview I was on. I had one phone call with the recruiter followed by 2 phone screens with other Software Development Managers.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Yeah, they gave me an offer but I ended up turning it down for a bunch of reasons. I was reasonably impressed with what I saw at the onsite interview, though - the manager and engineers that interviewed me seemed good, and best of all the food at the internal cafeteria's way better than Google's :v:

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005
Cool. Thank you for the info.

I am a little bummed that they said that for these two positions I am interviewing for neither one of them will allow me to write any code due to time constraints. Will be the first time in 10 years or so I won't be writing code on the job if I get it :(... I'm getting old.

I guess that is what opensource is for!

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

SimpleCoax posted:

Thank you. This is the type of advice I am hoping for. Just like when doing research, I'm trying not to wind up skipping over any resources that could help me out because I was unaware. I was also skeptical of sites like Monster having a bad signal to noise ratio like how Craig's List is so full of scams now.

If you've got a PhD, I would not post your resume on a public forum. Surely you did some work with industry or government people who funded your degree, right? Just ask around in those circles.

I would think you'd either want to be at a government facility like https://www.hpcmo.hpc.mil or at a contract research company like SRI or Lincoln labs. There are plenty of places, but they all recruit PhDs with specific degrees for projects they're working on, so they wouldn't bother sifting Monster for such a tiny set of people.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Might as well ask this as well. I am interviewing onsite at Twitter, anyone gone up to their offices to interview?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

Mniot posted:

If you've got a PhD, I would not post your resume on a public forum. Surely you did some work with industry or government people who funded your degree, right? Just ask around in those circles.

I would think you'd either want to be at a government facility like https://www.hpcmo.hpc.mil or at a contract research company like SRI or Lincoln labs. There are plenty of places, but they all recruit PhDs with specific degrees for projects they're working on, so they wouldn't bother sifting Monster for such a tiny set of people.

Thanks for the reply. I have worked at a national laboratory, but I feel that hasn't really given me much insight into the private sector. Although I'm not dead set on the private sector. I'm open to anything that might be interesting work. I'm curious, what would you think are the disadvantages to posting my resume publicly? I've honestly never searched for jobs elsewhere before. So far I've fallen into them by knowing someone, for better or for worse I guess.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

SimpleCoax posted:

Thanks for the reply. I have worked at a national laboratory, but I feel that hasn't really given me much insight into the private sector. Although I'm not dead set on the private sector. I'm open to anything that might be interesting work. I'm curious, what would you think are the disadvantages to posting my resume publicly? I've honestly never searched for jobs elsewhere before. So far I've fallen into them by knowing someone, for better or for worse I guess.

See the recruiter thread. You will be inundated with jobs that you are probably way over qualified for.

Will you get some valid positions, probably .... but more than likely you will get so many "Come work for 6 months and copy html pages" type of work that it will make you change your email address.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Hey, thread. I'm an 18-year freshman at a terrible joke of a community college (thanks for slacking off and getting a 2.8 GPA going into applications high school me :argh:), of course hoping to transfer in the future. Problem is, there's no way for me to get an actual CS education until I can transfer, which would be in Spring or Fall 2013.

Right now, I'm unemployed and pretty goddamn broke. I had a seasonal retail job, but it killed my time to learn and code. I'd rather not have to go back to Geek Squad anytime soon, so I'm wondering: is it worth trying to pursue freelance projects, or should I try for some sort of part-time, entry level job or paid internship position now instead? I'm in the Atlanta area, so there's not quite the same amount of opportunities available as elsewhere, but I've at least seen freelance jobs on Craigslist :v:

I'm focused pretty much entirely on web development on the moment, because that seems to be a niche that's working for me. I'm enjoying what I guess is called "front-end development," a mixture of heavy JavaScript (MVC frameworks like Backbone and Ember) and designing UIs/templates. I've done some small scale projects, and released a (now-abandoned) Chrome app that got some press and around 5k users senior year of high school, which was neat. I've also got some Django experience, mostly coding views and doing templates with a partner who did much of the backend stuff.

I think I could handle freelance projects with my skillset, but I am unsure if I could even get an interview for an entry-level job or an internship. Again, freshman at a bad community college. Is it worth pursuing, or should I just lay low and try to get freelance jobs or, god help me, another retail job for now?

The other thing is, I have zero formal background. If you dropped me in front of a whiteboard and asked me a real conceptual problem I'd probably just curl up in the fetal position. So I'm wondering what the best, cheap way to self-teach myself more advanced skills - data structures, algorithms, etc. - so that I can do well at interviews for internships, maybe not this summer (as nice as that would be) but at least by this time next year. I know that a front-end position probably wouldn't require as much of this, but I have to assume it would be at least partially expected.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Anal Tributary posted:

Hey, thread. I'm an 18-year freshman at a terrible joke of a community college (thanks for slacking off and getting a 2.8 GPA going into applications high school me :argh:), of course hoping to transfer in the future. Problem is, there's no way for me to get an actual CS education until I can transfer, which would be in Spring or Fall 2013.

Right now, I'm unemployed and pretty goddamn broke. I had a seasonal retail job, but it killed my time to learn and code. I'd rather not have to go back to Geek Squad anytime soon, so I'm wondering: is it worth trying to pursue freelance projects, or should I try for some sort of part-time, entry level job or paid internship position now instead? I'm in the Atlanta area, so there's not quite the same amount of opportunities available as elsewhere, but I've at least seen freelance jobs on Craigslist :v:

I'm focused pretty much entirely on web development on the moment, because that seems to be a niche that's working for me. I'm enjoying what I guess is called "front-end development," a mixture of heavy JavaScript (MVC frameworks like Backbone and Ember) and designing UIs/templates. I've done some small scale projects, and released a (now-abandoned) Chrome app that got some press and around 5k users senior year of high school, which was neat. I've also got some Django experience, mostly coding views and doing templates with a partner who did much of the backend stuff.

I think I could handle freelance projects with my skillset, but I am unsure if I could even get an interview for an entry-level job or an internship. Again, freshman at a bad community college. Is it worth pursuing, or should I just lay low and try to get freelance jobs or, god help me, another retail job for now?

The other thing is, I have zero formal background. If you dropped me in front of a whiteboard and asked me a real conceptual problem I'd probably just curl up in the fetal position. So I'm wondering what the best, cheap way to self-teach myself more advanced skills - data structures, algorithms, etc. - so that I can do well at interviews for internships, maybe not this summer (as nice as that would be) but at least by this time next year. I know that a front-end position probably wouldn't require as much of this, but I have to assume it would be at least partially expected.

Make a portfolio/resume and see if you can score an entry level web development job or an internship. Most of what you would learn in a formal CS program is going to be fairly irrelevant to front end web development (or development in general) anyway, so there are places that are willing to be relaxed about it - but you're probably going to have to network (talk to a guy who knows a guy) to get those chances. This is going to take a lot of asking around, but you'll probably break through eventually. Retail is not a good use of your time.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

Do they still teach BSTs in the Java version of the AP test? Do students in CS programs in college even deal with BSTs all that much?
There are two AP Comp Sci tests: A and B. When I was in HS, I took test A. It didn't have anything remotely close to data structures from what I can remember. I'm not sure what's on test B though.

Strong Sauce posted:

Any current students want to chime in on whether you even do coding assignments involving trees?
Besides the data structures class I took 2-3 years ago, absolutely none. There may have been some test questions or lectures that have lightly touched upon some tree data structures, but nothing on programming assignments.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
When I was in high school, I did the AB level AP CS, and they had all the data structures I've seen in second year CS. I hear they restructured the AP program and got rid of the AB level though.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

As the people who hand about in irc will testify I have recently discovered (re-discovered if trying and failing to make anything work on a c64 when I was about 5 years old counts) coding.

Its like a flower opening to the sun for the first time. I loving love it, the rush when something works is unbeatable and even the dull parts don't seem dull (maybe the shine will wear off who knows).

Anyway, my plan is to learn it, do it, work it. I want to get a job in the industry and have formulated a plan to do so. I'd really appreciate it if any of you old hands could give it a once over and see if I'm missing anything.

Step 1 - CS101
I'm currently working through the MIT lectures that they put up for free. Its nice they put up a copy of all the reading and assignments as well as the quizes and exams. It's taken me about a week to get halfway so I should finish it off soon. The idea being to give me a decent grounding in what's important.

Step 2 - Further Learning, Doing
Basically I plan to go over each major concept in the cs101 course and do it, fix poo poo on github that fits in, contribute something that fits the list or make something if I see an opportunity. Nothing major but just a sort of, right I'm confident I have a good handle on the things that might be considered the groundwork of computer theory\programming.

I'll also be using this time to start looking in more depth at concepts that need it, either because its used all the drat time no matter what you're doing or because a good understanding of it is pretty much required to be not poo poo. The only one I can really think of right now is Data structures, it seems to come up over and over again in every thread, and I figure pretty much everyone who writes code has to interact with them in some way or other. Any others that are in the 'seriously do this, do it now' pile?

Step 3 - Decide 'speciality' hammer it
This is the bit I think I need to do most work on, as I understand it, coding is far too big a field to be a one man expert unless you're god or something, so people specialise, in languages and in areas. So I guess I need to pick one. The plan is pick and get a few hundred hours under my belt working in that field on open source stuff and learn about the ins and outs specific to it. Don't suppose anyone knows of a nice (or rough) breakdown of the main fields and their important skill sets \ key languages.

Step 4 - Get a jerb
Hopefully by this point I should be both decent enough at coding in what I want to do to get at least a junior level job and have done enough of it to know if actually I can sit down for 8 hours a day every day for the rest of my working life and do it, or at least have an inkling.

Total time plan is 4-12 months, depending on how long stuff takes. How does it sound on a scale of you're an idiot - pretty plausible, and is there anything I've missed off?

[edit] Figured I should probably add some biographical information, I'm 26, I have little to no relevant qualifications to this field, I'm currently employed in a good, professional job, however, again in a role I'd have trouble relating to the field. I do intend to get the degree, mainly because I want to, but a) as I already have a degree the funding situation in the UK basically says, get hosed and b) I have to keep a job it'll be a night\distance thing and will take longer so I don't really want to wait to get it first. And finally, thanks to this thread, my favourite sort algorithm is the quantum-bogo sort.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 21, 2012

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Actually, since we're sort of on the topic, I'm kind of curious on how my school compares to others in general, as I've been under the impression that we're not covering as much as other schools. Here is our data structures syllabus from when I took it a year ago:

1 Arrays and References 10/12 Jan
2 Stacks 19 Jan
3 Stacks and Lab 1 24/26 Jan
4 Stacks and Recursion 31 Jan, 2 Feb
5 Lab 2, Queues and Lists 7/9 Feb
6 Queues and Lists and Lab 3 14/16 Feb
7 Queues and Lists, Midterm 21/23 Feb
8 Trees 28 Feb, 2 Mar
9 Spring Break 7 Mar – 11 Mar
10 Trees and Lab 4 14/16 Mar
11 Trees 21/23 Mar
12 Sorting 28/30 Mar
13 Sorting 4/6 Apr
14 Searching 11/13 Apr
15 Garbage Collection, Final Review 18/20 Apr
16 TBD 25 Apr

The material on trees extended from where it was first mentioned in the syllabus all the way through sorting and searching, until we got to garbage collection.

We had 11 assignments, of which 4 involved trees and 3 involved implementation. Half our assignments were actual homework while the other half were simple "lab" exercises that only took a few hours, with which we were given plenty of hints and allowed to ask question. The tree assignment that didn't involve implementation was one of those - we inserted stuff in a tree that was given to us and had to explain how that effected searching, etc.

Algorithms syllabus:
1 Balanced Binary Search Trees 9/11 Jan
2 Balanced Binary Search Trees 18 Jan
3 B-Trees 23/25 Jan
4 B-Trees 30 Jan, 1 Feb
5 Hashing 6/8 Feb
6 Hashing 13/15 Feb
7 Stable Matching, Midterm 20/22 Feb
8 Algorithm Analysis 27/29 Feb
9 Spring Break 5 Mar – 9 Mar
10 Algorithm Analysis 12/14 Mar
11 Graphs 19/21 Mar
12 Greedy Algorithm 26/28 Mar
13 Divide-n-Conquer 2/4 Apr
14 Dynamic Programming 9/11 Apr
15 Dynamic Programming 16/18 Apr
16 Review 23 Apr

Our first assignment was to implement AVL trees. I'm just finishing up an assignment now in which we have to implement B-Trees, and we were just given an assignment in which we have to implement extensible hashing. Sound normal?

And w.r.t. the tree question, going by the syllabi, it looks like we've spent about 10 weeks on trees, overall, and tree-implementation has taken a significant fraction of our programming assignments.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Might as well ask this as well. I am interviewing onsite at Twitter, anyone gone up to their offices to interview?
I'm going through the interview process with Twitter right now myself; I'd love to hear how people have found the onsite or the whole process in general.

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Here's the schedule for my Data Structures class

Abstract data types, design and comparison of data structures [1 week]
Dictionaries and Balanced search trees [2 weeks]
Augmenting Data Structures [1 week]
Hashing [2 weeks]
Priority queues [2 weeks]
Disjoint Sets [1 week]
Graph representations, graph traversals, and minimum spanning trees [2 weeks]
Amortized analysis and Average case analysis [2 weeks]

and the schedule for the Algorithms class

#1 P, NP, Polynomial Reductions
#2 NP-completeness
#3 NP-completeness, co-NP
#4 Greedy Algorithms
#5 Dynamic Programming
#6 Dynamic Programming
#7 Network Flow
#8 Network Flow
#9 Linear Programming
#10 Approximation Algorithms
#11 Local Search
#12 Randomized Algorithms.

Coolreject
Feb 5, 2007

Hell yea.
Recent college graduate here, just had my first real programming job interview at a small-ish, fast-growing tech start up type of company. After about 40 minutes or so of technical questions, which I think I did well on, despite drawing a blank on a simple SQL question out of sheer nervousness, they spent the next hour introducing me to the rest of the tech team and I got a chance to meet the rest of the programmers as well as their CEO. Everyone was way more laid back and casual than I had expected, and a large portion of the interview from that point on was them asking questions like "What do you do for fun?" "Play any good video games recently?" "What books do you like to read?" and asking me about college experiences, what my funniest story from a summer job was, etc. The programmers spent a good deal of time casually talking to me about different programming languages, what we liked and didn't like about certain ones and other geeky things regarding programming.

Is this generally how things go during an interview in this field? And is it an alright sign? The company seems to absolutely have their poo poo together, and the higher ups I met were friendly and professional, but I really had no idea what to expect going into this interview and I was really struck by how non-stuffy it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Coolreject posted:

And is it an alright sign?

It's a great sign. Bad candidates get a "thank you for your time" and escorted to the door as fast as possible without being rude.