Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I want them to make The Bugle: Televisual Newspaper for a Virtual World.

FTFY

In other news, oh god, oh god yes. I would pay to watch John's reaction to a pun-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Brown Moses posted:

I finally got to see the new Being Human, I thought it did a pretty good job of finishing the story of George and Nina while introducing a new storyline that has the potential to be very interesting. The vampires were brilliantly dickish as well.

You can't be serious. One was killed off-screen between series and the other only felt like he was in the episode as a favour to the BBC. On top of that, out of all the original characters to stay, it's the most pointless one who's utterly useless in every situation, played by a bad actress and who should have been written out at the end of series 2.

Series 4 is going to suck horribly and the whole thing will be nicely summed up with a gif of George quickly escaping through that door.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Haha wow, I can't believe Don't Hug me I'm Scared made it onto real telly, I've spent months using it to scar the goons on that youtube synch thing they had on GBS

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Watched 'Inside Men' tonight, it was good though I'd missed the first episode. Seems to be made from most of the cast and crew of recent British crime shows mixed with Breaking Bad.

Also BBC news is terrible. I'm not sure if it's because of the news itself or the animations of banks going down to the pub then buying bakeries, news presenters not being given the right cues, the bizarre subtitles in the early mornings and the general feeling I'm watching GMTV with a different colour scheme. Also, the web site is awful and has little content. Has this been a recent change due to cuts or has it always been poo poo?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's got much shitter. Mainly because the Beeb are making GBS threads their collective pants over saying anything which will get them squashed by the Coalition. So objectivity has gone out the window and the party line is being toed pretty firmly.

Doesn't stop the accusations of left-wing bias though, which I find hilarious when Nick Robinson is their political editor.

And yeah, the website is horrible now, it's been getting steadily worse for a few years.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kin posted:

You can't be serious. One was killed off-screen between series and the other only felt like he was in the episode as a favour to the BBC. On top of that, out of all the original characters to stay, it's the most pointless one who's utterly useless in every situation, played by a bad actress and who should have been written out at the end of series 2.

Series 4 is going to suck horribly and the whole thing will be nicely summed up with a gif of George quickly escaping through that door.

I never really liked the cast that much anyway, so I'm not going to miss them, although Annie is a terrible character.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

sebzilla posted:

It's got much shitter. Mainly because the Beeb are making GBS threads their collective pants over saying anything which will get them squashed by the Coalition. So objectivity has gone out the window and the party line is being toed pretty firmly.

Doesn't stop the accusations of left-wing bias though, which I find hilarious when Nick Robinson is their political editor.

And yeah, the website is horrible now, it's been getting steadily worse for a few years.

And as part of all the downsizing of resent years they have got rid of all the experienced people (As they cost to much) and replaced them with kids, leading to a inferior product which is still somehow better than everyone eles.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Leon with a Zero posted:

David mitchell should not even be there, a terrible, unfunny moaner, who isnt event he best moaner on the show. He should really stick to just playing mark corrigan and letting robert webb be the funny one.

This is completely and utterly wrong, soapbox is amazing and his rants were always the best part of 10OCL. I thought that was universally accepted?

Also, I am getting a little bit pissed off at things being called easy satire for Guardian readers.

Thing is, when you have a government in charge who are this ridiculous, you're going to get a lot of the same jokes and themes. Also re bankers.

It can be tiresome, but they've brought it on themselves.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

thehustler posted:

This is completely and utterly wrong, soapbox is amazing and his rants were always the best part of 10OCL. I thought that was universally accepted?

Also, I am getting a little bit pissed off at things being called easy satire for Guardian readers.

Thing is, when you have a government in charge who are this ridiculous, you're going to get a lot of the same jokes and themes. Also re bankers.

It can be tiresome, but they've brought it on themselves.

But it's so lazy. If all satire is just "politicians are bad woo" then it doesn't have a point, it's just a band to entertain the punters so they don't notice that the ship's sinking. The bits I thought were most promising was where they took things like Serco and PFI and went "look, this stuff's poo poo and if you knew how much influence unelected corporations actually had over your life, you'd be terrified." It might not have been as funny, but at least it would be different and informative.

I think the problem is that generally, satire is always a bit poo poo. If you have to make fun of politics and the government every week, then it's going to sound like white noise, you're going to get used to writing repetitive crowd-pleasing crap and when something actually truly awful comes along, nobody's going to notice cos it's just like the boy who cried wolf. I suppose it doesn't help that politics is an unending torrent of poo poo anyway, but whatever.

This was why Mark Thomas was good. He searched out specifically awful things the government and other people were doing, then confronted them in imaginative ways that no other current affairs program dared, cos they annoyed the police or risked arrest or something. Again, it's another problem with the live format, since half of that stuff was on-location.

Perhaps the live thing is the problem - all it does is seem to panic the presenters and degrade overall show quality for no real gain. Who's idea was it to put someone on a flagship live C4 satire show who wrote about how on his first live appearance only the the year before he was so terrified that "did a piss"? Other people have to put in hours of work to become good enough for something like that, especially one to do with politics, and 10 O'Clock live shows that that experience is very, very necessary.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jesus, I can't believe they got David Mitchell interviewing Alastair loving Campbell again, even if it was on a light-hearted topic.

It was poo poo. No lessons learned from last year at all. Watching those four (all of whom I like) have a pub debate about the big stories of the week does not make good telly.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Junkenstein posted:

Jesus, I can't believe they got David Mitchell interviewing Alastair loving Campbell again, even if it was on a light-hearted topic.

It was poo poo. No lessons learned from last year at all. Watching those four (all of whom I like) have a pub debate about the big stories of the week does not make good telly.

I've chosen to believe it is actually a fantastic satire about poo poo satire.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jonnty posted:

Why 10OCL is poo poo

OK to be fair I do pretty much agree with all of this. As a fan of Thomas, and a reader of Private Eye, and a massive lefty Twitter user, I try and tell people about specific things that they aren't really aware of. The Serco/PFI thing was the best segment they did and showed much promise.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got round to watching Question Time, and Christ is Ann Leslie difficult to listen to.

"I've this, I've that, I've then"

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

thehustler posted:

Just because its "universally accepted" on a specific part of the internet doesn't make it 'right' or 'wrong', its an opinion. I find him tedious at best outside of peep show. His performance on 10 o clock live has been lukewarm at best (although that show has been in general mediocre for several different reasons).

Explain to me how his soapbox thing is 'amazing' and not some series of very boring observations, its literally peter kay/russel howard style observational 'humor' but instead of comics you just have mark corrigan narrating his opinions and not even doing anything funny like eating a dead dog or ruining his life.

The best thing mitchell has done is when he met dj slipmatt.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Any dudes having problems using a Visa debit on Netflix? I know I have money on this thing but it's not accepting it despite the fact it had no problems letting me sign up with it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I know it isn't Adam and Joe, but is anyone else interested in Peter Serafinowitz Scerofinerwic The Voice of Darth Maul's Radio 6 show next week? Partially just glad to have him working at the Beeb again, though I was hoping for another series of his sketch show.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know it isn't Adam and Joe, but is anyone else interested in Peter Serafinowitz Scerofinerwic The Voice of Darth Maul's Radio 6 show next week? Partially just glad to have him working at the Beeb again, though I was hoping for another series of his sketch show.

well he's not richard bacon so he'll be an improvement at any rate

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Any dudes having problems using a Visa debit on Netflix? I know I have money on this thing but it's not accepting it despite the fact it had no problems letting me sign up with it.

Are you with RBS or any of those related banks as there has been mentions on the Netflix UK facebook page by people having issues with RBS cards being declined.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Cerv posted:

well he's not richard bacon so he'll be an improvement at any rate

Even Richard Bacon is better than Josie Long. God that was a grim month or two.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Leyburn posted:

this is so wrong

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
In fact the four minute warning would be preferable.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Leyburn posted:

Collins and Long were absolutely terrible and Richard Bacon has definitely been an improvement.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Flipswitch posted:

Just got round to watching Question Time, and Christ is Ann Leslie difficult to listen to.

On a related note, I caught the end of Any Questions getting into my car, just in time to hear Ann Widdicombe vomit up an amazing little dollop of internalised mysogyny. You'd think after her finally airing her mental dirty laundry on the I2 debate, she'd not be invited back to anything at the beeb, but...
Kind of sad to see that level of cognitive dissonance so obviously on display, but given who she spends her time associating with, I suppose it's to be expected.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Leon with a Zero posted:

The best thing mitchell has done is when he met dj slipmatt.

I nearly trampled him at the boat race a couple of years ago, he's pretty small.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kerbtree posted:

On a related note, I caught the end of Any Questions getting into my car, just in time to hear Ann Widdicombe vomit up an amazing little dollop of internalised mysogyny. You'd think after her finally airing her mental dirty laundry on the I2 debate, she'd not be invited back to anything at the beeb, but...
Kind of sad to see that level of cognitive dissonance so obviously on display, but given who she spends her time associating with, I suppose it's to be expected.

What did she say?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've been watching back through a lot of Charlie Brooker shows lately, since Black Mirror sold me on his writing style... I couldn't resist making a few gifs from How TV Ruined Your Life:

Also, I ended up discovering "Why Bother?", improvised interviews between Chris Morris and Peter Cook's Arthur Streeb-Greebling, which is fantastic, but far too short.
And that, in turn, led me to start watching The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer. So I'm catching up on a lot of great British comedy this weekend, haha.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Also, I ended up discovering "Why Bother?", improvised interviews between Chris Morris and Peter Cook's Arthur Streeb-Greebling, which is fantastic, but far too short.
And that, in turn, led me to start watching The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer. So I'm catching up on a lot of great British comedy this weekend, haha.
If you liked "Why Bother?" then you'll definitely love Peter Cooks improvised interviews with Clive Anderson. He did 4 of them, each time playing a different character;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vi2sqVEhKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngOIXdF538A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AKrkHIq43g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQEUS-DyJQ

Everyone should watch these, because they are absolutely stunning. Peter Cook is one of the funniest people Britain has ever produced, and thats saying a lot. Look up "Beyond The Fringe" as well. The 3CD boxset of that show is one of my favourite things ever. Oh, and its worth checking out the original version "Bedazzled". And just about anything with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore performing together.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm not really sure how some of the UKs top comedians managed to make a political satire show less funny than anything america has produced but well they did.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm not really sure how some of the UKs top comedians managed to make a political satire show less funny than anything america has produced but well they did.

There's only two comedians on 10CL and I wouldn't consider them to be 'top comedians' in anything but popularity.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Z-Magic posted:

There's only two comedians on 10CL and I wouldn't consider them to be 'top comedians' in anything but popularity.

To be less harsh, I would say they aren't satirical master minds.

Satire is an art form though and making the common man laugh doesn't mean you can suddenly expose how stupid and petty the system while making everyone think in a silly outfit with your dick jokes or with your long frustrated middle class themed rants.

Basically all still hate new Channel 4. Old Channel 4 where'd you go :(.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Satire is an art form though and making the common man laugh doesn't mean you can suddenly expose how stupid and petty the system while making everyone think in a silly outfit with your dick jokes or with your long frustrated middle class themed rants.

In fairness I think Charlie Brooker HAS produced some good satire. His primary work is funny rants about middle-class issues and telly, but I think he's done some good satire. 10 O'Clock Live is just not the vehicle he's good at doing it with, though, perhaps due to the small amount of time he's given and the live factor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rejected Fate posted:

In fairness I think Charlie Brooker HAS produced some good satire. His primary work is funny rants about middle-class issues and telly, but I think he's done some good satire. 10 O'Clock Live is just not the vehicle he's good at doing it with, though, perhaps due to the small amount of time he's given and the live factor.

Oh I agree, Brooker just doesn't have the proper experince with Live telly yet. His bits might be the few laughs the show has when he uses new materiel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

This episode of Being Human is loving awful so far.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Make 10 O'Clock Live into Mitchell & Brooker's Weekly Rant. Throw out the audience, pre-record the show and chuck Jimmy Carr down a well.

Also, let Paxman do the interviews.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011

Leyburn posted:

You monster

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Couldn't they just resurrect Bremner, Bird & Fortune? I remember it being brilliantly satiracal without being up it's own arse or falling into lazy punchlines and stereotypes. Perhaps that was because each series had a samll number of episodes so it was gone before it got tired?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Austen Tassletine posted:

Couldn't they just resurrect Bremner, Bird & Fortune? I remember it being brilliantly satiracal without being up it's own arse or falling into lazy punchlines and stereotypes. Perhaps that was because each series had a samll number of episodes so it was gone before it got tired?

Rory Bremner's greatest satire was when he turned up to a Michael Howard rally dressed up as Michael Howard shouting "Better weather under conservatives!" It so brilliantly summed up the Tory campaign in that election.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Metrication posted:

Collins and Long were absolutely terrible and Richard Bacon has definitely been an improvement.

I agree with this opinion.

I used to have a soppy crush on Josie Long. After those shows, it dissipated.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

DaWolfey posted:

I agree with this opinion.

I used to have a soppy crush on Josie Long. After those shows, it dissipated.

I've never heard any of the radio show, what was so bad about them/her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Z-Magic posted:

I've never heard any of the radio show, what was so bad about them/her?

It just didn't work. We went from Adam & Joe (awesome) to Collings and Herrin (usually very good) to Long and Collings (not really working)

They had a lot to live up to