Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

The Dell U2711 is £516 at Overclockers today. drat that's tempting.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-041-DE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nevett posted:

The Dell U2711 is £516 at Overclockers today. drat that's tempting.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-041-DE

I don't have one, but I have a friend who does, and it is fantastic.
I think if I had that money to burn on monitor right now, I'd take this man's advice in the comments:

"Simply fantastic, don't think about it, just get one."

underscoremx
Apr 4, 2011
The U3011 is on sale at Dell.ca for 999$. Couldn't get them to price match to US though =(

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

Does anyone in this thread have a ASUS VG236H? I just got one to replace one of my 20" NECWXMG2s and no matter what I do I can't get the colors anywhere remotely right on this thing. The closest I can get to "correct" is to put it in Standard mode and set the color temp to sRGB, which locks me out of all of the other configuration options. Even in this configuration the blocks on this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php are completely invisible save for the first set (200).It's like the gamma and contrast are screwed up, but I can't figure out how to fix it. If I adjust my settings to where the white saturation is fixed then my blacks are crushed into oblivion.

I certainly don't expect this monitor to be as color accurate as my IPS monitors, but most reviews for this monitor have said that it has good colors for a TN panel. I'm curious if other VG236H owners experience any of these problems. Do I potentially have a defective monitor? I use a TN panel at work that has far more accurate colors than my new ASUS. I've about decided to just order a colorimeter and/or replace the monitor while I still can.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

movax posted:

Other than that Google search, I just know off-hand Asus has been making some displays with pretty good industrial design. What's super-thin to you, like <0.5"?

Something like that. I can't find the articles anymore but I believe Samsung was coming out with some monitors with razor thin bezels. This is about the best thing I can find so far, though it being an all-in-one setup like that is not necessary. This one would be great if it were real. The bezel on that one acts as a pretty good example of what I would want. I'm OCD as gently caress so I can imagine any weird gapping (especially if the edges were rounded) would drive me insane over time.

Edit: I just found this Samsung in case anyone else is on a similar hunt. That's about all I've found so far that meets those needs though. :)

Rrail fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 11, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That Dell screen has a huge glass panel on it. You couldn't use it for what you want.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That monitor also was never anything more than just a concept model--he was just pointing out that he'd like something with a terribly tiny visible bezel.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Hey, does anyone know of a software tool that allows you to have multiple calibration profiles that you can easily switch between? My desk and entertainment centre are close enough that for some movies or games I use my television attached to my computer, but everything has much more of an orange hue on those circumstances.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Are you using Windows? It should automatically track color settings per-device in the Color Management applet (start -> type "Color," should be first result.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Sweet Jesus, I'm a dummy. I guess I've been using Calibrize for so long I forgot that Windows 7 had it's own serviceable calibration tools and didn't even think of checking that. Thanks!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

So I was looking at this monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6441299&CatId=4420

Any thoughts? I was thinking of doubling it up on a Planar desk mount and using it mostly for gaming/movies (I'll have a 2500k and a 560TI)

Is the 5MS really going to make that much of a difference vs a 2ms?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Slotducks posted:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6441299&CatId=4420

Any thoughts? I was thinking of doubling it up on a Planar desk mount and using it mostly for gaming/movies (I'll have a 2500k and a 560TI)

From what I've heard Acer's aren't that great. You could go with a comparable Asus for cheaper, or get the Viewsonic VX2336S-LED which is an inexpensive IPS monitor. It does lack an HDMI port, however. Just received mine Monday and it's been wonderful, though there is a little bit of ghosting in fast games, it's already gotten to where I hardly notice it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Slotducks posted:

TN panels like that aren't really that different from one another. It looks fine, if pricier than some others. For instance, this LG is only missing the HDMI input, but otherwise seems to be about the same, and this ASUS is just cheaper.
5ms vs. 2ms refresh time isn't going to be any different.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Slotducks posted:

No. Response times are lies, anyhow.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

A question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230743312508

Currently using one of these on my decrepit PC to provide a second monitor port, which I have hooked up to an old 14" LCD monitor I have. Works just fine, except when I try to use it to watch videos on any kind of application (Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc.). When these are moved over to the screen, it freezes the video, though the player keeps running. Oddly, it's just fine with streaming video through a web browser like youtube.

Flailed around on google trying to figure out what might cause this, and all I can see is some kind of video overlay thing that might be causing the problem. Tend to use the Windows media classic player rather than the massive later version, and it has a bunch of options for changing the output, but I'm way, way out of my depth in knowing what they all mean...

Was hoping someone here might have had experience of using one of these, and could suggest something to try. Failing that, I have a friend I might just pick up an old Radeon card with twin video outputs on.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I'm in the hunt for a new monitor. I've used some Hanns-G 21.6" for some time and it's given me some eye strain/dryness compared to my Samsung 19" I use as a second monitor. I do mostly gaming, surfing and coding.

Is it worth getting an IPS over a TN? I have the money but I've always been about the price/quality ratio.

Looking at slickdeals, there's the Dell U2312HM for $229 or an Acer 23" A231H for ~$120. Is it worth spending the extra $100?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So if the rumors of a 2048x1536 iPad 3 display are true, what does that mean for desktop monitors? Will they continue to be lazy and make pretty much everything 1080p (and 1366x768) for notebooks, or is there a chance some of that display tech (and actual caring about display quality) will trickle down?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Rashomon posted:

So if the rumors of a 2048x1536 iPad 3 display are true, what does that mean for desktop monitors? Will they continue to be lazy and make pretty much everything 1080p (and 1366x768) for notebooks, or is there a chance some of that display tech (and actual caring about display quality) will trickle down?

Well, Sony's Z2 laptop has a 13" 1920x1080 screen which is a triumph all around (except for standard TN panel viewing angle issues). Unfortunately, it's paired with the world's shittiest keyboard, trackpad, cooling fan, and lid hinge, plus so much bloatware that it actually slows down a system with two 128GB SSDs in RAID 0.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rashomon posted:

In the near-term? No, not really, at least not for desktops. Monitor manufacturers have had the ability to court higher-res displays for awhile, and have chosen not to do so. There are a lot of reasons for that, but most of it comes down to 1920x1080 being "good enough" for the vast majority of consumers, and it taking a pretty noticeable step up in terms of hardware and content quality to make anything higher really make sense. Much like how no one's going to bother to make a TV higher-res than 1920x1080 until the successor to BluRay comes along--most people just wouldn't see the point. That said, there has been a fair amount of work done in the quality and affordability segments: the 24" IPS monitor you can pick up today for $300 is a poo poo-ton better than the 24" IPS monitor that would have cost you $600 a few years ago.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
has anyone bought refurbished monitors off Dell before? a refurb U2312HM is $190 and i would love to save a penny here or there.

e: on page before

Geno fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 15, 2012

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey goons, i'm looking to buy a new monitor (Currently using a 19 inch dell display, which im actually happy with apart from the small size)

I'm mostly using the computer for work (alot of typing, reading, etc) and some games too, but i'm no longer as much of a gamer as i used to be.

Now i did purchase an ASUS VW246H and i don't know whether i just got a lovely panel or if all of them are like this..... but god drat that thing sucked a bag of dicks.

I tried to calibrate it for days; the blacks were all washed out with actual white streaks in them, and the rest of the colors were dull as poo poo and it was just a headache through and through. The monitor is now sitting in it's box since Newegg has a terrible return policy for monitors.

So now i'm left looking for a good quality Monitor (22-24 inches is fine), in terms of price i'd like to keep it under $400-500. Any suggestions?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Dell U2412m

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
And if you're in Australia, its 30% off for the next 2 days. Gogogo

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Canada ;(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Phatzilla posted:

Canada ;(

If you're in Vancouver you can snag one off Craigs.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/sys/2833931483.html

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
toronto ;(

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Phatzilla posted:

toronto ;(

Flat $50 off for the moment at dell.ca (so $320).

Phatzilla
Aug 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nice. So is this a really superior monitor in that price range? Id be willing to invest up to $500 if its a really nice one. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to this

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

Got myself some U2312HM to replace old TN panels and now my colors don't wildly change anymore depending on viewing angle, also I confirm that the default brightness setting seems to be appropriate for the surface of the sun.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phatzilla posted:

nice. So is this a really superior monitor in that price range? Id be willing to invest up to $500 if its a really nice one. I'm so out of the loop when it comes to this

The only other thing is the U2410, if you need a ton of inputs. The 2412 sticks to the standard Displayport and DVI, the 2410 has every input under the sun, including vga, component, hdmi, displayport, and DVI. poo poo, it might even have RCA and S-Video. The panel is slightly better as well, since it is a full 10 bit panel, but that's not realllly the best reason to buy it unless you are a full professional that needs something like that.

Get the 2412 unless you know that you want to use it as a PC monitor along with your Xbox and other random stuff at the same time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The U2410 really has a huge and useful number of inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D x2, VGA, Composite, Component.

It lacks S-Video, which my old 2007wfp does have. But that's about it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The other tradeoff on the 2412 vs 2410 is LED backlighting on the former (which I like a lot, and is also more energy efficient) vs 8 bit IPS (which maybe you need if you are doing photo/design work).

For any every day monitor, I think the 2412 is better, and cheaper to boot.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Dogen posted:

The other tradeoff on the 2412 vs 2410 is LED backlighting on the former (which I like a lot, and is also more energy efficient) vs 8 bit IPS (which maybe you need if you are doing photo/design work).

For any every day monitor, I think the 2412 is better, and cheaper to boot.
What about when they want to upgrade it what do they do with the 2412, because there are no used 2412s on ebay at ALL.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

What about when they want to upgrade it what do they do with the 2412, because there are no used 2412s on ebay at ALL.
...up...grade? In all seriousness, you're not going to see a lot of used 2412's for awhile. They're still pretty new, and are more or less the top of the pile for their market segment. That, and considering what you'd have to go to to qualify as an upgrade, I'd imagine a lot of people just end up keeping it for multi-monitor purposes.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I'm debating between going with a 27" monitor or a 23-24".

I found this monitor which has gotten a lot of feedback at 4/5 stars.

Anything I should know before I pull the trigger? Otherwise I'll probably just buy the 23" monitor listed in the OP of the stickied parts picking thread and save myself the $170. I'm just salivating at the thought of staring at a 27" monitor, but is it really worth it?

edit: This is going to be used for 95% gaming.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 16, 2012

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

kstatix posted:

Anything I should know before I pull the trigger? Otherwise I'll probably just buy the 23" monitor listed in the OP of the stickied parts picking thread and save myself the $170. I'm just salivating at the thought of staring at a 27" monitor, but is it really worth it?

I think 27" monitors that have 1920x1200/1080 resolutions look like poo poo up close.

If you can deal with the super low PPI, then...v:v:v

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!
Just went from a Dell U2405 to a U3011 and I'm pretty happy so far. I was going to go with the the U2711 but I think the extra space will be worth it in the long run.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kstatix posted:

27 inch TN based monitors like that one linked look like poo poo. TN viewing angles with a screen that big means that even if you are viewing it dead on, you will get color shift from the top of the screen to the bottom. Also the low as hell resolution means giant pixels at that size. Get a U2412 instead and be happy.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So how much of an FPS drop in games would I get going from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080? does it depend more on CPU (I have a q6600) or GPU (560ti)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

More on the GPU, and with a 560Ti you should be fine.