Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

eumenidy posted:

Here's something I posted in the romantic poetry thread in GBS. You'll probably all be ecstatic to know it was inspired by this thread!

The Soulbonder's Lament

Your eyes met mine,
And then I knew;
The crystal screen
I saw you through,
A heartless whore
Entrapping you,
A world of lies-
But you were true.

A palace on
The astral plane
And sweet octuplets
With your name
Two dogs, recruited
From Wolf's Rain
My life would never
Be the same.

Then I saw Heero.
It was fate,
I thought--alas,
I woke too late
For half my astral
Real-estate
And our sweet kids
(You took all eight)

Oh Cloud, my love,
Forgive me, please!
I'm on my
Flabby unwashed knees.
Come back and be
My astral squeeze
And animate
My BJDs.

I will draw an avatar of your choice for you because of this poem.
(Unfortunately since I am a jobless bum I cannot afford to buy it for you but I can make you one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombiepanda
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah...Hannah is still my friend, but she's kinda something else. A few months ago she sent me this message on FB: "you're not going to believe what a pickle i've recently gotten myself into! i'm going out with a man who is 45 years old with two sons! what do i do? he's already talking about marriage and having children with me and we haven't even gone on our first date!" :psyduck:

I tell her if she wants to go to his house, she can go by herself. Because I won't go with her, she hasn't been over there since that time a few years ago either, so at least there's that.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

zombiepanda posted:

Yeah...Hannah is still my friend, but she's kinda something else. A few months ago she sent me this message on FB: "you're not going to believe what a pickle i've recently gotten myself into! i'm going out with a man who is 45 years old with two sons! what do i do? he's already talking about marriage and having children with me and we haven't even gone on our first date!" :psyduck:

I tell her if she wants to go to his house, she can go by herself. Because I won't go with her, she hasn't been over there since that time a few years ago either, so at least there's that.

I'll ask the obvious question: How old is she?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just letting you guys know I updated the Henriette scribd document ("Ask Me About Studying Law With A Girl Who Thinks She's Married To Sai Baba") with both front and back cover and some general formatting corrections if you want to download for your tablet. No new entries though.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76780402/Something-Awful-Henriette-Saga?secret_password=h3jrq5kg3tx97rrsipe

Are there any completed stories that can be compiled? Work is at a slight lull right now so I can do a few more of these.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just letting you guys know I updated the Henriette scribd document ("Ask Me About Studying Law With A Girl Who Thinks She's Married To Sai Baba") with both front and back cover and some general formatting corrections if you want to download for your tablet. No new entries though.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76780402/Something-Awful-Henriette-Saga?secret_password=h3jrq5kg3tx97rrsipe

Are there any completed stories that can be compiled? Work is at a slight lull right now so I can do a few more of these.

As a recent Kindle-haver, I absolutely love the idea of compiling these big stories like this. Downloading this now.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Maybe I'm just too far removed from high school stuff and don't remember what it was like but why the hell would anyone allow some of these people within 50 feet of them? Like that Tim knobhead - I don't care if your buddy thought it was funny, the whole sexual harassment thing is just beyond creepy. Don't high school girls have dads that threaten to knock creepy guys' blocks off? Or is that not a thing anymore?

I'm not going to say I'm a perfect angel with this whole thing, I have a lot of boring yet embarrassing stories from the days of AOL roleplaying chat rooms and even before that on dial-up BBS, but when it comes to my physical self that poo poo just does not fly.

Is it just the need for friends of any sort that makes people continue to give folks like this attention? I just don't get it even after reading the entire thread.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Colon V posted:

You'd almost think there's a reason you're supposed to wear goggles. :colbert:

I don't remember why I wasn't. We had some of the armor stuff, but not goggles. I think the guy may have forgotten them? It was so long ago, the memory gets hazy around the edges.

But you're right, in the end, we shouldn't have been so careless.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

LegionAreI posted:

Is it just the need for friends of any sort that makes people continue to give folks like this attention? I just don't get it even after reading the entire thread.

Pretty much this. When you're a dorky kid with weird, niche interests you'll overlook a lot just for the sake of having a friend who's into the same stuff. Most people distance themselves from the weird types as they get older and find better friends or interests.

But then sometimes you get the kind of jerk who makes you afraid to cut ties, which is usually to blame for these toxic relationships going on too long. It's also tough to get away when you're in a club, or something like a club, and their behavior isn't quite bad enough to justify kicking them out.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Bible posted:

Think of it like this. They are, at some level, aware that through whatever combination of personality, appearance, and lifestyle, pretty much any woman is going to be a fantasy for them. If they choose the literally unobtainable ones, they simply cannot fail.

Those grapes are probably sour anyway, right?

Guys like that charming Japanese fellow like to sign up for English classes, will only have a female teacher, and sit there giggling hysterically at everything you say.

If you get to know them for a while, they never ask you out, but will start talking about how they like such and such girl because "she's so cute."

Eventually, you will learn that the girl in question is from an anime.

Then, a little later, they will show you their secret folder covered in pictures of this girl.

Then they will say, I like her because she looks JUST LIKE MY ENGLISH TEACHER and give you a biiiiiiiiiiiiig smile.

:aaa:

That was a really, really tough few months. Eventually, I managed to convince enough people that I didn't want to teach him anymore, but because he was such a reliable source of money (paying per lesson, at about three or four per week, was roughly $350 at that school) they didn't want to kick him out. Eventually, he ran out of money, but not before pulling this poo poo on every blonde, female teacher in the place.

On that note:

A middle-aged woman came in for a placement test. She confessed to the staff member who set up the test that she used to go to another school, but got banned because she was stalking her (male) teacher. She did well enough on the quiz, but worked this poor bastard into EVERY answer to EVERY question. The teacher administering the test was forced to look at hundreds of pictures: "Oh, here's Michael-sensei! And here's his house...and a picture of his window...and here's his girlfriend! Isn't she pretty?"

:psyduck: I mean, that's obsession, when you're so absorbed with someone that you're also obsessed with the person they're ACTUALLY loving.

She was only allowed female teachers, which led to her quitting after she realized that she couldn't trick staff into giving her a boy.

Runcible Cat posted:

I know the Japanese are traditionally weird about singlewomenohgodthehorror but surely even the most obsessively perfect whatserface nadeshiko would think "gently caress this poo poo, I'm christmas cake and proud if this is the alternative" and walk out? Or does it give her unbeatable high scores in some awful-boyfriend Olympiad?

You'd think. But no.
Another student once advised me, after being told that I'd broken up with my boyfriend, to tell him I was pregnant so he'd come back, because I was "almost too old to get married." I had turned 24 the week before.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 8, 2012

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

uglynoodles posted:

I will draw an avatar of your choice for you because of this poem.
(Unfortunately since I am a jobless bum I cannot afford to buy it for you but I can make you one.)

Awesome! Thank you! :dance:

If you draw something for me, I will totally make it my avatar.

Now I just need to think of something appropriate to this thread. Hmm...

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

eumenidy posted:

Awesome! Thank you! :dance:

If you draw something for me, I will totally make it my avatar.

Now I just need to think of something appropriate to this thread. Hmm...

Anime Sai Baba. C'mon.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bringmyfishback posted:

A middle-aged woman came in for a placement test. She confessed to the staff member who set up the test that she used to go to another school, but got banned because she was stalking her (male) teacher. She did well enough on the quiz, but worked this poor bastard into EVERY answer to EVERY question. The teacher administering the test was forced to look at hundreds of pictures: "Oh, here's Michael-sensei! And here's his house...and a picture of his window...and here's his girlfriend! Isn't she pretty?"

This seems appropriate here. Read the stories about the Gothic Spinster for some :wtc:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

LyonsLions posted:

This seems appropriate here. Read the stories about the Gothic Spinster for some :wtc:

Holy poo poo:

"Your Korean boss may or may not be on your side. Depends on what kind of person they are really. If their main concern is the bottom line, then they are likely to turn your experience of being sexually harassed into “a cultural misunderstanding’. They are likely to see your stalker as “a good student who just likes you a lot”."

Yep, that's pretty much what happened anytime someone complained about a student for similar reasons.

"The guy would wait for her after class on many nights and ask her to go drinking with him. The guy wasn’t even enrolled in any of her classes. He was in another teacher’s class. He’d simply seen her in the halls and read her profile online. When she declined, he’d follow her. She didn’t feel comfortable walking back to her apartment directly after work anymore. Her boss also did nothing about the problem. “What happens outside the academy isn’t really my business” was the excuse."

Aaaaand this happened to me. Luckily, I was only teaching at that school for two weeks before they moved me across the city.

Sigh. I want to feel bad for these people, but they make it really difficult. (New thread title?)

In a way, I'm glad I read this because I was afraid it was only Japan where English teachers were treated this way.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

LyonsLions posted:

Wow, this is absolutely horrifying.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
gently caress me sideways. If someone made a horror film based on that, people would say, "Pfft, too unrealistic, that'd never happen".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just mentioned this guy on another thread, and suddenly realized that he was a perfect historical example for this thread: Goodwin Wharton

He was a 17th century Member of Parliament who spent his adult life in a relationship - apparently not sexual, but who knows really - with a medium who convinced him that the Queen of the Fairies was in love with him, had Spirit Babies with him and told him where treasure was buried and could be dug up (but was invariably snaffled by Evil Fairies before he got to it).

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

LyonsLions posted:

Reading it straight from the beginning, it all certainly seems awful, yet doesn't really top much that's been posted in the thread already. Then you get the part titled "A History of Violence" and suddenly there isn't a big enough :stare: on this board to fully express how psycho that woman is. Holy poo poo.

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Anime Sai Baba. C'mon.

THIS. Uglynoodles, are you up for that?

I so wish I had more stories to add to this thread. Alas, back in those days, I was the weird kid. I had awful social anxiety, so for some weird reason the only thing I would talk about was Star Trek (because it was the only vague pop-culture thing I knew anything about...? I don't know) and this went on for like four years. Didn't help that I had some pretty awful stuff done to me at school in general and my mum wasn't exactly mentally healthy at the time.

I read about people like Denise and think, "There but for the grace of a pretty robust hold on reality go I". But it never makes the stories less horrifying or hilarious.

There was one girl I remember who told everyone she got pregnant from a boy in our class. When asked for details, she gave us a very detailed, but ultimately anatomically impossible, story involving their innie and outie belly buttons. (We were 13. I'm not sure anyone was convinced.) She actually attempted to carry this charade on for several months despite being as thin as a rake.

Later I found out she was developmentally disabled so :smith:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

zombiepanda posted:

-*offers me some soup, which I reject* See, this is what happens when I try to be nice. I get stabbed in the back!

:argh: Those heartless bitches! Oh Tim, you and I are kindred spirits. I too know what it is like to offer them soup, soup you made specifically because 2.8 months ago she off-handedly mentioned liking this specific brand of soup so you updated your spreadsheet, then went and had imported at great personal expense and when you offer it to her to show that you listen she throws it right back in your face.

:qq: This world is just full of horrible girls who say they want someone who pays attention to them and is a good listener but all they want is some loving jock with a forty-seven inch cock and a camaro. gently caress youuuuuuuu!!!!!! :argh: :qq:

projecthalaxy posted:

...chafing...numbness...
:smug: Stick to the amateur wanking circuit son, you're not cut out for the big leagues.

zombiepanda
Nov 1, 2010
^ Yeah, he sure did...said strange things sometimes.

Farbauti posted:

I'll ask the obvious question: How old is she?

In a few days, 23.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

GidgetNomates posted:

As a recent Kindle-haver, I absolutely love the idea of compiling these big stories like this. Downloading this now.

Same here. I'd love to get the whole Denise/Perrier saga as one of these when the whole thing has been wrapped up. It's so bizarre, I can't stop rereading Noodles's posts.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Speaking of ages, how old is Denise now?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DeepFriedKitten posted:

Speaking of ages, how old is Denise now?

Whatever the number, "way too old for this poo poo" is the first thing that comes to mind.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

:qq: This world is just full of horrible girls who say they want someone who pays attention to them and is a good listener but all they want is some loving jock with a forty-seven inch cock and a camaro. gently caress youuuuuuuu!!!!!! :argh: :qq:

Don't know what that's from but drat! That gave me a flashback to a guy I used to know. I think he qualifies for this thread.

I met Charles when I moved to a new state for middle school. Being kind of nerdy and recently uprooted, I fell in with the first people I found common interests with, those interests being "watching Dragon Ball Z after getting off the bus" and "videogames." With this group came a few friends I still maintain, and also Charles.

Charles is the Fight Master
This group of friends was the reason I got into AOL instant messenger, which they used to play a DBZ game. Charles designed the game so that we each picked a character and then "fought" by typing out a description of our moves faster than the other guy.

By the time I got into this there weren't many characters left. I ended up getting stuck with Frieza ( a boss monster type guy who looked like a sperm ) but that didn't matter because I had a secret weapon. You see, I was the only one who had taken typing classes in elementary school, which made me the fastest, which pretty much broke the game. Charles didn't like that, and the whole thing broke down after an "epic battle" between us. Here is an artists depiction of the event :protarget::protarget:

Charles is still the Fight Master
A few people in this little group were into WWF wrestling. I remember Charles organizing an impromptu "tournament" in another kids basement where we were supposed to fight each other "for real!" Charles had some anger issues, so it wasn't really surprising to see him take things too far. He smacked around a kid half his size (Charles was also the one picking the match-ups) and then he decided to make me and my best friend fight.

We squared off making what I'm sure we thought were badass poses at each other and said :clint: "HEY! ... wanna go get some more pizza?"

Then we went upstairs and played Goldeneye while Charles probably called us fags.

On wish-fullfillment
Charles organized a D&D campaign invited me in on it for a session. I don't remember much of it, but I know it all took place in the local mall and that he had us kill "preps" and "posers" and oh god why didn't I realize how messed up this was at the time :gonk:

Charles tells it like it is
One summer we were "camping" in my backyard and the subject of girls came up. I'm pretty sure none of us had started dating yet, so we were mostly just joking around. Charles, who had been quiet up to this point (probably uncomfortable with the subject) launches into this tirade about how girls just want "a guy with money and a two foot dick and they don't care about ANYTHING else!" I should note that he was completely serious and really, really angry about this. That pretty much stopped the conversation, I mean, the guy was practically frothing at the mouth. After a moment of silence he apologizes, explains that none of what he said matters because he "already knows the perfect girl for him." That girl was an anime character from a show called Outlaw Star named Melfina. I remember two things from that show:

1) There were spaceships that fought each other with those wimpy arms that real space shuttles have.

2) This loving song! Charles showed it to me to demonstrate how super cool this girl was and to this day it makes me feel intensely awkward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JaogJZPag

Looking back on it, this guy was a lot weirder than I realized as a kid. A cursory look at facebook implies that he never really grew out of it either. For comparison, Charles has a twin brother who now works at a TV station, while Charles went with his parents when they moved across the country. His latest project seems to be posting newsletters over facebook about anime and videogames and his views of women and society in general, and they haven't changed much since when I knew him :(

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

homebrand posted:

We squared off making what I'm sure we thought were badass poses at each other and said :clint: "HEY! ... wanna go get some more pizza?"

Then we went upstairs and played Goldeneye while Charles probably called us fags.

I hope it's okay that I laughed at this -- it's a brilliant middle-school-boy interaction, in addition to a good way to get out of Charles's Basement Fight Club.

Charles sounds like a real piece of work, and it's pretty sad that he hasn't grown out of it. I imagine after a certain point it's a vicious cycle -- if a dude goes into every interaction with a woman assuming he needs a 47-inch dick and a Camaro to get anywhere, he's not going to have a lot of success (because he's a creep and/or deeply insecure), and that surely feeds back into his insecurity and convictions. It's just sad.

(On a tangent, what was up with those "fight via fast typing" roleplays? I've heard about them before, and I really doubt that it was the same group. How did this moronic idea get started?)

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

(On a tangent, what was up with those "fight via fast typing" roleplays? I've heard about them before, and I really doubt that it was the same group. How did this moronic idea get started?)

IRC. I remember being in a few DALNet RP channels back in the day, and there was a lot of this, whether for fighting or simple in-character chatting, it often came down to who typed something fastest.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

teh winnar! posted:

IRC. I remember being in a few DALNet RP channels back in the day, and there was a lot of this, whether for fighting or simple in-character chatting, it often came down to who typed something fastest.

This may be a recent trend/inevitable whine-inspired evolution of that, but when I tried to play in some chat based RPGs years ago, every single one was very strict about posting orders.

The order was determined by whoever initially posted first, and after that everyone was locked to that place in line. New people who entered were last. It was incredibly loving boring and took forever, mosly because having no fear of getting lost in the shuffle meant people gleefuly wrote four paragraphs about walking down the street.

I gave up after a week of bouncing from game to game, futilely trying to find one that wasn't like that. I'm sure there are still people out there staring at a chat window for four hours, all
just to play out what equates to twenty minutes of activity.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I used to do this back in AOL Arts and Entertainment DBZ chatrooms back around '99-'01. Unlike Homebrand's version, however, everyone was an ORIGINAL CHARACTER and we'd all have like MS Paint drawings of them.

I don't have any crazy stories about anything weird happening, but looking back on it all now it was all pretty kind of weird in itself. Some of the people involved were well into their twenties and the majority of us were probably no older than 14 or so and some of the things that went on publicly were... questionable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Dazh posted:

I used to do this back in AOL Arts and Entertainment DBZ chatrooms back around '99-'01. Unlike Homebrand's version, however, everyone was an ORIGINAL CHARACTER and we'd all have like MS Paint drawings of them.

I don't have any crazy stories about anything weird happening, but looking back on it all now it was all pretty kind of weird in itself. Some of the people involved were well into their twenties and the majority of us were probably no older than 14 or so and some of the things that went on publicly were... questionable.

Considering that back then there really wasn't anything like the online gaming we have now, it did lead to some age mixings that looking back now is a headshaker that we rolled with it for much as we did. And it wasn't just the chatroom games, the Play By Email stuff was just as bizzaro mixed with ages though it was more late teens/somewhere in the 20s on average with maybe a handful under that range and 1-2 people who'd be in their 30s-40s.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Well, I brought up the concern about my brother possibly having Asperger's with my mom. She said she agreed that he lacks the social graces that most people have, but didn't say anything other than that. She just clammed up when I tried to broach the subject further. Apparently, she took him to the doctor about a year or so ago to talk about his obsessive hand cleansing (with sanitizer). The doctor portrayed it in a positive light, like "good for you to be able to concentrate so much on one thing at a time" or something.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nessa posted:

Well, I brought up the concern about my brother possibly having Asperger's with my mom. She said she agreed that he lacks the social graces that most people have, but didn't say anything other than that. She just clammed up when I tried to broach the subject further. Apparently, she took him to the doctor about a year or so ago to talk about his obsessive hand cleansing (with sanitizer). The doctor portrayed it in a positive light, like "good for you to be able to concentrate so much on one thing at a time" or something.

My sister has similar problems to your brother and was eventually diagnosed with severe OCD, so that might be something to look out for. We thought it might be Asperger's or something like that for a while because of the social issues, but as she gets older it becomes more apparent that she can socialize and act normal when she wants to; she just doesn't want to most of the time. She was tested for autism-spectrum disorders a few times as a kid, but always came up with nothing of that sort. It's hard because my mom is also OCD and stopped taking medication for it a long time ago and is mostly fine, so she won't put the screws on my sister getting treatment, which leads to a 28-year-old woman-child who won't leave the house except to buy My Little Pony poo poo. :(

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.

DeepFriedKitten posted:

Hate to say it, zombiepanda, but neither you nor Hanna seem to understand that there's always a chance guys like Tim will snap, especially after years of you two loving with him, and work all that sexual frustration out in the worst way possible.

But hey, maybe it'll make for another funny story, so who am I to say you might want to cut it out?

:stare:

Is the last page advocating seriously what I think it is?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LyonsLions posted:

My sister has similar problems to your brother and was eventually diagnosed with severe OCD, so that might be something to look out for. We thought it might be Asperger's or something like that for a while because of the social issues, but as she gets older it becomes more apparent that she can socialize and act normal when she wants to; she just doesn't want to most of the time. She was tested for autism-spectrum disorders a few times as a kid, but always came up with nothing of that sort. It's hard because my mom is also OCD and stopped taking medication for it a long time ago and is mostly fine, so she won't put the screws on my sister getting treatment, which leads to a 28-year-old woman-child who won't leave the house except to buy My Little Pony poo poo. :(

I'm hoping my brother can get some help in a couple years when he goes to college (via campus therapists). He definitely wants to go into forensics science or something. His science grades are apparently pretty good and he's practically memorized the periodic table after I got him a cool full colour book about the elements a few years ago.

Maybe I should talk to him personally about it? I'd send him some links about various disorders, but he has virtually no presence on the internet. No email, no chat client, no Facebook. He just uses the internet to watch anime.

I've also brought up the possibility of my mom suffering from OCD, as she struggles with hoarding (as does my dad). She's admitted to being depressed, but never does anything about it. Every time I bring up how damaging hoarding can be, she clams up until I change the subject.:/

I am the only one in my immediate family without some form of mental disorder.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

homebrand posted:

Don't know what that's from but drat! That gave me a flashback to a guy I used to know. I think he qualifies for this thread.
Hahah, Charles sounds like a real piece of work.

The audio clip I posted is from a former GBS mod Mayor Wilkins. I don't know if "Ladder Theory" originated on SA or not but he did a good job of reading it and I've kept it around ever since.

homebrand posted:

2) This loving song! Charles showed it to me to demonstrate how super cool this girl was and to this day it makes me feel intensely awkward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85JaogJZPag
Ugh. The song flashed to some anime poo poo and I turned it off. I've known plenty of dudes who liked anime and grew out of it. I know a few who never grew out of it and are probably worthy of this thread if I kept in touch with them. I suppose there have always been creepy people around but why does it seem like the internet and anime brings out the worst in them?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Nessa posted:

I've seen that exact kind of thing before.

Doctors do things like that less of out incompetence and more out of trying to defuse shitheel parents like that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sorry to take this all e/n-y, but while we're talking about it:

Nessa, while your brother getting therapy in college is a good start, he really needs some help to be ready for college in the first place. Assuming he's planning on living in the dorms and not at home, he's in an unusual and stressful situation from Day 1 -- a new housing environment, new responsibilities and expectations, and probably a roommate who isn't used to his "quirks." He'll be responsible for keeping his room clean, doing laundry, getting to classes on time, doing homework without being prompted, and going to dining halls for meals; even for totally neurotypical people, transitioning from living at home to independent college life can be daunting, and it seems safe to say that your brother isn't totally neurotypical. If your mother isn't willing to spring for full-on therapy, is it possible she'd be willing to find him some "life coaching" or something that might prepare him?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Sorry to take this all e/n-y, but while we're talking about it:

Nessa, while your brother getting therapy in college is a good start, he really needs some help to be ready for college in the first place. Assuming he's planning on living in the dorms and not at home, he's in an unusual and stressful situation from Day 1 -- a new housing environment, new responsibilities and expectations, and probably a roommate who isn't used to his "quirks." He'll be responsible for keeping his room clean, doing laundry, getting to classes on time, doing homework without being prompted, and going to dining halls for meals; even for totally neurotypical people, transitioning from living at home to independent college life can be daunting, and it seems safe to say that your brother isn't totally neurotypical. If your mother isn't willing to spring for full-on therapy, is it possible she'd be willing to find him some "life coaching" or something that might prepare him?

I'd kinda doubt it. But I will look it up and suggest it.

There's also no way that he would be living in any dorms. Since my dad isn't likely to sell his house in the next few years, he'll probably live there, like I did and bus to school. He'd be living alone in a house full of junk with janky plumbing. I'm more worried about him trying to survive on cafeteria pizza and getting in trouble for his lack of hygeine, than not doing homework.

It's not likely that my dad would live with him and do chores for him. He decided to overtake my living space when I was there and just fill it with more junk and sit at the dining table all night on his laptop. I paid for all my own food and transportation when I was in college because I had money saved up from working. My brother will likely be given a few grand from my family to pay for tuition and living expenses.

Sorry for going all E/N.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Apple Cider posted:

:stare:

Is the last page advocating seriously what I think it is?

No, it's not.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

homebrand posted:

Charles tells it like it is
One summer we were "camping" in my backyard and the subject of girls came up. I'm pretty sure none of us had started dating yet, so we were mostly just joking around. Charles, who had been quiet up to this point (probably uncomfortable with the subject) launches into this tirade about how girls just want "a guy with money and a two foot dick and they don't care about ANYTHING else!" I should note that he was completely serious and really, really angry about this. That pretty much stopped the conversation, I mean, the guy was practically frothing at the mouth. After a moment of silence he apologizes, explains that none of what he said matters because he "already knows the perfect girl for him." That girl was an anime character from a show called Outlaw Star named Melfina. I remember two things from that show:

1) There were spaceships that fought each other with those wimpy arms that real space shuttles have.

Looking back on it, this guy was a lot weirder than I realized as a kid. A cursory look at facebook implies that he never really grew out of it either. For comparison, Charles has a twin brother who now works at a TV station, while Charles went with his parents when they moved across the country. His latest project seems to be posting newsletters over facebook about anime and videogames and his views of women and society in general, and they haven't changed much since when I knew him :(

I watched Outlaw Star and liking Melfina says a lot about Charles and his views on women.

1. She was a robot. The main character found her naked in a suitcase in the first episode.
2. She is completely, and utterly submissive to everyone, especially the main character. Yeaaaah....
3. I don't actually remember why she was important in the show. She was somehow a key to an ancient ship or planet, but basically it boiled down to the fact her personality, and what she wanted didn't matter at all.

The show was kind of like a downgraded Cowboy Bebop, but the spaceships were interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I watched Outlaw Star and liking Melfina says a lot about Charles and his views on women.

1. She was a robot. The main character found her naked in a suitcase in the first episode.
2. She is completely, and utterly submissive to everyone, especially the main character. Yeaaaah....
3. I don't actually remember why she was important in the show. She was somehow a key to an ancient ship or planet, but basically it boiled down to the fact her personality, and what she wanted didn't matter at all.

The show was kind of like a downgraded Cowboy Bebop, but the spaceships were interesting.

She was like the hyperdrive computer or something. Don't forget she had to get butt rear end naked into a hastily CGI'ed swimsuit in order for them to make the jump to hyperspace. Or something. I don't know. I saw like 4 episodes when it was on cartoon network.

• Locked thread