Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I figured it was some kind of soy MRE type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Grand Fromage posted:

I figured it was some kind of soy MRE type thing.
That's what they want you to think.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

HoldYourFire posted:

I don't know if you got this, but strictly that's from Deus Ex: The Recut rather than the game proper.

I saw that ages ago. Must have been my subconscious remembering something I didn't.

As for the soy food I always assumed it was like an inividually packaged veggie burger. Like these delicious things.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Swolegoat posted:

Just gonna post this here cause it owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZsytldc6Nk

A completely unremarkable video of footage from Deus Ex posted in the service of a racist joke? I think your concept of "owns" may be miscalibrated.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Swolegoat posted:

Just gonna post this here cause it owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZsytldc6Nk

This is the most idiotic thing I've seen all day.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Disregarding the dumb racist video, I actually find how the explosives were used in this video more funny and creative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO8DET8-vBk&t=204s

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Look at how loving cold JC is. Murders Anna in cold blood, then his only comment is "alright, we're alone."

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
With classes and work the games I want to play right now have more or less one path so I can get through it within a few days and move onto the next thing.

See you spring break, Deus Ex, The Witcher and Fallout 2.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have done it at last. I have completed Deus Ex, a game that was starring at me from my steam pile for years (among my first steam purchases.) I feel like I just finished a great novel or something. I feel accomplished. Anyway, it has got to be the weirdest game I've ever played.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Opus125 posted:

I have done it at last. I have completed Deus Ex, a game that was starring at me from my steam pile for years (among my first steam purchases.) I feel like I just finished a great novel or something. I feel accomplished. Anyway, it has got to be the weirdest game I've ever played.
Congrats! Now play it again in a completely different way. :D

Did you talk to Morpheus? That's what I always really want to know.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

jojoinnit posted:

Congrats! Now play it again in a completely different way. :D

No augs, no skills, no items, nonlethal, and reduce the health of both of your legs to 0% so that you can't jump or move faster than a crawl.

It's been done.:psypop:

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Breetai posted:

No augs, no skills, no items, nonlethal, and reduce the health of both of your legs to 0% so that you can't jump or move faster than a crawl.

How did they get past Anna Navarre without killing her without a gas grenade?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Breetai posted:

Deus Ex: Someone's already done that.

Oh no, I forgot to ask what ending he chose! Now I'll never know. :ohdear:

Astroturf Man posted:

Glitched through I'd imagine.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

Deus Ex: Someone's already done that.

Oh no, I forgot to ask what ending he chose! Now I'll never know. :ohdear:

On my last playthrough and listening to Rush, I chose the secret fourth ending, wherein you chose not to decide and begin an eternal staring contest with Bob Page. The world carries on as your perpetual stalemate continues. But JC will ultimately win because his vision is augmented.

My wife wants the laptop back, but Page isn't getting off after a mere six months.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Derek Dominoe posted:

On my last playthrough and listening to Rush, I chose the secret fourth ending, wherein you chose not to decide and begin an eternal staring contest with Bob Page. The world carries on as your perpetual stalemate continues. But JC will ultimately win because his vision is augmented.

My wife wants the laptop back, but Page isn't getting off after a mere six months.

Stay strong brother. Although I believe you're referring to the fifth ending. :colbert:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Astroturf Man posted:

Killswitch.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I just beat the first level for the first time and man, that took forever. I'm the type of person who thinks I'm missing out on something if I don't see the whole level, so I took probably way too long exploring the entire island and looking though everything. Still pretty good though. But, I have a few questions.

Are all the other levels this open/big? I never feel like I can advance unless I'm sure I've seen everything (so, for example, in this level, I explored all around the entire island/docks before going into the Statue, and I went up and down the entire Statue before I freed Gunther and finished the mission) and I think that made it take way too long. Will that be an issue in later levels?

Does the combat get any more fun? I'd prefer to do stealth/nonlethal takedown rather than shooting it out, but I'd like to know I can fall back on the shooting if necessary. In that level, my 10mm and sniper rifle were largely ineffective even at close range. I also have a hard time telling when the crossbow or sniper rifle are actually going to hit their targets.

Steam says the training mission and first level took me 2.5 hours to beat. Granted, I died a lot when first starting because I had no idea, so I eventually looked at a guide and that made it go faster. If the other levels take this long, it's going to take forever to beat the game, and I only really want to play through this to get to DX:HR.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I think it's rare to find a level that's as "big" or "open" as Liberty Island, but in terms of content I'd say that on the first level there's relatively little. If you want to explore everything for the rest of the game (you should) you'll have your work cut out, but in the rest of the game I'd say there's less pure "walking" than in Liberty Island.

Combat will get better as you raise your skills and get weapon mods, not much more I can say than that.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Put a laser on your 10mm pistol (AND ONLY A LASER), never look back. There's a weird glitch, in vanilla anyway, where if you put a laser sight on any gun, it turns into a 100% accuracy death machine. Putting a scope on cancels out the effect though.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dunbar posted:

I just beat the first level for the first time and man, that took forever. I'm the type of person who thinks I'm missing out on something if I don't see the whole level, so I took probably way too long exploring the entire island and looking though everything. Still pretty good though. But, I have a few questions.

Are all the other levels this open/big? I never feel like I can advance unless I'm sure I've seen everything (so, for example, in this level, I explored all around the entire island/docks before going into the Statue, and I went up and down the entire Statue before I freed Gunther and finished the mission) and I think that made it take way too long. Will that be an issue in later levels?

Does the combat get any more fun? I'd prefer to do stealth/nonlethal takedown rather than shooting it out, but I'd like to know I can fall back on the shooting if necessary. In that level, my 10mm and sniper rifle were largely ineffective even at close range. I also have a hard time telling when the crossbow or sniper rifle are actually going to hit their targets.

Steam says the training mission and first level took me 2.5 hours to beat. Granted, I died a lot when first starting because I had no idea, so I eventually looked at a guide and that made it go faster. If the other levels take this long, it's going to take forever to beat the game, and I only really want to play through this to get to DX:HR.

Mostly (although the levels get a little more rushed near the end)
Yes, once you have more skills/augs/better weapons the combat gets pretty good
You eventually get a feel for how the levels work, and searching them becomes easier. Deus Ex can be a pretty overwhelming game at first, just work with it.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Dunbar posted:

If the other levels take this long, it's going to take forever to beat the game, and I only really want to play through this to get to DX:HR.
You should play DX:HR and then come back then, because if you want to explore every nook and cranny it's going to take a while to beat Deus Ex.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Liberty Island is probably one of the most open and nonlinear levels in the game. That said, your habit of checking absolutely everything out isn't really that necessary in DX (even though I'm compelled to do the exact same thing). There are many occasions where you will be faced with multiple routes to the exact same place - in fact a choice like this comes up in the next level, and there's an even bigger split in Hell's Kitchen. You don't need to feel compelled to check out every route. They usually don't put the super rare stuff in these branching paths, and it'll probably be an overall drain on your resources, not to mention take much longer.

The combat definitely does get much more fun. You will need to upgrade your weapons skills or put some mods on them if you want them to be effective. At the beginning when you can't shoot for jack poo poo, I usually stick to sneaking around with the crossbow or the riot prod. Baton is nice for conserving ammo but harder to pull off. You will know the tranq crossbow hits if you hear the enemy grunt every couple seconds. One of the best early game strategies is to tranq a guard and then run away around a corner and wait for him to pass out. Another useful early tool is the pepper spray, with it you can disable an unlimited amount of enemies very quickly and then run away or drop a grenade or whatever, however it is somewhat difficult to use.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 11, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Dunbar posted:

None of the levels are as spaced out and sparse as Liberty Island. Pistols and Rifles become a lot more useful at advanced skill level. Tranq darts will drop enemies in a couple seconds, fast enough that they shouldn't reach an alarm or move far enough away to alert anyone else. And it fires fast so you can dart two or more enemies, find cover and wait for them to KO. Gas grenades also come in handy for non-lethal traps, you can easily dart or prod a whole group caught by gas.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Dunbar posted:

I can't really add any more to what everyone else has said, but rest assured that the game gets exponentially better after Liberty Island. Combat definitely improves also, so don't worry about that. All I can say is that I'm incredibly jealous that you're playing the game for the first time.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
And if you're not liking it, consider playing until at least Hong Kong, the best part of the game. You're getting really combat effective then, as well as receiving more interesting augs and weapons. And the music and quests rule!

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps
Just saw this thread. it's time to play this again. Need my fix of old men.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Csolo posted:

Just saw this thread. it's time to play this again. Need my fix of old men.

That's the thing about Deus Ex. Every time it's mentioned, someone has to play it again. :v:

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Dunbar posted:

I personally just upgraded my pistol and used it as my main weapon. you will always find pistol ammo and putting a red dot on it makes it great for head shots. Amusing you're not a noob and can see the dot on people like 30m away. Also level lock picking. you can get yourself a lot of cool stuff and save yourself a lot of frustration if you're sitting on a gold mine in your inv.

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Anatharon posted:

That's the thing about Deus Ex. Every time it's mentioned, someone has to play it again. :v:

It's crazy. I have deus ex invis war and have never even booted it up. I'm just afraid it's the "Little Deus ex that could" and just sucks real hard.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Csolo posted:

It's crazy. I have deus ex invis war and have never even booted it up. I'm just afraid it's the "Little Deus ex that could" and just sucks real hard.

I really want to see a re-imagining at DEIW that could try to fix it's flaws, but at that point it would probably be better to just make a new game. :(

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Anatharon posted:

I really want to see a re-imagining at DEIW that could try to fix it's flaws, but at that point it would probably be better to just make a new game. :(

I know this is technically a DE thread, but what are the faults in IW? I really want to play it at some point.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Csolo posted:

I know this is technically a DE thread, but what are the faults in IW? I really want to play it at some point.

There's a number, but the things that jumped out at me personally the most are probably the loading times (The game crahses and re-opens itself in every area!) the complete lack of any impact of your actions (Shoot up some Templar? Well, they still ask for your help; I don't mind this one too much, actually) and it being trivial to ring yourself out of the intended playing area by exploring a little too much.

Also universal ammo.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Csolo posted:

It mostly boils down to them using a horrifically unoptimized half-finished engine. Areas are tiny, load times are long, the rear end in a top hat physics are a joke and completely unnecessary, the difficulty level resets every time you transition between areas because the game actually closes and re-launches the program every single time a loading screen pops up, it's ridiculous.

On top of this there are just some bad design decisions, like having two factions you could work for yet both having nearly identical missions and your choices having zero effect since they'll both still ask for your help no matter how many of them you killed in the last mission, or the last few areas of the game being filled with super soldiers decked out with rocket launchers that require more ammo to kill than is possible to have on you, or the horribly unbalanced universal ammo system. The actual story is pretty decent and it has some good gameplay ideas (like being limited to two weapons upgrades per weapon but upgrades having more unique effects like causing EMP damage to robots or noiselessly dissolving glass, passive augmentations, unique weapons) but at it's heart it's a bad game that's gotten worse with age.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Csolo posted:

This is pretty much all you have to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860fXWqbUhs

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Lemming posted:

This is pretty much all you have to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860fXWqbUhs

Wow, I can't believe they didn't stick to the unreal engine. The u2 engine was out then, right?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Csolo posted:

Wow, I can't believe they didn't stick to the unreal engine. The u2 engine was out then, right?

It used a horrible Frankensteinian abomination of the Unreal 2 engine. Like I said earlier it was literally unfinished (the coder left and they were too far behind schedule to do anything but go ahead with it as best they could), and then they bogged it down with a bunch of useless resource-hogging features like physics and a dynamic lighting engine, and then on top of that they built it with the XBOX in mind further limiting it.

One of my favorite factoids about the IW engine is that every weapon in the game uses the exact same texture.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

It used a horrible Frankensteinian abomination of the Unreal 2 engine. Like I said earlier it was literally unfinished (the coder left and they were too far behind schedule to do anything but go ahead with it as best they could), and then they bogged it down with a bunch of useless resource-hogging features like physics and a dynamic lighting engine, and then on top of that they built it with the XBOX in mind further limiting it.

One of my favorite factoids about the IW engine is that every weapon in the game uses the exact same texture.

It really is amazing that the DX: IW engine works period. Having the game restart the .exe every time you enter a new area alone is such an amateur and lovely thing to do that the rest of the game's engine-related flaws (like the bad lighting and the fact that every weapon uses the same texture) are a lot more understandable.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I bought Invisble War under the pretence that it was a good game based on Kieron Gillen's 95% review. I did however end up buying it years after release. And I end up liking it for pretty much the same reason he wrote here (he also reduced the score to 92%).

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Invisible War is a mediocre game, not really a bad one. It has a few cool ideas (like the Omar and NG Resonance) but a lot more flaws. Its main problem is that it's a sequel to one of the greatest games ever and it fails completely in that regard.

The level design in Deus Ex was brilliant. You could accomplish each mission dozens of different ways, all valid. The levels in IW are pretty straightforward and full of loading areas.

The interface and gameplay in Deus Ex were designed for PC, so you got skill points and augmentations and a full inventory system. IW dumbed it down for consoles and had a very limited type of inventory (all items use the same amount of space, so a large gun and a candy bar are equal) and replaced augs and skills with biomods.

The story and dialogue in Deus Ex are brilliant. IW is hardly as nuanced or thought-provoking. I started to zone out halfway through the game and forget which faction was who and what their motivations were. I didn't care anymore, I just wanted to finish the game. When I finished Deus Ex I was disappointed that it wasn't even longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Former Human posted:

The story and dialogue in Deus Ex are brilliant. IW is hardly as nuanced or thought-provoking. I started to zone out halfway through the game and forget which faction was who and what their motivations were. I didn't care anymore, I just wanted to finish the game. When I finished Deus Ex I was disappointed that it wasn't even longer.

I agree. the voice acting is a bit atrocious but I believe it adds to the cyber-punk feel to the game. and it was 2001...they didn't really have the budgets they have today. as for the longevity of the game, I hope you played multiple play throughs