Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

I see some used 5n thats pretty close to 400 (completed auctions), I would get either used NEX3 or 5n. NEX5 doesn't even have a bigger battery, you basically pay 100 more for a better grip.

As for GF2, yes its very cheap. Its your call.

Hmm, I've been looking around, and I haven't been seeing any -5n's going for that cheap, not with a lens attached. Is the 5N or C3 a big enough improvement over the -5 that I'd be better off with one of those (Amazon has a few used C3's with the pancake for ~430).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
5n has noticeable better sensor and can use the EVF. The price I gave was for body only. The NEX kit lens itself is pretty expensive as far as kit lens go.

I have never seen a high ISO RAW comparison between the c3 and the 5n so I don't know how good is the c3. But if its between the 5 and the c3, I would pick the c3.

What kind of manual lens do you plan to use it with?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 11, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

5n has noticeable better sensor and can use the EVF. The price I gave was for body only. The NEX kit lens itself is pretty expensive as far as kit lens go.

I have never seen a high ISO RAW comparison between the c3 and the 5n so I don't know how good is the c3. But if its between the 5 and the c3, I would pick the c3.

What kind of manual lens do you plan to use it with?

Probably be my pentax-m 50mm 1.4 (or 2.0). Or another yashica 50mm. I have a pile of 50mm lenses, and I haven't found anything shorter than that. Yet.

And looking at the comparison shots on dpreview it looks like the 5N has a better sensor than the c3, which has a better sensor than the -5. I think I'm going to try and steal my friends c3 for a day and see how much I like it, and also wait for my new phone to show up to see how good the camera is for that. I keep waffleing between "man a nex would be great, I'd have it with me all the time" to "man, maybe I should sell my d5000 and get a nicer nex, instead of putting money into 2 different systems" to "man a 5100 would be swell".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Finally found an NEX7 in a shop here. I think I'm sold on it over the Fuji.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Finally found an NEX7 in a shop here. I think I'm sold on it over the Fuji.

Over fuji x100 or xpro1? I just got a nex5n and it appears to own but god drat is it stupid that the xpro is coming out with 3 awesome primes and the Nex still has almost no good native lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The NEX lens roadmap doesn't look good either. Although if you have an EVF, you can go MF all the time.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
On a side note, the Fuji x100 got a firmware update this week, and it appears that they fixed AF speed quite substantially (it's not in the patch notes).

Looks like they may have replaced the focus algorithm with the xpro1 secretly, and it's a lot better. MF still sucks, but AF can lock in low light pretty drat well.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

On a side note, the Fuji x100 got a firmware update this week, and it appears that they fixed AF speed quite substantially (it's not in the patch notes).

Looks like they may have replaced the focus algorithm with the xpro1 secretly, and it's a lot better. MF still sucks, but AF can lock in low light pretty drat well.

Is this upgraded from the already-upgraded speed of the previous patch, or from an unpatched at all x100?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Is this upgraded from the already-upgraded speed of the previous patch, or from an unpatched at all x100?

I was using 1.11, now I'm on 1.13. Just checked out the x100 forum and it seems I'm not the only one who notices it being way better. Almost everybody noticed an improvement. It's pretty much a launch camera, maybe a month after release.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

Over fuji x100 or xpro1? I just got a nex5n and it appears to own but god drat is it stupid that the xpro is coming out with 3 awesome primes and the Nex still has almost no good native lenses.

On the other hand you could buy a Nex 5N for the price of one of the XP1 lenses alone. The Nex system wasn't designed from the ground up for enthusiasts and pros looking for backup cameras.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I wish they specified anything on the large aperture standard. Does large aperture mean 1.8 or 1.4, are they targeting a price point or "it costs what it costs", will it be smaller than the kit lens? Same for the "snap (pancake)", is that a pancake for snapshots?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

I was using 1.11, now I'm on 1.13. Just checked out the x100 forum and it seems I'm not the only one who notices it being way better. Almost everybody noticed an improvement. It's pretty much a launch camera, maybe a month after release.

Ugh this is not making my irrational desire for one any weaker...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Ugh this is not making my irrational desire for one any weaker...

Yeah this is pretty much pushing me to get one sooner rather than later, and then the OM-D when it comes out. I have no self control. If I take one camera for travelling later this year, it will probably be the X100 since I don't want to deal with lens changing.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Some new X-Pro 1 images posted today: http://brandonremler.blogspot.com/2012/02/fujifilm-x-pro1-random-shots.html

I try and tell myself that I don't need another camera system but I love the X100 and 50 and 90mm would come in handy so I'm just lying to myself.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

So is the price for the Xpro1 system :v:

I guess I'd have to see a side-by-side comparison of the two (which may be a long time coming) to see if there's a big leap in image quality, but I doubt it's going to be enough to justify the much higher pricetag. I'm not really interested in being able to buy pricey first party primes; I use mirrorless cameras primarily as a platform for older manual focus lenses, and just want something that'll let me MF easily and does well at high ISO. The thought of paying $600 for a 50mm f/1.4 equivalent is just kinda :rolleyes: for me.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I think the NEX system is still pretty clearly the best platform for adapting manual lenses due to focus peaking and that great OLED finder (for the 5n and 7, anyway). Unless Fuji does something really clever with their M-mount adapter, the X-mount system appears like it's going to be most useful if you're willing to dish out for 1st party lenses.

Still, Sony is going to have to produce a lot more in the lens department. You can't release a camera like the NEX-7 and then have one lens (that costs almost as much as the camera) that can really take advantage of it. A Zeiss (or G, whatever that is) zoom lens will be nice, but I imagine it will also be quite big for what is thought of as a compact system and Sony's other efforts have been mediocre at best so far.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Just bought an OM-D.

They still don't know the official shipping date but amazon Japan says March 30.

Gonna be a great update to my E-P1.

EDIT: Also Olympus is running a promotion here for a free weather sealed 4/3 adapter or high speed SD card if you send in your pre order receipt, so if anyone else is getting one make sure you check your territory for similar stuff.

Lon Lon Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 12, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone who uses old lenses have a suggestion for NEX users on a cheap but good 50mm equivalent? I have a couple FD lenses that I like, and there is that FD Thorium 35mm f2 (I need to look into those in terms of both price and quality, really only seen references so far), but I would be open to getting another adapter for some other brand if there were a way to get a nice, wide aperture lens that could get me close to 50mm on the cheap.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

Does anyone who uses old lenses have a suggestion for NEX users on a cheap but good 50mm equivalent? I have a couple FD lenses that I like, and there is that FD Thorium 35mm f2 (I need to look into those in terms of both price and quality, really only seen references so far), but I would be open to getting another adapter for some other brand if there were a way to get a nice, wide aperture lens that could get me close to 50mm on the cheap.

I'm a fan of the Olympus Pen 38mm f/1.8 on the NEX. It's compact (and so is the adapter) and can focus really close. I used mine a lot, until I got a good deal on the Pen 42mm f/1.2, its more expensive cousin. You can pick up the 38mm for $100 or less; I'm actually going to be selling mine (along with a Pen F body) in the near future if you're interested.

edit: sorry, cursory glance at eBay completed auctions indicates it's probably a bit over $100 for a user (but not bad) copy of the lens now. Still a pretty good deal if you can find one!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 14, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Konica ar 40mm/1.8

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

Any old 28mm f/2.8 lens. The Nex is good enough at high ISO that it'll make up for the difference between f/2.8 and, say, f/1.8. I use both the Pentax and Olympus versions of the 28mm and both are tasty.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Any old 28mm f/2.8 lens. The Nex is good enough at high ISO that it'll make up for the difference between f/2.8 and, say, f/1.8. I use both the Pentax and Olympus versions of the 28mm and both are tasty.

Olympus 28 3.5 is better than the 2.8, and it's like $50-70. I'm going to be getting one soon.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can I put on a Zeiss planar 50 1.4 on a nex?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you have an appropriate adapter, sure.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check out that Olympus 38mm and the Konica AR. I probably won't be looking into any 28mm 2.8 lenses just because 1) I have a 24mm f2 that I am fairly satisfied with at the moment, and I am really looking for something to fill the gap between that and my 50mm 1.8. And 2) ~the bokeh~. Only issue with that Konica is it takes me a bit past a 50mm equivalent - possibly too close to the 75mm equivalent I get with the 50mm lens - but they do seem to be nice and cheap, so harder to not at least give it a shot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
In that case I am pretty much set on a nex 7 with a canon adapter. For the price of a x1pro body alone I can have the nex with the zeiss.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

In that case I am pretty much set on a nex 7 with a canon adapter. For the price of a x1pro body alone I can have the nex with the zeiss.

Why not get the C/Y Zeiss lens? The canon costs a lot more because it's auto aperture for canon body-- doesn't make much difference if you're adapting it to e-mount.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

moonduck posted:

Still, Sony is going to have to produce a lot more in the lens department. You can't release a camera like the NEX-7 and then have one lens (that costs almost as much as the camera) that can really take advantage of it. A Zeiss (or G, whatever that is) zoom lens will be nice, but I imagine it will also be quite big for what is thought of as a compact system and Sony's other efforts have been mediocre at best so far.
G lenses are the Sony/Minolta designation for pro-quality, non-Zeiss lenses. Think of it as the Sony equivalent of Canon's L glass.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

keyframe posted:

Is it a ZE lens? If it's possible see if you like the feel of a larger lens on a body as small as a NEX. If you already have a 5DII or something and you slap a decent sized slr lens on a NEX you lose the bonus of a slightly more compact system and it has the potential to feel pretty weird ergonomically.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

East Lake posted:

Is it a ZE lens? If it's possible see if you like the feel of a larger lens on a body as small as a NEX. If you already have a 5DII or something and you slap a decent sized slr lens on a NEX you lose the bonus of a slightly more compact system and it has the potential to feel pretty weird ergonomically.

Yea it is a ZE 50mm. It is smaller than the nex kitlens though, hardly anything big.

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/planart1450.function.html

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

keyframe posted:

Yea it is a ZE 50mm. It is smaller than the nex kitlens though, hardly anything big.

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/planart1450.function.html

Afaik there is no canon-next adapter with aperture control. I know that conrus is working on one that should be out soon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Afaik there is no canon-next adapter with aperture control. I know that conrus is working on one that should be out soon.
Its out and it cost 400 bucks.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Larger lenses with a mirrorless body aren't that bad if you work at it. What I do is I use an overhand grip and press the shutter button with my middle finger instead of my index finger. That way I can hold on to the body with a more solid grip and work the focus and/or zoom rings with more freedom. It also makes going back and forth between portrait and landscape mode a lot more seamless because you retain the same grip while rotating the camera.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Some image samples of the E-M5 (including RAW): http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1381/compact-olympus-om-d-e-m5-exemples-photos-15.html

Some of the other samples I've seen going around haven't been too impressive or interesting but these look pretty promising, I think.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If only it was ZF or ZF.2 :(

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Its out and it cost 400 bucks.
Thanks- I have limited internet access for several months. Sucks that it is so expensive, was hoping it would be much less than that.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Bob Socko posted:

G lenses are the Sony/Minolta designation for pro-quality, non-Zeiss lenses. Think of it as the Sony equivalent of Canon's L glass.

Thanks, I figured it had to be something like that. I still don't think Sony's roadmap is as aggressive as it needs to be.

keyframe posted:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE...0.function.html

Are you planning to still use the ZE on your Canon or are you making a full switch? If it's the latter, why not try to find a way to sell the ZE 50 and buy a ZM one. The adapter won't have to account for such a great flange distance difference and both ZM 50's are pretty great lenses (the f/1.5 Sonnar has quite a unique character and the f/2 is a brilliant performer.

edit - or have you not bought it yet?

moonduck fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 15, 2012

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Does the ZE not have an aperture ring on the barrel?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Does the ZE not have an aperture ring on the barrel?

Nope, it's electronically controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Saw the E-M5 samples posted on Focus Numerique, and I have to say they look VERY good. Some guys downloaded the raw files and ran them through some analysis, concluding that the sensor appears to beat out the GX1 as well as GH2.

April needs to arrive soon!