Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HiddenReplaced posted:

hahaha I love that one! that's "stat", right - ie, "keep as is" ? usually when a partner made a correction then changed their mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

entris posted:

hahaha I love that one! that's "stat", right - ie, "keep as is" ? usually when a partner made a correction then changed their mind?
"stet". but yeah.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know what's amusing? You are correct, it's "stet" but I've seen it mostly spelled "stat". Ha, silly partners.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Roger_Mudd posted:

The thing I've never understood, if your going over the document, why not just add the loving commas yourself (not you directly). I understand handing it back to the associate if something needs rewording but I don't get handing a document back to an associate for minor punctuation or formatting changes.

The only rational I can find is that the normal process is more inefficient thus producing more billables.
If you're looking at a editable version on your computer and the only mistakes are commas and other trivialities, you'll just fix it. In most cases this is what I've seen even pretty senior people do. But if you are reviewing a document, you generally expect there to be multiple issues, so you start out with a printed version. As you go through the printout, you'll mark every mistake you find, whether it is minor or major. Sometimes commas will be the only thing, but usually not.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can I use this thread to ask about car accident related stuff, or is there somewhere better I suited for that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adama posted:

Can I use this thread to ask about car accident related stuff, or is there somewhere better I suited for that?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Older lady depositions are just the worst. She won't stop crying about everything.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ask her about her history of drug abuse.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thanks!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ask her about her history of drug abuse.

Her attorney kept using it as a chance to grandstand on the record. The first time she cried we tried to go off the record so she could go to the bathroom and compose herself, but he goes "No! I want this on the record so they can see how my client is emotionally distraught and crying."

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Why the gently caress can't partners use "track changes" on their loving computers?

YOUR CHICKEN SCRATCH NOTES ON MY GOD drat MOTION MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ME.

We have the same phenomenon in my line of work, and I actually prefer handwritten edits. Since I tend to have better attention to formatting detail than my very busy boss(es), hard copy edits mean that I don't have to worry about them putting an extra space or forgetting to track some changes while leaving others, etc. It basically saves me from having to re-read the whole thing and lets me focus on making needed changes and getting the piece published.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Star?
Stat?
Stut?
Stur?
lmao

also, since sunday here at my lifestyle firm, I have billed 11, 11, 16, 14, and 10
and I'm still a jillion hours behind thanks to a lovely january

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Meanwhile, at 4PM on Friday, my boss came in and said, "you know you can leave, right?"

Edit. Still here because my job is interesting. Is something wrong with me?

nm fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 11, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Video conference was a poo poo show, but it helped break the ice.

Also I got to tell my story about being kicked out of Le Bernardin.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Also I got to tell my story about being kicked out of Le Bernardin.
Need to hear about this.

So, I have to go talk to some High School AP class in a month or so. How do i talk them out of law school without pissing off the teacher and my boss?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

Need to hear about this.

So, I have to go talk to some High School AP class in a month or so. How do i talk them out of law school without pissing off the teacher and my boss?

Emphasize the long hours and tell them they have to REALLY want it, to the point where they don't mind neglecting family, friends, and sleep to make sure that their client wins. And that they have to love the law.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Whatever, when I got kicked out of Dorsia I offered my reservation to Paul Allen as a joke over iPhone skype.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Emphasize the long hours and tell them they have to REALLY want it, to the point where they don't mind neglecting family, friends, and sleep to make sure that their client wins. And that they have to love the law.
Except that I work 8-5.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

"You should only go into law if you love abstract concepts more than the people in your life, including yourself."

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nm posted:

Need to hear about this.

I was chosen to speak to a young high school kid who was shadowing our office because they wanted to go into "air force law." I cross examined her for about 10 minutes about her career choice and implied she would probably get her entire command of secretaries and paralegals killed in Afghanistan.

I am not allowed to participate in job shadowing anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ersatz posted:

"You should only go into law if you love abstract concepts more than the people in your life, including yourself."

The problem is that this might backfire for the nerds in the audience

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

Talk about how the nation needs nurses badly and that everyone loves nurses.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

nm posted:

This doesn't directly answer your question but you should impress upon them the importance of grades during undergrad and to major in something that will help them land a normal job. I would have really liked someone to have told me that.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

nm posted:

http://sowhatimhearingyousayis.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/the-anger/

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
So I just wrote the LSAT. When can I put esq. on my business cards?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

rockin peanut posted:

So I just wrote the LSAT. When can I put esq. on my business cards?

I know you're joking, but never. Don't refer to yourself as esquire even if you're a lawyer, eww.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

MoFauxHawk posted:

I know you're joking, but never. Don't refer to yourself as esquire even if you're a lawyer, eww.
If you are a lawyer it can be useful to use Esq. sometimes just to make clear that someone is a lawyer. E.g., "Notice shall be sent to XYZ Corporation, Attn: Joe McDouche, Esq."

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Ani posted:

If you are a lawyer it can be useful to use Esq. sometimes just to make clear that someone is a lawyer. E.g., "Notice shall be sent to XYZ Corporation, Attn: Joe McDouche, Esq."

But if you're instructing somebody to send something "Attn: Joe McDouche, Esq.", it's a third person address.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Schitzo posted:

Question for the prosecutors in the house: I assume that over time you build working relationships with defence counsel, and have a decent feel for who is reasonable and who isn't.

If a historically reasonable defence counsel ends up taking a hyper-aggresive position because their client instructs them to, do you hold it against the lawyer? Or just shrug it off as clients being clients?

I work in a small town where every lawyer is on a first name basis with every other lawyer. We in the prosecutor's office know exactly how reasonable each lawyer is on average, which one we can trust, and which are easy to work with.

If an otherwise easy to work with lawyer goes bananas in a case, we know he's got a crazy client who is paying him lots of money (or, if they're a PD, just a crazy client). We in no way hold that against them. We especially appreciate it if we get stopped in the hall and they give us a heads up about a particular client, so both of us know not to take the time to try to negotiate or plea bargain, and we can prepare for the eleven bizarre motions that are coming.

In summary, we don't care about hyper-aggressive clients (but we do care about hyper-aggressive lawyers).

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

MoFauxHawk posted:

But if you're instructing somebody to send something "Attn: Joe McDouche, Esq.", it's a third person address.
Oops, you said refer to yourself. I think it might still be useful if you for whatever reason want to make clear you are a lawyer in some professional context; I can't think of when this would come up, but I'm sure it does.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Ani posted:

Oops, you said refer to yourself. I think it might still be useful if you for whatever reason want to make clear you are a lawyer in some professional context; I can't think of when this would come up, but I'm sure it does.

When you need to make sure its clear that you are a lawyer you sign correspondence "John Smith, Attorney at Law."

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

J Miracle posted:

When you need to make sure its clear that you are a lawyer you sign correspondence "John Smith, Attorney at Law."

I don't practice anymore, so if I need someone to know I'm an attorney for whatever reason, like writing letters of recommendation for my students, I put JD after my name.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Dr. Roger_Mudd, Esq. BS, JD

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dr. Roger_Mudd, Esq. BS, JD

You forgot QT.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
and BYOB.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Hello law thread. I recently got into a law degree in Australia. I shall now lurk this thread forever.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sharks Below posted:

Hello law thread. I recently got into a law degree in Australia. I shall now lurk this thread forever.

Congrats dude. Australia is opposite-world from the US, so the legal market there is brimming with well-paying opportunities, the cost of legal education is reasonable, and the profession itself is a meaningful affair with a good work-life balance.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

entris posted:

Congrats dude. Australia is opposite-world from the US, so the legal market there is brimming with well-paying opportunities, the cost of legal education is reasonable, and the profession itself is a meaningful affair with a good work-life balance.

Oh cool. I currently work for Legal Aid in QLD so I am seeing at least the meaningful side of it. The solicitors I work with at the moment are pretty inspiring in terms of being decent people with meaningful jobs :shobon:

Is the legal profession really that hard up for positions in the US? Isn't litigation alive and well over there?

E: God that was obnoxious. I'm sorry. I genuinely didn't realise there were job shortages.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't actually know anything about the Australian legal market - I was just painting a picture of a utopia for lawyers where the women are plentiful and have hot accents and we all have jobs and life is just so grand. This is the Australia that I want to believe in.

(you didn't come across as obnoxious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From the Hilarious things you did as a kid thread...

quote:

My dad was trying to become a partner with this huge law firm when I was about 3 years old. To earn so brownie points, he brought me and my two older sisters (9 and 13 years old) to a really fancy Christmas party they were having. Naturally, the three of us got really bored and started roaming the building, going through people's offices. My oldest sister found a permanent marker in one of the desks and wrote something on my hand. I was too young to read but both of my sisters were cracking up and told me to "go show Daddy".

Poor Dad was chatting up these lawyers and their wives, totally commanding the crowd and making everyone laugh, when I come running up. There were a bunch of "awwws" from the women in till I showed what was written on my hand to the crowd:

"I AM A human being"

I will never forget the gasps and the look of absolute horror on one old lady's face. My dad couldn't have scooped me up faster and ran away if he tried. Needless to say, my sisters got in to big trouble but my dad did make partner

Gay slurs aside, I still find this hilarious but my dad still can't laugh at it.

Word to the wise: beat your children appropriately so that they behave well at your firm's events.