Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of or use knee pads for skating practice?

I whacked my knee the other day after a blowout, and have been stiff ever since. I've been eyeballing knee pads that skateboarders use, and I'm not entirely sure if they offer the right kind of protection.. they seem more geared towards abrasions than absorbing blows?

I'm not really keen on bringing my shin guards to a free skate, it seems kind of overkill (plus they would look ridiculous over jeans).

You could try wearing wrestling or volleyball knee pads. You could probably wear them under your jeans they'd at least offer some padding if you bang your knee into the ice.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
e; ^^^ Volleyball pads are a good idea.

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of or use knee pads for skating practice?

I whacked my knee the other day after a blowout, and have been stiff ever since. I've been eyeballing knee pads that skateboarders use, and I'm not entirely sure if they offer the right kind of protection.. they seem more geared towards abrasions than absorbing blows?

I'm not really keen on bringing my shin guards to a free skate, it seems kind of overkill (plus they would look ridiculous over jeans).

My knees are kind of bad and for what it's worth I wear my shin guards to free skates all the time. They do in fact look silly but I don't think anybody gives a drat honestly.

WuChou fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 10, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Signed up for an 11-session adult skills clinic for $200 :toot:

The same guys did a similar clinic last spring except fewer sessions and it was super helpful and I've picked up a lot of bad habits since then that hopefully I can work past.

Also it'll be nice to get on the ice more than once a week.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The game before ours today had 32 goals scored. Ours had 13. (almost) Everyone is laid back, and it's pretty much drop-in with refs - or at least that's the demeanor.

Sweet jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick I love Lunch League. More places should have it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Awesome Animals posted:

And speaking of Z-Bubbles. The Z-Bubble Grip was my favorite stick ever. Only stick I used in High School. I went through a lot.

Same.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Doing my second outdoor game tomorrow morning. We just got snow tonight so it should be all winter classic style. Plus I'm going to be on my new skates. Super pumped

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I hate when your teammate writes for a blog and tweets that he is drinking someone someone in the parking lot after a game and doesn't include you :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kick him off the team.

If he writes blogs, he probably sucks anyway.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm going to drop-in tonight, wearing a full cage for the first time in several years.

I've been rocking the visor for a long time, but I just feel at this point that I shouldn't risk it. I already had one close call a few years ago when a stick badly busted my nose but luckily somehow it wasn't broken. I don't trust the people around me, sadly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm still learning how to skate and I would love to wear knee pads.

Anyway, the ascics gel volleyball knee pads have pretty good coverage. I wore them under my floor hockey pads and playing airsoft.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-jacket-carlton-blazer.html

:chord:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Hoooooly poo poo Fresh Prince inside-out style. The review is pretty good..."Cons: Too many style points. Too many women."

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
We had a guy "try out" for my team last night and he is a cool dude and pretty good at hockey. Problem is he is from Vancouver and a Canucks fans.. should we hold that against him?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I started learning how to skate last month, but purchased skates around December. The saktes were purchased before I found this thread and thus are pretty cheap $80 Easton EQ 10s.

My problem is I can skate fine in them for around 10 minutes, then my feet start killing me. I am not sure if it's the skate, or that I make them too tight, or what.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Notes that may help: I purchased them too large, being half a size more than what I need. I brought them in for a refund, but they were already sharpened, and so they baked them for free and threw in some wax laces. This makes it way better and doesn't feel like I am skating in boats, so I'm happy.

I also tight them really tight, because if I don't, I feel like I am stepping on the skate rather than the skate being part of me.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 11, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

We had a guy "try out" for my team last night and he is a cool dude and pretty good at hockey. Problem is he is from Vancouver and a Canucks fans.. should we hold that against him?

Absolutely

Dead Man Posting posted:

I started learning how to skate last month, but purchased skates around December. The saktes were purchased before I found this thread and thus are pretty cheap $80 Easton EQ 10s.

My problem is I can skate fine in them for around 10 minutes, then my feet start killing me. I am not sure if it's the skate, or that I make them too tight, or what.

Notes that may help: I purchased them too large, being half a size more than what I need. I brought them in for a refund, but they were already sharpened, and so they baked them for free and threw in some wax laces. This makes it way better and doesn't feel like I am skating in boats, so I'm happy.

I also tight them really tight, because if I don't, I feel like I am stepping on the skate rather than the skate being part of me.

Get some Superfeet insoles and start saving up for skates that fit. And then transfer the Superfeet to the new skates when you get them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

They're probably too tight. You really only need the last 3-4 eyelets to be tight to secure your foot in the skate.. experiment with putting zero tension on the toe area and see if that helps.

I had the same issue, it took me months to figure out a way to lace up without my feet exploding in pain after 5 minutes.

What part of your foot, specifically, hurts?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

Do you really want the Canadian playing against you? Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

Skates take a long while to break in for me, so give it some time. (I'd imagine it's even harder to break skates in if you're just learning how to skate.) Even if I bake new skates they hurt like a bitch for at least a little while. But yeah, like xzzy was saying, experiment with the tightness of the laces (make sure they're waxed) on the top and bottom of the boot.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do you mean top and bottom? xzzy said to leave the bottom a little loose. So I am confused here. But I tighten as possible every part of the skate.

Also some random guy that was watching his son practice ice hockey said I should wrap the laces around the top to give it more support. I never seen this done before, and I tried it with one and didn't notice a change. Is this a thing?

To xzzy: the bottom of my feet. The entire bottom of the foot, especially the arch.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 12, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I just meant experiment and see what makes it feel better but come to think of it leaving the top loose would be silly, so ignore that part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

What do you mean top and bottom? xzzy said to leave the bottom a little loose. So I am confused here. But I tighten as possible every part of the skate.

"Top" would be the eyelets by your ankle.. the top 2 or 3 holes. It varies among brands. "Bottom" is the eyelets by your toes, or basically everything else. I believe he was suggesting varying tightness at different spots on the boot, see if you can find something that works.

You technically only need to tighten the top significantly as it keeps your heel locked in the heel of the boot. The toes are mostly preference.

quote:

Also some random guy that was watching his son practice ice hockey said I should wrap the laces around the top to give it more support. I never seen this done before, and I tried it with one and didn't notice a change. Is this a thing?

To xzzy: the bottom of my feet. The entire bottom of the foot, especially the arch.

Some people do wrap their laces around their ankle, I think it's mostly preference (or a sign of buying the wrong laces). Some people suggest it's an injury risk but I don't see how. As for aiding in support, I don't buy that either. If the boot itself isn't supporting your ankle, laces aren't going to do much more.

If it's your arches bugging you, superfeet could definitely help. It could also be conditioning, you may have stiff tendons so your foot is cramping up. You can find stretches for your arches all over the internet, do them a few times a day to try and loosen them up. It'll take a few weeks but may help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I just meant experiment and see what makes it feel better but come to think of it leaving the top loose would be silly, so ignore that part.

I made the mistake of trying to walk around after loosening my skates last week.. I drat near broke an ankle just crossing the locker room. :gonk:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'll try superfeet per Thufir and yours suggestion. And I might try to find some of those stretches.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyguy posted:

I'm going to drop-in tonight, wearing a full cage for the first time in several years.
...and it took me all of 20 minutes before I switched back. I wasn't seeing the puck well at all, especially when it was at my feet. My half-shield is a pretty large aviator style, so maybe I should just invest in a decent mouthpiece.

I was able to use a full cage just fine for over 10 years, but it's been at least 8 or 9 since I've used one last.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

You technically only need to tighten the top significantly as it keeps your heel locked in the heel of the boot. The toes are mostly preference.

It's actually the middle of the boot that locks your heel in, but a lot of it comes down to feel

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Less expensive skates tend to have thinner tongues, so you have to be careful about how tightly you do the top 2-3 eyelets. Lace bite is a bitch.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I don't have a league game next weekend, hockey day in america my rear end :argh:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My team is getting jersey and we are going to get a few extra for subs/part time guys.. What are some "douchebag" numbers we can put on the jersey? 99 and 66 are obvious but any other suggestions ?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

69 is always pretty drat douchey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Thufir posted:

I don't have a league game next weekend, hockey day in america my rear end :argh:

Likewise. Stupid tournaments.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

poser posted:

My team is getting jersey and we are going to get a few extra for subs/part time guys.. What are some "douchebag" numbers we can put on the jersey? 99 and 66 are obvious but any other suggestions ?

00 is a clear winner

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think I need to go ahead and get that ez goal with the backstop because I broke two slats on my fence today while shooting in the backyard because I missed the bedsheet on a clothesline I was shooting at. Oops.

On the plus side I think I've figured out how to take snapshots and they are awesome.

e: Looks like I can get it for $158 shipped from hockeyshot.com using a 10% off coupon code, anyone know of a better deal?

http://www.hockeyshot.com/EZ_Goal_Pro_Steel_FOLDING_Goal_p/goal-0012in-backstop.htm

Thufir fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 12, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Note to self: don't go to stick and puck on the weekends. There's over 40 people here, most of which are younger than 10.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone wear 99 in a league game.

I would probably take a roughing penalty against them, just because.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

87 also works for rage-inducement. Unless you headshot them and ruin their beer-league career I guess.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
88 and 14 work if you want people to think they're racist.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you think you are good (or even serviceable) at hockey and/or your strengths involve speed, accurate passing, or shooting, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. That'll knock you down a few pegs.

or

If you think you've got chemistry with some friends you play with, you should try playing in a pond hockey tournament. It'll be a good test and chemistry is easily the most important thing if you want to do well.

That being said it is really, really, really fun.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 13, 2012

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

poser posted:

I liked it when Tosh got ".0" on his.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

To be fair, I'd be furious if I ran out of yellow and black for my bumblebee tape job. White tape is for chumps.

You and your bumblebee colors, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can find a place that will do it, put fractions on your spare jerseys.

Then you can use the "all the regular numbers were retired :v:" line.