Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

fatherdog posted:

This is true; it's one of the unfortunate things about training where you get really too used to playing from the bottom without the option of standing up. You can see where at one point I stood up and tried to get the guillotine, but it was too little, too late.

This is why at the club I'm at we've started running a class thats basically wrestling practice with submissions. Just really focusing on developing that wrestling mindset of being agressive pushing the pace, getting the take-down and getting top position. Trying to make it second nature to stand up and get a take-down or reverse to top-position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

westcoaster posted:

This is why at the club I'm at we've started running a class thats basically wrestling practice with submissions. Just really focusing on developing that wrestling mindset of being agressive pushing the pace, getting the take-down and getting top position. Trying to make it second nature to stand up and get a take-down or reverse to top-position.

This is something I'm trying to work on at my gym, too. I'll never be at the level of guys who spent 4+ years wrestling in school, but I really want to have something other than "hug and collapse" to get the fight on the ground at next month's tournament.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Yuns posted:

Out of butterfly I'll post my hand on the opposite side of his front leg out then S out my legs to the other side and shoot forward on my knees while grabbing the heel of his front leg with my head to the inside of his knee and collect up the back knee for the low double as I circle into him.

I do something similar, I kick my heel way back from butterfly to go into a kneel with some forward momentum (with some practice I don't need to post an arm to assist anymore, and I still launch forward fairly quickly for a non-head dive), and then single leg to standing, where I trip the other leg and look to pass during the fall. We're taught to consider disengaging as soon as the opponent has any sort of positional advantage, so it actually comes up a lot even in practice.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
all i noticed was fatherdog doing the kj noons and i can appreciate that

i'm thinking about joining a traditional wrestling gym (as in not mma wrestling).
1. how likely is it that these people practice in singlets?
2. i should expect to buy wrestling shoes, right?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Paul Pot posted:

i'm thinking about joining a traditional wrestling gym (as in not mma wrestling).

1. Probably not
2. Most definitely. Big difference in your shooting and ability to drive, plus less likely to turn a toe in the mats.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Since someone posted g in a gi a little while back, I'm sure ya'll will appreciate the newest musical gem from Halek Gracie. FIGHT NIGHT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pC3dQd-JQFU!

E: If you have spotify, you can check out his entire album. This is actually the best song on the album and yet it's so bad.

This would be better if it wasn't all surrounding a fight that he only won because the ref LIFTED SAKU IN THE AIR to create enough space for Ralek to escape.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Haven't seen the video yet, but according to some people and his own face Hall got screwed pretty bad:

Also Galvao and Mendes steamrolled their weights apparently

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paul Pot posted:

1. Nobody practices in singlets. Shorts and a tshirt or rash guard is what you'll see people in.
2. Yes. You'll be expected to get them pretty quickly

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

fatherdog posted:

The key to the d'arce is getting your shoulder through so that he doesn't have a high underhook, ie an underhook with his hand on your shoulder or trapezius, which would prevent you from rotating your shoulder in the way he shows and getting the full d'arce position. You want to restrict your opponent to having a low underhook, across your back or in "grabbing the belt" position, because that won't prevent you from driving the shoulder in - and that was in fact what my opponent had, which is why he wasn't able to prevent me from driving the shoulder in and locking up the d'arce.

D'arce question: I always have issues with the blade of my wrist putting pressure an inch or so behind the carotid resulting in a neck crush instead of cutting off blood. My hand is usually on my bicep but I'm wondering if my problem is that I'm still not getting my choking arm deep enough. Based on what you're describing, it sounds like you're really exaggerating the "old-timey boxing uppercut" motion to get your shoulder all the way into his armpit?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
For anybody who wants to watch some Wrestling, the Division 1 "Final Four" dual meet tournament is this weekend in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Regionals were held last weekend and these four teams were the winners of their regions.

#1 Oklahoma St. vs #4 Illinois

#2 Iowa vs #3 Minnesota

I believe the semis are at 11 AM central and the finals are at 6 pm. They haven't announced whether it'll be streaming or on Fox Sports, once they do I'll post that info.

There will be a lot of really good wrestling at this event, and the dual meet format adds an extra level of tension.

The common team among the four for duals this year is Iowa. So far this season:
Iowa beat Illinois 20-13
Iowa Beat Minnesota 19-17
Oklahoma State beat Iowa 17-16

All of those scores are within one match of a different dual winner, so there should be lots of close matches and close meets on Saturday.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fleshpeg posted:

D'arce question: I always have issues with the blade of my wrist putting pressure an inch or so behind the carotid resulting in a neck crush instead of cutting off blood. My hand is usually on my bicep but I'm wondering if my problem is that I'm still not getting my choking arm deep enough. Based on what you're describing, it sounds like you're really exaggerating the "old-timey boxing uppercut" motion to get your shoulder all the way into his armpit?

Yeah, generally you want to drive it in as deeply as possible, although to some extent you can correct after the fact by using the locking up of your hands to "drag" it in deeper.

There's a lot of "feel" involved with the choke. I basically did nothing but it for months in training before I felt like I'd really got it down.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure this topic has come before but anyway, I asked Robert Drysdale about the crush vs choke and whether there's a secret to doing a proper choke.

He said that 90% of time it's gonna be a crush.

He also said that he doesn't care, as long as he gets the tap.

I seem to remember someone on here posted about some other big name (Galvao?) who also said it's usually a crush.

I wonder if it's dependent on arm size/type as to whether it's easily done.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

huh posted:

I'm sure this topic has come before but anyway, I asked Robert Drysdale about the crush vs choke and whether there's a secret to doing a proper choke.

He said that 90% of time it's gonna be a crush.

He also said that he doesn't care, as long as he gets the tap.

That's interesting, since one of the things that I've noticed from his instructionals is he doesn't put a lot of emphasis on driving the shoulder in.

Ultimately if you're getting a tap and you're not doing it so fast that it's a danger to your partner it doesn't matter much, but I get mostly choke taps with it, and the number of people I've seen put to sleep in competition indicates that a lot of other people are as well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've been told similar things if I get an arm triangle standing. I've got shortish arms though.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I've been working on single leg takedowns as my bnb for a good year now and I think I'm about to give up on it and go back to a double leg. Most of the time when I manage to get everything right (my attacking (right) foot on the outside, not in between the other guys feet,nice low shot, etc) on it and manage to get to the ankle I either a) if the guy is a better wrestler than me he will absolutely smash me down if I do not get an immediate take down and am forced to fight for the top from the turtle guard. Or b) I get the leg but the guy is way too balanced for me to get down in a swift fluid motion so I tend to push forward and sometimes it knocks him back onto the ground other times ill get caught in something stupid like a guillotine if I gently caress up the shot.

It's stupidly frustrating that something like a single leg take down can have so many nuances. Im thinking of working on a single leg like sakurabas where I grab the ankle but also spin around to the side. gently caress take downs though holy poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In my experience doubles are hard to get but easy to finish once you get them, and singles are the opposite. That's more standing/snatch singles though, and it sounds like you're trying to do a John Smith/okie low single, which can be a bit rougher and has a lot more fiddly technique involved.

EDIT: vv also that

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 15, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think you should be focusing first on the high single not the low single. Also single legs at least the ones I use don't rely on ankle control. Please describe in a very detailed manner what it is that you are doing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That low single stuff is hard. I'm a bad wrestler but any time I've gotten a low single, usually standing from guard, I'll try to climb to a higher position before even considering the takedown. I watch guys finish with only ankle control on those ncaa highlights and it looks like magic.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I have the most european singles and doubles. I know you're supposed to change levels and shoot for takedowns, and I can do it for drills, but god drat it if genetics don't dictate that I just lean forwards and try to grab those loving legs.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 15, 2012

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I'm a good wrestler and I'll tell you that most people don't mess with the low single unless that's your game. So much more difficult to learn and finish. Unless your name is John Smith or Cael Sanderson, in which case go nuts. For fun my senior year of high school I tried to develop a low single and while I did it pretty well on guys I could beat anyway, in any competitive match it was a bad thing to do. That was after 10+ years wrestling.

I'm not telling you don't do it, but most people are better served sticking to other takedowns.

Edit - In college I completely abandoned the work I did on the low single.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not a good wrestler but I've found that unless I'm rolling with someone with perfect technique and a lot of speed, I can usually just stuff a low single by controlling their head and either putting my weight on them and forcing them to turtle or just spin and get my leg out.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker

1st AD posted:

I'm not a good wrestler but I've found that unless I'm rolling with someone with perfect technique and a lot of speed, I can usually just stuff a low single by controlling their head and either putting my weight on them and forcing them to turtle or just spin and get my leg out.

Bingo

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Are low singles really that hard to do? I had no idea, I just started trying to learn how to do them a few months ago because I saw a few videos online and decided to try and work them into my game because of how effortless they seem.

Then again, yeah, it was top level guys like Cael and John Smith i was watching.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Oh Em Gee posted:

Are low singles really that hard to do? I had no idea, I just started trying to learn how to do them a few months ago because I saw a few videos online and decided to try and work them into my game because of how effortless they seem.

YouTube-jitsu: bad idea

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Have you tried pulling deep halfguard off a failed single? Our instructor showed us that last week, and there's a ton of good sweeps and transitions from deep half.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

Have you tried pulling deep halfguard off a failed single? Our instructor showed us that last week, and there's a ton of good sweeps and transitions from deep half.

He's still going to be wanting to do a high/snatch single rather than a low single for that.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Some dude spiked me on my head and now my neck is crunchy. Spazzing white belts who're stronger than you are the absolute woooooorst.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Xguard86 posted:

YouTube-jitsu: bad idea

Don't get me wrong, I always listen to my instructors but I kind of wanted to go and try wrestling a bit and the closest thing I can get to actually wrestling is at my BJJ classes and free rolling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I feel ya, just pointing out how even good technique videos can screw you up.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Have you ever heard of Jon "Bones" Jones

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya sure imagine how much better he'd be if he'd had a striking coach to begin with

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
White belt BJJ question: Anyone have any beginner tips from half guard on the bottom? I have gotten fairly good at catching a leg when people open my guard and pass, but can't seem to do much from there except hold out until I get to tired to stop them from mounting/passing. I'd love to be able to do a sweep from there, but can't find anything.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

White belt BJJ question: Anyone have any beginner tips from half guard on the bottom? I have gotten fairly good at catching a leg when people open my guard and pass, but can't seem to do much from there except hold out until I get to tired to stop them from mounting/passing. I'd love to be able to do a sweep from there, but can't find anything.

There's dozens of different ways to play half guard, but honestly at white belt you're probably better off sticking to extremely basic stuff -

1) Don't let them get their shoulder to your face and flatten you out
2a) try to get the underhook (on the side of their trapped leg) and get up on your hip
2b) try to push on their hip (on the side of their untrapped leg) and regain full guard

If you succeed at 1 and keep going back and forth between 2a and 2b, you'll generally do okay, and you'll build good habits for most of the other stuff you're going to try to do from half guard.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

When I'm trying for a double leg, I'll plant my front foot as close to the middle of my opponents base but in front of their feet, drop down so my knee is bent, lower my posture and drive my left shoulder into their hips while pull my hands into the back of their knees.

I don't lock my hands at all unless I'm looking for a high single. I know this isn't proper double leg technique, but it works pretty well I've found for open mat stuff. If it fails I can usually circle enough to change the angle and switch to a single.

I haven't tried it on anyone more advanced than a blue belt, but it's worked pretty well so far.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Dante posted:

Haven't seen the video yet, but according to some people and his own face Hall got screwed pretty bad:

Also Galvao and Mendes steamrolled their weights apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYKH-erk6c
Here's the vid from the match. Seems fair to me really.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

There's dozens of different ways to play half guard, but honestly at white belt you're probably better off sticking to extremely basic stuff -

2a) try to get the underhook (on the side of their trapped leg) and get up on your hip
2b) try to push on their hip (on the side of their untrapped leg) and regain full guard

If you succeed at 1 and keep going back and forth between 2a and 2b, you'll generally do okay, and you'll build good habits for most of the other stuff you're going to try to do from half guard.

Is there anything wrong with using the underhook/shrimping to get my knees under me and start to try to work for a single leg to reverse the position? I like avoid being on my back if at all possible, even full guard, so this is what I usually try to do. If I'm lucky/have better endurance than them I can usually either reverse them to their back, or I can get my feet under me and back out. I'm wondering if there's anything that people who aren't other white belts are going to nail me with that makes this a bad idea.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
The threat of a brabo choke will be your #1 concern when going for that.

edit: Here's a video to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPofZTxgjs (starts from side control rather than half-guard but you get the idea)

Taratang fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 16, 2012

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there anything wrong with using the underhook/shrimping to get my knees under me and start to try to work for a single leg to reverse the position? I like avoid being on my back if at all possible, even full guard, so this is what I usually try to do. If I'm lucky/have better endurance than them I can usually either reverse them to their back, or I can get my feet under me and back out. I'm wondering if there's anything that people who aren't other white belts are going to nail me with that makes this a bad idea.

I know youtub-itsu is frowned upon but this video shows what your bottom half-guard should look like at around 0:55 - notice how you want to swipe their outside leg out to break your opponent's balance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUMLNDO32zw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

fatherdog posted:

Thanks, this is perfect, to have just a couple things to work on. I see one of those is not bridge and roll to the side with the trapped leg, which is what I kept trying (and it didn't work at all).