Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Control is catching me on this play-through. I agree though, the vocoding was part of the charm prior.

I do think this is a solid album, but it almost takes a prog-rock mentality to appreciate.

Control is a terrific song. I agree otherwise though that there really aren't any ridiculously awesome standout tracks (like the first time I heard Fear, etc). On a whole though, I'm really enjoying it the more I listen to it. I do wish the vocals had some more effects like they do in previous albums, but I enjoy his natural voice as well.

I'm happy to say though that the songs from Revelations fit in quite nicely with the other songs in my M.I.A.B playlist, which is all the tracks I rated a 4 or 5 in itunes, and consequently a very large playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

His natural voice is awesome in a live environment. But then it's a unique mix and change of pace from the albums.

On the 8-Bits single there's a great mix with the regular vocoded song, but layering his regular voice over it at the end.

Oh, it's on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_YXzehaj54

I found it randomly at HMV, of all places. First time in there in probably 5+ years.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Bad news: Rotersand aren't playing at Resistanz any more.

Good news: Mind.In.A.Box are replacing them.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I saw Rotersand in Cervante's Bar a few years ago. Went in knowing nothing about them and wound up liking them a whole lot. Fun show, good songs for a live performance.

Gotta admit it was the daleks that sold me on them, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqn8FxuyFs

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

OOOOOO, I've seen Rotersand before and not seen miab soo that good news for me!

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Found this on a late night youtube run. Thought I'd share it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaxPjA7tYQ
Industrial metal terminator style.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I would buy a CD of that if he did one.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

spider_ross.avi posted:

Found this on a late night youtube run. Thought I'd share it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaxPjA7tYQ
Industrial metal terminator style.

I don't even know what the hell is going on there, but that's pretty awesome.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress fuUCK YESSSS LAIBACH are coming to Finland once again next month. gently caress YES

gently caress-loving-YESSSSSSSS.

This year seems to be off to a rather nice start. A Laibach show, then the VNV Nation gig in April... I also bought tickets to OOMPH!'s show in Berlin in September.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 14, 2012

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress fuUCK YESSSS LAIBACH are coming to Finland once again next month. gently caress YES

gently caress-loving-YESSSSSSSS.

This year seems to be off to a rather nice start. A Laibach show, then the VNV Nation gig in April... I also bought tickets to OOMPH!'s show in Berlin in September.

Jealous. They need to come to the US again.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Some of the earlier My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult stuff, perhaps?

And some of the later stuff; 'Diamonds & Daggerz' is a full album of TKK taking samples, beats, and loops from across their discography, and reworking it into a crazy crescendo. It's almost like an audio demonstration of how memes work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I Die: You Die is a website that a friend of mine does that may be of interest to people here.

Meanwhile I got the new Gothsicles album and loved it except the random misogyny at the end of "Drunk Cuts". Was very sad.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I Die: You Die is a website that a friend of mine does that may be of interest to people here.

Things like this remind me of just how small the industrial scene is.

Edit: With that said ID:UD is absolutely the best place on the internet right now for industrial reviews/interviews.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 25, 2012

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Twiin posted:

Things like this remind me of just how small the industrial scene is.
I'll say. I've run into that site twice before as well (fun Kirlian Camera interview), and it's pretty new. Perhaps it's that a lot of the people into this music are very active online and all end up running into each other over and over. Or maybe it's because:

"If you come from industrial, in a way you’re tainted." - from their recent Dave Heckman interview (haha).

Definitely a great review/interview site. Are there any similar sites out there (that get regular updates)?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

I'll say. I've run into that site twice before as well (fun Kirlian Camera interview), and it's pretty new. Perhaps it's that a lot of the people into this music are very active online and all end up running into each other over and over. Or maybe it's because:

"If you come from industrial, in a way you’re tainted." - from their recent Dave Heckman interview (haha).

Definitely a great review/interview site. Are there any similar sites out there (that get regular updates)?

Re:gen and side-line were the other two that I used to follow, but side-line is garbage and I kind of stopped following regen closely after a few website outages.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Side-line is great! It's like a website that I can go to to see all the email Alfa Matrix sends me, only on a webpage!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pope Guilty posted:

Side-line is great! It's like a website that I can go to to see all the email Alfa Matrix sends me, only on a webpage!

You mean there's a website under all those ads?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You mean there's a website under all those ads?

The website is also ads.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

The website is also ads.

This is funny because it's true.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hey, it takes a real hard-nosed journalist to copy and paste press releases with integrity.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hey, it takes a real hard-nosed journalist to copy and paste press releases with integrity.

Copying and pasting press releases is easy. It's cashing the cheques from the artists and labels that takes real work.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Pope Guilty posted:

Haha, had to check it out just to see how low content it was.

And thanks! Checking out Re:gen.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
KFMDM and Geistform at Infest this summer, you say? Shitjustgotreal.gif

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

KFMDM and Geistform at Infest this summer, you say? Shitjustgotreal.gif

I was thinking of giving it a rest this year but now not so much.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Holy crap, well now I have no choice.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
gently caress, just realised that it's been twelve years since I actually bought a KMFDM album. They have a whole loving decade of songs I've not really listened to!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And a whole decade not really worth the time. I liked the last one though. Their show was a million times better half a year ago than when I saw them 8ish years ago.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
This is a long shot but I've always been into industrial music, and when I was young I started loving with a program called Fruity Loops, basically a weird version of Ableton live to make music.

Well the demo had a bunch of sample songs and 3 by a guy I think was named Toby. The three samples were some of the best loving industrial music I had ever heard (my memory could be glorifying the sound), but i cannot find them anywhere. I don't know what version of fruity loops it was, or even the year (had to be like, '98-'02 ish).

Some googling leads me to Toby Emerson, but I can't find the industrial song if it was him, I'm just hearing mass techno.

Please tell me someone out there had the same version of fruity loops and heard the same song and can hook me up.

Also, like 6 months ago KMFDM played a loving venue my little brother played in with some lovely band. It was depressing to see my favorite industrial band fall so low.

e; I guess they haven't "fallen so low" but it sucks they couldn't book a bigger gig with more people.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 4, 2012

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Speaking of KMFDM, does anyone remember the original track order of Adios that was scrapped? I remember it being posted when the album came out and it being way better than the finalized track order, but not much else. The first track was D.I.Y., and the last track was That's All I think.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RizieN posted:

fruity loops

Your memory is playing tricks on you. I think I remember the songs you're talking about, and they weren't any kind of badass industrial music.

They sounded impressive at the time if you were staring at this unfamiliar piece of software and unable to make anything that sounds like a song come out of it, but that's about it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
ID:UD's look at the Top 100 Industrial Songs Of All Time Project is worth a read. It includes their own submission to the project, which I think is a much better Top 100 than the final result.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

ID:UD's look at the Top 100 Industrial Songs Of All Time Project is worth a read. It includes their own submission to the project, which I think is a much better Top 100 than the final result.

The David Schock one has a pretty predictable (and dated)) top 20 of club floorfillers. I mean, I really like some of those songs, but there have been better ones since some of those came out and while they're fun to dance to, they're hardly all time best. I wouldn't even say that Headhunter is the best Front 242 song, and I really like Headhunter and Front 242. Bit of a random selection of genres too. I guess if it was Top 101 Industrial Songs Played In Clubs, that'd make sense.

Edit: The ID:UD one is way better.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 6, 2012

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The David Schock one has a pretty predictable (and dated)) top 20 of club floorfillers. I mean, I really like some of those songs, but there have been better ones since some of those came out and while they're fun to dance to, they're hardly all time best. I wouldn't even say that Headhunter is the best Front 242 song, and I really like Headhunter and Front 242. Bit of a random selection of genres too. I guess if it was Top 101 Industrial Songs Played In Clubs, that'd make sense.

Edit: The ID:UD one is way better.

David's a nice guy and he put in a ton of work into his list, but his collection methodology had a lot of problems which is why we've got the list that we do.

ID:UD's approach of only having one track per band makes for a much more interesting list.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

I'm not gonna sign up for facebook to read the list (yes, I'm a horrible idiot, etc), but I hope that this placed well. Age of Reason is a great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcqfugLeDfU

ID:UD posted:

31. :Wumpscut:, “Die in Winter” (891)
Rudy may be spending his days putting out album after disappointing album on a yearly clockwork schedule
:iceburn:

VVVV "It's got a Front 242 guy in it!" :allears: I always like the Holy Gang project better.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 6, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

David's a nice guy and he put in a ton of work into his list, but his collection methodology had a lot of problems which is why we've got the list that we do.

ID:UD's approach of only having one track per band makes for a much more interesting list.

It also reminds me that I never got the popularity of The Bog, by Bigod 20.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

It also reminds me that I never got the popularity of The Bog, by Bigod 20.

I preferred their Madonna-focused period.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

I preferred their Madonna-focused period.

I bought both of those Virgin Voices albums. A lot of the covers were pretty terrible.

It took a while before I learned that Cleopatra compilations were a] almost never a good idea and b] almost always had most of the tracks from other compilations that I already had.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cleopatra compilations are like Ramones compilations in that I already have the tracks but for some reason I end up buying them anyway. It's a sickness.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
And all those bands who you thought broke up years ago but keep on releasing new tracks (well okay, remixed versions of old tracks) on those compilations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Your memory is playing tricks on you. I think I remember the songs you're talking about, and they weren't any kind of badass industrial music.

They sounded impressive at the time if you were staring at this unfamiliar piece of software and unable to make anything that sounds like a song come out of it, but that's about it.

That was my worst fear :( Guess I'll just keep it in my memory.