Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they have a full load range of 8k nm. That flight was 10k statute miles, so about 9000 nm. Wonder what its max ferry range really is, probably pretty impressive.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Cygni posted:

Yeah, they have a full load range of 8k nm. That flight was 10k statute miles, so about 9000 nm. Wonder what its max ferry range really is, probably pretty impressive.

Do civilian airliners have the capability of underwing tanks? If it can only go 8000nm on a full load of fuel and it went 9000nm, where'd it get the extra fuel?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
8000NM is with pax and cargo, you can go a shitload farther if you aren't lugging around tens of tons of humans and crap.

Edit: I think JetBlue ferried an empty EJet that was used for Palin's campaign like 3000NM when max loaded range is 2400NM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 10, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

buttcrackmenace posted:

Egad. Didn't realize they could go that long without refueling.
That's really impressive, though I'm sure they did it with no passengers or cargo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

co199 posted:

Do civilian airliners have the capability of underwing tanks? If it can only go 8000nm on a full load of fuel and it went 9000nm, where'd it get the extra fuel?

The internal tanks are already physically capable of holding that larger amount of fuel, but you become weight limited when adding seats/passengers/luggage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Random thing I just discovered: the airline SAS (Scandinavian Air Services) operates a fleet of DC-3s.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
When I was younger I used to take my die-cast toy planes and a pair of goggles to a swimming pool and let go of them at the water surface. While they just fall like a brick in the air, they glided beautifully in water. I'm pretty pretty sure I ended up snapping the wheels off of several of them to make them more hydrodynamic.

If you have access to a pool and toy planes I highly recommend this for the kid in you.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

MustelaFuro posted:

When I was younger I used to take my die-cast toy planes and a pair of goggles to a swimming pool and let go of them at the water surface. While they just fall like a brick in the air, they glided beautifully in water. I'm pretty pretty sure I ended up snapping the wheels off of several of them to make them more hydrodynamic.

If you have access to a pool and toy planes I highly recommend this for the kid in you.

REynolds numbers. They're beautiful.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Random thing I just discovered: the airline SAS (Scandinavian Air Services) operates a fleet of DC-3s.

Not since 1957.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

The Ferret King posted:

The internal tanks are already physically capable of holding that larger amount of fuel, but you become weight limited when adding seats/passengers/luggage.

Also, more weight means you have to make more lift to counter it, which means more drag. A lightly loaded aircraft is inherently more efficient than a heavily loaded one.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Wow, I'm dumb. I didn't even consider the weight issue. Thanks, guys!

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Internal tanks aren't always enough though. This is a 717 ferrying to HNL, and I think it's pretty AI

source

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 10, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Guess that answers my questions as a kid of how you get the 737s and DC-9s that Aloha/Hawaiian used for inter-island flights out there in the first place. I always assumed they shipped them via boat or something. That's awesome.

Also I just now realized that Aloha is out of business. Guess your options for inter-island are Hawaiian or a paddleboat.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
NO SMOKING

BUT THEN, IF YOU
NEED TO BE TOLD
THAT, WELL GOD
HELP YOU.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a game. You have to guess which one contains Winston Churchill.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytennis posted:

So a 787 went on a looong test flight today. They spelt out 787 and the Boeing logo!

Holy poo poo, that's worse than crazy military training stuff. That was probably fun for someone at ZMP

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge of airliners can answer a question about crosswind landings. It seems in videos like this that the wheel bogies on many airliners are somehow kept parallel to the runway during crosswind landings. However, I've done a bit of googling, and read a few airliners.net threads, and found that only the B-52 was actually designed to align the wheel bogies with the runway during such a landing. It seems pretty clear in the video above around 0:24(also shown below) that the A-340's wheels are aligned with the runway.

Can anyone settle for me whether or not any major civilian airliners are capable of turning the wheel bogies to align with the runway during a crosswind landing? I suspect the answer is no and some other mechanism such as simple inertia is at work in the video.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Normal air carriers don't do it. It's an illusion making you think those wheels are aligned with the runway, they are in line with the aircraft. The wheels on top are on top and in front, the wheels on bottom are on bottom and in back.

Edit: I should add: front/back of the airplane, not our view.

Also, the wheels are not flat with respect to the planes horizontal plane. They tilt with the front up so the back wheels make contact with the runway first.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 12, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What is that thing that has an extra set of wheels?

VVV I mean what kind of aircraft is it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 12, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Godholio posted:

What is that thing that has an extra set of wheels?

Just the center gear. It has a set of 3 main gear with 4 wheels, the middle doesn't tilt iirc.

Edit: Huh, it appears the center gear can also just have 2 wheels.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 12, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's A340's that have that center wheel setup:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know how I never noticed that before.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It's not aeroplanes per se but Delta fitted out a pelicase with a bunch of cameras and recorded it going through handling for some strange reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocbxS5aWUSo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Their jets are cattle cars, but that's pretty drat cool.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Godholio posted:

I don't know how I never noticed that before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercarriage_arrangements

A340-200/300

A340-500/600

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's not aeroplanes per se but Delta fitted out a pelicase with a bunch of cameras and recorded it going through handling for some strange reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocbxS5aWUSo

Sounds like they stole their jams from Virgin America.

I haven't flown Delta for 10ish years, but just booked 4 flights with them. Are they really any more cattlecar-y than United/American? I fly a lot with them both (fed travel, sigh) and they both shock me at their horribleness. Especially when you hop on a Virgin/Jet Blue flight afterwards. Theres no comparison.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
Not sure about domestic but I fly Delta to Japan ever since they bought out Northwest, real nice seating very roomy even in economy. Just looked it up I guess it's called economy comfort class, was nice. Food/media player were ok, no complaints.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

7of7 posted:

I'm hoping someone with a better knowledge of airliners can answer a question about crosswind landings. It seems in videos like this that the wheel bogies on many airliners are somehow kept parallel to the runway during crosswind landings. However, I've done a bit of googling, and read a few airliners.net threads, and found that only the B-52 was actually designed to align the wheel bogies with the runway during such a landing. It seems pretty clear in the video above around 0:24(also shown below) that the A-340's wheels are aligned with the runway.

Can anyone settle for me whether or not any major civilian airliners are capable of turning the wheel bogies to align with the runway during a crosswind landing? I suspect the answer is no and some other mechanism such as simple inertia is at work in the video.

On older 737s the main gear axles can swivel a few degrees to make crosswind landings a little less bone-crunching (though this is a passive system, and not active and pre-set like on the B52), and on jets like the 777, 747 and A380 with a lot of main wheels the rearmost of them can swivel to make turning while taxiing a little easier on the tyres. On the 777 the rear 4 of the 12 main wheels, and on the 747 and A380 two out of the 4 main bogeys swivel IIRC. This is just for taxiing though, and not to make crosswind landings easier.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Cygni posted:

I haven't flown Delta for 10ish years, but just booked 4 flights with them. Are they really any more cattlecar-y than United/American? I fly a lot with them both (fed travel, sigh) and they both shock me at their horribleness. Especially when you hop on a Virgin/Jet Blue flight afterwards. Theres no comparison.

Compare for yourself here:

http://www.seatguru.com/

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cygni posted:

Delta, United, American and US Air all have pretty the same cattle car poo poo. If you have enough frequent flier miles with Delta, or pay exorbitant upgrade fees, you can get their economy plus (or economy comfort now) which actually has humane amounts of legroom. Otherwise, prepare for numb knees; cattle coach in all the airlines is as bad as it's ever been. Dimensions vary from plane to plane, though; check out seat guru. Seatback entertainment varies tremendously between aircraft, though, even of the same type aircraft. Many domestic flights don't have anything at all.

What's worse is that now that they're charging extra for bags, EVERYONE on the plane is carrying giant carry-ons which means if you're not one of the first people to board the plane, your bag is either going at your feet (giving you even less leg room) or getting gate-checked.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 12, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
One thing I will say nice for Delta is that all their RJs except the CRJ200s have first class cabins. It doesn't help unless you have a boatload of status with them or are willing to pay, but it goes a long way to making the RJ experience less lovely.

God drat gently caress CRJs. I'd rather fly in a Dash-8 Q or even an ATR.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Haha, yes CRJ's are not fun to fly in.

I can barely stand in the aisle and I'm not that tall, you can't take a "standard" sized carry on without gate-checking, and I find the window seats are very tight, width wise.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
NASA 911 has made it's final flight. :911:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/Features/sca_911_final_flight.html

Also a related update:

NASA posted:

"Many of you have asked when the space shuttles will be leaving Kennedy for their new homes. Here's what we know right now: Discovery will arrive at Dulles International Airport on April 17 and be transported to the Smithsonian’s Udvar-Hazy Center on April 19. Endeavour's ferry flight to the California Science Center is scheduled for this coming fall. Atlantis will be transported to the Kennedy Visitor Complex in November."

I would love to be at Dulles to see them both fly in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, at least it will leave on... by being cannibalized.

It would have made for a cool and monstrous display if they could have mounted Enterprise on it permanently.

I doubt Enterprise was ever on the back of 911 but that's beside the point. :)

Handy feature of the shuttle carriers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

7of7 posted:

C-5 Galaxies also had the capability, but iirc it was disabled.

Cygni posted:

It's A340's that have that center wheel setup:

Not the only ones...

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

grover posted:

Many domestic flights don't have anything at all.

I consider IFE essential for international flights, but for domestic is it really such a big deal when so many flights have available wifi?

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/products/progress.jsp

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Styles Bitchley posted:

NASA 911 has made it's final flight. :911:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/Features/sca_911_final_flight.html

Also a related update:

I would love to be at Dulles to see them both fly in.

Okay, so in all my 27 years I failed to see a single STS launch, despite numerous attempts. I figure I can (partially? no, probably not) make up for by seeing one of these land. Is there a resource for the other orbiters or is the only date currently known that of Discovery's trip?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Understeer posted:

I consider IFE essential for international flights, but for domestic is it really such a big deal when so many flights have available wifi?

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/products/progress.jsp

Or when a Kindle is so frighteningly cheap?

(Delta's wi-fi owns, I wish AA would hurry the gently caress up and finish their fleet since they have way more direct flights than Delta does out of MIA; I also wish AA's status upgrade process didn't cost IRL money.)

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Boomerjinks posted:

Okay, so in all my 27 years I failed to see a single STS launch, despite numerous attempts. I figure I can (partially? no, probably not) make up for by seeing one of these land. Is there a resource for the other orbiters or is the only date currently known that of Discovery's trip?

I think Discovery's ferry flight is the only one with a date set so far.

Enterprise should be going from Dulles to JFK around the same time, if not at the same time after unloading Discovery.

Endeavour will fly sometime in the fall.

Atlantis is staying at Kennedy Space Center.

It would be pretty cool to see the big bird go off and come in on the shuttle's truly last flights, especially since it was there for the first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-YNcwc1ZME&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Def gonna be there when they come to LA.

Also, these fuckin' wings (click for big)