Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd actually postulate that holes near the ice would be a little safer.. when pucks go wild in a hockey game, it's usually up in the glass. Obviously it's never going to be perfectly safe, sending a chunk of hard rubber flying at 100 mph is always going to carry some risk with it, but there are spots that get less abuse than others.

On rinks that have those animated advertisements, I always figured it would be cool to pull the display out and let photographers shoot through the clear sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Pretty happy with today, we won 8:4 :rock:

IMG_7988 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7971 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7943 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_7913 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8087 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Very nice shots. Did you shoot through the plexiglass?

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

azathosk posted:

Very nice shots. Did you shoot through the plexiglass?

Thanks. Yes, all of them.

e: also, do they look a bit too "cool" to anyone? Few other people commented on that elsewhere. Can't check on different screen atm :( I can see the #4 having a bit of blue/green cast on the boards, but not on the others.

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 12, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Baseball season's here, woo hoo!

I also shot my first hockey game. It... didn't go well. This was the only decent frame, and even then, I've had to wrestle with levels and colors. Still not totally happy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I also shot my first hockey game. It... didn't go well. This was the only decent frame, and even then, I've had to wrestle with levels and colors. Still not totally happy.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US :q:

E: What metering are you using? I'm usually spot or center in hockey games. If you can't W/B off a jersey, taking W/B off the ice won't be perfect but it'll give you something to work with.

E2: And welcome to the frustrating rage you'll feel when shooting black jerseys. :(:respek::(

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha yeah gently caress that black jersey, trying to recover any shadow detail just led to horrible disgusting noise. I was shooting in manual because the vast majority of the ice was surprisingly well lit, except for the corners against the boards, which was right where that happened, which I didn't realize 'til after it happened. Womp womp.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God I always love flexed-stick shots. Got lucky as hell with this timing. :toot:

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

DJExile posted:

God I always love flexed-stick shots. Got lucky as hell with this timing. :toot:

Word. Got around to shooting the Notre Dame series this weekend. Some decent pics.

FLEX :black101:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
God I love baseball season. Hang out in the sun, crank up the ipod, shoot some sports with lots of breaks and chances to do different things. :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

The first one is messing with me like crazy. :psyduck:

The 2nd one owns really hard.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

The first one is messing with me like crazy. :psyduck:

Haha I know what you mean, I struggled with how to crop it. Suggestions? This is straight out of camera:

(I swear I wasn't drunk, though that would be an easy assumption looking at the horizon.)

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 23, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the "problem" is the out of focus guy. Photography convention tells us that stuff out of focus is in the background, and yet, he's bigger than the guy who is in focus. It's a serious brainfuck.

It does look cool, but I'm not sure you could "fix" it to make it make more sense. Would need to have the ground in the frame or something.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

azathosk posted:

Just got me a photo pass for all of the home games Vĺlerenga football (same club as the hockey I'm shooting). They play in the top division and at the largest stadium in Norway. Excited! :D

Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures :)
I really enjoyed your hockey shots, do you know if you need a press pass to bring a DSLR to Jordal? I can't find anything on their homepages.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

loving :lol: at that av

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

BobTheCow posted:

(I swear I wasn't drunk, though that would be an easy assumption looking at the horizon.)
Honestly, its just that the guy is SUPER sharp and everything else in the photo is oof (like its supposed to be). It's kind of messing with my eyes just to look at it, but its no fault of yours.

It kind of looks like he's... photoshopped in.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Greybone posted:

Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures :)
I really enjoyed your hockey shots, do you know if you need a press pass to bring a DSLR to Jordal? I can't find anything on their homepages.
I need to have a photo/press pass. After "professionalizing" the league (TV2 and Get) they have been more concerned about people around the rink. I don't think they care about people bringing their DSLRs in the stands though...

And thanks. :)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I went to my first blackhawks game last night. I did not realize they let you bring pro-ish SLR setups in there. There were a ton of guys with pro bodies and big, fast glass (not, like, super-huge/exotic, but nikon 70-200-type stuff with hoods/tripod mounts) who ran up to the glass during warmups.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
:black101: moment and :argh: photo

God I wish it happened closer to me and I didnt have to shoot at like 60 degree angle through the glass, also, If I didn't focus on the feet of the specators.

Yeehaw by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

e: couple more from that game

IMG_8198 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8214 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8173 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8288 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 26, 2012

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Finally a rally event this weekend, the beginning of the Estonian season. Vőru Winter Rally in Southern Estonia. Picked out some of the better shots, but the whole big set is here in case anyone wants to see.

And I got to say that finally shooting with an auto-focus lens is a lot more convenient. I was afraid that the focusing wouldn't be quick enough but the nifty-fifty did a great job for ~95% of the shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, auto-focus on even budget lenses is pretty great these days. When I got my first DSLR I insisted on manual focus at first because I was convinced there was no way the kit lens could keep up.

And then I tried it anyways and results improved dramatically. Every once in a while the lens would go nuts hunting but overall I threw many fewer images away due to missed focus.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shot the conference championship for the paper yesterday. Local university, with a new coach, wins conference at home, so I expected it to get decent play. But instead, Daytona NOT HAPPENING was the huge front page spread. Lame.

Anyway, a few of my favorites:

This was basically a joke shot at the time because it's such a huge cliche, but I actually ended up liking it and submitting it:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Shot the conference championship for the paper yesterday. Local university, with a new coach, wins conference at home, so I expected it to get decent play. But instead, Daytona NOT HAPPENING was the huge front page spread. Lame.

Anyway, a few of my favorites:

The first one here has a hilarious expression and I love it. The one of coach and his kids is just adorable too. :unsmith:

Third one is pretty clever. I need to try that sometime. :cool:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shot some tennis yesterday. Right as the match ended I found a spot to shoot from up high, so I'm excited to play around with that next time.

I need to work on finding ways to make different images. After looking at my take I realized I had lots and lots of photos of basically the same moment, shot the same way. Boooooring.

e: re-cropped #3

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 29, 2012

Miko
May 20, 2001

Some good tennis photos are the windup before they're about to smack the daylights out of the ball. That intense focus on the ball makes for some good faces.

Also, catching reactions from good or bad shots.

I like the shots you've gotten right now. Smushed ball on racket strings is never a bad shot :) Also, summer is around the corner, so outdoor sports are on their way! (gently caress you iso1600)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That girl's face being framed in her racquet is awesome

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

BobTheCow posted:

This is the saddest tennis ball.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Haha I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. That just make it even better!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Haha yeah a Facebook friend commented that it looked like a bandit ball.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shot some golf today, but it was a super quick shoot, I could only stick around for one hole. :sigh:

And my favorite goofy driver sock:

P.S. I finally got around to starting a Facebook fan page if anybody wants to follow along/validate my existence :3:

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 2, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Took some shots at a Golden Gloves show my friend was fighting at last weekend. I feel like I probably should have positioned myself better(I was on a chair like 10ft back from the nearest ringpost). Let me know what else I can fix.

IMG_1179 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1163 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1135 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1124 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They aren't bad but they all look snap-shotty. You pretty much either need to be right against the apron or somehow above the level of the ropes because they're really blocking a lot of the action and sometimes it looks like your camera's focus found them instead of the boxers. In the same way that the rule of thumb in sports is "two players and a ball", you might want to think of filling your frame with "two boxers and a punch". Ideally you'd be standing at ground level, against the apron. This puts you below the fighters, and close enough to shoot through the ropes like the shot I linked. It takes the ropes out of your shots and the lower perspective makes the fighters look bigger. If you're further away, I'd also change the metering to center or spot.

In terms of more of the technical stuff, 1/200 is probably a bit too slow to be capturing punches. Obviously it's got to be tough shooting in what looks like a very dim gymnasium. From your EXIF data, your lens is an f/4.0. Do you have anything faster? That would help in spades.

You're capturing good moments but the ropes are hurting you, and I would toss the 2nd in part because of the backs of peoples' heads in the shot. I know I'm sounding like a dick in this and I don't intend to :( Any indoor sports can be miserable to shoot. Especially ones with really quick action like this.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Yeah, agreeing with everything DJExile said. Indoor sports are always tough, doubly so when they've got poo poo backgrounds and worse light. The easiest way to improve on those would be just clean up the foregrounds and backgrounds by getting up as close as you can and filling the frame with the boxers. After that we can worry about things like shutter speed and white balance, but first focus on composition.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, bear in mind too, even in that picture I linked, that shot is probably with a very high-end pro body, with a fast f/2.8 or better lens, and it's still noisy as hell and tough to get. Look at the shaded parts of Manny Pacquiao's skin, or De La Hoja's gloves and trunks. And this is even at a huge PPV event with what they'd consider ideal lighting. Boxing has to be a huge pain in the rear end to shoot.

Totally worth it for the money shots, but man you're going to pay for it (in a few ways :rimshot:) to get them.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Just finished procesing pictures, from what turned out to be last game of the season and what a wild game it was... ended up 6:5 with the equalising goal being scored with half a second left in third period and being disallowed.

Atleast we made it to the semifinals :toot:

Also, I'm sorry for the following wall of pictures, had hard time picking few.
I promise I won't be spamming this thread, until like October. :angel:

playoffs.jpg

IMG_8585 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8569 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

youhavegottobekiddingme.jpg (after ejecting one of the players, what a poo poo call that was)

IMG_8563 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

notice the puck at bottom of the net

IMG_8549 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8526 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

this didnt get called as holding :v:, ended up this way http://www.flickr.com/photos/53000866@N03/6801324522/in/photostream/

IMG_8520 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Too bad the linesmen jumped in really fast, could have been interesting.

IMG_8495 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Ended up on top of the net. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/53000866@N03/6801322830/in/photostream/

IMG_8487 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8483 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

I like how this one came out

IMG_8460 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

flex.jpg

IMG_8451 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr
:D.jpg

IMG_8443 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8433 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8412 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8404 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_8366 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

There is some more on my flickr if anyone wants.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KidDynamite posted:

Took some shots at a Golden Gloves show my friend was fighting at last weekend. I feel like I probably should have positioned myself better(I was on a chair like 10ft back from the nearest ringpost). Let me know what else I can fix.

IMG_1179 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1163 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1135 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

IMG_1124 by turb0charged4g63, on Flickr

The other technical advice you got, I agree with. From a content perspective, you have no single shot where a punch is connecting. Take a look at boxing shots: either you show the confrontation (that is, not a punch in progress) or a punch connecting. You've got lots of shots of punches being thrown, but just before or after contact. It hurts the shots. If you can't time that out, go for some of the posturing that doesn't include the punching.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Duct tape "C"s are the best "C"s.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the great info DJExile that's some great critique and I take it all in the hopes of getting better. Right now the only thing I have faster is my nifty 50. Is there anything you would reccommend for shooting on the ring apron? I'm sure I can get there for the next show.

Torgeaux something I noticed is since I box I was reacting to the movements that come when someone is about to punch. I'll need to work on that maybe timing my button press a bit later.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for the great info DJExile that's some great critique and I take it all in the hopes of getting better. Right now the only thing I have faster is my nifty 50. Is there anything you would reccommend for shooting on the ring apron? I'm sure I can get there for the next show.

Torgeaux something I noticed is since I box I was reacting to the movements that come when someone is about to punch. I'll need to work on that maybe timing my button press a bit later.

Yeah, if you have some experience yourself, your photography timing will catch up.

but, don't give up on the non-punching shots. There's some great moments that don't involve a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

If you can get closer, or from an elevated perspective, you can get through the ropes or above the ropes.

Try to get the ropes out of the equation, the likely aren't playing nice with your AF anyways.