Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get the Chrome beta to stop identifying itself as a mobile browser somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

Can I get the Chrome beta to stop identifying itself as a mobile browser somehow?

As of now there is no way to change the user agent. I'm sure they'll add it eventually.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

As of now there is no way to change the user agent. I'm sure they'll add it eventually.

That... Kinda sucks. Between not having the gesture shortcuts and flash I don't really see a reason to try it. Is it a lot faster?

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 12, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

That... Kinda sucks. Between not having the gesture shortcuts and flash I don't really see a reason to try it. Is it a lot faster?

At least on my touchpad, it actually seems much slower. The syncing with desktop clients is the only reason to use it right now.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

It feels much faster to me on my Galaxy Nexus, the tab switcher is just plain awesome, and it feels like scrolling is smoother too. Flash is not going to be updated for Chrome, like I said I'm sure they'll add it in as it's in beta.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Essobie posted:

I don't know about him, but that's what I need. I constantly get meeting requests due to calendar events, but I sometimes don't feel/hear it in my pocket. At that point it defeats the purpose of me having the damned thing on my phone if it isn't going to bug me until I shut it off.

I'm using the default calendar that comes with the phone, and it just does a tiny vibrate and a notification. I want it to play alarms for up to five minutes or something.

I just grabbed Business Calendar, but all it is is just a reskinning of my actual Calender. Is there a way to replace how the calendar notifies the user?

Quoting myself since I found a few apps that do exactly that: replace the way the calendar does notifications.

Calendar Event Reminder ($2.19)

This is the best one I found. There isn't a demo/free version, unfortunately, but I spent my first 15 minutes testing it (before the refund window closed) and it does everything I want it to and more. It creates a lockscreen-like alert that comes up whenever a calendar event reminder occurs, and it works off of your current Calendar application. It will play a repeating ringtone/alert sound of your choosing, on a calendar by calendar basis (i.e. if you want your work alerts to sound different from your google calendar alerts, you can do that). It will unlock your phone if you want, turn on your phone if you want, play through the speaker no matter what if you want... tons of options.

The other two have demo/free versions, but the free versions at least are pretty limited, and frankly come off as pretty amateur efforts:

Nudnik Calendar Reminders ($3.00) and Calendar SnoozeKey ($5.00)

I'm pretty surprised the base functionality of all of these aren't embedded in the most basic of calendar applications, especially since you need only look at Outlook to see what the basic alert functionality should be. At least the best of the apps is the cheapest, and now I don't have to feel like an idiot when I specifically give myself a reminder calendar event only to simply not hear/feel it the one time it goes off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you guys aren't using Mobifications egg timer to boil your eggs your lives are the poorer for it.

Seriously no one should have put this much detail into an egg timer app.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's really annoying that if you hear something about Google Wallet, it's usually something negative. The fuzz with Verizon earlier, now these weaknesses, that's about it. Long time ago, an agreement with Visa was reached, I still don't see it supported. A long time ago, it was also said that they'd enable it in (at least) the UK for the Olympic Games, nothing to be heard of about it, either.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cakefool posted:

If you guys aren't using Mobifications egg timer to boil your eggs your lives are the poorer for it.

I read this, downloaded it, and just made the best soft boiled eggs ever.

Get the app

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Just set it up and am ready to boil some eggs! Just to confirm, this assumes the water is boiling from the start, right? Strange because it seems eggs always split when lowered into cold water when they are from the fridge.

But I wouldn't dare question this app.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Just set it up and am ready to boil some eggs! Just to confirm, this assumes the water is boiling from the start, right? Strange because it seems eggs always split when lowered into cold water when they are from the fridge.

But I wouldn't dare question this app.

I just installed it and the first screen it brought me to says exactly that, it assumes that water is boiling.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
So this isn't an app question but I'm unsure of where else it might go:

Is there any way to remove the emoticon button from the keyboard on my galaxy nexus?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So this isn't an app question but I'm unsure of where else it might go:

Is there any way to remove the emoticon button from the keyboard on my galaxy nexus?

Not on the stock keyboard, no.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
1) Does anyone else have "Episodes for Android"? Calendar integration doesn't seem to be working, which kind of makes the entire app pointless. Is it just me experiencing this issue?

2) I'm still pretty ticked about not being able to turn off notification sounds while leaving the ringer on. Does the fact that I am now rooted give me an option to fix this without installing a custom rom?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expect this has been asked a bunch of times in the past but could anyone recommend a month-view calendar widget that integrates with the stock app? I don't need an agenda, or notifications, or an entire app replacement, I just want a widget that shows a month and lets me flick (or scroll I guess) backwards/forwards and has some kind of indicator for any day that has a thing happening.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Steriletom posted:

1) Does anyone else have "Episodes for Android"? Calendar integration doesn't seem to be working, which kind of makes the entire app pointless. Is it just me experiencing this issue?

2) I'm still pretty ticked about not being able to turn off notification sounds while leaving the ringer on. Does the fact that I am now rooted give me an option to fix this without installing a custom rom?

I'm using Elixir 2 (because of someone in this thread), and it has separate sliders for ringer volume and notification volume. Not used them myself, but it's free!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I expect this has been asked a bunch of times in the past but could anyone recommend a month-view calendar widget that integrates with the stock app? I don't need an agenda, or notifications, or an entire app replacement, I just want a widget that shows a month and lets me flick (or scroll I guess) backwards/forwards and has some kind of indicator for any day that has a thing happening.
Android Pro Widgets does this nicely and the paid version has some decent theming options.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Lprsti99 posted:

I'm using Elixir 2 (because of someone in this thread), and it has separate sliders for ringer volume and notification volume. Not used them myself, but it's free!

Just tried this and while the app has separate settings for notification and ringer volume, adjusting automatically adjusts the other even if the app displays the two as being different.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Steriletom posted:

Just tried this and while the app has separate settings for notification and ringer volume, adjusting automatically adjusts the other even if the app displays the two as being different.

Try AudioManager, a goon-loved classic from bygone days. If that doesn't work for you, it's your phone/ROM loving up.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Try AudioManager, a goon-loved classic from bygone days. If that doesn't work for you, it's your phone/ROM loving up.

Are you running stock ICS? In Audiomanager I can't modify the notification setting. However, when I move the setting for "ringer volume" the notification setting moves in unison.

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/1920-gn-ics-combining-notification-ring-volume-sliders.html

This thread I found through google makes it apparent that it's not just me. I tried using switchpro widget as suggested in the last post of that thread but can't find notification volume in the global list of controls.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
No, Gingerbread. My bad, didn't realize ICS changed that. Kind of a dick move. :(

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

No, Gingerbread. My bad, didn't realize ICS changed that. Kind of a dick move. :(

Yeah, I know. I'm tired of being woken up by notifications but I refuse to turn off my ringer as I have had family/friends contact me in the middle of the night before with legit emergencies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know what it is with Google and screwing with notifications when they upgrade android. First it was the vibration settings in 2.2 and now its notification volume in 4.0.

My "solution" to this issue is that I have a cordless phone with a Bluetooth bridge that rings whenever my phone does. It doesn't matter if I mute the phone completely, it will still ring through.

You could also use something like tasker to increase volume to 100% on incoming call.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

You could also use something like tasker to increase volume to 100% on incoming call.

This is what I do, works a treat. Even better, this way you can filter who gets to wake you up! No more calls at 6:30 in the morning from work trying to get me to come in!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is there any way to get agenda widget to display astrid takes only in 1 widget & calendar only in another?

Or do I need 2 separate apps?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tunga posted:

I use Pure Grid Calendar Widget for that, myself.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Does Google Voice support WiFi-calling? If not, are there any good apps that do? I'm heading out of the country in the spring and am looking for ways to cut down on my international calling costs.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Aatrek posted:

Does Google Voice support WiFi-calling? If not, are there any good apps that do? I'm heading out of the country in the spring and am looking for ways to cut down on my international calling costs.

I'm pretty sure GrooveIP works in conjunction with Google Voice to give you VoIP.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anybody know of any ICS-compatible apps that can force the phone to stick to 3G instead of switching to 2G? 2G signal is slightly stronger where I work, and my phone seems to gravitate towards using the stronger signal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anakha posted:

Anybody know of any ICS-compatible apps that can force the phone to stick to 3G instead of switching to 2G? 2G signal is slightly stronger where I work, and my phone seems to gravitate towards using the stronger signal.
Is that option gone from Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Mobile Networks? I don't have a SIM so I can't check but that option was always in 2.x.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Is that option gone from Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Mobile Networks? I don't have a SIM so I can't check but that option was always in 2.x.

The option's still there, but what you toggle on and off there is 2G only versus 2G/3G.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anakha posted:

The option's still there, but what you toggle on and off there is 2G only versus 2G/3G.
It used to be accessible via a dialing code only then. Type *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer and see if there's an option for WCDMA/UMTS only mode.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It used to be accessible via a dialing code only then. Type *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer and see if there's an option for WCDMA/UMTS only mode.

This pretty much solved it. Thanks!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm seriously considering ditching Google Voice as my primary texting app...yes, it's very handy that it can use a wifi connection, since I do find myself in places with bad/no cell service, but can find some public wifi...and yes, being able to respond to texts online is nice, but my God the app itself is terrible.

It doesn't always sync up properly when I do the web interface, and it's always had problems with using the "back" button. Sometimes, if I am in a conversation, hitting back once exits the app instead of going to the "main" screen that lists all recent conversations...other times (it seems to be if I have a lot of back and forths with one contact,) I can hit back up to five or six times, each time it backs out to the same page, before it finally either backs out to the main page, or to my homescreen.

I also have problems where it will send a text, but then later I'll go back to that conversation list, and it will be trying to send that last text again, like it didn't send...even though it did. So I have to quickly cancel, or someone gets a duplicate.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and all this poo poo still happens...what the Hell, Google?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's a 20% Time project.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Do I need to replace the Samsung music player on my SGS?

I use iSyncr wifi to manage music on my Galaxy, and lately I haven't been able to get the music player to remove files from its list. More fully: isyncr deletes files when I remove them from playlists, but the Samsung music player has stopped removing those deleted songs from its list.

I like the player, lockscreen integration, etc, but if there's no obvious solution here, guess I could replace it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm seriously considering ditching Google Voice as my primary texting app...

If you're using a phone, you can go into the preferences and choose to also receive texts with the Messaging app. It basically means you get to bypass 90% of GV's weaknesses. You can always switch back to the app if you want/have to send something by wifi, but the cellular forwarding thing - whatever it is, however it works - just seems to work better.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Manky posted:

If you're using a phone, you can go into the preferences and choose to also receive texts with the Messaging app. It basically means you get to bypass 90% of GV's weaknesses. You can always switch back to the app if you want/have to send something by wifi, but the cellular forwarding thing - whatever it is, however it works - just seems to work better.

Jesus loving Christ. Why did I not know this? Mind. Blown. :aaaaa:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Manky posted:

So if you do this do all outbound texts come from your GV number?

Edit: just tried it, the answer is no. And it basically just enables SMS forwarding to your phone without having to use the web control panel. Consequently, contacts are not matched since it uses the SMS forwarding "magic" phone numbers.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Why did I not know this? Mind. Blown. :aaaaa:

Plus it means you can use stuff like SMS Popup or alternative messaging apps like handcent or whatever. It's pretty nice, no lie.

• Locked thread