Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_8325 by avoyer, on Flickr

I thought that was a fun portrait for adult siblings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xenilk posted:

The guy in the rear is terribly distracting!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Niagalack posted:

The guy in the rear is terribly distracting!

I thought it was cute, she's the one with the strong character. It's the "story" I was telling to tell since it was a paid assignment family photo stuff :)

Here's another one:

IMG_8524 by avoyer, on Flickr

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Really loving the 24mm FOV

Ao no Exorcist: Yukio Okumura by CorneliusK, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

xenilk posted:

I thought it was cute, she's the one with the strong character. It's the "story" I was telling to tell since it was a paid assignment family photo stuff :)

Here's another one:

IMG_8524 by avoyer, on Flickr

I prefer the first one - this one has a feel of homeless couple on the streets to me, mainly because the guy looks kinda sad. First one is really nice and a bit different. I wouldn't say he's distracting, because it's obvious you placed him there on purpose, like a band shoot where the rest of the band is behind the frontman.

Remo posted:

The background make me think of Resident Evil. I like how abstracted it is. Is it a stairwell or something?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

thetzar posted:

A couple more new ones from me; a co-worker who's leaving the company shortly.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Really love both of these. The tones and color on the first one are particularly pleasing. I love how light and airy it feels while still defining the planes of his face.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Remo posted:

A couple of cosplay shots which I took recently.

Kami Sama no Memo-chou: Alice by CorneliusK, on Flickr

Kami Sama no Memo-chou: Alice by CorneliusK, on Flickr

We were very tired by the time we took these shots, didn't turn out as nice as we hoped but the basic idea was there.

I'm not into cosplay at all, but these are pretty well done!

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

Thanks Pompous Rhombus!

Gazmachine - yes, this was shot in a stairwell.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I made a really big light box kinda thing at work.

Allan by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TomR posted:

I made a really big light box kinda thing at work.

Allan by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

His expression actually looks like he's thinking "yep, thats a really big lightbox"

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xenilk posted:

I guess I just did not understand the concept !

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
boudoir

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

poopinmymouth posted:

Really love both of these. The tones and color on the first one are particularly pleasing. I love how light and airy it feels while still defining the planes of his face.

Thanks!

Remo posted:

I'm really enjoying the color tones here.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

sw1gger posted:

boudoir

Really like the set up and ides of the images. Especially the lying one. I would caution the use of the black and white you're doing, it seems to be pretty low contrast and makes the shadows a bit ruddy on her legs especially in the balloon picture.

I think if you went with a more blacks are black and whites are white style of bw they might come out much stronger.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Serious question for those doing 'budoir' shoots: Are the people in these paying clients, are you shooting for publication, or is it just personal work? If the latter, are you working with professional models, friends, or just shooting with models looking to pad their portfolios?

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Reichstag posted:

Serious question for those doing 'budoir' shoots: Are the people in these paying clients, are you shooting for publication, or is it just personal work? If the latter, are you working with professional models, friends, or just shooting with models looking to pad their portfolios?

For me, it's almost always paid clients. I don't think I've ever done a "boudoir" style shoot as a favor or for personal work. Most of the time it's a girl looking to get photos done for her boyfriend/fiance/husband/whatever. Others just want to feel good about themselves and have fun with cool photos. Sometimes they're aspiring models looking to pad their portfolio. A bit of everything, really (though I have yet to be published).

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Did a little mini session this afternoon. Trying to get away from the super friendly vibe, and I wanted a really contrasty look for these. I have heard short lighting is apparently more flattering, especially for females, but I liked these ones better.

IMG_0091 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0113 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0118 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like that you're trying new stuff, very neat :) The 3rd picture is my fav, looks very raw (no pun intended) and nice connection with the model.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Everyone's throwing out some really nice work right now - good stuff!

Starting the first of a series of ports this afternoon. As my artistic process if so very thorough and watertight, I have no idea what I'm going to get my sitter to do. I have the general idea of the series and that's it. Let's see where it goes!

EDIT: For a slightly less low-effort post, I like this:

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0118 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

For its directness and the confidence in her expression.

and this:

xenilk posted:

That angle for her face is really nice, plus the pose doesn't look too awkward but she looks fairly "normal" and not too model-y, if you catch my meaning. Plus, she be pretty :3:

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 13, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

xenilk posted:

I love the PP - would you mind sharing what you did? (Or even post the unprocessed image for comparison, if that's not too much to ask?)

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Ooh ooh, let's guess! I think you've put pink / rose in the highlights and yellow in the shadows. Or maybe warmed up the RAW file and then added a pink layer, possibly kept to the highlights / light tones.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Mathturbator posted:

I love the PP - would you mind sharing what you did? (Or even post the unprocessed image for comparison, if that's not too much to ask?)

Sure here's the unprocessed :)

vs

And what I did:

In LR: Recrop slightly (so the trees and the lines on what she's sitting on are straight)
Adjust my tone curve (+12 highlights / -12 darks), vibrance (+51) and saturation (-17)
Added burn (exposure -.14) brush strokes on the eyebrows + around her nose and chin ( separate head from neck )

In Photoshop:
- Removed the blemishes from her face using the Patch tool.
- Used Florabella's Pandora action from her Luxe set ( http://www.florabellacollection.com/florabella-luxe-photoshop-actions.html ) and dropped the opacity at 75% since actions are usually too heavy

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I like the shot and the pose, but I think you should have turned her body a bit more so there wasn't so much leg-spreading crotch action.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You use actions! Respect for you shattered ;_;

I joke, but you can get something like that effect with a selective colour layer and playing around with the magenta channel in the reds and yellows. I'm curious what the base adjustment layer of the action was.

PS. I use actions too :D

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

You use actions! Respect for you shattered ;_;

I joke, but you can get something like that effect with a selective colour layer and playing around with the magenta channel in the reds and yellows. I'm curious what the base adjustment layer of the action was.

PS. I use actions too :D

hahha actions and presets are a godsend for me.

She uses a Gradient for Grayscale Mapping which she calls "Dull Pop", which helps a lot and a blue exclusion (excluding #0b207c) from the image. Other than that it's pretty much hue/saturation , tone curve and levels adjustment.

I figured the purists were going to cringe but what can I say, I love actions/presets... It works well for me so why not :) And I'm not one to take credits over something I didn't create myself

P.S: I'd be curious as to which actions you use :D

xenilk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 13, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RangerScum posted:

I like the shot and the pose, but I think you should have turned her body a bit more so there wasn't so much leg-spreading crotch action.

Seconding this.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Seconding this.

Yeah I took a chance with this, I thought it was giving her a more "boyish" look, which is what I was looking for

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

xenilk posted:

Yeah I took a chance with this, I thought it was giving her a more "boyish" look, which is what I was looking for

There's nothing even a little bit boyish about her though.
It just screams look at my crotch! Which is a little off putting considering the rest of the (very good!) style.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
I have mixed feelings about the crotchiness of the photo.

Generally, I like lots of crotch (if going through the tearsheets I pull from magazines is any indication of what my tastes are). But these are usually coupled with "hard" or "bold" or "sexual" expressions on the faces of the models and/or a very leggy pose. Her face is less "in your face" -- it's soft and approachable, maybe a bit sensual, and while her legs are a very big factor of the photo, I wouldn't call it "leggy."

So, yeah, I guess I agree with what everyone else is saying about crotch, in this photo.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

I guess it's worse because the crotch is in the center of the picture which I guess makes it more obvious. I understand where the comments come from but yeah, I still like that picture for the vibe/posture/horse. Anyhow I'll have other one where this isn't much of an issue that I hope you'll enjoy :)

Edit: On another note... a closeup (no crotch!)

IMG_8382 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 13, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

Edit: On another note... a closeup (no crotch!)

what? automatically a failure in my book then :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

what? automatically a failure in my book then :(

HAHA! I might have a few close up crotch shots, let me get back to you on this. :P

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I wonder if she knows how many people have been looking at and discussing her crotch today.

Also, crotch now looks like a weird word, it's been said that often on this page.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I ruined my phone for this shot.

Model vs Ocean by McMadCow, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

IMG_0021-2-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I re-edited this pic from the summer in preparation for my boudoir shoot coming up (soo excited). How is the processing on this? Too much?

edit: I wanted it a bit brighter, but my in house critique said her skin looked weird when I do that so I eased up on that a bit. That being said, he prefers the raw file, which looks like she's dead so I don't know what to believe. I want a bright, poppy look. I don't mind losing a few details in the skin to brighten it up a lot, but I don't want it to hurt the eyes.

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2012

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I really liked the feel of this shot, love the expressions on their faces.

No. 6 by CorneliusK, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0021-2-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I re-edited this pic from the summer in preparation for my boudoir shoot coming up (soo excited). How is the processing on this? Too much?

edit: I wanted it a bit brighter, but my in house critique said her skin looked weird when I do that so I eased up on that a bit. That being said, he prefers the raw file, which looks like she's dead so I don't know what to believe. I want a bright, poppy look. I don't mind losing a few details in the skin to brighten it up a lot, but I don't want it to hurt the eyes.

Looks pretty good to me. The colors (shirt, in particular) seem just a tad too boosted for my taste, though; skin looks fine. I don't know if you did anything to them, but she's got nice eyes.

Remo posted:

I really liked the feel of this shot, love the expressions on their faces.

No. 6 by CorneliusK, on Flickr

I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting a pretty strong uncanny valley feeling from this picture. They feel almost mannequin-like.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 14, 2012

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I can see where you are coming from, but sometimes it can't be helped - the whole point of cosplay makeup and photography is to replicate the look of the original artwork, whether it ends up looking natural is secondary.

That being said, I do recognize that it is very possible to take this to an extreme where it totally spoils the picture.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Remo posted:

I can see where you are coming from, but sometimes it can't be helped - the whole point of cosplay makeup and photography is to replicate the look of the original artwork, whether it ends up looking natural is secondary.

That being said, I do recognize that it is very possible to take this to an extreme where it totally spoils the picture.

Do you make money off this? It seems like a pretty active niche (if I can call it that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

No, this is on a wholly amateur basis. Most of these kids are still in school ahahaha.