Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I'm sympathetic toward mobile data caps because congestion can be a problem, but paying extra for tethering when I'm already paying more for my cell phone than I pay to get 50mbit at home is loving bullshit. I'd get it if I was streaming poo poo and torrenting constantly, but I'm not even coming close to hitting my monthly cap even after accidentally downloading ~200MB in one day.

Remember that the t-mo tethering plan doesn't raise your data caps or do anything at all. Demanding $15/mo for them to do nothing and give me access to something I already purchased is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Duckman2008 posted:

Its more a matter of if you are going to sign a contract, getting the Nexus is the best idea. Buying and swapping phones outright like the system hotsauce seems to have is another matter, as long as you get a phone that has decent value (which the Epic Touch has), its not a terrible idea. Just save the contract for iphones and Nexus (Nexi?).

Though I wish Google would release their Nexus phones for all the carriers at the same time like the iphones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Boten Anna posted:

I'm sympathetic toward mobile data caps because congestion can be a problem

Caps do nothing for congestion despite what carriers claim. If they want to worry about congestion, they should traffic shape.

A tower could be hit at 110% capacity with users all starting their new billing cycle without a data care in the world. Caps do nothing to help that situation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure if this has been posted but Sprint is planning on an Early Upgrade Buyout Program to select customers.

SprintFeed.com posted:

Non-Eligible Customers:
-Customers that have upgraded less than 8 months ago
-Corporate accounts
-Customers in collections
-Airave and tablet accounts
-iDEN devices

Customers that have upgraded devices between 9-11 months ago would have an early upgrade fee of $165.

Customers that have upgraded between 12-14 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $125.

Customers that have upgraded between 15-17 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $95.

Customers that have upgraded between 18-21 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $55, with anything beyond that period simply incurring the standard $36 upgrade fee.

This will last from February 12, 2012 to April 14, 2012.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Caps do nothing for congestion despite what carriers claim. If they want to worry about congestion, they should traffic shape.

A tower could be hit at 110% capacity with users all starting their new billing cycle without a data care in the world. Caps do nothing to help that situation.

Yeah it's not my favorite thing, and while 5GB sounds reasonable now, it isn't like they're going to bump those up once 4G is widespread. I'm not sure why it's legal to call it "unlimited" when it's limited in not only volume but in how you use it :bahgawd:

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure if this has been posted but Sprint is planning on an Early Upgrade Buyout Program to select customers.

Galaxy Nexus coming out April 15, CONF1RMED!!!11

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ThermoPhysical posted:

SprintFeed.com posted:

Non-Eligible Customers:
-Customers that have upgraded less than 8 months ago
-Corporate accounts
-Customers in collections
-Airave and tablet accounts
-iDEN devices

Customers that have upgraded devices between 9-11 months ago would have an early upgrade fee of $165.

Customers that have upgraded between 12-14 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $125.

Customers that have upgraded between 15-17 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $95.

Customers that have upgraded between 18-21 months ago will have an early upgrade fee of $55, with anything beyond that period simply incurring the standard $36 upgrade fee.

Well my last upgrade was July 2010 so that puts me in the $55 category. My upgrade kicks in May 1st so I think I'll wait, hopefully the Galaxy Nexus S is out by then or shortly thereafter. Or I could wait to see what the next EVO is...

In other news, Baltimore & Kansas City will be the first Sprint 4G LTE markets. I seem to recall Baltimore being among the first to get Sprint's 4G WiMax service. I wonder if the enhanced 3G mentioned in the article is the EVDO Rev. B talked about here a while back, just before the iPhone release.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mark Larson posted:

Galaxy Nexus coming out April 15, CONF1RMED!!!11

That was my first thought too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

What debacle? :confused:
Everyone bought into the hype of the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus because it was billed as a "development phone", meaning it would have full AOSP support and be an easy platform to build custom ROMs on. Related to this is the fact that Google has controlled updates on their past Nexus phones (N1, NS, etc.), and as a result, they've all ran vanilla Android and were the first Android devices to get the latest updates.

But in the past few weeks, three things have happened:

1. The NS4G ICS update still isn't out, despite the fact that it's been ready (as in, Google released all the code and proprietary bits, just not the update itself) since December 16th. Although the NS ICS update was halted temporarily, it's quite likely that the ball is in Sprint's court on this one. In short, it's an instance of what folks worry might be a trend, which is that CDMA Nexus devices don't get updates right away. (Although I'm sure they will faster than other OEMs.)

2. Google has demoted both the CDMA(/LTE) Nexus S 4G and Galaxy Nexus from "development phone" status. They no longer officially support those devices in AOSP (although support was never complete for them to begin with), they removed build instructions from the AOSP site, and the proprietaries, while still available, are now marked as "archived".

Now, this isn't a huge deal in practice, but folks are acting like Google backstabbed them. In reality, it reflects the fact that Google's CDMA devices always were and will be second-class citizens, which isn't comforting.

3. The Galaxy Nexus was released and turns out to have a number of problems. Most are just growing pains or general ICS incompatibilities, but it also has a lovely camera.

That said, I do believe the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is going to be the best Android device they sell when it finally comes to market. But to say that folks's hopes and expectations for it haven't changed for it in the past few weeks would be a gross lie.

Boten Anna posted:

I don't see the point of a "faster" network if I'm going to get bullied and play cat and mouse for using the data plan I pay for, either. One of the big reasons I liked T-Mobile is they didn't do poo poo Like That, but now they are so gently caress 'em.
It's true that carrier tethering policies are illogical and suck, kind of like copyright in this digital age. That said, all the carriers are doing it.

AT&T and T-Mobile are the only carriers that allow unbranded phones onto their network, which can tether out-of-the-box with no third-party or modified software. Thus, AT&T and T-Mo actively send out letters and crap to extract their $15/mo.

In contrast, Verizon and Sprint only allow branded phones onto their network, and thus, tend to use device-centric approaches to dissuade tethering. Verizon has been doing weird tracking poo poo ever since the Thunderbolt. Even on the Nexus S 4G, the WiMAX stack is completely proprietary and won't allow WiFi-AP tethering over it without a plan or some dirty trcks.

Just because Sprint appears to yet to have gone after folks for modding their phones and getting around tethering restrictions doesn't mean the won't start to. In fact, I fully expect it, and it would be unwise to make your carrier selection based on the perception that it's something they're cool about, or at least willing to look over.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 10, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I already wanted to switch to Sprint anyway, so it isn't like this is the ONLY reason, but I'm going from feeling slightly bad about leaving tmo to pretty mad over tethering gouging.

I've been running rooted/custom ROMs on my Nexus One forever and like it way better than stock, so I'm not afraid of doing that (because all carriers are shitlords with regards to upgrading their poo poo) so as long as I can still do that I'll be happy.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

big mean giraffe posted:

That was my first thought too.

Naah, they'll probably wait 15 days from the April 14th end date to give the early upgraders time to run out the return period.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My mom has a BB style that she purchased December 2010 on SERO. Would she qualify for that early buy out program? She doesn't like her phone and refuses to buy a used phone until her contract is up

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

My mom has a BB style that she purchased December 2010 on SERO. Would she qualify for that early buy out program? She doesn't like her phone and refuses to buy a used phone until her contract is up

No idea, call and ask. Worst they say is no. Also, my condolences on the phone she got, I still get pangs of guilt over selling it (almost as much as the Transform).

Mark Larson posted:

Naah, they'll probably wait 15 days from the April 14th end date to give the early upgraders time to run out the return period.

This.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Duckman is there anything right now you would consider worthy of using this for or am I better off just waiting out the LTE phones and seeing how that whole situation pans out?

e: Yeah I figured there was nothing worth upgrading to and it was better off just waiting for the Galaxy Nexus.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 11, 2012

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
If anyone is considering asking Duckman2008 for help or buying something from him I strongly advise against it. I've asked him to check some things on my account in the past and all he's done is thoroughly help me out and resolve my problems.

I took my EVO 3D to his store today to get a bad earpiece replaced. He had the nerve to take my broken phone and give it back to me in perfect working order. I didn't want a replacement because I'd lose S-OFF so for some reason he took it upon himself to promptly take the phone apart and replace the bad piece.

If you ever need anything done for a Sprint account I strongly suggest staying away from this guy. If you insist on using him, I hope you can look past the Cheetos stained fingers and Mountain Dew breath. If so, and if you value quality service, he is your "man." Truly a goon of the lowest order.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

Duckman is there anything right now you would consider worthy of using this for or am I better off just waiting out the LTE phones and seeing how that whole situation pans out?

Do you mean any phone i recommend upgrading to? I'd hold out for the Galaxy Nexus, if you need something immediate buy the Nexus S used.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

If anyone is considering asking Duckman2008 for help or buying something from him I strongly advise against it. I've asked him to check some things on my account in the past and all he's done is thoroughly help me out and resolve my problems.

I took my EVO 3D to his store today to get a bad earpiece replaced. He had the nerve to take my broken phone and give it back to me in perfect working order. I didn't want a replacement because I'd lose S-OFF so for some reason he took it upon himself to promptly take the phone apart and replace the bad piece.

If you ever need anything done for a Sprint account I strongly suggest staying away from this guy. If you insist on using him, I hope you can look past the Cheetos stained fingers and Mountain Dew breath. If so, and if you value quality service, he is your "man." Truly a goon of the lowest order.

Being that it was the first Evo 3D I repaired (and the 3D is an absolute BITCH to repair), I did a drat good job! Thank you for the kind words, good sir :)

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm having trouble with Evo 3d, recently it has begun constantly resetting itself. I haven't rooted the phone or installed any apps I didn't get from the Marketplace. There aren't any updates that I haven't installed and I haven't installed any updates or new apps since well before it started happening. It seems to happen at random, many times when I'm not even using it and the only background app is a battery one that I've had forever. Does anyone know what's causing this?

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
For those of you who are hoping Clear 4G will be rolled out to your area, there is still hope. I just noticed that I now have 4G access where I'm living, and I definitely didn't when I moved here last month.

What makes this completely absurd is that there is still no Sprint 3G access here :psyduck:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

For those of you who are hoping Clear 4G will be rolled out to your area, there is still hope. I just noticed that I now have 4G access where I'm living, and I definitely didn't when I moved here last month.

What makes this completely absurd is that there is still no Sprint 3G access here :psyduck:

The coverage map says I'm supposed to have 4g in the area and at one point I definitely did. For poo poo's and giggles I left it on for a day and it never picked up 4g once. I don't really know what happened.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

z16bitsega posted:

What market are you in?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Anyone have the problem with the Evo 3d where when you hit the power button to turn it on and the screen comes on for a split second and turns itself back off. Also vice versa you hit the power button to turn it off and it goes off for a split second and comes right back on. It's annoying as hell.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

900ftjesus posted:

What market are you in?

Sunbury, PA

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

OptimusMatrix posted:

Anyone have the problem with the Evo 3d where when you hit the power button to turn it on and the screen comes on for a split second and turns itself back off. Also vice versa you hit the power button to turn it off and it goes off for a split second and comes right back on. It's annoying as hell.

Yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

z16bitsega posted:

Sunbury, PA

Clear probably put up a place holder tower in your area, i'd be surprised if they expanded into that area, and you're a bit far from Harrisburg.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes.

So many times yes.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

OptimusMatrix posted:

Happens with my Evo 4g, too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to this poll on SprintFeed.com, most Sprint users believe that ICS will hit phones such as the NS4G, EVO 3D, and SSGSIIET4G (...wow, that's an amazing acronym) before the Galaxy Nexus is even released.

I used to believe the GNex would launch before any phone got ICS but I'm seriously starting to doubt that. Sprint would REALLY get unhappy customers then.

SprintFeed also speculates that Sprint could share their new LTE network with T-Mobile.

SprintFeed.com posted:

A popular theory making its rounds is Sprint and the Magenta Posse working out a deal that could possibly see T-Mobile gaining access to Sprint’s LTE 4G network in return for a chunk of spectrum and additional revenues.

During Sprint’s recent Q4 conference call, Hesse said that the company would consider transactions and partnerships that were beneficial to shareholders

I think this could be interesting. Even if Sprint lost customers to T-Mobile, wouldn't they still get some money if they shared LTE because the customer would still be using Sprint's network?

How do other companies that share Sprint's spectrum work out anyway? I know there's Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk (I may be missing some others). I heard rumors that Virgin Mobile used the "lowest rung of the ladder" when it came to service, Boost uses the "middle", and Sprint's own post-paid customers get the best. Is this true?

If Sprint shares their network such as when they did with Cox Communication's now-dead cellular phone service, did Sprint get a large chunk of money from each phone sale or how did that work?

I think this could be interesting,

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to this poll on SprintFeed.com, most Sprint users believe that ICS will hit phones such as the NS4G, EVO 3D, and SSGSIIET4G (...wow, that's an amazing acronym) before the Galaxy Nexus is even released.

I used to believe the GNex would launch before any phone got ICS but I'm seriously starting to doubt that. Sprint would REALLY get unhappy customers then.

SprintFeed also speculates that Sprint could share their new LTE network with T-Mobile.

I think this could be interesting. Even if Sprint lost customers to T-Mobile, wouldn't they still get some money if they shared LTE because the customer would still be using Sprint's network?

How do other companies that share Sprint's spectrum work out anyway? I know there's Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk (I may be missing some others). I heard rumors that Virgin Mobile used the "lowest rung of the ladder" when it came to service, Boost uses the "middle", and Sprint's own post-paid customers get the best. Is this true?

If Sprint shares their network such as when they did with Cox Communication's now-dead cellular phone service, did Sprint get a large chunk of money from each phone sale or how did that work?

I think this could be interesting,

Can't answer how they handle it, but currently Boost, Virgin Mobile, one of the Wal-Mart plans (not straight talk actually) and Cricket all use Sprint towers (in Crickets case for nationwide coverage where they have none). I would think Sprint prioritizes its network, but I don't know for sure. If someone can answer this one better I'm curious myself.

Also factor in that services like Boost and Virgin (both of which owned by Sprint) ONLY get Sprint coverage, so there is no roaming off Verizon.

Sprint sharing with TMobile would not surprise me at all, and really couldn't hurt Sprint. The only thing that can hurt Sprint is if TMobile gets the iPhone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Can't answer how they handle it, but currently Boost, Virgin Mobile, one of the Wal-Mart plans (not straight talk actually) and Cricket all use Sprint towers (in Crickets case for nationwide coverage where they have none). I would think Sprint prioritizes its network, but I don't know for sure. If someone can answer this one better I'm curious myself.

Also factor in that services like Boost and Virgin (both of which owned by Sprint) ONLY get Sprint coverage, so there is no roaming off Verizon.

Sprint sharing with TMobile would not surprise me at all, and really couldn't hurt Sprint. The only thing that can hurt Sprint is if TMobile gets the iPhone.

I wonder what the chances would be for T-Mobile getting the iPhone.

That's a good point about Boost and Virgin being Sprint only, I imagine they may not get extra money from those but I'm still curious about how it's prioritized. I forgot that Cricket used Sprint too.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If anyone with an EVO 4G is looking to try out an ICS rom MazWoz ICS is pretty drat solid. The guy is updating it at a staggering pace, he's pretty active in his thread and very good about answering questions/fixing problems. It's based off Evervolv, but honestly I think his rom runs significantly better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Akileese posted:

If anyone with an EVO 4G is looking to try out an ICS rom MazWoz ICS is pretty drat solid. The guy is updating it at a staggering pace, he's pretty active in his thread and very good about answering questions/fixing problems. It's based off Evervolv, but honestly I think his rom runs significantly better.

Got a link? Camera, 4G, etc working?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Got a link? Camera, 4G, etc working?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481091

The beginning of the thread was a bit of a huge flame war, but everything eventually got cleared up.

4G isn't working, but camera is. It's definitely stable enough for daily use.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Hi guys! Long-time Sprint customer here, going on 6 years now. I'm up for another contract in March for a 5-line family plan with parents / siblings and I had a couple questions, if you all wouldn't mind clarifying a few things for me:
  • The EPRP stuff looks cool, and I thank the noble goon who shared his info for us to use. However, is it only for new customers?
  • My father gets almost no service where he works, which is in a fairly open area and should have excellent service, according to the map on the site. If he upgrades from a crappy Samsung Moment to the iPhone4S, is there a chance he'll get a better signal? I have pretty crap service that fluctuates on my Moment, too. If he can't get good service at work, I don't think we'll be able to stick with Sprint.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alright so it looks like the charge port in this EVO 4G is getting busted again. If I plug the charger in the phone recognizes the charger and starts to charge but as soon as I put the phone down the phone stops charging.

If I use some force and push the charger in the port as much as I can the charge sticks sometimes. Heck if I hold the phone upside down the charge sticks.

Do I have a chance to get this replaced at the Sprint store without having to pay? They covered my last EVO when the port died, but in this case I dunno.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

androo: EPRP is for new customers only. And y'all probably won't get a better signal until later this year or next year when the network upgrades take place. Phone model doesn't really matter too much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Alright so it looks like the charge port in this EVO 4G is getting busted again. If I plug the charger in the phone recognizes the charger and starts to charge but as soon as I put the phone down the phone stops charging.

If I use some force and push the charger in the port as much as I can the charge sticks sometimes. Heck if I hold the phone upside down the charge sticks.

Do I have a chance to get this replaced at the Sprint store without having to pay? They covered my last EVO when the port died, but in this case I dunno.

You shouldn't have to pay.

And if I remember right that was my evo that I swapped to you. RIP :/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

You shouldn't have to pay. Stop messing with it and swap it asap, if you rip the port off the board its physical damage and that isn't covered.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Your EVO treated me very well and it will surely be missed.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you have any documentation about the evo charging port issue?
I'm at a sprint store right now trying to get them to swap it.
They are wanting to charge me the 100 fee :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you have any documentation about the evo charging port issue?
I'm at a sprint store right now trying to get them to swap it.
They are wanting to charge me the 100 fee :(

I can look out up, but it's a known issue. The problem is differentiating between a known issue under warranty (note: covered outside of warranty in this case too) and physical damage that would void any warranty. And unfortunately, if the pins are damaged and not connected to the board, that wouldn't be covered. Does it charge at all?