Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Haledjian posted:

Hey Sindow is that a panel from the strip? If not, where'd it come from?
Are you talking about their avatar? If so, it's from this update, well at least the flash part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kazerad posted:

edit: woah woah woah, I totally just got my first Tumblr ragequit today guys! For railroading, I guess. I will frame it on my achievements board.

editedit: wait, I got overexcited. On further inspection, I'm not sure if he was a regular reader or someone going through the archive for the first time. Time to find out.

Methinks he's just bitter about Dmitiri biting the big one.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpArShC7RXk

Kaz you are definitely in the big boys club now. First Tumblr ragequit and now you've got people making fan music?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kazerad posted:

As for tabletop RPGs, I've played a little bit but never really got into it. I've done a lot of research on them, though; much of the literature about pen and paper games is very applicable to other mediums as well.
I figured that you would have at least researched them if not played them: while for the most part RPGs are a bunch of friends dicking around a table (in my experience, at least), there is always a certain level of complexity underneath them.

Wrist Watch posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpArShC7RXk
Kaz you are definitely in the big boys club now. First Tumblr ragequit and now you've got people making fan music?
All that's missing now are a couple of (dead)Dimitri/gro-Upp/ASOTIL slashfics and some general Rule 34 pictures. :mmmhmm:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

radintorov posted:

All that's missing now are a couple of (dead)Dimitri/gro-Upp/ASOTIL slashfics and some general Rule 34 pictures. :mmmhmm:

There can be no doubt that this has already happened.

Anyhow, I just noticed that in the current update Katja has ropeburn on the inside of her hands. That's pretty amazing attention to detail.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Haledjian posted:

Hey Sindow is that a panel from the strip? If not, where'd it come from?

Yeah, like WFW said, it's from the flash where she's underground and actually uses her eye of fear successfully. The only time ever. :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

There can be no doubt that this has already happened.

Let's settle this once and for all. I'll just put "Katia Prequel" into Google Image Search and see if NNNGYAAAH SWEET MOTHER OF gently caress WHY DID I DO THAT yup Kazerad's in the big leagues now

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

Wow, first Homestuck, then Ruby Quest, and now Prequel getting its own fan music.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wrist Watch posted:

I have to confess, this is surprisingly good. A hell of a lot better than what I was expecting. Good beat.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

IronSaber posted:

Wow, first Homestuck, then Ruby Quest, and now Prequel getting its own fan music.

Wait, Ruby Quest has fan music? How did this happen?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

pandaK posted:

Wait, Ruby Quest has fan music? How did this happen?

The fans did it, I guess. Linkity.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This panel really highlights the whole 4-fingers thing and kinda freaks me out. What made you decide to go that way with it, Kaz?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

This panel really highlights the whole 4-fingers thing and kinda freaks me out. What made you decide to go that way with it, Kaz?

Five fingers is traditionally considered one too many in cartooning. They just clutter the design unnecessarily. Try drawing a cartoon character with five fingers and you'll probably realise the problem.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Android Blues posted:

Five fingers is traditionally considered one too many in cartooning. They just clutter the design unnecessarily. Try drawing a cartoon character with five fingers and you'll probably realise the problem.

Yeah, I didn't notice this at all, and even after it was pointed out, I still have a hard time seeing it.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Wrist Watch posted:

The fanmusic has actually been around for a while! This one is even on the Fanart page; it was written by one of the MSPA Music Team people, I believe (sadly, not credited by name on the video).

Zenzirouj posted:

Because that's how it's been done so far. Besides that, Android is pretty spot-on: four-fingered hands are just a lot easier to draw, and people usually don't even notice (unless you both hands showing and all the fingers flayed out, apparently)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Well then those elves have one hi too many. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Elysiume posted:

Well then those elves have one hi too many. :colbert:

I would say something about "high elves" but those guys are Bosmer so I dunno

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like this but I don't like the slut shaming. There are ways to say you're embarrassed by your past without literally having your inner monologue constantly call you a slut.

I can't stop laughing at the innocent fun grape jelly picture

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, it's what everybody does, but I kind of assumed that people drawing something in a cartoony-style (which is a pretty lovely descriptor, but good enough for my purposes) made the decision because they had some reason for it other than not wanting to draw extra fingers. Is it really just because everybody else does it that way? It seems like I've seen similarly styled stuff with 5 fingers. Kinda like the Limbaugh in the avatar above me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, it's what everybody does, but I kind of assumed that people drawing something in a cartoony-style (which is a pretty lovely descriptor, but good enough for my purposes) made the decision because they had some reason for it other than not wanting to draw extra fingers. Is it really just because everybody else does it that way? It seems like I've seen similarly styled stuff with 5 fingers. Kinda like the Limbaugh in the avatar above me.

Well, everyone does it that way (not everyone, but most cartoonists) simply because five fingers overcrowds the clean, iconic style of most cartoon characters. It's definitely a rule you can break, but seriously, try drawing a Mickey Mouse or Sonic the Hedgehog-type character (or a Prequel or Homestuck-type character) with five fingers and you'll probably realise why it's not usually broken. With how simply composed these characters are, drawing five-fingered hands often has the visual effect of, say, drawing a portrait instead of their face.

e: huh, looking for pictures, Sonic the Hedgehog actually does have five fingers. I guess that puts a hole in my tire! Still, that's why people do it. It's not a universal rule of course, just a useful guideline.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Krinkle posted:

I like this but I don't like the slut shaming. There are ways to say you're embarrassed by your past without literally having your inner monologue constantly call you a slut.

I can't stop laughing at the innocent fun grape jelly picture

If it makes you feel better it's Katia being lovely to herself, not the creator trying to say something about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Android Blues posted:

e: huh, looking for pictures, Sonic the Hedgehog actually does have five fingers. I guess that puts a hole in my tire! Still, that's why people do it. It's not a universal rule of course, just a useful guideline.

That's because Sonic was created in japan, where a missing finger has a more loaded meaning. A lot of the times when a character created in the west gets a series or a video game or something over there, they'll add a finger. Wouldn't want Bob the Builder to look like a gangster!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pollyanna posted:

If it makes you feel better it's Katia being lovely to herself, not the creator trying to say something about it.

Yeah at this point it Katia's shown to be not the most functional of people and not everything she thinks should be taken as the viewpoint of the narrative. She's a slut-shamer....
but she also thought that jumping in a well of carnivorous fish was something she should do.

And as I've said before I'm not sure of a way to correct her in-story at this point that would move the plot along, come off as furry masturbation fodder (the internet lit up over a one-frame tit bounce and a inch-high sprite pole dancing), or most importantly be funny.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Pollyanna posted:

The problem is this doesn't really matter if it's not evident in the text--outside of this thread I've only ever seen readers taking it as, I don't know, the word of god.

But yeah the comic's invested a lot in slut shaming as comedy fodder at this point, it'd be pretty tough to turn that into any kind of a positive mention without weird tonal shifts

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Haledjian posted:

The problem is this doesn't really matter if it's not evident in the text--outside of this thread I've only ever seen readers taking it as, I don't know, the word of god.

But yeah the comic's invested a lot in slut shaming as comedy fodder at this point, it'd be pretty tough to turn that into any kind of a positive mention without weird tonal shifts

This kind of reminds me of how upset my parents were when I tried to watch Dexter with my sister at her house because she could not understand the difference between watching a show with a serial killer protagonist and rooting for serial killing.

Fiction has a lot of weird things in general just because there's a lot that doesn't lend itself well to fiction, like a couple that's happy and stable and has mutual understanding, or therapists that actually do good jobs helping people with mental problems instead of having evil ulterior motives or just being hacks.
People watch poo poo and get the weirdest ideas of how codependent romance is supposed to be and how getting professional help with psychiatric problems is a bad idea, but is that really the shows fault for not constantly putting in life lessons and instead trying to take the more Dramatic path?

It's a real social problem, but I'm pretty sure it's just the readers problem for having lovely attitudes. If they use Katia's attitude - which has done nothing positive for Katia - to justify it, then they can't tell fiction from reality. And most of them don't because a lot of them are internet shut-ins who are more sympathetic to a mspaint cat girl than anyone in real life.

tl;dr - I think the reader base for the comic is mostly lovely and the comic shouldn't necessarily be blamed for it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

That's because Sonic was created in japan, where a missing finger has a more loaded meaning. A lot of the times when a character created in the west gets a series or a video game or something over there, they'll add a finger. Wouldn't want Bob the Builder to look like a gangster!
It was also a thing making fun of the lower class, who worked in meat packing. It's fine if you pay them money, though.

It's why Abe from the Oddworld series (last question on the page) had a finger removed/cut from each hand (along with all Mudokons), in later copies of the first game along with the later games. Because two fingers missing wasn't a problem. The in game model, the one that players actually use, actually has four fingers on his hands, but the cutscenes had to be changed. I think now it isn't as much a problem, as the HD remakes add the finger back in, from what I read.

Though it's probably mainly a meat packing industry related thing, considering how the first game was pretty much about a meat industry. It's still interesting that it became 'less' offensive to have the characters lose fingers, than to have four fingered hands that were 'missing' fingers.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Looks like the site went belly up.

Everything OK on your end, Kaz?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

Yeah, just went to check for an update and 403'd.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's a real social problem, but I'm pretty sure it's just the readers problem for having lovely attitudes. If they use Katia's attitude - which has done nothing positive for Katia - to justify it, then they can't tell fiction from reality. And most of them don't because a lot of them are internet shut-ins who are more sympathetic to a mspaint cat girl than anyone in real life.

tl;dr - I think the reader base for the comic is mostly lovely and the comic shouldn't necessarily be blamed for it.
Art, even fiction, doesn't really get the luxury of being examined in a vacuum like that. Like everything else, this comic exists in a society where slut shaming is pretty normal behavior, and if it presents slut shaming in an uncritical light people are going to take it that way unless they're already predisposed to question that. You can call that a "lovely readership" if you want but it's pretty much an inevitability with any readership that's not already comprised of explicitly feminist people.

It's been addressed before, and I think at this point the issue is "stop being a slut" is so ingrained as one of Katia's "self-improvement" bullet points. From what I remember Kazerad basically said that wasn't what he intended to convey but he doesn't think it's a big enough deal to address.

For what it's worth though the comic's been a lot better about it since it was raised in this thread, which is awesome. Katia getting eaten by fish and licked by a vampire is a lot funnier than Katia getting raped.

And yeah, hoping that the server's not in too much trouble. :smith:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I read that bullet point more as a general "get control of your life" thing. Both times that she's woken up with weird guys/entities in her bed, she ended up despairing and getting smashed. It's not so much that she's trying to have less sex, she's trying to stop making horribly decisions (getting super drunk) that tend to lead towards sex.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

For sure, it's just a fine distinction that a lot of people don't make at all. With the extent that Kazerad's participated in discussions about it thus far I'm hopeful he'll be a little more sensitive with that type of material in the future

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

IronSaber posted:

Everything's cool; apparently even with the CDN the site was generating too much traffic for my host to handle. We've optimized it some and it should be back up as soon as they peruse our optimizations and hit the button to re-enable public access.

For the time being, you can read the next update here if you want.

Haledjian posted:

For sure, it's just a fine distinction that a lot of people don't make at all. With the extent that Kazerad's participated in discussions about it thus far I'm hopeful he'll be a little more sensitive with that type of material in the future

I probably won't be getting much more sensitive about it. I've probably said this elsewhere in the thread, but I kind of like playing with fire. I personally think the slut-shaming is an important part of her character, and I've found a certain percentage of people really respect that I leave it in (rather than creating a character who is messed up in more socially acceptable ways).

I think it's a mistake to single out the slut-shaming on its own, though. The way I see it, one of Katia's major character flaws is that she bases her entire self-opinion off the views of others: the smallest compliment overjoys her and harsh words devastate her because she takes them both as objective measures of he self-worth. As far as she's concerned, someone saying she's a worthless slut means she that's what is, and her character is presumably shaped by years of that.

Personally I think the racism aspects are darker than the slut-shaming ones. It's easy to disregard when dealing with elves and cat people, but the way she casually drops terms like "hideous catlike fingers" or describes herself with words like "subhuman" shows a certain degree of racism against herself. While it's mostly used for humor like everything else, it plays into that whole somewhat saddening central theme that Katia has let everyone else's opinions shape who she is.

I know you're mostly just concerned for any readers who will be alienated or upset by the undertones, but I don't think you have to worry about it. From my extensive reader-monitoring I get the impression that most people do make that connection that it's an aspect of her character. A kind of unsettling one, but some people like that.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

I can only hope that accidental and violent telekinesis can also be triggered by cat puns. :allears:

'Course, fires are caused by burns. So telekinesis is caused by... put downs? Gonna need some pyrokinesis disasters here

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Man, I read all of Prequel in the course of 2 nights with my ipad knockoff. I don't read webcomics, and I despise Homestuck because it's shoved in my face all over the internet.

I don't know how this happened.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Um Jammer 6096 posted:

I don't know how this happened.
Schadenfreude combined with an underdog you end up rooting for?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Sindow posted:

Yeah, like WFW said, it's from the flash where she's underground and actually uses her eye of fear successfully. The only time ever. :)

Ahem.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why is Nah pissed? Katia thanked her for saving her life and patching her up and stuff. Was she expecting Katia to offer her the chance to lick jelly off of her some more blood in gratitude?

That's just greedy, she already got to lap up her wounds. If she took any more, Katia would either A. die, making the first-aid pointless, or B. get infected, making more competition for her in the future.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is Nah pissed? Katia thanked her for saving her life and patching her up and stuff. Was she expecting Katia to offer her the chance to lick jelly off of her some more blood in gratitude?

That's just greedy, she already got to lap up her wounds. If she took any more, Katia would either A. die, making the first-aid pointless, or B. get infected, making more competition for her in the future.

It's because Nah believes in traditional medicine instead of potions and healing spells. So for Katia to not even acknowledge that the bandages are a good idea is an insult to Nah's medical sensibilities.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

jng2058 posted:

It's because Nah believes in traditional medicine instead of potions and healing spells. So for Katia to not even acknowledge that the bandages are a good idea is an insult to Nah's medical sensibilities.

Ah. Also, I believe it may also have to do with Katia saying this:

Katia posted:

“For… wrapping me up in spongey tape, for some reason?”

which just rubs it in Nah's face that nobody even knows that bandages and gauze are anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Kazerad posted:

...or describes herself with words like "subhuman" shows a certain degree of racism against herself.

The proper term is "laguz." :colbert:

• Locked thread