Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Welp, time for this computer to explode so we can get to Act 6 Intermission 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I gave out a little cheer when I saw Captain Snoop there.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Oxxidation posted:

I am more than prepared for something to actually loving happen already.

Act 6: Hivebent 2.0 (I completely agree that this is starting to drag. Too much exposition, too little actually happening.)

That said, hell yes, Captain Snoop!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I stopped reading Homestuck cause I've got poo poo to do and one time waster had to go.

I now have even more poo poo to do so naturally I put it all off to catch up on two weeks worth of unread Homestuck and... :stare:

I didn't think it could get more meta. HOW DID IT GET MORE META?!?

Also I can't help but notice that the player select screen has enough room for eight...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Count me in as one of the people ready for poo poo to get going. We've established the new characters pretty well at this point. All Hussie needs to do is drop a new revelation/cliffhanger, and we'll be all set for another intermission or something.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While I want to add to the chorus of "it's dragging on a bit", I suspect this might be an archive/serial reading issue again. When you're bombing through the archive, it's okay to have nice, long build-ups toward local climaxes and milestones. You know it's there, you know it's coming up, and you don't really notice how long you spend waiting for the stage to be set. When you're living from update to update, though, there's a much stronger sense of "okay, we've had years of build-up now, let's get to the action already!"

There are so many things that we, as serial readers, expect to be a big deal since we spend days and weeks dwelling on them (usually a character's emotional reaction to some event), but which gets brushed over in the comic - and again, when you reread the comic later, you don't notice the 'big deal' as much because much like the characters you don't have quite so long to think about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

While I want to add to the chorus of "it's dragging on a bit", I suspect this might be an archive/serial reading issue again. When you're bombing through the archive, it's okay to have nice, long build-ups toward local climaxes and milestones. You know it's there, you know it's coming up, and you don't really notice how long you spend waiting for the stage to be set. When you're living from update to update, though, there's a much stronger sense of "okay, we've had years of build-up now, let's get to the action already!"

There are so many things that we, as serial readers, expect to be a big deal since we spend days and weeks dwelling on them (usually a character's emotional reaction to some event), but which gets brushed over in the comic - and again, when you reread the comic later, you don't notice the 'big deal' as much because much like the characters you don't have quite so long to think about it.

I talked this over with a friend who's also burnt out on Homestuck's current pace, and we both agreed that Act 6 might be even worse for archive readers. Act 5 is dense but there's always a ton of poo poo happening, to the point where linear time starts getting screwy in its effort to depict all the plot, and then after the EOA everything screeches to a dead stop and we get Act 1: The Redux. Except that now all the mechanics and even some of the characters are already known to us, and we get what amounts to weeks of prep time with an absolute ton of fluff. AR is great and all but I think we needed maybe half as many chatlogs of Dirk arguing with himself, if that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Either way we're getting a several day break so I guess regardless of the actual pacing we're in for a wait.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I really like UU's uncomfortable reaction to the word "lord." There are ways in which this character definitely annoys and depresses me, but her connection to Lord English is something I really want to know more about.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I say "Cheerio" every so often. But then a lot of people say I'm the most British person they know (well yes, I do like tea and cricket and preserved steam railways...)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I said it back when Act 6 started and I'll say it again: gently caress it, let's re-do all of Acts 1-4. I'm game :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I really like UU's uncomfortable reaction to the word "lord." There are ways in which this character definitely annoys and depresses me, but her connection to Lord English is something I really want to know more about.

Her acting confused as to who Dirk's lord is left me wondering exactly who she thinks Jove is, too. :raise:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FrictionlessEmu posted:

I'm a sucker for cute things, so I decided to try my hand at making some Homestuck plushies. I started with an Aradia grub, and I think she came out pretty well! (There's some more pictures on my tumblr).

Oh god I saw this image and my wallet jumped out of my pocket and leaped at the screen help

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

loquacius posted:

Her acting confused as to who Dirk's lord is left me wondering exactly who she thinks Jove is, too. :raise:

Maybe in her research on humans she came across only Roman gods?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Now, I might be a little bit dull, but if you ask me, Homestuck is a very complicated story! Just how does Hussie go about writing this thing and figure out how to tell it?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Eggie posted:

Now, I might be a little bit dull, but if you ask me, Homestuck is a very complicated story! Just how does Hussie go about writing this thing and figure out how to tell it?

He organizes every minute detail together like for example he'll aggregate everything about cats and Jasper etc next to each other even if they currently don't have much in common.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I wonder if Hussie planned from the beginning for Sassacre's Text to kill Jaspers (hence intentional foreshadowing) or if he just got the idea from looking back at that quote or from fan speculation?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Nobody really knows for 99% of these things. More than likely he's just a master of throwing a lot of poo poo into the air and catching it when it falls - making references and statements synch up as opportunity knocks and making it look like he planned the Sassacre text to kill Jaspers the cat in a rest universe where the guardians and kids have swapped places all the way back in act one.

It's part of the charm of Homestuck that the stream of references and connections is neverending, to the point that anything you happen to imagine seeing or speculate you might see in the future can be woven in. More of this probably relies on Hussie's relatively short-term improvisational skills than his long-term planning.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

It actually kind of reminds me of the way the story of Axe Cop unfolds.

So, originally, there's this minor character called Uni-baby (a baby with a unicorn horn), and then uni-baby disappears. I think he's kidnapped or something. Then a few stories later another minor character called uni-man shows up (a man with a unicorn horn), who says he's looking for a lost son. A story or so later, he goes on a search for his son, finds the guy who kidnapped uni-baby, and takes uni-baby back.

The person who writes Axe Cop is five years old (or was five at the time).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eggie posted:

He's running out of walls to write on.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lady of the Beech posted:

I wonder if Hussie planned from the beginning for Sassacre's Text to kill Jaspers (hence intentional foreshadowing) or if he just got the idea from looking back at that quote or from fan speculation?

Sassacre and Jasper rhymed so he put them next to each other and went from there

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Are you saying that Dirk's sylladex is modeled after Hussie's story-planning system? He really is a self-insert!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Clearly he needs to turn it sideways and start writing on top of it:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

People keep linking to older Hussie comics but nobody has mentioned Humanimals? What the heck

http://www.andrewhussie.com/comic.php?sec=archive&auth=Blurbs&blurb=h&cid=blurbs/00047-h.gif

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

So THAT'S why he moves so often. He needs fresh walls.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

People keep linking to older Hussie comics but nobody has mentioned Humanimals? What the heck

http://www.andrewhussie.com/comic.php?sec=archive&auth=Blurbs&blurb=h&cid=blurbs/00047-h.gif

There's a reason people don't mention Humanimals.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

We dont mention it because we're all familiar with it. Frothing with glee when humanimals appeared in MSPA.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
Began reading Gunnerkrigg Court after seeing so many references to it in the past few days.

Sleeping is a thing that people who get into web-comics with many pages do not do.
Reminds me of when I first started Homestuck. :allears:

EDIT: Got up to the current page of that comic, and :stare: :iia:

EDIT2: Also read through the entirety of It Don't Stop, not that there was as much. Very good. I hope there is more of them then in this passing section of the Homestuck story.

TOAST7312 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 12, 2012

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

With the deadline fast approaching, I threw together a third entry for the music contest. I can't say I like it as much as my other tracks, but hey, at least it's not a remix ;).

For Courtyard Droll. Originally started as a Jade song (hence the bass and flute) but the way the tune sounded made me think of CD instead - it has a bit of a Mission Impossible vibe to it. So here's the tale of Courtyard Droll and his many attempts to get the better of Jade.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

creationist believer posted:

Aren't Scots still British?

From a few pages back, but my Music Technology professor told us on the first day: "You can call me a rapist, you can call me a pedophile, but don't you dare call me British."

e: Also he was Scottish, don't know why I didn't think that might be important to mention when I typed this up.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 12, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

...what the gently caress am I reading?

...why the gently caress can't I stop reading it?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
What, you thought Equius came from nowhere?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

:stare:

His legs are horses.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
This this page always have Derse Dreamers, or was it added much, much later? I would have thought I'd remember that song appearing here.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Plom Bar posted:

This this page always have Derse Dreamers, or was it added much, much later? I would have thought I'd remember that song appearing here.

It was added much later. Like, around the time the album came out. I can't remember if it was before or after.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

It was added much later, a week or so before the Prospit and Derse album came out, both to serve as a teaser for it, and I think to replace a removed Bolin song.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

What, you thought Equius came from nowhere?

Well he is was the Hier of Void :). But yeah, Hussie really likes making callbacks to his older works, Humanimals in particular for some reason.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

But Humanimals borders on SB&HJ levels of badweirdawesome.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well, you thought I was bluffing, but I did it. I gave up knitting and took up the trombone. Music contest here I come.

It's about Dad.

Yes, no longer will I spend weeks carefully considering color and shape, fretting over designs and trying over and over to get the yarn to go just right, spending an embarrassing amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be seen by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing can be made certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality by machines or maybe little sweatshop kids in China. No, I've moved on to spending weeks practicing, trying to remember techniques from back when I was good, recording and rerecording, spending an obscene amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be heard by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing could be created certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality with computers.

I hate everything. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Olivia42 posted:

Well, you thought I was bluffing, but I did it. I gave up knitting and took up the trombone. Music contest here I come.

It's about Dad.

Yes, no longer will I spend weeks carefully considering color and shape, fretting over designs and trying over and over to get the yarn to go just right, spending an embarrassing amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be seen by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing can be made certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality by machines or maybe little sweatshop kids in China. No, I've moved on to spending weeks practicing, trying to remember techniques from back when I was good, recording and rerecording, spending an obscene amount of effort on something that's mediocre at best that will in all likelihood never be heard by anyone but me and a couple of goons on SA, where the same thing could be created certainly more efficiently and probably of better quality with computers.

I hate everything. :smithicide:

I'm so proud of you.