Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

the posted:

Well a guy just cursed me out at the bus stop

hooray for street photography \/:(\/
Well, you can't add that in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Post from page 18 (I'm catching up)

Martytoof posted:

These are /amazing/. Can I ask you what post-treatment you gave them? The look is particularly pleasing to me, and something I've been trying to do myself.

There is a set of lightroom pre-sets called "Matt's vintage new york" that might interest you. There are two versions http://lightroomkillertips.com/2007/monday-presets-vintage-new-york-look/ and http://lightroomkillertips.com/2009/presets-vintage-new-york-look/

girl by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Street Shooting in my hometown of Chesterfield today (Hi Medusula!)

Disasters? by AceClown79, on Flickr

BACON!! by AceClown79, on Flickr

£60 and waiting by AceClown79, on Flickr

SALE! by AceClown79, on Flickr

First time in ages doing street, what you think?

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

AceClown posted:

Street Shooting in my hometown of Chesterfield today (Hi Medusula!)

erk! Another one from the most photographer-hostile town on the planet, also 79? We were in the same year at school although I lived in the valley back then.
Shot two rolls of film there yesterday and I actually got the old guy selling fruit at the end on film Sad news though, I went to the old football ground and they have covered over the huge banksy inspired full monty graffiti - god drat philistines

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah 79' netherthorpe represent!

I don't seem to get the hostility, I just end up talking to old geezers for half hour in the freezing loving cold about trains, or old film cameras and back in the day...

I must just be an old person magnet or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Every one of my day shots with my Agfa Optima came out blurry :(

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
These two seem familiar AceClown?

buskers by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

fruit stall by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

market hall by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
STREET

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
YES STREET

All aboard. by Clwn, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

nvm

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 5, 2014

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

I got asked to not take photos at a grocery store about a month ago. It was one of those new 'Market District' Giant Eagles, which if you don't know is their 'fancy' store to compete with places like Whole Foods and specialty stores.

I walked in and took two pictures of a fancy chalk board next to a nice presentation of some food. Before I could put my camera down someone was on me telling me that I can't take pictures. I said ok, slightly surprised, and my girlfriend and I continued shopping.

I had it off and on my shoulder (with only a 50mm on it), and we are walking through, we had 3 more people with walkie talkies and ear pieces like they were in the secret service come up on me and ask me if I was taking pictures. I said it was off and then asked why there was such concern, considering you see people take cell phone pictures all the time.

They said it was because they were worried about competition. Really, you are going to pull the competitive pricing/selection thing with me now? I'm pretty sure your whole competition already knows what you are doing before I see it in the store. So I guess the moral of the story is wtf.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I always got the impression that people don't want you taking pictures in a store because it could lead to some kind of negative impression on the store if you catch something bad happening with the store branding in the background. That being said, I took a few photos of interesting looking vegetables at Whole Foods a few weeks ago and no one said anything, it probably depends on how big and 'scary' your camera looks.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

It's funny that you bring up negative impression. I was going to get a picture of the produce section but everything was so wilted and old I didn't even bother wasting film on it. I regret that now. Just the other night, I was wandering around Walmart with my DSLR doing street portraits and no one really seemed to mind. My camera at the Randalls was an antique 35mm from 1970s. Not threatening at all.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 5, 2014

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
^^^Hook 'Em

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Some street photos, 35mm:

FH010008 by gronke, on Flickr

FH010007 by gronke, on Flickr

FH010006 by gronke, on Flickr

FH010004 by gronke, on Flickr

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You might want to straighten ... all of them, actually.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I went out a couple of times last spring/summer to try out some street stuff. I feel like I was on the right track with these, I just need to find subjects that are a bit more interesting, I guess.

q street woman by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

castle phone by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

hayes by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

waiting by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

q street old couple by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

smoking woman by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

box girl by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Walked around and tried street for the first time yesterday. First up there was an "Artist Jam" which means a bunch of bros spraypainting poo poo. Afterwards I walked along the beach.

DSC_0079 by DeanWill, on Flickr

DSC_0083 by DeanWill, on Flickr

DSC_0157 by DeanWill, on Flickr

DSC_0150 by DeanWill, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

I went out a couple of times last spring/summer to try out some street stuff. I feel like I was on the right track with these, I just need to find subjects that are a bit more interesting, I guess.

q street woman by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

castle phone by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

hayes by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

waiting by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

q street old couple by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

smoking woman by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

box girl by Dyfan Edwards, on Flickr

Just wanted to say I really like these, very nice styling and processing too!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I took a break from school today and went shooting for a few hours, I got something that I liked:

Dancing Soldiers by Jemuel Balangcod

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Shot some expired Portra:

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I'm not going to lie - mostly I'm just fascinated by this girl's face - but I have vague memories of firing a flash through a half-empty bottle of beer at a press "thing" last night and I like the WOAH lighting results, too, I guess? Maybe? Other than a bump in vibrance and some cropping, this is pretty much exactly as I found it on my camera this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

General Gingersnap posted:

Shot some expired Portra:

this is really visually pleasing

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
I tend to stick mostly with event, concert and portrait photography, but I was reminded yesterday on Fat Tuesday during Mardi Gras how much I love walking around and capturing chaos on the streets.

I think a big challenge with most street photography is finding something interesting to catch the eye. Well in Mardi Gras, it's kind of the opposite. There is so much crazy stuff going on in the French Quarter, it's like sensory overload. Everywhere you look there is a little story to tell. It's all about grabbing it before the moment dies.

Here are some highlights from my day:

Here's a link to the highlights and here are all the pictures that we decided to publish.

I really love my city. For street photography, there's nothing out there like it.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Back to my roots, have some street shots.

Untitled. by Clwn, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.
^^^^ Great lighting, I just wish they weren't squinting.

Mannequin posted:

I love this shot so much. Aside from demolishing that mailbox, I can't think of anything I'd like to see done differently.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/opJfi.jpg[url][/img]

Any feedback on post-processing or composition, even the small most detailed criticism, is welcome.

I ran from my apartment to chase some ambulances, hoping for an interesting story. Just some girl passed out on the street. But there was this guy, in his own little world, oblivious to everyone.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2012

mrs pooglyfoop
Feb 2, 2012
A few of my street shots.

this one could be considered street no? taken in Point Pleasant, WV in a small diner. A woman was telling us about a story in a book that was about her sister's run in with the Mothman.

he strolled by with his buddy while i was shooting a senior portrait session

Assplant
Apr 21, 2007
I'm gonna smoke your face.
Took a bunch in black & white, forgot I was shooting in RAW so just messed around with the colours when I got home.

e: sorry for the huge, thought 1/3 size would be smaller..

Assplant fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2012

mes
Apr 28, 2006

s0meb0dy0 posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/opJfi.jpg[url][/timg]

Any feedback on post-processing or composition, even the small most detailed criticism, is welcome.

I ran from my apartment to chase some ambulances, hoping for an interesting story. Just some girl passed out on the street. But there was this guy, in his own little world, oblivious to everyone.

I think the technical bits are fine, the subject is sharp, post-processing isn't jarring, exposure looks good, but overall I think the photo is boring. I don't think there is really anything compelling about the photo, you didn't really get a full shot of his face to get his entire profile nor did you really include context about the scene unfolding around him like you described it. It sounds like you put in some thought about the photo when you were shooting it which is good, but it didn't really translate into the photo itself. Did you try other angles?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Was out in the street today helping a friend get some content for a street poetry blog she writes

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mysticp posted:

This is terrific.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Mest0r posted:

I think the technical bits are fine, the subject is sharp, post-processing isn't jarring, exposure looks good, but overall I think the photo is boring. I don't think there is really anything compelling about the photo, you didn't really get a full shot of his face to get his entire profile nor did you really include context about the scene unfolding around him like you described it. It sounds like you put in some thought about the photo when you were shooting it which is good, but it didn't really translate into the photo itself. Did you try other angles?
I didn't try any other angles. You're right, I cut out the context. Thanks for the feedback!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

s0meb0dy0 posted:

I didn't try any other angles. You're right, I cut out the context. Thanks for the feedback!

The other problem (though he did kind of mention it, I guess) is that you really can't see any detail in his face. I know that isn't always the objective, but it's still kind of ... distracting.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Krakkles posted:

This is terrific.

Thanks! I was putting some new shooting techniques into practice and I got so many more keepers than I usually get when I am out and about.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

Krakkles posted:

The other problem (though he did kind of mention it, I guess) is that you really can't see any detail in his face. I know that isn't always the objective, but it's still kind of ... distracting.
Excellent point. The photo would've been much better with at least a partial view of his face. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I knew that people took photos of what's happening in the outside world like this, but never knew it was such a defined genre. I was passed down a Nikon FM10 a couple years ago and this year finally started shooting. Tear these apart?

I realize now I need to do a better job scanning.