Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

EXTREME BEGINNER BULLSHIT

I never held a "real job" before in my life, and do some independent contractor data entry stuff for a friend. He paid me $2200 in 2011 marked as Nonemployee Compensation, and mailed me a 1099 form with a Copy B, a Copy 2, and some instructions.

Being the kinda guy who I suspect pays someone to deal with his tax stuff for him, my friend wasn't a great resource on what to do next. I wrote something to the effect of "hey man what do I do with this" and his response was along the lines of "here's a Quicken article on what this form is about, you may or may not have to do something I dunno."

The instructions page explains each box on the page but it doesn't tell me what I need to do with this, if I need to do anything or how to do it.

Help?

You have to report it as self employment income. Use schedule C-EZ. If you had business expenses associated with this job they go on this form as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I have a question about a moving related deduction. I recently moved in October of 2011 from Tampa, FL to Austin, TX to look for work. I didn't have a job offer lined up, but was able to find employment in late November of 2011. After looking online, I passed the distance test, but I don't believe I passed the second test since it requires that you be employed full time in the general area of your new job location for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months after you make the move. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I wouldn't be able to make this deduction until 2012. Is this correct?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Communist Q posted:

I have a question about a moving related deduction. I recently moved in October of 2011 from Tampa, FL to Austin, TX to look for work. I didn't have a job offer lined up, but was able to find employment in late November of 2011. After looking online, I passed the distance test, but I don't believe I passed the second test since it requires that you be employed full time in the general area of your new job location for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months after you make the move. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I wouldn't be able to make this deduction until 2012. Is this correct?

You are allowed to take the deduction in 2011 if you expect to meet the test over the 12 month period after your move, but if you later don't meet it (due to job unemployment, etc.) you are technically required to amend your 2011 return to remove the deductions for moving expenses.

c0mm
Dec 11, 2003
Moist, rotten boochye
I have a question about deducting student loan interest payments that were paid using an AmeriCorps education award.

From my year term in AmeriCorps, Uncle Sam paid roughly $500 of my student loan interest and I received about $5400 to be applied towards my student loans (about $800 of which went to interest). This is fine and dandy, but I have to claim the ~$5800 on my 2011 taxes.

I received 1098s from both of my lenders, but they only include interest paid directly by me. I want to deduct all of the interest paid through my AmeriCorps money since I have to claim all of it as income anyway. The lenders say the government paid them, not me, but technically this is my money since I got a 1099 for this "income," correct?

I called my lender, and they didn't have an answer. I badly want to deduct all of the interest paid because I am getting boned on my return right now from this and I owe a bunch of money.

Will the G-men show up at my door if I deduct this interest on my taxes?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

c0mm posted:

I have a question about deducting student loan interest payments that were paid using an AmeriCorps education award.

From my year term in AmeriCorps, Uncle Sam paid roughly $500 of my student loan interest and I received about $5400 to be applied towards my student loans (about $800 of which went to interest). This is fine and dandy, but I have to claim the ~$5800 on my 2011 taxes.

I received 1098s from both of my lenders, but they only include interest paid directly by me. I want to deduct all of the interest paid through my AmeriCorps money since I have to claim all of it as income anyway. The lenders say the government paid them, not me, but technically this is my money since I got a 1099 for this "income," correct?

I called my lender, and they didn't have an answer. I badly want to deduct all of the interest paid because I am getting boned on my return right now from this and I owe a bunch of money.

Will the G-men show up at my door if I deduct this interest on my taxes?

If you received a 1099-MISC for these payments then yes you can deduct the interest.

c0mm
Dec 11, 2003
Moist, rotten boochye

furushotakeru posted:

If you received a 1099-MISC for these payments then yes you can deduct the interest.

I did and you are awesome. Thanks!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Question on tax status of educational reimbursement via work.

All the info I search for on the Web stops at 2010. Up until then everything said that if you receive reimbursement for education below $5250 it is tax free, over that and it is.

So, I was approved for $4825 that will be tax free?

If for the upcoming year my next round is over $5250 would all of it be taxable or anything ABOVE $5250?

Thanks

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

Question on tax status of educational reimbursement via work.

All the info I search for on the Web stops at 2010. Up until then everything said that if you receive reimbursement for education below $5250 it is tax free, over that and it is.

So, I was approved for $4825 that will be tax free?

If for the upcoming year my next round is over $5250 would all of it be taxable or anything ABOVE $5250?

Thanks

It has to be a part of a qualified tuition program. Meaning it's not offered only to select employees, not offered in lieu of cash compensation, there's a written policy establishing the guidelines for the reimbursement, etc.

Also remember that if you are reimbursed for tuition, you cannot claim educational credits for tuition paid with the reimbursement. And most states just recognize the tuition reimbursement as cash compensation.

If it does qualify for the exclusion, only any payments in excess of $5250 would be taxable.

I also believe the payments must be paid directly to the institution, though I'm fuzzy on that aspect.

There's a fair amount of detail regarding this. I suggest reading:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p15b/ar02.html#en_US_2012_publink1000193667

It's an employers guide, but still outlines the qualifications that need to be met.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2012

rafq
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe a bit of a weird question, any advice would be appreciated!

Last year I began working as an independent contractor doing some online tutoring. I live in Ohio, and was physically located in Ohio when I worked, but the tutoring company is based in New York. When I received my 1099-MISC, I noticed that the state was listed as NY in the section where the payer's state ID was listed. Would this income be considered earned in Ohio or NY for the purposes of state income taxes?

Thanks in advance!

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

rafq posted:

Maybe a bit of a weird question, any advice would be appreciated!

Last year I began working as an independent contractor doing some online tutoring. I live in Ohio, and was physically located in Ohio when I worked, but the tutoring company is based in New York. When I received my 1099-MISC, I noticed that the state was listed as NY in the section where the payer's state ID was listed. Would this income be considered earned in Ohio or NY for the purposes of state income taxes?

Thanks in advance!

You may not believe this, but New York will probably take the position that since you are working outside the state for the " convenience of the employer " that your income should be subject to NY income tax. You of course would not pay Ohio tax, NY is very aggressive about this. You could try to get the payroll department to change the state ID, but I bet they will not.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

seymore posted:

You may not believe this, but New York will probably take the position that since you are working outside the state for the " convenience of the employer " that your income should be subject to NY income tax. You of course would not pay Ohio tax, NY is very aggressive about this. You could try to get the payroll department to change the state ID, but I bet they will not.

That's almost as bad as CA's "market based nexus" stance. Come on Furu, get your state in gear.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hi--looked around for the answer to this, but can't appear to Google adequately.

My broker (Vanguard) does not appear to have included a stock sale I made last year on any tax document they provided to me. Were they supposed to, and, if so, on what type of form? Do I have to just figure out cost-basis and everything and report to the IRS myself?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

That's almost as bad as CA's "market based nexus" stance. Come on Furu, get your state in gear.

Never run into that one myself, thank goodness. That particular problem is above my pay grade :haw:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I'm in GA, so I qualified to use the free H&R Block program to e-file both my state and federal taxes. I got $140 back from Georgia and...owed the Feds $600. :psyduck: Maybe this is totally normal? I really don't know. This is my first real job with a living wage (I always got refunds before because I was in a very low pay grade). But I didn't know you could make $45K a year and underpay the feds by that much per month. I don't own a home yet and am single with no dependents. I do have a decent chunk in a Roth IRA (well, "decent" by my standards), so maybe that's it, but I'm still surprised by the discrepancy between state and federal. I feel like I must have made a rookie mistake using the form somehow, but I double-checked everything, and really my situation is pretty simple. So...I don't know. America :911:

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Never run into that one myself, thank goodness. That particular problem is above my pay grade :haw:

The example we got from some CA law professor in our state tax update:

Say you have a Portland car repo company that only works in the PDX area, but is contracted by a CA sourced bank.

Even if the repo guy NEVER steps foot into CA, if enough of his sales were generated by the CA bank, he'd need to file a CA income tax return for his business and pay at least the minimum $800.

Yeah, that's going to fly up here. Enforcement for the FTB should be a cinch as well.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

AbbiTheDog posted:

The example we got from some CA law professor in our state tax update:

Say you have a Portland car repo company that only works in the PDX area, but is contracted by a CA sourced bank.

Even if the repo guy NEVER steps foot into CA, if enough of his sales were generated by the CA bank, he'd need to file a CA income tax return for his business and pay at least the minimum $800.

Yeah, that's going to fly up here. Enforcement for the FTB should be a cinch as well.
How is that even legal?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

How is that even legal?

The better question would be how is that even going to be enforced?

I asked the speaker (some law professor for tax law at a business school) and her response was "Well, the tax preparers will make their clients do it to reduce their professional liability." I know my clients would throw something at me if I "forced" them to send CA $800.

That's professors for you. Common sense? Where?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

The better question would be how is that even going to be enforced?

I asked the speaker (some law professor for tax law at a business school) and her response was "Well, the tax preparers will make their clients do it to reduce their professional liability." I know my clients would throw something at me if I "forced" them to send CA $800.

That's professors for you. Common sense? Where?

Well their ability to enforce ends at their borders without cooperation from the other states, so I imagine they would levy the company's receivables from the CA bank that they are using to claim nexus.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011
I've a question for the proessional tax preparers in the thread. I'm working at a VITA site, and yesterday we had a woman come in who wanted us to amend her 2011 return (which we prepared last Friday). Apparently someone at the IRS told her she qualified for a special credit for people who receive Social Security Disability but have started working again. No one here has heard of this credit, and since she was headed to the local IRS office anyway for help amending her 2009 and 2010 returns (definitely out of our scope) we told her to have them help her with 2011 as well.

So, can anyone shed some light on this credit?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

urnisme posted:

I've a question for the proessional tax preparers in the thread. I'm working at a VITA site, and yesterday we had a woman come in who wanted us to amend her 2011 return (which we prepared last Friday). Apparently someone at the IRS told her she qualified for a special credit for people who receive Social Security Disability but have started working again. No one here has heard of this credit, and since she was headed to the local IRS office anyway for help amending her 2009 and 2010 returns (definitely out of our scope) we told her to have them help her with 2011 as well.

Never heard of it.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

onefish posted:

Hi--looked around for the answer to this, but can't appear to Google adequately.

My broker (Vanguard) does not appear to have included a stock sale I made last year on any tax document they provided to me. Were they supposed to, and, if so, on what type of form? Do I have to just figure out cost-basis and everything and report to the IRS myself?

Yes, or contact Vanguard and try to get them to correct the problem.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

urnisme posted:

This link may help ( all I found quickly ):

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204070,00.html

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Blue Scream posted:

I'm in GA, so I qualified to use the free H&R Block program to e-file both my state and federal taxes. I got $140 back from Georgia and...owed the Feds $600. :psyduck: Maybe this is totally normal? I really don't know. This is my first real job with a living wage (I always got refunds before because I was in a very low pay grade). But I didn't know you could make $45K a year and underpay the feds by that much per month. I don't own a home yet and am single with no dependents. I do have a decent chunk in a Roth IRA (well, "decent" by my standards), so maybe that's it, but I'm still surprised by the discrepancy between state and federal. I feel like I must have made a rookie mistake using the form somehow, but I double-checked everything, and really my situation is pretty simple. So...I don't know. America :911:

There really isn't necessarily a correlation between Federal and State income taxes/refunds. What you experienced is not unusual. If you want to you could talk to your payroll person/department and have them take out an additional $ 11/week to cover you for 2012 assuming your tax situation remains the same.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

It's possible she's thinking of the HIRE act, which gives the employer a $1,000 general business credit if they hire someone who's been unemployed for 60+ days. It also exempts the employer from social security tax on that employee's wages.

All that information may have become mixed up in the woman's (or IRS agent's) mind.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Well their ability to enforce ends at their borders without cooperation from the other states, so I imagine they would levy the company's receivables from the CA bank that they are using to claim nexus.

They'd need to find it first. And we Oregonians take a dark view to our southern neighbors.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

They'd need to find it first. And we Oregonians take a dark view to our southern neighbors.

If they were using work performed for a CA bank as the basis for the assessment, wouldn't it stand to reason that they would already know where the bank was? :confused:

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

seymore posted:

Yes, or contact Vanguard and try to get them to correct the problem.

Okay, thank you! Will probably contact them rather than just going it alone.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I sold all 5 of my stocks this year in DRIP's I've held for years. Is there a way that I should send this to a CPA other than the final brokerage statement? Should I type everything into an Excel spreadsheet for the cost basis calculation or is a final statement acceptable? Or will a CPA shoot me if I hand him a final brokerage statement with nothing calculated?

I'm asking around at work for a CPA as I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and quit doing my own taxes from now on.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I sold all 5 of my stocks this year in DRIP's I've held for years. Is there a way that I should send this to a CPA other than the final brokerage statement? Should I type everything into an Excel spreadsheet for the cost basis calculation or is a final statement acceptable? Or will a CPA shoot me if I hand him a final brokerage statement with nothing calculated?

The question is, do you want to get billed more or less. A CPA is always going to check your work, and he'll rely on it if it looks credible. If you make him do more legwork, he's just going to bill you more. Best thing is to give him as much information as possible.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Should I type everything into an Excel spreadsheet for the cost basis calculation

Oh God, I would kiss my clients if they did this.

If you do this, make sure to email the CPA/tax preparer the worksheet so they can double-check it as well. If you sold some of the stock prior, make sure to bring in those returns/statements so they can make sure the basis gets properly adjusted.

DRIPs are a pain in the butt.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I worked from home as an independent contractor for all of 2011 and now it seems I have to pay the piper. I didn't make very much but I owe about $1300 according to turbotax. My question is what can I do to bring that number down. I've deducted some of my expenses (rent and some utilities) and read a bit about IRAs, but I don't know what my best option is.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

I worked from home as an independent contractor for all of 2011 and now it seems I have to pay the piper. I didn't make very much but I owe about $1300 according to turbotax. My question is what can I do to bring that number down. I've deducted some of my expenses (rent and some utilities) and read a bit about IRAs, but I don't know what my best option is.

You're going to have to give way more information than that.

What work do you do? What have you deducted so far besides the rent (hope you're not deducting rent for your personal apartment) and some utilities? Who pays for your health insurance? Do you keep a log of the miles you have driven for non-commuting business purposes? What equipment do you use for your business, if any?

You may not have made very much, but remember you still owe a poo poo ton of payroll taxes on your profit, as well as normal income tax.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Admiral101 posted:

You're going to have to give way more information than that.

I worked for a company called Leapforce doing routine button-clicking online. I am deducting a proportionate about rent for the small space my "office" occupies in the house I share with my roommates and another portion for the utilities. I pay for my health insurance through the state of oregon, $9 a month, there is no driving that I could even construe as work-related, and I only use my computer to do the work.

I made $12k last year.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I have what I hope is just a dumb question. I lived in Illinois for the first 6 months of 2011, but had no income during that period. According to http://tax.illinois.gov/individuals/FilingRequirements/index.htm

quote:

A part-year resident taxpayer (i.e., you were a resident of Illinois for part but not all of the tax year), must file Form IL-1040 and Schedule NR, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Computation of Illinois Tax, if

- you earned income from any source while you were a resident,
- you earned income from Illinois sources while you were not a resident, or
- you want a refund of any Illinois Income Tax withheld.

None of those conditions apply to me. I interpret this as meaning I do not have to file with Illinois this year. Is this correct?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

quote:

I worked for a company called Leapforce doing routine button-clicking online. I am deducting a proportionate about rent for the small space my "office" occupies in the house I share with my roommates and another portion for the utilities. I pay for my health insurance through the state of oregon, $9 a month, there is no driving that I could even construe as work-related, and I only use my computer to do the work.

I made $12k last year.

I hope you're keeping a lot of documentation to show that your "office" was being exclusively used for work and not anything personal.

I suggest reading http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108138,00.html with special emphasis on the "exclusively and regularly" aspect. Same with utilities.

If your computer is used for work, you can depreciate some of the cost of your computer. You can only depreciate up the proportion you use for work. EG: you use your computer 50% of the time for business, so you can only depreciate up to 50% of your computer. Depending on the cost of your computer, this may or may not have a significant impact (if the computer only cost $1,000, and you only used it 50% for business, it'll be trivial).

Self employed health insurance premiums can be deducted from your AGI on line 29 of your 1040. This is assuming you don't have access to health insurance from any sort of 2nd job, your wife, or whatever. Also make sure a portion of the self employment tax is being deducted on line 27 (if you're using turbotax, this is probably already being done).

But yeah, $1,300 sounds about right for self employment tax on $12,000 of what's mostly profit. Do you have any other income besides that 12000?

If you continue to do that type of side work, you're going to want to start making quarterly estimated tax payments to cover your tax liability (see the OP). If you don't, you'll end up being subject to interest/penalty in future years for owing that much tax.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 12, 2012

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

I read that the regular deductions for all college tuition will be ended at 2011, is this true? Is it going to come back?

I'm not talking about the lifelong learning credit. I already have a degree but I take community courses and being able to deduct the tuition was kind of awesome.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

My wife owes a lot of unpaid and long overdue federal student loans. I understand that at some point they may garnish our tax return. My question is, will we get any notice that this going to happen, or will it be a surprise?

Edit: I think I found my answer:

http://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/questions_top_pub.html posted:

How does a debtor know that he/she is in the Treasury Offset Program delinquent debtor database?
Before a creditor agency refers a debt to the Treasury Offset Program, it will have provided the debtor with all due process notices concerning the debt. These notices include: written notification of the nature and amount of the debt, the intention of the agency to collect the debt through administrative offset, and an explanation of the debtor's rights (inspection, copying, review and repayment opportunities). The creditor agency has therefore informed the delinquent debtor of the potential referral of the debt to the Treasury Offset Program. Once in the Treasury Offset Program, the debtor will be informed by Treasury when an offset is taken.

There may be other notices published or mailed to debtors if Treasury determines they are needed, but none are required by law except those stated above.

A person is also entitled at any time to inquire in writing whether he/she is in the delinquent debtor database maintained by Treasury and he/she will be answered in writing by Treasury.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 12, 2012

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

seymore posted:

This link may help ( all I found quickly ):

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=204070,00.html

Thanks. Looking at that I'm thinking she was confused about the requirements for the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled (Pub 524).

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

timn posted:

I have what I hope is just a dumb question. I lived in Illinois for the first 6 months of 2011, but had no income during that period. According to http://tax.illinois.gov/individuals/FilingRequirements/index.htm

None of those conditions apply to me. I interpret this as meaning I do not have to file with Illinois this year. Is this correct?

I would say you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Merou posted:

I read that the regular deductions for all college tuition will be ended at 2011, is this true? Is it going to come back?

I'm not talking about the lifelong learning credit. I already have a degree but I take community courses and being able to deduct the tuition was kind of awesome.

The deduction for college expenses is one of the things that is constantly under threat of expiration along with stuff like the $250 deduction for teachers who spend money on their classrooms, etc, that usually end up being extended for a few more years. That said, you can never truly predict whether something will pass or not, especially in an election year.