Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pfiffer
Feb 11, 2008

Dren posted:

Chris's team had simple tools that totally blew Dieminion up.

He didn't even use all his tools, which makes it even more absurd. The reflector gong thing is great as an anti-projectile, and the jump-cancellable anti-air as well (forward H, I forget whats its actually called). Rush-down Hsien-Ko is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!
Cool dudes, ytwojay and wentinel, just dropped episode 2 of their Don't Hold Back podcast. High level dormammu chat and more! http://dontholdback.tv/

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Question for other Strider players:

What normals do you use to follow up an OTG Formation B? I see people doing what looks like s.M f+H S then air combo but I cannot get more than the s.M to hit and after that they flip out of hitstun.

What am I doing wrong?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So I've been trying to get Doom to work for me but I just cannot seem to get him to click for me. I always seem to choke on his combos at the weirdest moments and he just in general feels really awkward to me. I need to replace him on my team because he is at this point just a meatbag to soak hits and get meter between point and anchor.

SO: Who the hell am I supposed to run as an assist with Chris on point? I hear Spencer is pretty solid, so might try that, but I haven't been keeping up with The Streamz and was wondering if someone had some insight as to clever ideas here.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I'm not a Chris expert, but if you're looking to cover horizontal space you could try Sentinel or Magneto.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-w5lFJ1KLk

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
As simple and trollish as that is, it actually looks really frustrating to deal with.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Thankfully a lot of characters have downwards diagonal projectiles, but I'd hate to have to deal with that as She-Hulk or something.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I was doing that in vanilla, the secret is usually the afformentioned diagonal projectiles or superjumping.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I don't want to sound like I'm doubting Prone Position's utility, but drat, that Nova/Deadpool/Spider-Man guy looked like a yokel.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Did you notice the opposing player's ranking? Beginner. I'd believe it more if it happened vs a higher rank and not someone who'd just started. And your 'Troll vs Troll' vids don't count.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

This guy literally never blocked and it took him til his third character to even try to jump. You could have achieved the same effect by spamming A the entire match.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
My team right now is Iron Man(Repulsar Blast)/Deadpool(Quick Work) and Sentinel (Drones).

IM can do a lot with the drones behind him, and it lets him score hit confirms off repulsar blast into full combos. Quick Work gives access to a real mixup for Iron Man in the form of box jump S + Quick Work, and also acts as a combo extender in the corner (M Smart Bombs + Quick Work, H Repulsar xx Spread xxx Super). Someone on the Iron Man forums gave me a variant of his bnb using both these assists to extend the combo: drones in the middle so when you land they juggle the opponent and you can get an H Repulsar Blast, then you cancel into Spread, do Quick Work + M Smart Bombs which pops the opponent back up and lets you do another H Repulsar Blast xx Spread into Proton Cannon or Iron Avenger (you can't do another smart bombs). This combo does 860k with Proton Cannon, I imagine it breaks a million easily off Iron Avenger. Its tricky though, I've only been able to do it once in training mode.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, here's some cool combos with Strange using Doom's Hidden Missiles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dv9IclFMQ

1kk damage in the corner starting with 0.3 bar, not bad. Still a crappy character - that comes from the dude that made the video.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate America posted:

Question for other Strider players:

What normals do you use to follow up an OTG Formation B? I see people doing what looks like s.M f+H S then air combo but I cannot get more than the s.M to hit and after that they flip out of hitstun.

What am I doing wrong?

Depends on what you're doing before it? I only use that otg after throws, and I do ground/air throw, summon + toss formation, wall cling, LMH xx Gram H, Gram L, animals or xx Gram H, ragnarok.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I've been running Haggar (lariat)/Hawkeye (tri arrow)/Dr. D (missiles) but something about it just isn't jiving; I feel like I need to mix it up and I wouldn't be adverse to throwing Wolverine or Sentinel in there somewhere. I like Haggar a lot but playing him can be pretty frustrating and at least some of that seems to stem from not really getting any mileage out of my current assists, would a slow horizontal assist like rocks or drones make Haggar's life easier? There are a lot of potential synergies between these 5 characters, what composition would y'all suggest?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I've been running Haggar (lariat)/Hawkeye (tri arrow)/Dr. D (missiles) but something about it just isn't jiving; I feel like I need to mix it up and I wouldn't be adverse to throwing Wolverine or Sentinel in there somewhere. I like Haggar a lot but playing him can be pretty frustrating and at least some of that seems to stem from not really getting any mileage out of my current assists, would a slow horizontal assist like rocks or drones make Haggar's life easier? There are a lot of potential synergies between these 5 characters, what composition would y'all suggest?

Triple Shot is a pretty Mediocre Assist all around actually, if you want something for getting Haggar in then yeah Beam or Rocks is the way to go.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Brosnan posted:

Depends on what you're doing before it? I only use that otg after throws, and I do ground/air throw, summon + toss formation, wall cling, LMH xx Gram H, Gram L, animals or xx Gram H, ragnarok.

Standard magic series. LMH f+H S j.MMHS stock throw ???

Is there too much hitstun at that point?

Strider's my anchor so I never have any kind of assist to help him out and I'm trying to work on long combos with OTGs, resets, and solo setups. So far the only thing I have down pat is the thing Clockw0rk did at Barfights where after a combo/knockdown he stocked a Form B then threw it from almost full screen and then teleported behind with S for a crossup that's really hard to block if timed right.

Other than that I'm kind of stuck. If I can't combo/OTG/Ragnarok or XF3 Orbs runs out without killing someone I have a hard time.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV0Qgnh3yNQ

crazy anti-Phoenix tech!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

It's hilarious that Rashaan fell right for that after Frank didn't capitalize off the first kneedrop. I'm guessing it's a corner specific thing, which is why Spidermankid was backing himself into the corner after that hit.

Also, the guy who OCVed EMP is apparently Predator1a, who used to (and maybe still does?) play online. He's been running his team since Vanilla and boy howdy will I tell you that his team is really loving annoying online. (and apparently offline!)

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

crazy anti-Phoenix tech!

all these matches are rad

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

crazy anti-Phoenix tech!

Holy poo poo, watch the Winrich matches starting at 23ish. 13 year old kid just goes to town with 90 hit Vergil combos

LeithCentral
Mar 1, 2005

As far as I can run, brother.
Chuck destroying EMP and Sanford Kelly with the mayor holy poo poo

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Chocolate America posted:

Standard magic series. LMH f+H S j.MMHS stock throw ???

Is there too much hitstun [deterioration] at that point?

Yeah, they'll tech out by that point every time. Maybe not in XF3, but Strider has way better loops there anyways.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Rollie the Guar posted:

Yeah, they'll tech out by that point every time. Maybe not in XF3, but Strider has way better loops there anyways.

Well poo poo. I guess I'll head over to the SRK forums and see if I can find good info on better combos and resets for him. I know he's not a high damage character but his mixup/crossup/reset potential is massive and I need to find some better tech than what I have now.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
What are hawkeye's options when coming in after a KO or snap? Will gimlets get me anywhere or do I just have to block and cross my fingers?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Gimlet is punishable on hit, block and whiff and can be easily avoided and punished by raw tagging, sooooo don't do it outside of a combo unless you can kill someone with it!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Hawkeye can't really do anything when coming in. Gimlet has no invincibility anyway so you'll get hit out of it if your opponent is doing a setup of basically any sort.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you can go for the age old mash H and forward

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Block if they've got a setup.

If their setup doesn't have any kind of meaty, gimlet and XF to escape/mixup.

If they meaty you without any mixup or you block their meaty and they're close XF grab them.

Hawkeye's close range options are still pretty awful against all the good characters.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fereydun posted:

It's hilarious that Rashaan fell right for that after Frank didn't capitalize off the first kneedrop. I'm guessing it's a corner specific thing, which is why Spidermankid was backing himself into the corner after that hit.

Also, the guy who OCVed EMP is apparently Predator1a, who used to (and maybe still does?) play online. He's been running his team since Vanilla and boy howdy will I tell you that his team is really loving annoying online. (and apparently offline!)

Everyone playing Chuck needs to learn that Brian Kasugano anti-pipe tech of dash under launcher. It's my favorite anti-pipe tech since it's straight disrespect.

That Chris G v Moons match was a little crazy. He played the Chun-li/Hsien-ko/X-23 team that he played against Dieminion and gave up 3 games (of the best of 7 set) before switching to a Tron on point team, losing, then switching to Mags/Wolvie/Wesker and taking two games. Did he do any interviews and say what he was thinking?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dren posted:

Everyone playing Chuck needs to learn that Brian Kasugano anti-pipe tech of dash under launcher. It's my favorite anti-pipe tech since it's straight disrespect.

That Chris G v Moons match was a little crazy. He played the Chun-li/Hsien-ko/X-23 team that he played against Dieminion and gave up 3 games (of the best of 7 set) before switching to a Tron on point team, losing, then switching to Mags/Wolvie/Wesker and taking two games. Did he do any interviews and say what he was thinking?

Not everyone can do that though, Pipe crosses up pretty hard and I think Chun can get away with it because she has a tiny hurtbox while dashing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Not everyone can do that though, Pipe crosses up pretty hard and I think Chun can get away with it because she has a tiny hurtbox while dashing.

It would be interesting to figure out who can't. I'm pretty sure Akuma can do it. I'd bet that Wesker can too.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I just picked this game up last week and I have a question... what do you look for when putting together a team? I see how the different characters and their assists can compliment each other, but I don't know what to look for. Wolverine/X23/Ghost Rider and Sentinel/Doom seem to be a good pairing (still trying to narrow down which of those players I prefer), but the third slot is a revolving door at the moment.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Many teams are built like this (in this order):

1. Point character. A character who is good without a lot of meter (some characters, like Haggar, are "batteries" built for building meter) but is better with assists.

2. Assist character. Pretty self-explanatory, it's a character used for a strong assist. A good example is Ammy's Cold Star.

3. Anchor. A character who can do well without assists, though sometimes they need a lot of meter to be good (Strider, Phoenix).

For example, Sentinel/Doom would be good as an assist character (drones) and an anchor (Plasma Beam), and would help a point character without a lot of zoning tools, like Haggar, get in.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I just picked this game up last week and I have a question... what do you look for when putting together a team? I see how the different characters and their assists can compliment each other, but I don't know what to look for. Wolverine/X23/Ghost Rider and Sentinel/Doom seem to be a good pairing (still trying to narrow down which of those players I prefer), but the third slot is a revolving door at the moment.
A general overview of criteria I usually look for when picking teammates:

- Tactical assist synergy - can the assist help a character assert control, defend themselves or set up advantageous situation? e.g. Sentinel's Drones, Frank's Shopping Cart and Haggar's lariat.
- Combo assist synergy - can the assist help extend a combo? e.g. Wesker's low gunshot, Spencer's grapple, Doom's missiles.
- DHC ability - can characters easily combo between each other when using hyper combos, or at least use them to get out of the fight without being punished?

Generally speaking, you want to build your team in such a way that your leading character is complemented by the second and third characters, and that whoever is in the 3rd slot can carry themselves alone. There are obviously deviations from this rule, but most teams operate on this principle.

Order is important, because some characters can be very strong with assist backup (Wolverine, Haggar, Firebrand) but will flounder if left in the third slot without support. On the other hand, some characters with very strong assists can also survive without help from other characters, so naturally they become the 'anchor' of the team (Wesker, Strider, Doom). The middle character is usually the least significant choice from a tactical perspective, but obviously you still need to think carefully, but the second character will be the one who your point can DHC into and who will still be able to get help from your anchor.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Hey folks. This is my current team:

Nova(overhead assist)/Captain America(Shield Slash)/Morrigan(Dark Harmonizer)

My main game plan revolves around using Cap's shield slash as a slow moving projectile to keep the opposing character in place while I airdash in with Nova to try and get a j.H to get a combo started, apart from this, while Cap and Nova have some good synergy, I was wondering if maybe running Captain America on point would be a better winning proposition. Can Captain America extend combos using any of Nova or Morrigan's assists or vice versa?

Also, what's a good way to combo into Captain America's level 3?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Cap benefits greatly from wall bounce and ground bounce moves, as it makes his combos easier. Call an assist just as you land from an air S, OTG with shield slash L, and then continue your combo once your assist bounces your opponent.

Cap's also a great point character as long as you have some sort of projectile/beam assist. You can make ambiguous crossups using his cartwheel that way. That's also good because Cap's midscreen BnB is actually more damaging and builds more meter than his corner combos, at least without assists.

I'm pretty sure you can combo into level 3 off of OTG shield slash L as well, much like hyper charging star, but don't quote me on that.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. This is my current team:

Nova(overhead assist)/Captain America(Shield Slash)/Morrigan(Dark Harmonizer)

My main game plan revolves around using Cap's shield slash as a slow moving projectile to keep the opposing character in place while I airdash in with Nova to try and get a j.H to get a combo started, apart from this, while Cap and Nova have some good synergy, I was wondering if maybe running Captain America on point would be a better winning proposition. Can Captain America extend combos using any of Nova or Morrigan's assists or vice versa?

Also, what's a good way to combo into Captain America's level 3?

Assuming you have Nova still alive just tag his ground bounce onto the end of your combo after otg shield slash instead of Charging Star and they will fall right into it.

I run Cap/Sent/Nova and use his wall bounce assist for just the situation, though it's only something I really do to disrespect people because his level 3 does about the same damage as Charging Star then DHC.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Dren posted:

He was sandbagging and stuck with it for whatever reason, I think he wanted to see if he could take 5 in a row on a "real" team. Which is way more of a dick move than using that off-team he was winning with at the end but whatever, his life.

• Locked thread