Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sharks Below posted:

Oh cool. I currently work for Legal Aid in QLD so I am seeing at least the meaningful side of it. The solicitors I work with at the moment are pretty inspiring in terms of being decent people with meaningful jobs :shobon:

Is the legal profession really that hard up for positions in the US? Isn't litigation alive and well over there?

E: God that was obnoxious. I'm sorry. I genuinely didn't realise there were job shortages.

Tell me more; I'm a licensed attorney in the US with a meaningful job, but I also have Australian citizenship and might jump ship in the next few years. I'm looking at Victoria, though, rather than Queensland.

As far as I can tell, I need to fill out some forms and submit my academic and professional experience, whereupon they'll send me a list of things to do in order to join the legal profession in Victoria. Once I'm in, I can apply to the Crown Prosecution Service. Really, though, I'd be happy to work for the Crown in any legal capacity, but I have no idea how difficult it is to get such jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Agesilaus posted:

Tell me more; I'm a licensed attorney in the US with a meaningful job, but I also have Australian citizenship and might jump ship in the next few years. I'm looking at Victoria, though, rather than Queensland.

As far as I can tell, I need to fill out some forms and submit my academic and professional experience, whereupon they'll send me a list of things to do in order to join the legal profession in Victoria. Once I'm in, I can apply to the Crown Prosecution Service. Really, though, I'd be happy to work for the Crown in any legal capacity, but I have no idea how difficult it is to get such jobs.

Australia doesn't want you any more than we do, grumbles

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

Australia doesn't want you any more than we do, grumbles

huh, that's weird, considering you yanks were only too eager to have me attend school and work here

edit: also interested in hearing from anyone with experience trying to transfer a legal license from the US to England, and how hard it is to get a job there with the Crown Prosecution Service. They seemed pretty eager to generate interest in their office when I last spoke to them, but I have no idea how many openings they have.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2012

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Agesilaus posted:

huh, that's weird, considering you yanks were only too eager to have me attend school and work here

believe me grumblefish if this had been presented to me personally by means of referendum i would have written in an "execute immediately" option

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Feces Starship posted:

believe me grumblefish if this had been presented to me personally by means of referendum i would have written in an "execute immediately" option

well thankfully america isn't all that democratic.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Agesilaus posted:

edit: also interested in hearing from anyone with experience trying to transfer a legal license from the US to England, and how hard it is to get a job there with the Crown Prosecution Service. They seemed pretty eager to generate interest in their office when I last spoke to them, but I have no idea how many openings they have.

I live like three miles north of you so don't move until I've had your lovely mother-in-law's homemade Chinese food please.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MoFauxHawk posted:

I live like three miles north of you so don't move until I've had your lovely mother-in-law's homemade Chinese food please.

Do you go to Chinatown? There's a tonne of good, inexpensive restaurants there; I usually go there for dinner a few times a week.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Agesilaus posted:

Do you go to Chinatown? There's a tonne of good, inexpensive restaurants there; I usually go there for dinner a few times a week.

I do get Chinatown food. We're still going to hang out though.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Next time you're going to Chinatown just send me a message or something, I live nearby. This weekend/week is pretty terrible as I have a lot of work to do, though.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Has the LSAT changed much since 2007? I just took the free one on the LSAC website cold under timed conditions and was wondering how well it matched up to the present day.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WaveLength posted:

Has the LSAT changed much since 2007? I just took the free one on the LSAC website cold under timed conditions and was wondering how well it matched up to the present day.

Not really. What was your initial score? Since you didn't tell us, I assume low. Sorry :(

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

Not really. What was your initial score? Since you didn't tell us, I assume low. Sorry :(

I disagree with your assessment of his post. If that were the case, he would have just written it off to begin with without asking us. He probably did well, and he is now looking for confirmation that he is some sort of LSAT god.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

HiddenReplaced posted:

I disagree with your assessment of his post. If that were the case, he would have just written it off to begin with without asking us. He probably did well, and he is now looking for confirmation that he is some sort of LSAT god.

Haha, 168 but didn't think it was overly relevant to the question. I wouldn't say "looking for confirmation," but rather looking to get shot down. I need as few reasons to go as possible! This is the lawyer/law school megathread is it not?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WaveLength posted:

Haha, 168 but didn't think it was overly relevant to the question.

That's pretty good news: where were most of your missed questions? Logic games is the easiest to improve.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I made 4 mistakes each in Sections 1 and 2, which correspond to logic games and logical reasoning. Then 1 mistake each in 3 and 4.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WaveLength posted:

I made 4 mistakes each in Sections 1 and 2, which correspond to logic games and logical reasoning. Then 1 mistake each in 3 and 4.

Yeah, with some practice on logic games you might be able to get one of the scores on the LSAT that place you into the schools where going is iffy instead of the "don't even think about it" range.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
170s or bust.

168 was an ok, but not great score when I went to law school (I think i had a 168), but things have gotten much more competitive. I'm not sure I could get into Minnesota anymore, much less get a scholarship and that's not even T14.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, with some practice on logic games you might be able to get one of the scores on the LSAT that place you into the schools where going is iffy instead of the "don't even think about it" range.

I'm Canadian so all of our schools are elite! :canada:

(E: but still iffy)

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 13, 2012

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

This depends on your undergrad GPA, though.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

nm posted:

170s or bust.

168 was an ok, but not great score when I went to law school (I think i had a 168), but things have gotten much more competitive. I'm not sure I could get into Minnesota anymore, much less get a scholarship and that's not even T14.

I think USNWR changed the rankings to make GPA matter more. The last incoming class at Emory has a ridiculous 25-75 LSAT range and much higher and more compact GPA than the 2013 class, which had a fairly wide spread on GPA, but the LSAT 25/75 was like 165/167. It may make it harder for lazy people who are good at standardized tests to get into good law schools.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

entris posted:

I don't actually know anything about the Australian legal market - I was just painting a picture of a utopia for lawyers where the women are plentiful and have hot accents and we all have jobs and life is just so grand. This is the Australia that I want to believe in.

(you didn't come across as obnoxious)
I'm a lady. You should hear me say "your honour" (yerronahh!). Hot.

Agesilaus posted:

As far as I know that's basically it. Ew, Victoria :colbert: It's cool, more Great Barrier Reef for me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

I think USNWR changed the rankings to make GPA matter more. The last incoming class at Emory has a ridiculous 25-75 LSAT range and much higher and more compact GPA than the 2013 class, which had a fairly wide spread on GPA, but the LSAT 25/75 was like 165/167. It may make it harder for lazy people who are good at standardized tests to get into good law schools.
Or people whose schools/majors don't grade inflate.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2013

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Just found out that the job I thought I had lined up after graduation might not actually be added.

Welp, back to mass-mailing resumes and cover-letters and hoping that I get a 1/50 response rate.

I can only imagine how bad it would be if I weren't at a top 30 school, and in the cum laude range.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Omerta posted:

The spread is irrelevant though. The median is what matters for USNWR rankings. Unless they actually changed that without my knowing.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

WaveLength posted:

I'm Canadian so all of our schools are elite! :canada:

(E: but still iffy)

Depends on your GPA but 168 is a good score for any school you want here.

Fitocracychat: we getting a new challenge going any time soon?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Depends on your GPA but 168 is a good score for any school you want here.

Fitocracychat: we getting a new challenge going any time soon?

I'm shooting for U of Torture - if I can't get in there or Osgoode I doubt I go to lawschool at all. Even if I do get in to both/either I'll have to think long and hard. I'd need basically a 4.0 next year to get to their 3.9 median, since I'm at like 3.78 right now (My school's grading system is identical to the OLSAS system). Is school reputation a thing that matters in the slightest? I've heard my school notorious for grade deflation, but don't know how true that is.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

WaveLength posted:

I'm shooting for U of Torture - if I can't get in there or Osgoode I doubt I go to lawschool at all. Even if I do get in to both/either I'll have to think long and hard. I'd need basically a 4.0 next year to get to their 3.9 median, since I'm at like 3.78 right now (My school's grading system is identical to the OLSAS system). Is school reputation a thing that matters in the slightest? I've heard my school notorious for grade deflation, but don't know how true that is.

I'm pretty sure your undergrad school doesn't matter at all. As far as hoping for Osgoode or UoT - reconsider that. I think job/articling numbers are about the same for all of the Ontario schools. You might have a slightly better chance for Bay St. at the big two, but if you look at where the current students are from on the major firms' sites, there's a good spread of everything.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
So you're saying that going to law school can be a good idea? Am I in the right thread? Haha

You do raise a good point though. I think what I said stems from wanting to always be with the "best and brightest" to see how I stack up, though the end result may not be all that different.

E: As an aside, what's the general opinion on combined MA/JD programs, particularly for Economics?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Welp, just did a practice BarBri MBE section (contracts) and got 14/36 with less than 3 weeks til the MBE. Note that this is a few days after I read the entire contracts section of the "big" BarBri book. Reread that poo poo? Study Contracts more? Kill myself?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Unamuno posted:

Welp, just did a practice BarBri MBE section (contracts) and got 14/36 with less than 3 weeks til the MBE. Note that this is a few days after I read the entire contracts section of the "big" BarBri book. Reread that poo poo? Study Contracts more? Kill myself?

Log onto the Barbri website. There's an MBE mini-review. It's awesome. It hits all the major themes.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

WaveLength posted:

So you're saying that going to law school can be a good idea? Am I in the right thread? Haha

You do raise a good point though. I think what I said stems from wanting to always be with the "best and brightest" to see how I stack up, though the end result may not be all that different.

E: As an aside, what's the general opinion on combined MA/JD programs, particularly for Economics?

Law school in Canada isn't a bad idea but it's not necessarily great. Just remember that you're also competing with the "best and the brightest" for the same positions. Given that 12% of Ontario grads don't have an articling position, that might not be such a great mentality. If I went to school in Ontario, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have an articling position right now (yee-haw for Alberta).

Also, given the fact that it's Canada and let's say you actually do well, it's better to be top of your class at a "middle ranking" (in quotation marks because no one actually cares about ranking) school than top 25% at U of T.

And MA/JD just sounds like a waste of time, especially a MA in economics.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

CaptainScraps posted:

Log onto the Barbri website. There's an MBE mini-review. It's awesome. It hits all the major themes.

I aint an actual barbri subscriber, i just bought old books off ebay. How do i go about getting those goon made flashcards off dropbox?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

WaveLength posted:

Haha, 168 but didn't think it was overly relevant to the question. I wouldn't say "looking for confirmation," but rather looking to get shot down. I need as few reasons to go as possible! This is the lawyer/law school megathread is it not?

168 is a really good score for someone taking it cold.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Holland Oats posted:

168 is a really good score for someone taking it cold.

Keep in mind that students tend to score something like 5-7 points higher on self-administered practice exams. I am certainly encouraged by his score but I want to see a score from a timed,proctored practice exam. Not hard to find someone to proctor, usually.

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...
Here's my situation, tell me if you think I should go to law school or not.

1. I've always wanted to be a lawyer, and I have a sophist's interest in learning the law for it's own sake.

2.I have recently been admitted into a T20 law school Wash University (WUSTL) with a full ride, tuition and cost of living. Essentially allowing me to get my J.D. with 0 debt, minus books and fees etc...

3.I have 0 interest in big-law, nor the hyper-soul crushingly stressful lifestyle that is involved with trying to get on the law review, securing internships at big-law firms and then being an associate for these firms upon graduation and working 16 hours a day.

4. I want to go to law school and spend about 40 hours a week on class and study combined, so I can still have a social life. (Granted more during finals cramming time)

5. My end goal is to practice small law in Wisconsin if I can get a full time job there and if not teach high school or something and have a private practice on the side in a small community.

What do you think, should I go to law school? (I'm going anyways, just interested what you all think).

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Xvimic posted:

(I'm going anyways, just interested what you all think).

lol. The full ride is nice, and makes the decision a lot easier. The schedule of a student is awesome compared to the working world.

I would still be somewhat competitive and try to get good grades and get on law review. That will open a lot of doors if you decide in a year or two that you might want to do something besides small law. In fact, it will open a lot of doors anywhere.

Are you trying to get a comparable scholarship to Wisconsin? It would make more sense to go there if you are 100% dead set on living and working in the state. (plus don't you get a free pass from taking the WI bar if you graduate from there?)

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

Tetrix posted:

Are you trying to get a comparable scholarship to Wisconsin? It would make more sense to go there if you are 100% dead set on living and working in the state. (plus don't you get a free pass from taking the WI bar if you graduate from there?)

Yeah, you don't have to take the bar which would be really nice, but oddly Wisconsin even though they are not ranked as well as WUSTL, offered me jack. I mean they let me in, but no scholly. :colbert:

I guess I could try and negotiate but it seems kinda crazy to try and go from no $$ to a full ride.

Don't get me wrong I'm gonna take law school seriously, it's not like I'm gonna blow it off, not read/outline and show up drunk for exams or anything. I just really don't intend on being a gunner. I'll study and make sure I know the material and try to get a read on my professors etc.. I just don't want to drive myself completely insane. Assuming I feel like I have a good grasp of the readings and material and I'm not falling behind I would like to try and keep studying to about 3 or 4 hours a day during non-finals periods. Law review would be nice and everything but I can't help feeling that there will just be too many dudes at the school who are just as smart as me and who will want it so much more because they need that high paying job to pay off debt/live their dream conquering the world as a big-law attorney.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Do you not want to go to Wisconsin? I thought if you graduated from Wisconsin you are waived in to the bar up there.

I usually say if you can go totally debt free, it's an ok idea, unless you are in a great job right now and would be passing up 3 years of that salary for a lovely career in law.

Getting a job in small law, not sure what you mean by that.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you not want to go to Wisconsin? I thought if you graduated from Wisconsin you are waived in to the bar up there.

I usually say if you can go totally debt free, it's an ok idea, unless you are in a great job right now and would be passing up 3 years of that salary for a lovely career in law.

Getting a job in small law, not sure what you mean by that.

efb

Nah I'm fresh out of undergrad with a major in hist/political science so no real good job prospects there.

By small law I just mean, trying to find something at a firm or with the government for like 30-60k a year and if unable to do that then getting my teaching degree while I continued to job hunt and eventually opening up a private practice on the side as I taught high school. This way I could actually survive and at the same time practice law in some capacity with out worrying about needing it to sustain me.

The J.D. would count as a PhD equivalent for getting hired as a teacher which might boost starting salary too. (Although at the same time it might make it harder to initially land a job depending how well the education department in Wisc is funded..)