Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wait how was Jah in the wrong in that argument? Having children isn't a miracle. They were both pretty fired up about it and took it to a level it probably shouldn't have but how was he wrong? Maybe it's because I don't want to have kids(much to the girlfriends chagrin) but I don't see the problem, especially with adoption.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm a child of divorce, and I've never felt more horrible than when I heard them argue about adoption.

I was happy to learn it was just because they were breathing poison.

This just brought it all back for me and I exploded in laughter imagining them getting all crazy cuz they were hopped up on CO

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mcvey posted:

Wait how was Jah in the wrong in that argument? Having children isn't a miracle. They were both pretty fired up about it and took it to a level it probably shouldn't have but how was he wrong? Maybe it's because I don't want to have kids(much to the girlfriends chagrin) but I don't see the problem, especially with adoption.
Uh oh, what have I done, now we're going to have the Great UYD Civil War. :v: I declare myself a Romatellite! :argh:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
They were arguing about stuff that's pretty fundamental to a person's values system. IMO it's misguided to say one is right and the other is wrong, just that you agree with one more than the other. Arguing to change someone's values is futile, especially when you can be laughing about dumb rastafarian poetry instead.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I think the problem is that the poison gas they were breathing somehow induced Seth to say "The thing is, you think dogs count as children" before the argument and Jah was about to murder him.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Yeah, that seems like a great way to make him angry. I forgot that Seth said that.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Didn't Jonathan's father basically adopt his half-sister when he married Jonathan's mother? Raise her, have her use his last name, etc? I remember this being pointed out earlier in the thread when talking about this argument, it would make Jonathan's point of view a lot clearer.

let i hug fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 12, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Which ep is this?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I still haven't checked out You Look Nice Today. Do you think it's something that might appeal to UYD listeners in general?

I've been listening to UYD for about 5 years now, and have been listening to podcasts that long. The only two "2 Guys Talking" podcast I've heard that matches in comedy factor and banter/chemistry with each other are You Look Nice Today (despite 3 people and that they never release episodes) and The Complete Guide To Everything (which, lately I've been liking more then UYD).

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Clothed N Famous posted:

Didn't Jonathan's father basically adopt his half-sister when he married Jonathan's mother? Raise her, have her use his last name, etc? I remember this being pointed out earlier in the thread when talking about this argument, it would make Jonathan's point of view a lot clearer.

Yeah I think I may have pointed that out. That fact is probably really what made Jonathan get so pissed off when Seth made the dogs comment, not just because he hears it all the time and its condescending, but also because yeah his sister is essentially adopted by his father and for Seth to insinuate that somehow she is less loved than Jonathan or their brother is by Big John was probably personally infuriating.

So yeah Seth was completely 100% in the wrong in that argument. I'm a gay UYD listener and to hear him talk about adopting kids like its somehow worth less pissed me off too. The idea that I may some day adopt a child and yet it's not on the same level as some dump poo poo 19 year old breaking a condom in his 16 year old girlfriend just really put me off.

But yeah all that was literally induced by toxic gas so I'll let it slide.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
It wasn't that it is worthless, it was that it's not the same as having your OWN kid. Which I sided with Seth on, but the argument was stupid. Adopting a kid is an amazing thing to do, but it's not like having your own.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Which ep is this?

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

It wasn't that it is worthless, it was that it's not the same as having your OWN kid. Which I sided with Seth on, but the argument was stupid. Adopting a kid is an amazing thing to do, but it's not like having your own.

EDIT: NVM My bad guess I'm the rear end in a top hat

SullivanPRIME fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 12, 2012

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

SullivanPRIME posted:

Have you adopted a kid?

Shut up and stop trying to start a stupid argument about adoption in the UYD thread.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I still haven't checked out You Look Nice Today. Do you think it's something that might appeal to UYD listeners in general?

It's a jokier show without UYD's topicality but it has a lot of funny moments. The three hosts don't have personalities nearly as distinct or engaging as Seth and Jah, but they're all quick-witted and have good, natural repartee with one another. There's also a surprising number of weird "man I was messed up when I was young" stories as well.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I love the fact that these guys live in LA and thus encounter celebrities in hilarious ways. It doesn't hurt that Papa Larroquette is in the mix. You guys remember that story that Jah told about chasing a dog all over a neighborhood on his bike and finally rescueing it, only to have Lou Farrigno pull up to him in a huge truck to say "Hey (thumbs up) GOOD JOB"

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I love the fact that these guys live in LA and thus encounter celebrities in hilarious ways. It doesn't hurt that Papa Larroquette is in the mix. You guys remember that story that Jah told about chasing a dog all over a neighborhood on his bike and finally rescueing it, only to have Lou Farrigno pull up to him in a huge truck to say "Hey (thumbs up) GOOD JOB"

That was the best story. It was like 20 minutes long.

Hope Seth brings back his stories of who he sees holding hands while out at whole foods or whatever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You guys remember that story that Jah told about chasing a dog all over a neighborhood on his bike and finally rescueing it, only to have Lou Farrigno pull up to him in a huge truck to say "Hey (thumbs up) GOOD JOB"

Yes, and it was incredible. My favorite celeb story is still Jonathan seeing Snoop Dogg leaving The Great Western Forum in the mid '90s.

"Yeah, yeah. Odelay 'n poo poo."

Biodome posted:

Hope Seth brings back his stories of who he sees holding hands while out at whole foods or whatever.

I'd like to thank Seth for bringing "laughing and slapping" to my vocabulary. At first I just thought of it as a funny euphemism for "homosexual," but that is about the perfect summation of any playful flirtation between any two people of any sexual orientation.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 13, 2012

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I'd like to thank Seth for bringing "laughing and slapping" to my vocabulary.

Yup, it's perfect. Anytime I see anyone flirting or even two dudes broing out, I call it "laughing and slapping."

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I still laugh thinking about Seth describing the primal terror he experienced looking over his shoulder at Whole Foods and seeing Michael C. Hall.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Power of Pecota posted:

I still laugh thinking about Seth describing the primal terror he experienced looking over his shoulder at Whole Foods and seeing Michael C. Hall.

No, no no no. He didn't see Michael C. Hall. He saw Dexter.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
If you ever want to hear downright talkin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsUnxM6xvo

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I called the voice mail and told them about my impending wedding; told them I love the show. Seth called me back last night and left me a voicemail. Sounded really out of it, but he was pretty funny, saying the rest of my year is sure to be psychotic, and he said the phrase "Super Duper" about six times.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

So I assume you guys who are receiving calls back from the voicemail are leaving your numbers in your message? I've called before but it's usually just to say "Great show" or something and I didn't leave any personal information

Binowru fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 14, 2012

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I left my number.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
"I'm six-two, the gently caress am I boning in!? A hearse!?"

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm definitely glad to hear the fight in #89 was induced by CO poisoning.
Seth saying, "You know what your problem is? You're so hosed up with dogs that you think a kid is a dog." was pretty out of character for him.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
They both completely overreacted.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
UYD: gently caress the Luddites.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I've listen to all the episodes and many of them multiple times, and I just realized that I have no idea how "wanky wanky" started and if it even means "wink wink" (Which I just assume because its the only close thing that makes sense). Does anyone else know its derivation?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Wanky Wanky 323-481-4422.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I don't know where it started, or even if it started on the show, but it's definitely wink wink. They say it after things that could be taken as sexually suggestive.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I for one would love a Boshk Industries pizza. Can I get one with extra cheese? I'm vegan.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I feel like they say wanky wanky after something pretentious, like when they read out some silly marketing blurb, rather than when it's sexually suggestive.

I thought it meant wanky in the same way as British people use wanky to mean pretentious or whatever. I didn't think it was meant to be wink wink.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

fuf posted:

I feel like they say wanky wanky after something pretentious, like when they read out some silly marketing blurb, rather than when it's sexually suggestive.

No it's definitely for something sexually suggestive, which is why they give out Jahs phone # right after.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it's like 'wink, wink' and it's hilarious.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

fuf posted:

I thought it meant wanky in the same way as British people use wanky to mean pretentious or whatever. I didn't think it was meant to be wink wink.

DUDE, are you cool?

What show are you listening to? Sounds like you're not lampin straight.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
all the goobatrons and the bumbalores

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Yanni Estacado posted:

all the goobatrons and the bumbalores

Christ, the rant that one of these jokes got incorporated into about how a plane getting taken down by a bird is like a Transformer getting taken out by a Roomba was a-mazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Nap time, Jew.