Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

As for the DRZ's. If you think you want an SM, get an SM. They come with nicer suspension and a better swingarm. You can get dirt wheels for it (the E and S wheels are direct fit), cheaper than you can get SM wheels for the dirt model.

Other than that, they're all the same bike, but the E isnt street legal.

This. The next rules of thumb are:

Don't buy new
Don't buy un-crashed
Don't pay more for mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

This. The next rules of thumb are:

Don't buy new
Don't buy un-crashed
Don't pay more for mods

I thought DRZ's came from the factory crashed.... I didn't know they came in this so called "un-crashed" state... What kind of world do we live in!?!

Whats the difference in suspension between say an S vs. and SM? I want the SM but I'm just curious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The S has rightside up older-style forks. The SM has upside down forks much (but not exactly) like the RM250. The upside down forks are stiffer and newer technology.

The rear suspension is the same.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Are there any tires that I should look at for onroad/offroad riding or should I be planning on a second wheelset with dirt specific tires right away? I can definitely see me taking detours etc. otw home from work to play in the dirt. The terrain around here is hard pack with loose shale and it's usually on a mountainside so going over the side is something I'd like to avoid.

Also what kind of mileage should I expect out of tires riding off/on road:

A. a pure Sumo tire

B. a pure dirt tire

C. a a dual sport tire

(I know we have a tire thread but :effort: )

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I got ~2700 out of a pilot power rear. Sides still look great but the middle is shot. This is around town commuting and a few days at the mountain twisties.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

JP Money posted:

I got ~2700 out of a pilot power rear. Sides still look great but the middle is shot. This is around town commuting and a few days at the mountain twisties.

Wow, what pressure were you running and how often did you do heavy acceleration and stuff? I get a lot more than that out of regular Pilot Powers (the original single compound design). Hell, I probably put ~4,000 miles plus a trackday on them with my CBR F2 and they still had life left, and got about the same with my KTM 625.

To be fair I'm really light on the throttle when on the street - I'll take corners quickly but usually don't power out of them or go fast on straight-ish roads. My KTM did plenty of wheelies though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Wow, what pressure were you running and how often did you do heavy acceleration and stuff? I get a lot more than that out of regular Pilot Powers (the original single compound design). Hell, I probably put ~4,000 miles plus a trackday on them with my CBR F2 and they still had life left, and got about the same with my KTM 625.

To be fair I'm really light on the throttle when on the street - I'll take corners quickly but usually don't power out of them or go fast on straight-ish roads. My KTM did plenty of wheelies though.

26/28. Usually pretty hard on them around town. Regular powers are pretty awful for longevity in the 4 sets I've had but they're pretty cheap so it's ok. I'm trying out contiforce sm's if i can find them next time.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The DRZ has been repaired, tested and all ready to go post crash. :getin:

I had some problems with an aftermarket radiator from Mishimoto that did not have proper fitment on the tubes. The seller I worked with was awesome refunding me, but it was definitely an annoyance. The used OEM one fit perfectly (As it should.)

Last final pieces are right hand side sliders front and back. The OEM ones are a joke though, I want to get a replacement set for both front and back that dont just use a rubber insert that pops out with barely any force. What's the best brand/option/price? Its a SM if that makes any difference on the wheel.

OR, is it smart to use the same slider pucks that come with the bike but just buy a threaded rod that the stock bolts can slide into?

Thanks!

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I got a drz400sm today :-)
Here it is on the way to it's new home.
I'm cool now right?!

Resource fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 6, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Super jealous!

What year?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
It's a 2007.
Has a couple modifications, aftermarket exhaust, 3x3 mod, etc. Seemed really well taken care of, and has 4k miles.
I'm in the process of clearing out some space to store it still. The bike is a lot bigger than my ninja 250.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nice, those cycra barkbusters are really nice as well.

Enjoy it, its a whole different world than your Ninja 250.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mine finally touched dirt today, proof:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

soy posted:

Mine finally touched dirt today, proof:

How's it do on that kind of ground with the street tires? That's pretty much what the trails around here all look like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

How's it do on that kind of ground with the street tires? That's pretty much what the trails around here all look like.
Street tires can do that just fine.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I only drove about 100 yards but it felt like it would be absolutely fine at a fairly high speed. You can see some video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TUbZehC4ECI#t=575s

There's a lot of areas like Joshua Tree that are full of roads like this, I'll eventually want to go bike camping out there. So this will work out nicely.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
First commute with the DRZ today. Took me about twice as long as usual avoiding the highway. Holy crap! That was pure joy. I even wheelied away from a stop sign without trying. I've found it feels hard to stay below the speed limit though. Also it is loud. :)

Full coverage insurance was 250 bucks for a year, which is much less than I expected.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So I'm still on the hunt for a DRZ-SM and have been doing a lot of research on them. I've lurked on Adv Rider for months and one of the things that I love about it are how many different bikes people use for "adventuring". So I curious, what bikes will do what I want them to do. Both on-road/offroad with good suspension/handling characteristics preferably favoring dirt and the ability to haul gear for camping/trips.

Here's the bikes I know of and the characteristics I've read:
DRZ 400 (e/s/sm) Very capable bikes with the E leaning much more towards dirt riding, while the S and SM run a slightly de-tuned engine while offering very similar characteristics to the E. Tons of after market, tough as nails and reasonably priced.

DR650 Heavy Pig of a bike, tough as nails but very unwieldy on tight trails. Really good for longer dual sport trips/packing lots of stuff on. Not sure about after market, but not a super expensive bike.

Husqvarna 610 SM Amazing bike with awesome handling/power, but in a race ready form. High cost, high maintenance but amazing to ride from what I've heard.

KTM 525 EXC Awesome bike, gobs of power with good handling. Can be hard to find on tagged for street use and the cost/maintenance is fairly high.

KTM 690 SMC God of 'tards super powerful, amazing suspensions, slipper clutch and it's orange.... Very expensive, maintenance is reasonable though and awesome handling.

Bikes I'm curious about:

KLR 650 Is this pretty much just a DR650 with different letters?

Buell Ulysses Is this more of a sport bike and less of an adventure bike or is it totally capable? I love the look, but know very little about them.

Triumph Tiger a Lot of the guys on Adv Rider love the tigers apparently. I haven't yet seen "why" they love them, are these worth looking into?

BMWf650GS Everyone seems to love this bike, I'm pretty sure it's way out of my price range though but I'm curious as to why it's held in such high regard. It's not just the Dakar sticker is it?

I'll be researching all of these in the coming weeks, but I figured I would ask and see if anybody had any input. I'm pretty sure the DRZ-SM is what I want, but it occurred to me that I have been a bit fixated on it for the past 3 years. I don't want to pass something up that may be better for me because I blinders on.

My goals over the next 5 years are to put the bike through it's paces. I'd like to hit every campsite in CA over the next 3-4 years and then make an Alaska trip. If Mexico calms down a bit I would absolutely love to do Baja one day. My budget for a new bike is about $4,000 cash, I'm pretty sure that rules out BMW's and KTM's (Drat!).

As always thanks for the advice goons and goonette's!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
In terms of DRZ choices, based on your posts you can rule the drz400-E out, its not street legal, its a full on dirt bike. the DRZ400S is the dualsport, and the SM is the supermoto, which has not only street tires but also better suspension and brakes. you can also just switch back to dirt tires on a SM too, so just get the SM if you go DRZ.

I'll make your choices simpler, get the DRZ or get the 690. :getin:

EDIT: I was in your position when I upgraded from a GS500, I test rode a 690 and I felt a little too intimidated on it coming from my anemic parallel twin bike. I rode the drz and knew it was absolutely the right choice within seconds. Grantd in a couple years I might get power hungry, right now I'm having a fantastic time with it.

Being able to buy any part for it aftermarket or dirt cheap used is also great.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 10, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I'm still on the hunt for a DRZ-SM and have been doing a lot of research on them. I've lurked on Adv Rider for months and one of the things that I love about it are how many different bikes people use for "adventuring". So I curious, what bikes will do what I want them to do. Both on-road/offroad with good suspension/handling characteristics preferably favoring dirt and the ability to haul gear for camping/trips.

Here's the bikes I know of and the characteristics I've read:
DRZ 400 (e/s/sm) Very capable bikes with the E leaning much more towards dirt riding, while the S and SM run a slightly de-tuned engine while offering very similar characteristics to the E. Tons of after market, tough as nails and reasonably priced.

DR650 Heavy Pig of a bike, tough as nails but very unwieldy on tight trails. Really good for longer dual sport trips/packing lots of stuff on. Not sure about after market, but not a super expensive bike.

Husqvarna 610 SM Amazing bike with awesome handling/power, but in a race ready form. High cost, high maintenance but amazing to ride from what I've heard.

KTM 525 EXC Awesome bike, gobs of power with good handling. Can be hard to find on tagged for street use and the cost/maintenance is fairly high.

KTM 690 SMC God of 'tards super powerful, amazing suspensions, slipper clutch and it's orange.... Very expensive, maintenance is reasonable though and awesome handling.

Bikes I'm curious about :

KLR 650 Is this pretty much just a DR650 with different letters?

Buell Ulysses Is this more of a sport bike and less of an adventure bike or is it totally capable? I love the look, but know very little about them.

Triumph Tiger a Lot of the guys on Adv Rider love the tigers apparently. I haven't yet seen "why" they love them, are these worth looking into?

BMWf650GS Everyone seems to love this bike, I'm pretty sure it's way out of my price range though but I'm curious as to why it's held in such high regard. It's not just the Dakar sticker is it?

I'll be researching all of these in the coming weeks, but I figured I would ask and see if anybody had any input. I'm pretty sure the DRZ-SM is what I want, but it occurred to me that I have been a bit fixated on it for the past 3 years. I don't want to pass something up that may be better for me because I blinders on.

My goals over the next 5 years are to put the bike through it's paces. I'd like to hit every campsite in CA over the next 3-4 years and then make an Alaska trip. If Mexico calms down a bit I would absolutely love to do Baja one day. My budget for a new bike is about $4,000 cash, I'm pretty sure that rules out BMW's and KTM's (Drat!).

As always thanks for the advice goons and goonette's!

Firstly, I am a DRZ fanboy, and I am not ashamed to admit it. I think they're some of the best bikes on the market for the money you pay. Others will argue with me and thats fine, as the other bikes you listed are far from garbage.

DRZ400 - Reliable and tough as nails. Not as quick as a dedicated dirtbike on the trails, but not a huge pig either. They are very capable, and can be made to do just about anything, as the aftermarket is huuuuuuuuuge. Some complain about them on the highway, I never minded it. Probably a personal thing.

DR650 - Basically a bigger, more highway friendly DRZ-400 with a smaller aftermarket. The DR is also shorter than the DRZ, so if you're short, that might be a consideration. The DRZ uses much newer technology all around than the DR

Husky 610 - Cant comment, never ridden one. Top-end maintenance is undoubtedly measured in minutes.

KTM 525 - Ditto on the experience

KTM 690 SMC - Never ridden one, but apparently the God of tards, as you said. Hold their value, at least around me, so expect to pay 2x DRZ-SM cost.

KLR 650 - Consider it an even more road-oriented DR650. Hugely popular, and well documented. If you want to do it with a KLR, someone has already done it and posted about it online.

Ulysses - Much like the bigger BMW's and the V-strom. A street bike that wont immediately poo poo itself offroad. Dont expect it to perform offroad like an actual supermoto or dirtbike. Not bad though.

Tiger - Dunno.

F650GS - I cant figure out if everyones love for this is BMW infatuation, or if its really that good. I cant comment though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It sounds like you got the Husky 610 confused with the 450/510sm. The 610 is the streetable model but from what I've heard they are slow and boring for what you pay. Some guy on SMJ dynod his and it had like 30 horsepower even. Then he started throwing money at it and wound up with 34.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I just received a call from a dealer about a DRZ 400SM. They are aksing 5k for an '07 with 5k on the clock, stock with brand new distanzia(sp?) tires on it. I told them I had 4k cash and it sounds like they'll do it or very close. Any tips on getting a dealer down in price? I was going to walk in and wave 40 $100 bills and refuse to go any higher.

I'm still waiting on my tax refund, it is "supposed" to be here anywhere from the 10th to the 20th. Am I better off not going in until I have cash in hand ready to buy, or should I go look at it this weekend? There's no risk of me getting all happy and financing it, I'm pretty sure my past creditors have a hit out on me. I don't really like buying from dealers, so I have almost no experience with them.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
That seems really expensive. I bought an 08 private party with 1700 miles for $4300 and it had buckets of aftermarket parts on it & an extended warranty till 2015. Even then I was paying more than I should have, but I really wanted white.

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008

Resource posted:

I got a drz400sm today :-)
Here it is on the way to it's new home.
I'm cool now right?!

Nice bike, was this picture taken on i-45?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

That seems really expensive. I bought an 08 private party with 1700 miles for $4300 and it had buckets of aftermarket parts on it & an extended warranty till 2015. Even then I was paying more than I should have, but I really wanted white.

Where are you located? I'm on the central coast CA and I've found cheaper DRZs, but they are far enough away that it pretty much evens out. This one is only like 20 miles away and my truck gets terrible gas mileage (sub 15 mpg). It's also the color I wanted, Black. I also prefer to do any mods myself because I don't trust other peoples work so I'm ok with stock.

This is the only one listed on my local CL: http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2835980131.html

There's another in SB but the guy is trying to get out from under $4k of financing and I really don't feel like dealing with that.

Searchtempest and bikefinds have a few others listed but not for much less and bikefinds shows 4k as above average but not high for an '07 DRZ on their price check.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Now that I look on CL in my area (los angeles) there arent any DRZs on there anymore. I guess if you like it get it!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Now that I look on CL in my area (los angeles) there arent any DRZs on there anymore. I guess if you like it get it!

I've been drooling over a DRZ since the creation of this thread and watching CL all over the state religiously. I was always told (by family) all dual sports suck, either buy a streetbike or a dirtbike. After reading about the DRZ in this thread and then hearing it all again on TT/Adv I wanted one badly, screw the haters.

I'm really trying to be patient and not rush things so I get the best deal possible, but buying from a dealer means no DMV title transfer (it did in GA, I'm not sure about CA so if I'm wrong please correct me!) which is around a $300 difference in price. (15$ fee +8% sale price, right?) Not having a working bike is making me really antsy though.

I'm going to quietly attempt not to sell my little Honda after I repair it. I have some concerns about possibly messing up the DRZ off-road and being without a ride, but I already told the wife I'd sell the other bike. I'm hoping she just gets sidetracked and lets it slide.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I've been drooling over a DRZ since the creation of this thread and watching CL all over the state religiously. I was always told (by family) all dual sports suck, either buy a streetbike or a dirtbike. After reading about the DRZ in this thread and then hearing it all again on TT/Adv I wanted one badly, screw the haters.

I'm really trying to be patient and not rush things so I get the best deal possible, but buying from a dealer means no DMV title transfer (it did in GA, I'm not sure about CA so if I'm wrong please correct me!) which is around a $300 difference in price. (15$ fee +8% sale price, right?) Not having a working bike is making me really antsy though.

I'm going to quietly attempt not to sell my little Honda after I repair it. I have some concerns about possibly messing up the DRZ off-road and being without a ride, but I already told the wife I'd sell the other bike. I'm hoping she just gets sidetracked and lets it slide.

Well, the $15 +8% is correct, but who says you have to put the full sale price on the pink :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You'll have to pay sales tax buying it from a dealer. I say wait on a better deal to come around. Buddy just bought a heavily modded one for 3200 in LA.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Well, the $15 +8% is correct, but who says you have to put the full sale price on the pink :smug:

Here in NJ they've attempted to combat this by rating all used cars (not bikes yet) as "Clean Retail" using the NADA guide. So after I bought my beater truck for $2k (and actually put the real price on the title) I got a letter from the DMV telling me it's worth $4k unless I can prove otherwise and to send a check for an extra $150 sales tax. Of course everyone ignores them and after three letters they stop coming, but christ what a scam.

But to be on topic, yeah DRZs can be had in the low to mid 3Ks easy. I don't really see any reason to buy newer as they haven't really changed and I've ever seen one with more than 5k miles on it regardless of year.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Joey_Redd posted:

Nice bike, was this picture taken on i-45?

That was off i-75 in plano.
I drove a long way to pick up that bike, but it was worth it :-)

I wouldn't buy a used bike from a dealer unless I was really really comfortable making sure I was getting my monies worth. I bought my first bike from a dealer, when I knew nothing, and I overpaid.

For comparison I paid 3500 for my 07 DRZ, with aftermarket parts and some other accessories from another owner who was very helpful.

Edit: Are wheelies illegal?

Resource fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Resource posted:

Yes, and in Milwaukee, very much so. If the police here can see an inch or more of daylight between your front tire and the pavement, you're in for about $800 in fines, every time, no questions asked.

EDIT: DRZ Chat. I sold my 05 SM in 07 for $4000, which was too low, and now I see them going for about $3500 around here with some mods, or very low mileage stockers.

I'm in the process of saving up for a DRZ-SM and dont personally plan to spend more than $3500

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 11, 2012

Joey_Redd
Jun 12, 2008

Resource posted:

That was off i-75 in plano.
I drove a long way to pick up that bike, but it was worth it :-)

I wouldn't buy a used bike from a dealer unless I was really really comfortable making sure I was getting my monies worth. I bought my first bike from a dealer, when I knew nothing, and I overpaid.

For comparison I paid 3500 for my 07 DRZ, with aftermarket parts and some other accessories from another owner who was very helpful.

I could tell it was in Texas, just wasn't sure where. So 3500 for it, nice. Where abouts do you live because Texas can be pretty flat, unless you go out to the hill country and on to El Paso.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Resource posted:

There's nowhere that's legal I believe. MAYBE the isle of mann but even then only in spirit.

Example: If you wheelie your bike in the Netherlands it's an 'article 5', meaning you've done something so heinously dangerous to yourself and everyone else that they will take your license on the spot and give you a free trip to the nearest judge.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Resource posted:

If you get caught.

In all seriousness I grew up doing them on dirt bikes on private land. I'm not really into wheelies, I've watched to much Youtube....

Edit: World's Dumbest too... That show is :psypop:

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2012

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Joey_Redd posted:

I could tell it was in Texas, just wasn't sure where. So 3500 for it, nice. Where abouts do you live because Texas can be pretty flat, unless you go out to the hill country and on to El Paso.

I'm in Austin. There are some fun roads nearby, but I really need to get out and find people to ride with to explore some new roads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motivational posters are pretty played, but drat. This is true.

I know a guy who isnt even 30 who is about to buy a minivan :ughh:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

While looking for a graphics kit for my DRZ I found this image.

:catdrugs:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TheDon01 posted:

While looking for a graphics kit for my DRZ I found this image.

:catdrugs:

If Avon made the Distanzia in orange my 690 would wear nothing but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What in the blue hell is going on in the tri-state area? I can't find a 690smc for sale anywhere. New, used, from a crackhead. It's horrible. The dealers are all like nope sorry we wish we had one in. Are they not making more for 2012? I wouldn't mind buying one new at this point.

• Locked thread