Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is that a Jar Jar fig on the left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

God drat, that looks so much better that this years calendar. That darth maul Santa. :3:

Except for that lump of coal that is Jar Jar :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

robot roll call posted:

Look at that little AT-AT! Look at it!

It is, and I don't use this word lightly, adorbs. :3:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

DrChud posted:

Except for that lump of coal that is Jar Jar :(

I hate myself for knowing this but I'm pretty sure that's Roos Tarpals, a Gungan captain.

At least I had to look his name up :negative:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
About how much do you guys reckon I could expect to pay to ship a Lunar Limo to the UK from the US? Pretty much every one in Britain on Ebay or Amazon is selling it for £60, on Bricklink it's available for £20 and you ask them for shipping costs or work it out yourself. I figure if the shipping is less than £35 then that's still better than the other two options.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why do I NEVER see clearance or marked down lego? Am I shopping in the wrong stores? In a terrible market? I see this success stories all the time in here and it makes me sad :[

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My cats are surprisingly chill while I build :3:

The Bounty Hunter ship was much more fun to build than it looked on the box. I love the moving parts and hurray for having a three-hinged cockpit/prison area! No having to dismantle it!

The engines are also really cool, with the fins surrounding them.

Unfortunately the minifigs are all ugly as gently caress.

Next up: Podracers!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AlternateAccount posted:

Why do I NEVER see clearance or marked down lego? Am I shopping in the wrong stores? In a terrible market? I see this success stories all the time in here and it makes me sad :[

If you aren't after a particular set but just want to get a bunch of bricks to play with, buying new is always a horrid waste of money. Even at 50% off you're paying way, way more per brick than you would to pick up a pile off Craigslist or an auction site.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

After reading these threads for years, I finally bit the bullet and bought one of the new DC sets today, the Two Face/Batman set with a Batmobile and Bank. SO MUCH FUN. Really, just nice and zen to sit down and put it together over a few hours.

I think my next set to pick up will be the new X-Wing - saw that at Target today and I was just blown away, so cool.

Thanks for giving me a fun thread to read at work, and helping me reactivate my inner child, gang.

CapnLich
Jan 2, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I just got back into Lego a few weeks ago based on this thread and finding half an aisle of 50% off lego at Walmart. Since then, I've checked out a number of other stores, and it really seems that nobody else has anything marked down that much.

Your mileage may vary though. The T6 Jedi Shuttle I got there had two bags cut and all the minifigs removed.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

About how much do you guys reckon I could expect to pay to ship a Lunar Limo to the UK from the US? Pretty much every one in Britain on Ebay or Amazon is selling it for £60, on Bricklink it's available for £20 and you ask them for shipping costs or work it out yourself. I figure if the shipping is less than £35 then that's still better than the other two options.

I am also interested in this.

I would guess that if you don't care about receiving the box, you can get all the pieces in their bags down pretty flat and it wouldn't weigh all that much in the end.

Fake Edit after a bit of research:

Amazon lists the shipping weight of the whole set as 1.7lbs which can be shipped to the UK by USPS for about $14-18 for varying shipping types.

I would say go for it. I think I probably will too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wound up getting the City Garbage Truck and the Y-Wing (I guess all Star Wars Lego are on sale at Toys R Us this week). They were both great, I really liked building them and now I definitely want to get some more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wound up getting the City Garbage Truck and the Y-Wing (I guess all Star Wars Lego are on sale at Toys R Us this week). They were both great, I really liked building them and now I definitely want to get some more.
Did you check out any of the stuff I suggested to you in the Giantbomb thread, or did you skip over it? Because everything I suggested is good quality stuff.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

hxcorpse posted:

If there isn't a Nick Fury minifig I'll just have to modify a Mace Windu one so they can all pose with Mr. Glass.
You're going to need a Jules Winnfield to go with that, son.

thebardyspoon posted:

If the price difference is really that much, sometimes you can log onto the other Amazon sites and just have it shipped to you from wherever. I used to order DVDs from Amazon.ca because they were half what they were on Amazon.com.

[edit]
Nope, can't do LEGO that way.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

My cats are surprisingly chill while I build :3:

The Bounty Hunter ship was much more fun to build than it looked on the box. I love the moving parts and hurray for having a three-hinged cockpit/prison area! No having to dismantle it!

The engines are also really cool, with the fins surrounding them.

Unfortunately the minifigs are all ugly as gently caress.

Next up: Podracers!

Plus, nifty green pieces for MOCs!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I went to Toys R Us today and not only did they have the S6 minifigs but they stacked a couple sales or something because 4 of them cost me $8.xx and tax as opposed to $14. They were tagged $3.49, had a "Sale! 2 for $5" shelf tag, and some other discount came off at the register.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Did you check out any of the stuff I suggested to you in the Giantbomb thread, or did you skip over it? Because everything I suggested is good quality stuff.

Yes I saw that. I looked for that alien tripod but couldn't find it anywhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yes I saw that. I looked for that alien tripod but couldn't find it anywhere.
I linked to it with the description, but it's always worth checking Bricklink for a particular set, you can often find them for relatively cheap. Especially if you can find one sans box, or complete but used, you can often get them cheaper than retail if you can't get them in stores. Here you can get the Tripod sealed for 15 bucks.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=98886

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Update on my attempt to reproduce Final Fantasy classes in LEGO -- Geomancer was giving me some trouble, but I recently discovered that a bucket attached to a black lightsaber hilt makes a great oversized bell.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So, why's it called a Quinjet?

VVV I could only see two but okay.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Krazyface posted:

So, why's it called a Quinjet?

I'm assuming it's using "Quin" to mean 4, same as quintuplets. Kind of lame, as something like QuadJet would be cooler. That's comics for ya'.

And a question. Are there any sites that catalogs minifigs, and specifically the different head types? I'm interested in doing some vignettes, but looking for a particular expression on a head is a little tough when most sites just seem to catalog minifigs based on what series they were included in. It would be awesome if I could just search for "smirk", or "one eye closed", or whatever, and it would show the heads that match those descriptors as close as possible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm assuming it's using "Quin" to mean 4, same as quintuplets. Kind of lame, as something like QuadJet would be cooler. That's comics for ya'.

Quin means 5! :eng101: the quinjet has five engines.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And a question. Are there any sites that catalogs minifigs, and specifically the different head types? I'm interested in doing some vignettes, but looking for a particular expression on a head is a little tough when most sites just seem to catalog minifigs based on what series they were included in. It would be awesome if I could just search for "smirk", or "one eye closed", or whatever, and it would show the heads that match those descriptors as close as possible.

Quin means five. Quad means four. Quadruplets.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yay new thread title.

Oh god new forum title.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The_Doctor posted:

Quin means 5! :eng101: the quinjet has five engines.

Sockser posted:

Quin means five. Quad means four. Quadruplets.

Well, you see..... so.... so the thing is, I...... uhhhhh, I.....

:suicide:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
As much as I'm hyped for Lord of the Rings, and to a lesser extent Monster Hunters, and to a lesser extent Marvel I've got to admit the new City excavator stuff looks pretty boss especially the mine playset:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082927.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60)

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082914.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

I'm not a big City guy but the recent stuff is really nice. Oh also, the oversized dump truck is pretty sweet.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego&pic=IMG_20120212_082859.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

Also... not really news but I love the fact that Ninjago gets progressively more bonkers with every release. Obviously the mech is awesome (seriously, it's a loving Samuri Mech), but this is the one that cracked me up. It's like they decided Kai's Blade Cycle didn't have enough swords sticking out of it and needed more.

Edit: Also screw you guys with your endless funds and storage space and modular this and millenium that.... Rise of the Sphinx for £26. gently caress yeah, got my fix for the next month or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After ogling it, I went and picked up the garbage truck. Yes it was everything I imagined. You can put a garbage can on the loader, turn the wheel and it flips up and dumps all the garbage in the body. The rear flips open and the whole bed can raise to unload a pile of garbage on your doorstep. Truck's got handles that the garbage men and women can hang on to from the side, as well as a rack of tools. I even put the stickers on this time.

I think something may be wrong with me, but I'm having fun with this simple truck. The city sets are just great value for money. I'll pick up a couple more of the City truck ranges as presents for various nieces and nephews. :3:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gravy Jones posted:

As much as I'm hyped for Lord of the Rings, and to a lesser extent Monster Hunters, and to a lesser extent Marvel I've got to admit the new City excavator stuff looks pretty boss especially the mine playset:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082927.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60)

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego%2F&pic=IMG_20120212_082914.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

I'm not a big City guy but the recent stuff is really nice. Oh also, the oversized dump truck is pretty sweet.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2012_Toy_Fair%2FLego&pic=IMG_20120212_082859.jpg&dispsize=800&start=60

Also... not really news but I love the fact that Ninjago gets progressively more bonkers with every release. Obviously the mech is awesome (seriously, it's a loving Samuri Mech), but this is the one that cracked me up. It's like they decided Kai's Blade Cycle didn't have enough swords sticking out of it and needed more.

Edit: Also screw you guys with your endless funds and storage space and modular this and millenium that.... Rise of the Sphinx for £26. gently caress yeah, got my fix for the next month or so.

Hmmm, with everything the MOC community has shown LEGO, they go and design a set that's built into the side of a rough rock wall, and no grey cheese slopes to be seen.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

If Lego built those rocks the way moccers do (rather than using burps) the piece count would go through the roof.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FreakyZoid posted:

If Lego built those rocks the way moccers do (rather than using burps) the piece count would go through the roof.

The rock wall isn't that complex in the set. Just adding in some cheese slopes and a few other sizes of sloped tiles to cap the studs on the rock wall for that set would maybe bump the piece count by 30, at the most.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hmmm, with everything the MOC community has shown LEGO, they go and design a set that's built into the side of a rough rock wall, and no grey cheese slopes to be seen.

It is a "modular build - easy start" set though so I don't know if that makes a difference. But to be honest, I don't mind the chunky rough look in stuff like this, and maybe even prefer it in a nostalgic kind of way. But for the most part I think it's more about Lego as a kids toy vs Lego as a work of art. I don't like the big moulded pieces in the easy build city sets, but it's all about the target audience.

Some of the Lord of the Rings sets have a bit of MOC like landscaping going on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865918817/in/set-72157629292932379
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865903689/in/set-72157629292804395

I think that makes more sense given there will be a big collect and display market for these.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 13, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wheee.

Also good for minifig storage.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So the Dino sets don't come out for ages in Australia and I feel this thread has let me down some what.
Where the hell are your Dino MOCs people?! Why am I yet to see safari by triceratops?
I need to know they're cool enough to save my money for.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Lizard Combatant posted:

So the Dino sets don't come out for ages in Australia and I feel this thread has let me down some what.
Where the hell are your Dino MOCs people?! Why am I yet to see safari by triceratops?
I need to know they're cool enough to save my money for.

The low parts count for the price has been keeping me away from buying them new. I like the look of a few of the sets, but it's harder to justify buying "dad Legos" when your kid is just entering the Duplo demographic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ineptmule posted:

I am also interested in this.

I would guess that if you don't care about receiving the box, you can get all the pieces in their bags down pretty flat and it wouldn't weigh all that much in the end.

Fake Edit after a bit of research:

Amazon lists the shipping weight of the whole set as 1.7lbs which can be shipped to the UK by USPS for about $14-18 for varying shipping types.

I would say go for it. I think I probably will too.

Hell yeah I'm going for that then, that works out about £35. Thanks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gravy Jones posted:

It is a "modular build - easy start" set though so I don't know if that makes a difference. But to be honest, I don't mind the chunky rough look in stuff like this, and maybe even prefer it in a nostalgic kind of way. But for the most part I think it's more about Lego as a kids toy vs Lego as a work of art. I don't like the big moulded pieces in the easy build city sets, but it's all about the target audience.

Some of the Lord of the Rings sets have a bit of MOC like landscaping going on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865918817/in/set-72157629292932379
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6865903689/in/set-72157629292804395

I think that makes more sense given there will be a big collect and display market for these.

I agree, but incorporating a lot of MOC standards I think would be a good thing for the general evolution of LEGO. Look at the early LEGO stuff, even up into the early 80's, it looks like a retard designed that stuff. Even with more recent offerings, compare early Star Wars stuff with revisions released recently. Things are much more "complex" now, but they look better and aren't really any more difficult to assemble. If you can snap two bricks together, you've basically mastered it now and forever. Even a kids toy can evolve and become technically more complex without actually being any more difficult to assemble or master. Hell, I was building complex model kits before I even hit 10; kids are pretty perceptive. These days too, you need more to grab a kids attention, and maybe seeing those complex details will draw them in, whereas seeing a bunch of raw studs is all "What? That poo poo is for babies!".

Just today, I was at a Zellers seeing what they had in the LEGO aisle (not much, but I got that Police Mobile HQ semi-truck thing). Some little kid was looking over all the sets, and then eventually he settled on..... *sigh*, a Halo set from Mega-Bloks. When his dad asked him if that's what he wanted, he said "Yeah, it's better than my Legos." Disregarding the downsides of Mega-Bloks, the kid obviously went with the set he thought looked coolest, and I have to say, some cheese-sloped rocks in an official LEGO set would be pretty drat cool.

Maybe I shouldn't have grabbed the set from his hands then started beating him over the head with it while shouting "Heretic, HERETIC!", but it's not like I wanted to shop at that Zellers again anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well if Lego were chasing the really popular market they would probably have broken their "no modern war toys" rule by this point. I think it used to be "no war toys" but obviously they've had space guns and medieval stuff forever so now it's just no tanks and harriers. That is what would attract the kids with that attitude in my opinion, not better building techniques (what kid is gonna say "oh the slopes are better on this one, I'll get that").

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I agree, but incorporating a lot of MOC standards I think would be a good thing for the general evolution of LEGO. Look at the early LEGO stuff, even up into the early 80's, it looks like a retard designed that stuff. Even with more recent offerings, compare early Star Wars stuff with revisions released recently. Things are much more "complex" now, but they look better and aren't really any more difficult to assemble. If you can snap two bricks together, you've basically mastered it now and forever. Even a kids toy can evolve and become technically more complex without actually being any more difficult to assemble or master. Hell, I was building complex model kits before I even hit 10; kids are pretty perceptive. These days too, you need more to grab a kids attention, and maybe seeing those complex details will draw them in, whereas seeing a bunch of raw studs is all "What? That poo poo is for babies!".

Even then keep in mind that the City stuff is usually marked as 5 to 12 or 6 to 12 and Star Wars and other more detailed lines 8 or 9 to 14. City is intended for a slightly younger audience and has a very different feel to the more action themed lines.

That said we may both be over thinking it. Given the fact that Lego does do MOC like landscape these days (or in the case of vehicles for lines like City and Ninjago: moulded pieces. it may be an entirely concious aesthetic decision given that modern mines do actually tend to be fairly blocky.

Well I'm almost certainly overthinking it. I just like the look of the set. It's a really interesting looking play set but it's got a bit of an old school nostalgic feel to it. The construction theme might even be enough to draw my kid away from the crack-like apeal of Ninjago (but I doubt it).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

thebardyspoon posted:

(what kid is gonna say "oh the slopes are better on this one, I'll get that").

The good ones, TheBardySpoon, the good ones. :colbert:

LEGO is not for trash children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Gravy Jones, clearly the ninjas need a mine riddled with traps and enemies. And dinosaurs. There must be dinosaurs in the mine. It's the only logical course of action.