Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Zand posted:

I guess what I mean by "baby goon pick" is that SFA3 personifies the type of fighting game playable on GGPO that goons tend to gravitate towards playing. It has been released on so many platforms and a lot of non-fg people tend to think of it as a good fighting game (but... it isnt). It just seems to be a popular choice for goon tournies (it has been picked many many times).

What actually makes Alpha 3 bad? Is it the -isms? This and CvS1 probably had the worst soundtracks in a fighter (all the tracks just felt like random beeps, and poorly-arranged techno).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Schmendrick posted:

What actually makes Alpha 3 bad? Is it the -isms? This and CvS1 probably had the worst soundtracks in a fighter (all the tracks just felt like random beeps, and poorly-arranged techno).

The answer is somewhere between PP/KK to throw, v-ism, the air recovery system, and the game feeling like a clunky slug

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm no Alpha 3 professional (before my time) but I can tell you it's not the soundtrack. I'm going guess that one of the major problems is V-ism homogenizing a lot of the gameplay. Of course that's just at a glance from watching super old tournament videos. I think the only character I can remember never being in V-ism is Guy.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm no Alpha 3 professional (before my time) but I can tell you it's not the soundtrack. I'm going guess that one of the major problems is V-ism homogenizing a lot of the gameplay. Of course that's just at a glance from watching super old tournament videos. I think the only character I can remember never being in V-ism is Guy.

I think several characters are considered better in other -isms, like isn't Gen considered best in A-ism? I dunno. Not defending A3 by the way, just an aside.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
The vast majority of good characters were V-ism dependent though, iirc.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

The usb cord on my FightStick TE S broke when pulling it out and they are sending me a new cord. Since I won a another FightStick TE S at a local tournament, I was thinking of dual modding my old TE.

I have read about the TE Kitty S but does anyone have any experience with it? Being solder-less appeals to me since I have no experience using a soldering iron at all and would probably kill the pcb if I tried to re-solder the new usb cable on. Does the TE Kitty auto-detect the console(PS3/360) when you plug it in or do you have to hold down the back or turbo button before plugging it in?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
It autodetects, It is very easy, the TE Kitty is the best PCB on the market.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
If anybody is a little bit SoCal, we have casuals at the Claremont Colleges every Saturday. It's free to come play, we have 8 stations lined up this week (including one SFA3, funnily enough).

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
A3 is unpopular because it just feels really weird and unlike a Street Fighter game. The hitboxes are completely weird (jump-ins can lose to jabs), damage from specials is anemic compared to normals, it has juggles and air recoveries, and V-ism gives some characters really ridiculous poo poo. It's not terrible, but it's also not really Street Fighter.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Brosnan posted:

(jump-ins can lose to jabs)

So it's Karnov's Revenge, basically. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fenn the Fool! posted:

If anybody is a little bit SoCal, we have casuals at the Claremont Colleges every Saturday. It's free to come play, we have 8 stations lined up this week (including one SFA3, funnily enough).

ehh only 30 min from pasadena, Ill try to make it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

von Braun posted:

The truest street fighter.

Poor planning skills and also a creep ok

soonmide
Sep 10, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Poor planning skills and also a creep ok

yeah uh all I really got from that video was a bunch of cool-rear end casual sexism

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

edit: Would people be interested in more GGPO tourneys? Probably weekly, various games, in rotation most likely.

Tournament Results

2! 3!
It all began in '94
Kept on rollin' in '95
The pieces, were in place in '96
It came to end in '97
Now it comes and here we go
KOF is here again.
Nothin's gonna stop it 'cause it's 1998!

Impromptu KoF98 tournament in #goonsgarden

I won 3 fraudulent matches with my st.C Ralf. This game owns.

I'm incredibly down.

Can we play some OLDSCHOOL MARVEL??

XvSF!!! MvC1 !!!!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Elephunk posted:

I'm incredibly down.

Can we play some OLDSCHOOL MARVEL??

XvSF!!! MvC1 !!!!

I also want to do XvSF

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fayk posted:

I've seen conflicting reports of this - and I'm not even sure if the newest versions of FBA solve it even. Good luck having Ponder ever update GGPO for this.

It just seems like many configs are susceptible, and not all of them find the same solution fixes it. My problem is I have a hard time telling when something skips if it's due to that - so I'm not sure how to really confirm well whether it's been fixed, odd as it sounds. (I play on XP on my main machine, but have another Win7 machine).

From what I read, the most reasonable assessment of the cause seemed to be related to the way FBA is doing its rendering and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager

Have you tried disabling that, rather than the "run at xyz resolution" voodoo? (I play with FBA windowed, not fullscreen)

The newer versions definitely solve the problem, they come with specific toggles in the Video menu for Windows 7 fixes. There's no telling if that adds extra lag or whatever, but the frame rate is at least normal.

As far as Desktop Window Manager goes, I haven't tried completely turning it off, but I did try running FBA with Disable Desktop Composition which I assumed had the same effect. In either event, it didn't fix the problem either.

I really need to get a Windows XP box setup somewhere for stuff like this ...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire please.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire please.

Game's not on GGPO.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I also want to do XvSF

I'm down for some XvSF casuals this evening, I'll start idling in IRC and stalking for you (i'm iLLBiE).

I don't know much for advanced tactics aside from the magneto light-char only infinite (st. HK xx HyperGrav lol), and the rogue tall-char only infinte. I also never practice the game.

But it's great playing it anyway, just using system knowledge from MvC2 and on. Just letting you know I'm not some old-school-god of it or anything.

edit: Since I'm begging for people to play with anyway, just throwing out that if anybody at all wants to play GGXX: AC on the naomi emulator netplay that's my #1 game to play that I can never find anybody down to go against

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm bad and no doubt worse than you don't worry. What IRC channel?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

#goonsgarden seems to be where it all happens now, no?

I'll be home around 5 EST, I'll try not to get sucked into Dota 2 without checking IRC first~

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good I should be on around then.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Elephunk posted:

GGXX: AC on the naomi emulator netplay

on the do what now

the nullDC naomi emulator? if it is and you can explain how to set that dang thang up, I would be eternally grateful.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
ill stomp all of you in all of these games tonight, ok #goonsgarden?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The newer versions definitely solve the problem, they come with specific toggles in the Video menu for Windows 7 fixes. There's no telling if that adds extra lag or whatever, but the frame rate is at least normal.

As far as Desktop Window Manager goes, I haven't tried completely turning it off, but I did try running FBA with Disable Desktop Composition which I assumed had the same effect. In either event, it didn't fix the problem either.

I really need to get a Windows XP box setup somewhere for stuff like this ...

Even if there are newer versions of FBA, it doesn't matter for GGPO, does it?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

boxcarhobo posted:

on the do what now

the nullDC naomi emulator? if it is and you can explain how to set that dang thang up, I would be eternally grateful.

https://sites.google.com/site/ggxxaconline/setup

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Even if there are newer versions of FBA, it doesn't matter for GGPO, does it?

Thus my comment about whether Ponder will ever update FBA :/

I mean I'm sure he's busy. I just lament it because GGPO is basically the best thing since sliced bread.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Fayk posted:

Thus my comment about whether Ponder will ever update FBA :/

I mean I'm sure he's busy. I just lament it because GGPO is basically the best thing since sliced bread.

He did an interview on Wake Up SRK a while back where he said internally he's done a lot of updates to GGPO (hence the ability for 4 players in that Japanese DBZ arcade game) and that at some point that stuff would get updated to the publicly available version. From his point of view, GGPO existing is just a tech demo that helps him sell the technology so it's not a priority for him to keep it up to date.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
cvs2 will never be on ggpo/get an online edition :(

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Trykt posted:

He did an interview on Wake Up SRK a while back where he said internally he's done a lot of updates to GGPO (hence the ability for 4 players in that Japanese DBZ arcade game) and that at some point that stuff would get updated to the publicly available version. From his point of view, GGPO existing is just a tech demo that helps him sell the technology so it's not a priority for him to keep it up to date.

Oh, I certainly understand the logistics of it. He makes no money (I'm sure almost no one who uses GGPO donates to him though I actually did once) from it, it's very grey-market, and yeah it's exactly that -- tech demo.

I just mean it's been on life support at best, with basically one client update (minor) in the last 3 years. The lobby is even more of an afterthought, with all its hilarious bugs.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Just a reminder that the vsav tourney is on Wednesday! There's plenty of time to get good at this game! You can probably beat Trykt!

interrodactyl posted:

:siren: Goons Game Poorly Online Tournament on Wednesday (2/15): Vampire Savior :siren:

If you have preferences for a game, be vocal about it (also if you say you want to play a game and then don't sign up for the tourney you are a bad person).

Forward your ports before the tournament starts. Do it. If you don't and it takes you 20 minutes before you figure out whether you can receive/send challenges you will probably be DQ'd.

But I've never played vsav before!

1) What the heck is wrong with you
2) Here's a tutorial
3) Dustloop has a forum
4) TECH HIT~

edit: you are all terrible at signing up with your SA names

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone posted this yet?

https://twitter.com/#!/CEOJebailey/status/168928173642366976/photo/1

CEOJebailey posted:

Hide your wife, hide your kids, And oh Yeah Hide your KOFXIII Footage from YT #FGC, Cause @MLG Now owns rights to it

KOF possibly confirmed for MLG? Also MLG taking down youtube videos is all kinds of hosed up. It's possible they signed some kind of exclusivity contract with SNK, that's the only reason I could see this happening.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
wooooooooooooow that would be dumb if they can take down any KOF vid without limitation. That's literally impossible though...right?

Also KOF doesn't seem very MLG? It's a good game...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
WB has been chummy with MLG for a while now yet they've never tried to pull any MK footage. Could Atlus/SNK/whoever really be so stupid as to pull something like that? (of course SNK could)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
You know what I actually hope they try that, people need to hate MLG.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
The video is still up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH1vHaOsqec so they didn't take down anything yet. They are most likely just preparing to take down reuploads of their vods.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

wooooooooooooow that would be dumb if they can take down any KOF vid without limitation. That's literally impossible though...right?
Ask the people who used to post VF4:Evo footage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The WWE Brawl stick for PS3/360 is a rebranded SFIV SE Stick, right? Gamestop is selling them for 29.99 right now, and I'm grabbing one, if only to save my thumb from my PS3's d-pad

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

kombatMedik posted:

The WWE Brawl stick for PS3/360 is a rebranded SFIV SE Stick, right? Gamestop is selling them for 29.99 right now, and I'm grabbing one, if only to save my thumb from my PS3's d-pad

Correct. I think those sticks are also using their newer sanwa knockoff stick/buttons, which are better than the first batch they did on the Street Fighter SEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Crackbone posted:

Correct. I think those sticks are also using their newer sanwa knockoff stick/buttons, which are better than the first batch they did on the Street Fighter SEs.

Awesome, I'm off to grab one now!

• Locked thread